• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kruthik Familiar

Keenberg

First Post
So the Warlock in the campaign I DM is hatching a kruthik (small reptilian spidery guy) and wants to replace her wisp familiar with it. Since it is a physical being, I thought this would make a good skill challenge by requiring a short ritual to bind it's soul to her own (I think the warlock will like that, she took Ritual Casting, anyways!)

Key skills:
Arcana- to draw the ritual circle and runes and to extract and bind the soul
Religion - to contain the soul during binding

Aiding skills: Successes give +2 to rolls on key skills
Dungeoneering - Monster knowledge
Endurance - to physically restrain the kruthik
Nature - Monster knowledge
Insight - to supervise the ritual and make sure whatever goes wrong is reported

can anyone else think of a key skill? Two seems a bit restrictive but I can't think of another good one.

Attached is the familiars stat block/card, and the back which contains info on how familiars work (the first sentence of point four being a houserule since the PC is a Kalashtar.) Feel free to use it, or use the document as a template for your own familiars, pets or monsters.

Attachments

• kruthik familiar.doc
    17 KB · Views: 106

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
can anyone else think of a key skill? Two seems a bit restrictive but I can't think of another good one.
If the ritual is physically traumatic (which I could imagine, soul-binding rituals would be), I'd make Endurance a primary skill. I'd then replace it with Athletics as a secondary skill (which also fits when the PC is trying to restrain the Kruthik).

How difficult is the SC btw? Level 1? 2?

Keenberg

First Post
If the ritual is physically traumatic (which I could imagine, soul-binding rituals would be), I'd make Endurance a primary skill. I'd then replace it with Athletics as a secondary skill (which also fits when the PC is trying to restrain the Kruthik).

How difficult is the SC btw? Level 1? 2?

I like the endurance key skill idea. I want the sc to be lvl one. The sorceress should be pretty sure to get the pet, I just want to make her work for it and RP it more than the "level up;retrain" route. Boooooring!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads