• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Krynn's Free Feats: setting-specific or the future of the game?

What's the future of free feats at levels 1 and 4?

• It's setting-specific

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • It's in 5.5 for sure

Votes: 98 77.8%
  • It's something else

Votes: 11 8.7%

Oh man, I recently had that argument with another poster when talking about Warlords. It got to the point that even when I found examples of a non-caster being able to heal allies (The Banneret), they just said "well I don't use that subclass, and they can't revive dying characters anyways, so obviously it's not the same".
the part of the argument that bugs me is "I don't use that subclass" doesn't translate to 'then don't use warlord, just don't argue it shouldn't be made fro people who want ti"

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
The category of race exists and it's a core element of the game. The designers assume you will pick a race as a matter of course, not that you will pick a specific race. That seems rather obvious, but sure...why not.
Well you could just as easily not use Backgrounds and give everyone 2 free proficiencies too, right? I don't know a DM on the planet who doesn't have a list of house rules that alter the base game, so as far as I can tell, everything is optional to some degree.

I mean, you could say you're all non-variant humans, you each get +1 to all your ability scores, and nothing but humans exist. So yeah, I guess Race isn't "optional" in these circumstances, but...it sure feels like it would be.

And what about Alignment? Languages? Experience points? They're not optional, but I know of groups that ignore them.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I don't know why it matters if it is a slot,
Really? Okay...because that's one fewer spell slots you have to use over the course of the day. That will most likely matter later. You burn a slot to have food now so you don't have a slot to nuke someone later.
but lets say it is an at will cantrip... does that change it?
Yeah, that means it would be immediately banned by anyone who wants wilderness survival to matter at all in their game. Like how many DMs who like wilderness survival now house rule Outlander or ban it entirely.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I suggested that they'll be setting specific, but in every setting. Strixhaven added magic; Ravenloft added curses; Theros added heroics; Dragonlance adds soldiering and survivors.
Every setting should have this as flavor.
I expect they will create generic versions for the new Core, but this opens up design space for Settings to modify the generic core beyond Rave and Class.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I don't know why it matters if it is a slot, but lets say it is an at will cantrip... does that change it?
Only in that you have to choose that cantrip over others. But really, why this is a Background Feature anyways and not just a function of Wisdom (Survival) checks?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Well you could just as easily not use Backgrounds and give everyone 2 free proficiencies too, right? I don't know a DM on the planet who doesn't have a list of house rules that alter the base game, so as far as I can tell, everything is optional to some degree.

I mean, you could say you're all non-variant humans, you each get +1 to all your ability scores, and nothing but humans exist. So yeah, I guess Race isn't "optional" in these circumstances, but...it sure feels like it would be.

And what about Alignment? Languages? Experience points? They're not optional, but I know of groups that ignore them.
So now you're arguing that because house rules exist there's no such thing as assumed core elements...okay. Sure. Good luck. Tschüss.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Feats were promised to be optional.

If it is no longer to be the case I will be out for 5.5.

I’ll use feats when I feel like it but there are times I will want to say no. I prefer to have the choice based on the my own preference.
I dislike Feats too, never used them in 5E. Now, branching Background trees....this I can get behind.

Really? Okay...because that's one fewer spell slots you have to use over the course of the day.
okay... but I got my benfit from the slot...
That will most likely matter later.
or not... cause if food matters it is most likely at the end of the adventure day, like when my Druid use to just burn all his leftover slots on good berry to last until the start of the next long rest...
You burn a slot to have food now so you don't have a slot to nuke someone later.
what if I don't want to or don't have nuke spells?

Remove ads