• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Krynn's Free Feats: setting-specific or the future of the game?

What's the future of free feats at levels 1 and 4?

• It's setting-specific

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • It's in 5.5 for sure

Votes: 98 77.8%
  • It's something else

Votes: 11 8.7%

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
What's funny about this is that the sword of sharpness is still in 5e, and the Lingering Injuries optional rule actually does have an option for broken ribs.
One very rare magic item and an optional rule in the back of the DMG shows how little the idea of real injuries is thought of in D&D.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Anything that lets the player actively skip food logistics if they don't want to engage with it is aces with me.
Yeah the days of starving in the wilderness, being lost for days, and taking exhaustion due to not finding shelter died a long time ago, but some people didn't get the memo.

Many a DM has found themselves frustrated to find out a 5th level character can solve all of these problems quite readily.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
One very rare magic item and an optional rule in the back of the DMG shows how little the idea of real injuries is thought of in D&D.
That's because, quite simply, the idea sucks. First of all, you have to figure out how this interacts with healing and hit points to begin with. Then, as players get bits and pieces hacked away, a few levels down the road, you have one handed, one eyed, 3 fingered, 7 toed heroes stumbling around with bad backs and bad knees (after taking an arrow to it that one time).

I played Runequest, thanks.

5e does tilt the XP charts so that you blow through he first three levels in record time compared to past editions.

So maybe not superman - but 5e does all it can to get PC's out of the traditional early level 'danger zone' as soon as it can.

WotC devs should just admit what they want to do; start everyone at lvl3, and call it lvl 1.
that is what we do... just start at 3rd or 5th.

That's because, quite simply, the idea sucks. First of all, you have to figure out how this interacts with healing and hit points to begin with. Then, as players get bits and pieces hacked away, a few levels down the road, you have one handed, one eyed, 3 fingered, 7 toed heroes stumbling around with bad backs and bad knees (after taking an arrow to it that one time).

Oh yeah? I played GURPS: We had all those afflictions by the time we were done with character creation.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

Hey, adventuring is a rough gig. Everybody's luck runs out eventually.

Remove ads