• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Krynn's Free Feats: setting-specific or the future of the game?

What's the future of free feats at levels 1 and 4?

• It's setting-specific

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • It's in 5.5 for sure

Votes: 98 77.8%
  • It's something else

Votes: 11 8.7%

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The latest UA (Heroes of Krynn, rev) adds free feats at levels 1 and 4. Is this something specific for the high-action world of Dragonlance, or is this the direction the game is heading for the future, and soon everyone will have free feats?

Here are some arguments each way:

Setting-specific:
  • There's precedent for setting-specific gimmes in Theros.
  • It helps make Dragonlance play distinct (and more appealing)
  • Feats are optional; no way they're going to change that.
  • If it went mainstream, then that would reduce the number of (variant-)humans people played. That's a bad thing.

It's the future, and will be presented in the revised PHB (2024):
  • It's a trend: first Theros, now here.
  • More power, baby.
  • Most people want to play with feats; this just normalizes existing practice.
  • If it went mainstream, then that would reduce the number of (variant-)humans people played. That's a good thing.

What do you think?
I think feats at level 1 will be here to stay. EVERY group I know of personally does this as a house-rule anyway.

I like the feat selection tied to background.

I am not as thrilled with another feat at 4th level--it lends to more power creep which the game already suffers from. However, I can understand why this might stick around:

1. Players are tired of having to contend between ASI and feats.
2. 90% of groups use feats IIRC anyway.
3. Most games don't make it much past 10th level, so adding more goodies at lower levels is essential if you want to play with more power.

Okay, but that's nothing new! What were the rules for broken ribs in AD&D?
I don't remember any. I know HP (still abstract luck/skill/moral) took days to recover but even a 18th level fighter (9d10+27+9xconmod) with 120hp would be up to full sooner then I would heal from broken ribs in real life...

ironically wizard healed quicker since they had less HP to get back... the few times we had non magic games our wizards were fully healed and out looking for scrolls/libraries when our tough fighters were still in bed.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Hey, adventuring is a rough gig. Everybody's luck runs out eventually.
Eventually, sure, but in my experience, it can happen a lot sooner than you think. Like back when my 2e group used the critical hit charts from Best of Dragon...

Nothing like losing a leg and bleeding out in one turn because a Bullywug crit you with a spear!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
that I don't understand how a non combat pillar ability (often called a ribbon) is any different then another non combat pillar ability
You're both right, because everything is circumstantial. You burn a nuke spell now, you might need it more later. You don't burn it now, you should have because you don't need it later. Same with non-combat stuff. And for a resource than can be either. You don't know if you need it more now or later, so my philosophy is that if it makes a lot of impact now, you might as well use it. If it won't make much difference and it's a limited resource, I'll save it.

Eventually, sure, but in my experience, it can happen a lot sooner than you think. Like back when my 2e group used the critical hit charts from Best of Dragon...

Nothing like losing a leg and bleeding out in one turn because a Bullywug crit you with a spear!
I am sure we can fill a whole server of funny/annoying deaths due to house rules

James Gasik

Supporter

Attachments

• wounds.jpg
    wounds.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 43

James Gasik

Supporter
wait... an optional rule hidden in the DMG!?!? how is that diffrent then 5e with the lingering wounds rules?
I don't know, I haven't read the 5e rules, but I imagine it's just as rotten and vile. I remember reading a developer weigh in on specific injuries once (maybe in Dragon), and they said the reason they didn't do this is because, by 5th level, the average adventuring party would be a sorry bunch of heroes lacking noses and limbs.

Remove ads