• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Kulan] Combining AU/AE with D&D v.3.5: I'd like some suggestions

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
You have to decide whether you are giving the bonus level 1 feat, I'd guess not as you are sticking more on 3.5.
That's already an unofficial house rule for Kulan. For any long campaign, the PCs will get a bonus feat (or a signature magic item). Also, I should mention that a use the following house rule for generating ability scores: Roll 4d6 (and drop the lowest die) 10 times; pick the best six; arrange to taste. :p

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Since you're using the Soulknife, might I suggest you check out Dragon#341 for the set of feats for that class. They are (generally) better written than their analogous ones that came out in CompPsi.

Also, you might find some value in Hyperconscious (esp. for Monks, PsyWars and Soulknives), and if you look in the Monk database in my sig, you'll find some really good stuff for Monks, Oathsworn and even Soulknives (namely, the Atavist Monk/Soulknife PrCl from RoE p133).

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Also, you might find some value in Hyperconscious (esp. for Monks, PsyWars and Soulknives), and if you look in the Monk database in my sig, you'll find some really good stuff for Monks, Oathsworn and even Soulknives (namely, the Atavist Monk/Soulknife PrCl from RoE p133).
I do have Hyperconscious.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I eliminated Favored Class and allowed open Multi-classing.
I allow open multiclassing, limited only by alignment. I've changed the alignment requirements for some of the classes I use.

Dragon Shaman -> LN, NE, N, NG, CN
Dragonfire Adept -> LN, NE, N, NG, CN
Ranger -> LN, NE, N, NG, CN
Rogue -> Cannot be Lawful Good

Last edited:

Robert Ranting

First Post
Wow, that's a lot of classes! Nevermind my previous comment, clearly there is plenty of room for a few more variants on a theme in this world. If you have a continent or region to spare, just plug in the AE races and classes there and run with it. They will sink or swim on their own merits amid such a vast and varied collection of options.

Robert "The More The Merrier I Guess?" Ranting

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Wow, that's a lot of classes! Nevermind my previous comment, clearly there is plenty of room for a few more variants on a theme in this world. If you have a continent or region to spare, just plug in the AE races and classes there and run with it. They will sink or swim on their own merits amid such a vast and varied collection of options.

Robert "The More The Merrier I Guess?" Ranting
I'm likely going to spread the AU races and classes out amongst the various regions.

The litorians are likely to end up on the continent I call Triadora, which is dominated by non-human races (i.e. minotaurs, lizardfolk, wemics, etc.). I also have place in mind for the Hu-Charad, but I'm not 100% sure about that decision yet. The faen races will most likely become extraplanar in origin.

I think the AU classes are most likely going to end up being regional classes. However, where I place the AU races might dictate where I place the AU classes. I haven't decided yet.

Baron Opal

First Post
I ran an AE game that allowed the rogue as well.

Class-wise:

Witches are great as a concept but didn't really come together for us. Their witchery powers didn't come often enough and were not usable enough for it to compete with the other magical classes. We decided that witchery powers had to come every 3 levels instead of 5, and that there needed to be 10 witchery manifestations for each theme. We felt warlocks did the power theme better.

Our greenbond became really irritated that the magister and runethane could cast every healing spell she could. Given that we had a table of 6-8 characters rather than 3-4, her bonus 3 heals were not very special.

Runethanes rock. Do not give them time to plan. They will destroy the party, NPCs, what ever balanced threat they come across. What I liked best about the runethanes is that they could hold their own if they got jumped but the player was well rewarded for execising forethought.

Magisters are just cool. They are very flexible with their magic in the AE ruleset. Where as runethanes reward forethought, magisters reward clever improvisation.

Mageblades are simply the best expression of a fighter/magic-user in a single class in 3.X. Period. You don't fight as well as the warmain or cast spells as well as the magister but you never feel second-best.

Oathsworn are monks that work in a non-Oriental game.

Warmain and unfettered work well too. The fighter was split in half, and rather than trying to be a class that could encompass any fighting style the warmain does tanks well and the unfettered does swashbucklers well.

The akashic is just a cool concept and is tailor-made to give the DM an outlet for adventure hooks and obscure information that the party would otherwise never get. It does suck, however, when you tell the party that they have 3 months of downtime and the akashic player hits you with 360 questions about the BBEG.

The main criticism I heard of the class list is that there were no "gutter-rats", no real rogues in the game.

Must dash.

Remove ads