• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos moves forward until he can see the monster and casts his promised curse. He hopes the thing isn't magic resistant, but somehow they together know very little about it.

"Try not to bunch up, the fire protection will last for some time, but no sense in exposing yourself more than you have to!"

Free: Charm domain power, +4 CHA (spell DC +2 )
Move: forward (up on the map) until Akos can see the beast
Standard: cast Curse of Ill Fortune (will save DC 17 or -3 penalty on attack rolls, ability checks, and skill checks)
spell penetration roll 23

Akos has active (I think):
  • blessed aim for 5 minutes - minus a couple of rounds
  • bless (from the allied caster) - unknown duration ( if he was in range when it was cast)
  • shield of faith (5 minutes) - minus 1 to 4 rounds? I need to check when exactly it was cast, but the duration is long enough
  • Tyche's touch (24 hours) - cast in the morning, one resistance roll spent
  • Mass resist energy (fire) - 50 minutes (minus some rounds)

REMAINING SPELLS
1st (4+1): Faerie Fire (F), Bless, Command (Will), Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith (1 min/lvl, Will)
2nd (3+1: Calm Emotions (C), Close Wounds (imm 1d4+lvl), Curse of Ill Fortune (1min/lvl, Will), Tyche's touch (24h, Will)
3rd (2+1) Inspired Aim (F), Dispel Magic, Mass resist energy (10 min/lvl, Fort)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
While Captain Camburn moves around to the other side of the building, Commander Oakfirst takes a step and unleashes four of arrows against the creature. His first shot is good, but he gets unlucky with his second shot, which hits the street. He alomst loses his grip, and his last two shots hot only the tree in between Tim and the alien beast.

Breva moves up the side street to stand behind and back up Big Tim.

Akos moves forward until he can see the monster and casts his promised curse. He hopes the thing isn't magic resistant, but somehow they together know very little about it.

"Try not to bunch up, the fire protection will last for some time, but no sense in exposing yourself more than you have to!"
A second before Akos moves, the guards on the wall fire arrows and bolts at the creature, but while they have range, they lack accuracy against the creature.

The Loremaster is soon standing next to Commander Oakfirst. While his spell bypasses the creature's magical resistance, the beast manages to shrug off Akos' spell.

OOC: Breva's bless lasts for 8 mins.

In the Warehouse:
Sobla scrambles up onto the crate closest to the stairs and tries to shoot the thug over Falen's head, but the shot is too difficult for her even with Breva's bless.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Big Tim continues to use the trees in front of him to his advantage. He ducks, weaves, and slashes out at The Beast. His first strike hits the tree, but manages to hit the creature twice with his second and third attacks.

The beast's obvious head roars at him while its strange tentacle maws open and close with a strange hissing sound. The beast lumbers around the trees, uncaring that Tim gets a chance to strike out again. Its main head and three of its maws focus on Tim and Breva.

"Too close." Breva says behind Tim.

Flames jet out from the head and maws towards the two Exemplars. While Akos' protection from fire prevents Tim from being burned, Breva has no such luck. The flames rush around him and burn the young paladin badly. At the same time, the three other maws turn towards where Emelia is hiding and breathe jets of flames at her as well.

Tim can't see anything as the flames roar around him, but he hears Breva and Emelia cry out.

"Sir Breva, get back!" Commander Oakfirst yells.

Custodio moves quickly, enhanced by Vinny's haste, and tries to use guiding light to illuminate the creature for the archers, but he cannot break past its magical resistance. His spell fizzles.

End of Round 20

Rockhorn drops the crossbow, his idea with the poison may have been useful, but the beast is resistant. Luckily, he has a few tricks of his own. Unluckily, a big ungainly human weapon will have to do.

Activating his gauntlets of giant felling, he starts Spritewing into a swooping charge, targeting the highest head. Swinging at the exact moment Spritewing leveled out from a dive added momentum to his swing, even non-magical weapon can cut very hard if swung properly. And he knew how to sunder things.

Spritewing tried to hoof the head, but between keeping his passenger in the saddle and the mortifying look of the creature itself, it was a weak attempt.

Swift: activate gauntlets of giantfelling for 3d6 extra damage
The text says: bonus on the next weapon damage roll - I believe it gets multiplied

Forgot bless, hits AC 26 for 71 or 59 damage if the halberd isn't small
@Knightfall this assumes ALL damage is tripled from spirited charge (if giantfelling isn't then the damage is 54 or 42 without power attack)

Spirited charge: Hydra head sunder with spirited charge and power attack 2; slashing damage: 1D20+12+1+2+4-2 = [8]+12+1+2+4-2 = 25
3D10+15+9D6+12 = [4, 10, 3]+15+[3, 6, 1, 1, 6, 2, 2, 4, 2]+12 = 71
- if the halberd is not made for small, remove last +12 damage (no power attack, it's clumsy to use)

Move is 2 squares down at 50', dive diagonally 3 squares down on the map and 20 or 30 feet down for half move because of downward movement then back up again this time double upward move and 3 squares further down.

Total movement: 90 or 115 = 10 + 15 +15 (horizontal) + (10 or 15) downward + (40 or 60) upward

Spritewing hoof attack; damage: 1D20+11 = [3]+11 = 14
1D6+5 = [1]+5 = 6

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Rockhorn drops the crossbow, his idea with the poison may have been useful, but the beast is resistant. Luckily, he has a few tricks of his own. Unluckily, a big ungainly human weapon will have to do.

Activating his gauntlets of giant felling, he starts Spritewing into a swooping charge, targeting the highest head. Swinging at the exact moment Spritewing leveled out from a dive added momentum to his swing, even non-magical weapon can cut very hard if swung properly. And he knew how to sunder things.

Spritewing tried to hoof the head, but between keeping his passenger in the saddle and the mortifying look of the creature itself, it was a weak attempt.
Rockhorn times his swing perfectly and he lops off the obvious head from the beast. The creature roars in pain and its tentacle maws gnash and writhe. Spritewing's kick doesn't come close to the beast, however. Before the creature can counter, the dungeonbred pegasus has flown away back up into the air.

The severed stump constricts shut to stop the flow of blood from the gaping wound. Moments after the main head is severed, one of the creature's tentacle maws shifts into an exact copy of the head that Rockhorn just cut off.

MetaVoid said:
Swift: activate gauntlets of giantfelling for 3d6 extra damage
The text says: bonus on the next weapon damage roll - I believe it gets multiplied

Forgot bless, hits AC 26 for 71 or 59 damage if the halberd isn't small
@Knightfall this assumes ALL damage is tripled from spirited charge (if giantfelling isn't then the damage is 54 or 42 without power attack)

Spirited charge: Hydra head sunder with spirited charge and power attack 2; slashing damage: 1D20+12+1+2+4-2 = [8]+12+1+2+4-2 = 25
3D10+15+9D6+12 = [4, 10, 3]+15+[3, 6, 1, 1, 6, 2, 2, 4, 2]+12 = 71
- if the halberd is not made for small, remove last +12 damage (no power attack, it's clumsy to use)

Move is 2 squares down at 50', dive diagonally 3 squares down on the map and 20 or 30 feet down for half move because of downward movement then back up again this time double upward move and 3 squares further down.

Total movement: 90 or 115 = 10 + 15 +15 (horizontal) + (10 or 15) downward + (40 or 60) upward

Spritewing hoof attack; damage: 1D20+11 = [3]+11 = 14
1D6+5 = [1]+5 = 6
OOC: I don't believe the extra damage is multiplied. And the halberd is not sized for a small character. So, that would be 27 to hit. Also using a weapon that isn't sized for Rockhorn is a -4 penalty. That's 23 to hit, which hits. Damage is 42 points minus 5 for DR. That's a total of 37 points of damage. That's enough to sever the head. Severing the head only does 1/2 the normal hps each head (or tentacle maw) has to the body.

Where exactly does Spritewing end his movement? Which square and how high he is in the air?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
A moment before Rockhorn severs The Beast's head, Vincenzo fires a bolt from the doppelganger's captured crossbow, but the shot goes wide.

On the other side of the candle shop, the Sectarian Captain goes into a full run until she is stand next to Akos and Commander Oakfirst. "I took these off the enchanter." She holds up the bracers. "They are like mine. Bracers that act as armour." She looks around for Vincenzo. "I wasn't sure if they would be useful to you or to young Vincenzo. Did he retreat?"

"He went up onto the tower," Commander Oakfirst replies. He steps in front of Akos and fires his bow again. His first two shots miss, but he manages to graze a tentacle with his third shot. "He looks at Ela. "Rockhorn just cut off a head. We need to seal that wound."

"I have acid arrow," she replies. "Hopefully that will work."

Behind the small shop, Captain Camburn seizes his advantage. He rushes into the fight against The Beast. At first, Tim wants to shout out a warning, but then he watches as the captain deftly tumbles next to the creature. The captain nearly gets to the far side of creature, but is just far enough to give Tim an advantage against The Beast.

Up on the wall, Petronille tries to fire her crossbow, but her hands are shaking from the sight of the creature, and she drops the weapon over the edge of the wall. "CURSES!"

OOC: @Neurotic noteworthy event/conversation for Akos. You're up next for the fight vs. the creature.

@Tellerian Hawke, Tim is now flanking with Captain Camburn. The captain was able to tumble just far enough to be flanking with Tim.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos focuses the power of his gloves on mixing his normal spell blast with acid. He tries to get the wound their new companion inflicted permanently seared shut. While the hit was spot on, perfect in every way...the blast fizzles, apparently blocked by the creatures spell resistance.

"Titania curse you, beast! I'm coming to get you!"
Raising his voice for others to hear
"Good work, Rockhorn! The curse didn't catch! And my acid spell was also blocked. I'll try to charm it, if it seems pacified for a moment, don't attack it, I might influence it to leave the city."
The voice grows darker after that
"If not, I'll introduce it to some of the darker aspects of the fey."

OOC: in other words, in the next round Akos casts charm monster and the next one tries to demoralize/cower it

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Akos focuses the power of his gloves on mixing his normal spell blast with acid. He tries to get the wound their new companion inflicted permanently seared shut. While the hit was spot on, perfect in every way...the blast fizzles, apparently blocked by the creatures spell resistance.

"Titania curse you, beast! I'm coming to get you!"
Raising his voice for others to hear
"Good work, Rockhorn! The curse didn't catch! And my acid spell was also blocked. I'll try to charm it, if it seems pacified for a moment, don't attack it, I might influence it to leave the city."
The voice grows darker after that
"If not, I'll introduce it to some of the darker aspects of the fey."

OOC: in other words, in the next round Akos casts charm monster and the next one tries to demoralize/cower it

The Beast's tentacle eyes flicker towards the Loremaster, while it keeps its newly-formed primary head focused on Big Tim.

Tim brings his blade around from the right in a vicious arc that cut's a deep wound in the The Beast. The creature's tentacle maws snap and and writhe and The Beast roars at Tim. The large knight shifts his weight and brings his sword around from the left, but Tim misjudges the distance between himself and the trees next to him, which are now on fire. His blade cuts into the wood and is stuck for half a second. Tim pulls the blade free and chops down with the blade. It is another vicious wound.

The Beast's strange shifting head shifts in the writing mass to look directly at the knight. Then, it does something that Tim couldn't have suspected. The Beast's eyes flash red and begins to grow larger. It is soon towering over everyone, even Tim.

"That's new," Ela says before anyone can ask her. "It didn't do that before."

The Beast roars. It lashes out towards Tim with its primary head and bites the knight... hard! The wound cuts through armour, skin, and bone. Two of its biting tentacles lash out at Tim as well. He tries to block the first one with his shield while the second tentacle maw bites the half-ogre knight's leg.

Breva looks back, after withdrawing to stand by the candle shop, to see Tim fighting for his life, although he barely see anything. His face is burnt badly and his clothes are still smoking. He tries to say something but his lungs hurt too much.

"Sir Valencia! Courage!" Commander Oakfirst yells. "You must not fall!"

The Beast turns its other tentacles on Captain Camburn who was pushed back when the creature shifted its size. The alien creature lashes out at the man three times. But, Camburn is a canny foe who is quick on his feet. He dodges the first two tentacles but is unable to avoid the third one, which bites down hard on his shoulder. The captain cries out in pain.

OOC: The Beast's attacks are posted on the OOC thread. Its first attack vs. Tim hits AC 47 (with True Strike) for 36 points of damage. I'm not sure if the second attack hits vs. AC 28 (for 18 points of damage). The third attack hits AC 35 for 16 points of damage. If the second attack hits, then Tim is at -6 hp. Otherwise, he is at 12 hp.

Captain Camburn takes a critical hit that does 27 points of damage. He has 31 hp left.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Falen (meanwhile, underground in the warehouse):
The brelish thug is clumsy. They are blunt instruments. The charging one up the stairs appears foolish to Falen. He hits the thug with the human-bane magical dagger in a single slice, a flick of his wrist, really. The weapon claws deep into the side of the thug as Falen shoves the thug down the stairs with the hit. The dagger penetrates between the ribs. Falen whispers to the thug, "I'm...sorry." He looks into the thug's eyes, wondering had this fellow a mentor like Falen had, had the opportunities that Falen had, would he not have perished in a basement guarding someone or something that didn't give a damn about him. Otherwise, Falen is emotionless. He hears the footfalls of the combatants nearby. Something wicked this way comes. He briefly considers joining that fight. However, he's set on the cleric at the moment. First things first. He says a prayer to Tyche for those above. Perhaps divine luck will accompany them.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Falen (meanwhile, underground in the warehouse):
The brelish thug is clumsy. They are blunt instruments. The charging one up the stairs appears foolish to Falen. He hits the thug with the human-bane magical dagger in a single slice, a flick of his wrist, really. The weapon claws deep into the side of the thug as Falen shoves the thug down the stairs with the hit. The dagger penetrates between the ribs. Falen whispers to the thug, "I'm...sorry." He looks into the thug's eyes, wondering had this fellow a mentor like Falen had, had the opportunities that Falen had, would he not have perished in a basement guarding someone or something that didn't give a damn about him. Otherwise, Falen is emotionless. He hears the footfalls of the combatants nearby. Something wicked this way comes. He briefly considers joining that fight. However, he's set on the cleric at the moment. First things first. He says a prayer to Tyche for those above. Perhaps divine luck will accompany them.
The thug's eyes go wide. Obviously, he was not warned about the weapon Falen is wielding. The man gurgles and then goes down in a heap on the stairs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads