• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The two guards, Maena and Zenpher, rush towards the open doorway of the warehouse. The taller human woman quickly outpaces Zenpher who is encumbered by his breastplate. She reaches the door where Mutt is guarding the entrance. He growls at her and she stops right in front of the door.

"Whoa! I'm on your side, big pup!" She says while hold up her hands. Her weapon is sheathed. She looks back at Zenpher.

"Easy," the halfling says as he comes up behind her. "He's probably on edge."

Mutt barks and growls again.

"Mr. Tuck, can you call your friend, please!" Zenpher shouts, hoping the kobold can hear him.

Tuck hears the halfling call out but is cautious. "Sobla, go check."

She nods and goes to to the doorway and peers around the corner of the open doorway. She sees the two guards and relaxes. They went to check on the Sectarian Captain.

"It's okay," she says to Mutt. "Friends."

The big dog relaxes. Maena moves into the warehouse past the dog and Sobla while Zenpher stops in the street to catch his breath. The young Bluffside Regular is soon standing next to Falen. She doesn't see Tuck who is standing behind the open metal door.

"Captain Camoys gave this to me," she says while holding up the gloves that Ela gave to her. "She says these are magical... and safe. She not sure what they do, but she thinks they should help." She looks back towards Mutt and Soba. Mr. Zenpher is coming too. He has a magical belt for one of you too."

She sees the blood on Falen's danger. "More Loyalists? The captain told us to give you a hand in the tunnels."

OOC: Maena and Zenpher both double move.
Sobla moves to the warehouse's door.

Tuck - Listen check: 1D20+7 = [16]+7 = 23 (success)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
After The Beast shifts in size and bites at both Big Tim and Captain Camburn, Unglar begins shaking in fear. His normal bravado is completely gone. The creature is a terror well beyond his ability. He turns to run without realizing the creature can now reach him.

"Unglar! No! Don't Move!" Captain Camburn shouts at the Elite, but the fear in Unglar's heart is too much for the halforc guard. He tries to get away and The Beast quickly turns on the Elite.

It bites down on Unglar's head and shoulders with its primarly head. Then, the creature's tentacle maws all lash out and bite the half-orc guard. He tries to scream in terror, but the creature rips Unglar limb from limb. The main head grabs hold of what is left of the Elite and swallows it down.

Burchard watches the half-orc's death unfold right next to him. His hands begin to shake.

"Burchard! Don't move!" The captain orders.

Up on the tower, one of the Regulars watch's The Beast kill and devour Unglar. He shakes in fear. He drops his crossbow and runs away into the tower. None of the other guards try to stop of them. Each of them is fighting their own terror.

Down on the street, Custodio hears the captain yell out his warning and watches as The Beast kills Unglar. The anger takes him over. "Emelia, get out of here. Go help the other Exemplars." The Vanquisher cleric draws his greatsword and charges the creature. He hopes it can't do to him what it just did to Unglar, but he will not wait on the sideline any more. "FOR THE PURIFER!"

He tries to drive the blade into The Beast, but the blade just slides off the creature's scales.

End of Round 21

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Falen:
Watch for traps!” Falen speaks loudly to Tuck in Kobold, “Wait for me! En guarde!

Falen wants to assess whether they are being baited to a particular spot downstairs (see OOC). He looks at Maena and takes the gloves on his turn. “No idea what these things do, but let’s go anyway.

He speaks to the thug downstairs in Cliffspeak, “Just a moment, sweetpea. We shall be along in a moment!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: Cut and pasted from Discord for @ScottDeWar_jr.

Vinny slows his breathing and focuses his mind. this beast is growing he thinks with sudden alarm. His finger jerks the trigger and a good shot goes slightly wild. The hide or exoskeleton or whatever it is deflects most of the effect of the bolt and it only chips some of the shell away. He watches in horror as the half orc exemplar is eaten and taken aback at the fleeing guard on the wall.

"I am dying of poison and I just did damage! You stand your ground!" the wizard hopes his words will embolden the men, "Now, fire at will!"

OOC: Move action load crossbow, Standard action shoot crossbow, hasted action load crossbow
Next round cast magic missile

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Watch for traps!” Falen speaks loudly to Tuck in Kobold, “Wait for me! En guarde!
Tuck nods. "Always."

Aust Thale said:
Falen wants to assess whether they are being baited to a particular spot downstairs (see OOC). He looks at Maena and takes the gloves on his turn. “No idea what these things do, but let’s go anyway.

He speaks to the thug downstairs in Cliffspeak, “Just a moment, sweetpea. We shall be along in a moment!
While Falen doesn't see anything suspicious just beyond Tuck, he senses that the Loyalists are trying to draw him and kobold into an ambush. Tuck seems to sense the danger as well.

Tuck's keen ears twitch. He risks a quick glace around the edge of the walls. There is another metal door to his right. The thug that tried to stab him is standing to his left. Two crossbows lie on the floor in front of him. He's sure there are other foes there in the dark, but he'd have to move forward to see them properly. He hears a bowstring being drawn tight. They are close.

The kobold urban ranger looks back at Falen. "Archers," he says. "More than one."

OOC: Tuck - Listen and Spot: 1D20+7+2 = [19]+7+2 = 28
1D20+7+2 = [7]+7+2 = 16

Brelish Thug - Bluff check: 1D20+1 = [5]+1 = 6
Brelish Thugs - Move Silently and Hide: 1D20+8 = [7]+8 = 15
1D20+8 = [2]+8 = 10
Closest thug has cover: Hide -> 10 +2 =12
Other thugs have greater cover: Hide -> 10 +8 = 18
Gloves of Uncanny Luck: +2 luck bonus to AC, +2 luck bonus to saves, +2 competence bonuses to Spot and Listen.

Rockhorn turns Spritewing deftly in the air and the pair flies over the beast back the way they came. Small item falls from behind the dwarf smashing into the hulk and sizzling on the flesh, finishing the job wizards acid arrow started.

Move: retreive Acid flask
Standard: Acid flask: 1d20+6+1+1+2 = [10]+6+1+1+2 = 20; 1d6 = [2] = 2
I had to write to hit from scratch, I didn't calculate it earlier it' BAB + dex + aerial attack from above + inspired aim

Sprite move: eastward (up on the map) 7 squares

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Rockhorn turns Spritewing deftly in the air and the pair flies over the beast back the way they came. Small item falls from behind the dwarf smashing into the hulk and sizzling on the flesh, finishing the job wizards acid arrow started.
The acid coats the pulsing wound and seals it shut.

Captain Camburn lashes out at the creature with he greatsword and his adamantine dagger. He manages to hit The Beast twice, once with each weapon.

Commander Oakfirst snarls in anger at the loss of one of his best Elites and fires three arrows from his composite bow, but he cannot hit the creature without also risking hitting Big Tim or Rockhorn as he and his mount fly by. His shots go wide.

Breva takes out his healing wand and activates it. The worst of his burns are healed, but he is still in no condition to fight against the creature toe to toe. He takes a step back towards the fight. If he can get close enough, he should be able to help Tim.

The Tower:
The guard running down the stairs sees and hears Vinny's shouted command. He freezes on the stairs, still frightened. But, he takes a deep breath and climbs back up to the tower to retrieve his dropped crossbow. He will do what he can. Right now, he's more worried about the Sectarian than the creature.

Of all the other guards on the tower, on the young female wizard hears Vinny's orders. He's a Sectarian and her superior, and despite her fear of the creature and Vinny, she tries to think of an idea.

The other guards don't hear Vinny's commander over the sound of combat, They all rush into the tower in fear.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Moments before the creature falls, Emelia runs towards the warehouse to help fight against creatures she has a chance of hurting. Just as she nears the door and is about to speak to Zenpher, the ground shakes as the creature falls due to the tower wizard's grease spell.

"What!?" Zenephar says. "Did they kill it already?"

The two guards look back to where the creature had been standing. At first, they don't see anything, then two of the creature's heads appear above the shop between them and The Beast.

"I- I don't think it's dead," Emelia says, her hands shaking.

"Are you okay?" Zenephar notices the burns on her body.

She shakes her head. "Let's not worry about that. I'm here to help. What's happening?"

"More of those damn thieves, I think," he says as he moves into the warehouse past Mutt. He pats the big dog on the head and points to Emelia. "Friend."

Mutt glances towards the cindered guard and whines. Then he barks and wags his tail.

He steps past Maena and stands in front of the bench next to her. He notices that Falen is ready to strike. He holds up the magical belt that the Sectarian Captain gave to him to give to the Exemplars, but then he decides to strap it around his shoulder like a harness until a better moment.

"Emelia is coming to help," he says. Then, he asks. "How many?"

Maena preps her crossbow. She will hold her position while the Exemplars lead the way inside. She lets Falen answer.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos had his actions planned, but with the extreme violence of the beast, he's better as support. For the moment, Sir Breva needs to take care of himself, he at least has some spells at his disposal and is out of immediate danger.

Sir Valencia and captain Camburn however are another story.
"Tim, captain, don't resist or try to avoid my next spell, it is healing at range!"

OOC: I read about healing blast, people in general agree that whatever increases blast damage, increases the healing - the discussion is only questioning hellfire blast - but no one contests mortal bane, psionic shot and other things that add to damage. But no specific rules are mentioned, it is just the language of the blast - your blast does healing if you spend turn attempts and your damage is X with activated extra effects

Free: speech - the idea being that I hit flat-footed touch AC because they don't evade
Swift: Turn undead for healing
Standard: I'm not sure if touch attack is needed for friendly fire, but it makes sense in combat AC 20 vs Tim for 11 and AC 9 vs captain for 5
neurotic: D20 + 7#healingtouchattacktim → 20(13 + 7)#Healing touch attack Tim
neurotic: D20 + 7#healingtouchattackcaptain → 9(2 + 7)#Healing touch attack captain
neurotic: 3D6#healingblastfortim → 11(3 +3 +5)#Healing blast for Tim
Captain receives 5

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads