• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [OOC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
@Aust Thale don't feel obligated to donate / sell items just because you're over the curve for the moment. We can adjust that next time - and besides, wealth by level is just a guideline. The group have you items you can use, so feel free to use them.
Thanks for saying that! It’s appreciated. There is a more practical reason alongside game fairness that I’m putting the Dancing Dagger back. It didn’t get used in the Crossed Candle battle. That’s a weapon that ought to be deployed, and I didn’t do that because my character’s limited action economy. Somebody else could have used it, and if not, it needs to be sold to give everybody more gp such that you all can maximize what you want.
Yes, I'm leave this up to Aust Thale to decide what he feels is best for his character "in game". He doesn't have to put either dagger back, but he's making a conscious effort to try to use both of his shares... economically?

I've moved the dancing dagger to the "To Be Sold?" list. It doesn't have to be sold, however. Another PC can use it, if there is a need.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
You know, as a semi-related topic, I’ve noticed that allocating treasure in PBPs is a huge pain. I noticed it in a bunch of the games I’m in. People just forget that there is items and nobody sticks anything on their sheets. Or people can’t decide and then items just get forgotten completely.

So, as a random topic of conversation that has nothing to do with current treasure allocation, I was brainstorming of different ways a pbp can do this. (Maybe I should put this in its own thread??)

One way that I thought was to do it as a hockey draft but I think that would also have its issues. So, if there’s 5 people, you list the top 5 most expensive items and everyone takes a turn (roll to see what order people pick) and then you just keep doing 5 items at a time, each time, someone different gets to choose first. Then, everything is allocated and people can trade or sell or whatever.
Yes, it has been challenging... and as a fellow hockey fan, I like how you think. It is something to debate, at the very least.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
yes :), but just removing cold iron weapons from my list will bring me back to 'allowed' budget. Also, last time I took a bit less (we all did due to human bane dagger value given to Falen - this is nothing against Aust Thale, we all agreed it fits his character best - just a fact)

Akos is not dead set on destroying ALL cold iron weapons - but that feybane sword will be ritually sacrificed TODAY in his temple. His preference would be to destroy those, but he is realist enough to understand that it is useful against more than just fey and guards need to be equipped with such weapons.
You do have 18,013 gp of unallocated value from the first share list. It is perfectly fine to use those values, as per @Aust Thale is doing with his two shares. There are some very good items to claim this time around. I simple made a separate list for the Crossed Candles because it was easier for me to organize everything. Combining all the loot into one spreadsheet would have been a headache. 😖

All that is required for the second list are a reasonable amounts given to the NPCs with half shares. It would be too much of a headache to get everything exactly evened out. You guys need to decide what you really want, how much of the remaining share value from the first treasure list you are willing to allocate, and decide which items you really don't need.

I'll figure out what each of the guards get from what is leftover.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
What do you guys think of @TaranTheWanderer's idea of a Magic Item Draft?

Each of you would roll a d20 and the highest roll gets the first draft pick. Custodio would be included but with a -5 penalty (or he goes last). Commander Oakfirst, Captain Camburn, Breva, and Ela wouldn't be included (all of their share values have been decided). The other NPCs wouldn't be allowed to pick anything until round 2 (or 3?), and each NPC will have a -10 to their draft roll, so the PCs will have the best chances to pick the best items. Any NPC who already has an item (not a potion), gets that item for their first pick.

Since this was Taran's idea, I say we let him pick once for Vitus at the end of round 2 (or 3?).

IF you guys are interested in the idea.

EDIT: Potions won't be included in this idea since so many of those have already been used.

NPCs can't pick items that are more than 1-1/2 time the value of their half-shares. Also, if an NPC picks an item more valuable than their half-share, that character is done. no more items. NPCs definitely start in round 3.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The question is, how many rounds?

EDIT: The idea is first round in order, then second round in reverse order, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
We could also add in the unallocated magic items from the first treasure list.

The lesser NPCs can't pick those items, however.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads