• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
While Maur tries to free himself from the webs, Shouzas chortles at the spiders again. The massive magical beast moves to engage the two large spiders. He nearly slices one of them in half with his claws and then claws and stings the other spider. Both spiders shriek and try to run, but Shouzas cuts one of them in half as it flees and then charges after the other one.

All of the spiders in the courtyard begin to flee. Several of them crawl up over the walls and across the roofs to freedom, but several of the large spiders turn on the smaller ones. Next to Caerth, a large spider bites and kills a smaller one and begins to web it up to be devoured later.

Caerth and Quinn hear another one of the spiders shrieks beyond the open double doors as a large spider preys on its weaker kin.

Caerth wild shapes out of his lizard form and screams at the large spider next to him. The spider hisses but choose to bundle up its next meal and carrying it out of the courtyard. It gets up on the top of the wall and soon disappears over it.

"We're letting them go?" Quinn asks.

Caerth nods. "They won't be any more trouble," he says.

The smaller spiders scramble away from you. The spider next to Phar scrambles over the dais and hides itself in the small treasure room. Several of the others rush back into the open corridor and disappear back into the ruins.

Aureus watches as Shouzas rampages across the roof. "Wow! He is pissed off! I'm glad he's on our side. He's still on our side right?"

"Shouldn't you stop him?" Quinn asks.

"Survival of the fittest," Caerth says plainly.

"OH! that's brutal! He just cut another one in half!" Aureus says. She ponders the scorpion's behaviour. "He's not trying to eat them though."

She watches as he rushes towards another spider that is fleeing south. The magical beast attacks it until it is dead ,which doesn't take long. Then, the scorpion makes his back to his lair. He notices you all gathered in the courtyard. At first, you think he might attack, but then he chortles happily and comes down into the courtyard.

You can see that Shouzas' eyes are glowing brightly. He instinctively goes toward the open doorway and makes a deep sonic sound. You can hear some of the fleeing spiders shriek in fear then all is quiet. The scorpion starts cutting away webs with his sharp pincers. you're not sure if he's looking for something or is just tidying up.

He turns and looks for Caerth. The scorpion turns and snaps one of his pincers towards the open doorway.

"Maybe he wants us to get ride of the rest of them?" Quinn considers.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Not much to do after the wizard dismissed the outsider. Maur untangles himself from the webbing and goes to close the door on the druid resting place, just in case.

OOC: I don't think we need two more rounds of killing the nightshade, unless you think it can really threaten us with its resistance and we have to struggle

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Angus snarls, clearly perturbed: "These spiders are not behaving naturally. They have been corrupted by the Nightshade. They must all be destroyed!"
Angus looks around for another spider to chop up.

Race: Silver-Grey Elf Paragon
HP: 54/54
AC:
23; FF:19 T: 16
TempAC: 25 FF:21 T:18
Spot:+12
Listen:+8
Search+13
Mage Hand; Open/Close; ❏❏Detect Magi;❏❏Electric Jolt;❏❏Prestidigitation
Fort:+4
Will: +8(10) (+1/+2 vs fear)
Refl: +8
Initiative: +3
Range:+9/+4
Melee: +6/+1
1st [7+1](DC20) ❏Familiar Pocket ❏Feather Fall; [][]*Magic Missile; [] Protection from Evil; [] Slide []Feather fall
2nd[6+1](D21) ❏Cat's Grace (DC:21)[X]Glitterdust [X][X] [] *Scorching Ray ❏Web; []Luminous Swarm
3rd[6+1](DC22)❏Dispel Magic ❏*Fireball ❏Fly; [ ] [ ]Haste; ❏*Lightning Bolt [X] Summon Monster III
STR:11
DEX: 18 + 4
CON: 12 + 1
INT: 28+9
WIS: 12 +1
CHA:12 +1
XP: 65500/66000
(DC23)4th [5+1❏❏*Fire Shield ❏*Ice Storm [] [] polymorph []Summon Monster IV
5th(4+1) (DC24) [X] [X]Dismissal ; []Wall of FIre; []Break Enchantment; [X] Wall of Force
6th (2+1)[DC25] []Disintegrate; []*Wall of Force; []Cacophonic Burst

Phar watched Angus as he raged at the spiders. Phar didn't feel any emotional attachment to the vermin: his decision to let them live was based solely on his respect for Cearth. If the centaur wanted to kill the arachnids, he didn't feel compelled to stop him. These creatures were apex ambush predators that would kill anything they thought was a meal. In his younger days, he'd be sent to wipe nests from the forest to protect travellers.

With a gesture and word, he dropped the Wall of Force then pulled out his bow.

"Shall we finish exploring the ruins?"

Force Wall 1 round/level: round 3 of 11
Glitterdust: 1 round/level 2/11 (-40 to hide)

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Angus pauses a moment, with a reflective look in his eye. He nods in agreement with Litrix.

Angus says, "I will follow the will of Caerth. What he says is law, for he is the Druid, and I am but a lowly Reeve. Thank you Litrix, for reminding me of that."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Not much to do after the wizard dismissed the outsider. Maur untangles himself from the webbing and goes to close the door on the druid resting place, just in case.
Maur finds the doors closed shut already. He checks to make sure they are still secure and that they can be opened again without having to magically unseal them. Then, he notices one of the medium-sized spiders hiding in the small treasure room behind the dais. It is doing its best to stay hidden, stay quiet. It make no aggressive movement or sound towards the dwarf champion.

Angus snarls, clearly perturbed: "These spiders are not behaving naturally. They have been corrupted by the Nightshade. They must all be destroyed!"
Angus looks around for another spider to chop up.
The Northlands centaur moves towards the large spider climbing up over the double doors leading out of the courtyard.

Caerth considers the centaur' words but he is more concerned with Shouzas' behaviour. The magical beast seems very concerned about, something. Could there be something else inside the ruins? Something left behind by the nightshade. He moves towards the scorpion and speaks to Shouzas in a firm voice. "Shouzas, calm down!"

Shouzas stops slashing at the webs and turns to Caerth. The creature's eyes are still glowing, but as the half-orc druid stares down the creature, the glowing fades. Shouzas chitters happily at Caerth and relaxes, somewhat. The creature is still on edge. Caerth puts his hand on the scorpion's head.

He looks back towards Angus who is about to chop the spider in half. "Angus, leave that spider alone!"

OOC: Caerth - Wild Empathy check (with Bully Animal): 1D20+12 = [19]+12 = 31

"Angus, stop!" Litrix calls after centaur charges after spiders
"We need to stay together, and they are fleeing. Besides, the druid says it's fine! Trust Caerth!"
Angus pauses a moment, with a reflective look in his eye. He nods in agreement with Litrix.

Angus says, "I will follow the will of Caerth. What he says is law, for he is the Druid, and I am but a lowly Reeve. Thank you Litrix, for reminding me of that."
The spider takes advantage of the pause to finish climbing over the wall and running off into the hills.

Caerth keeps his focus on Shouzas while talking to the others. "I think there is something else that is more important than the spiders. Shouzas is still nervous. If there are more spiders and they attack, then we will do what we must."

Aureus goes over to the dead spider that Angus chopped in half and looks at it closely. "I'm no expert, but this spider looks, strange. Should it have these ugly looking bumps on it?"

Caerth comes over to look at the dead vermin. He shakes his head. "Angus, we should have let you kill that other one. The spiders have some sort of disease. I don't think it is natural. The infection is probably how the nightshade controlled them." The half-orc druid shakes his head. "It will be kinder to kill them. They'll probably all die within a few days."

"Can you cure them?" Aureus asks.

"Maybe, but it would have to be soon... and there is something else here," Caerth inspects the spiders guts and Aureus looks like she's going to be sick. "Yes, this isn't just a disease." He wipes his hands on the grass and stands. "I think spiders might be cursed."

OOC: Caerth - Knowledge (nature) check: 1D20+20 = [14]+20 = 34

Phar watched Angus as he raged at the spiders. Phar didn't feel any emotional attachment to the vermin: his decision to let them live was based solely on his respect for Cearth. If the centaur wanted to kill the arachnids, he didn't feel compelled to stop him. These creatures were apex ambush predators that would kill anything they thought was a meal. In his younger days, he'd be sent to wipe nests from the forest to protect travellers.

With a gesture and word, he dropped the Wall of Force then pulled out his bow.

"Shall we finish exploring the ruins?"
"We need to try to find those that escape inside," Caerth agrees. "We need to end their pain, or try to heal them. I doubt they'll be willing."

"There is one in there," Aureus points towards the small room behind the dais. She looks at Maur and Phar. "Is it still there?"

Race: Silver-Grey Elf Paragon
HP: 54/54
AC:
23; FF:19 T: 16
TempAC: 25 FF:21 T:18
Spot:+12
Listen:+8
Search+13
Mage Hand; Open/Close; ❏❏Detect Magi;❏❏Electric Jolt;❏❏Prestidigitation
Fort:+4
Will: +8(10) (+1/+2 vs fear)
Refl: +8
Initiative: +3
Range:+9/+4
Melee: +6/+1
1st [7+1](DC20) ❏Familiar Pocket ❏Feather Fall; [][]*Magic Missile; [] Protection from Evil; [] Slide []Feather fall
2nd[6+1](D21) ❏Cat's Grace (DC:21)[X]Glitterdust [X][X] [] *Scorching Ray ❏Web; []Luminous Swarm
3rd[6+1](DC22)❏Dispel Magic ❏*Fireball ❏Fly; [ ] [ ]Haste; ❏*Lightning Bolt [X] Summon Monster III
STR:11
DEX: 18 + 4
CON: 12 + 1
INT: 28+9
WIS: 12 +1
CHA:12 +1
XP: 65500/66000
(DC23)4th [5+1❏❏*Fire Shield ❏*Ice Storm [] [] polymorph []Summon Monster IV
5th(4+1) (DC24) [X] [X]Dismissal ; []Wall of FIre; []Break Enchantment; [X] Wall of Force
6th (2+1)[DC25] []Disintegrate; []*Wall of Force; []Cacophonic Burst

Phar readies his bow to shoot the hapless spider. He has very little that can help a cursed spider.

"They are scattered - must we hunt them? If you command us to slay them when they cross our paths, then we could do so but to hunt them down may take much precious time and to try to heal them would take longer. And to what effect? So that they become a danger for other travellers that may pass this way? If they will die then perhaps we should leave those we cannot find to their fate. Our quarry heads to an unholy place an our time is limited. We only search here to find what may benefit our quest - do we dare tarry longer on what may be a fools errand?"

Remove ads