L&L 5/21 - Hit Points, Our Old Friend

Bad idea on the cleric side.

a d6 wizard could potentially have a very loow "bloodied" amount. Having to wait for 1/2 HP would have wizard always and constantly waiting in OHKO 2HPS mode before being topped over.

Instead Clerics could be the best healer by being the most reliable healer as his heals always work. Only spell slots limits them.

The warlord could heals more often but only to the barely hurt and never the "lucky to be alive" or dying.

Drruids would have fewer resources than the cleric. Bards would have weaker heals the cleric.

Heh, the Wizard should never be in combat to get bloodied in the first place.

On healers, I dont subscribe to the Cleric being the “best” healer. I prefer no class has a monopoly. I feel, a Bard who chooses options to specialize in healing should be as good as a Cleric who chooses options to specialize in healing.

Its possible for a Cleric to choose both abilities that heal “inspirationally” (before bloodied) and abilities that heal “miraculously” (after bloodied). Resource management makes the game more interesting for a healer.

Last edited:

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Physical aspects, Size, Bulk, and Durability, Energy, Experience (XP), Luck (hit die roll?), Cosmic Significance (deific gifts or hindrances?) Are these all mechanical elements in the game you think?

How about all damage is noticeable? Some Damage, A lot of damage, and Dropped. Half damage appears to be a mechanical break point. Unnoticeable hits don't really help in selecting who to hit among multiple opponents.

I still disagree with Saving Throw Scores not be separate from Ability Scores, but I think that ship has sailed.

For me, solo play is a different beast and does require some re-balancing of the setting. I see the game as being set up where challenges are set up for a group, not a single opponent. Solo play at least means getting some NPCs to help you out. The default would be too difficult otherwise.

It sounds like healing surges are in, in a way. I'm not sure what the Hit Die healing mechanics will exactly be, but we'll see I guess. I can understand wanting to support play without a dedicated healer for combat-oriented classes.

If we must have healing surges, if there is any divisiveness, I'd suggest simply making them a core option. That probably doesn't sound very easy, especially if the game focused around combat.

Just like there are a variety of ways to *deal* damage. I appreciate a variety of ways to *heal* damage. For me, it gives the game more traction. Even more realism sotospeak.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Heh, the Wizard should never be in combat to get bloodied in the first place.
Did the enemy forget their bows, javelins, and rocks?
On healers, I dont subscribe to the Cleric being the “best” healer. I prefer no class has a monopoly. I feel, a Bard who chooses options to specialize in healing should be as good as a Cleric who chooses options to specialize in healing.

Its possible for a Cleric to choose both abilities that heal “inspirationally” (before bloodied) and abilities that heal “miraculously” (after bloodied). Resource management makes the game more interesting for a healer.

I am not saying clerics should have a monopoly on healing power but they should be great natural healers due to tradition. A heal focused cruise, bard, or warlord should be able to match or surpass a nonhealing focused cleric.

Instead the different healers should be different.

Vancian magic heals should always work. The drawback is that these heals must be prepared in advance.

Warlord healing can constantly keep the party at top shape and always at high morale. But morale can't heal wounds and "bloodied" and dying allies can't be heal by the warlord.

Spontaneous or spell point healers are efficient as they can heal whenever they need to and don't have to tie up resources to preparation. The flaw could be lower total resources or lower power.

Energy and Morale healers could be better for multiple and easier fights. Cosmic and Physical healers are good for emergencies and tough battles.

Mattachine

Adventurer
I love the explicit, clear return of hit points varied meaning.
Also, I like the idea that PCs are "special".

An optional rule would be little to no hit point increase with level. The d20 Call of Cthulhu game had that option--immediately switches a high-fantasy game to a very gritty one.

avin

First Post
As a guy who dislikes Healing Surges, as long it's tied to fluff (we are talking about recovering the scratches/fatigue/whatever) I'm fine with this concept.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Reading between the lines, I notice some things that might exist in the rules:

The spider's first attack deals 3 damage, and the fighter must make a Constitution saving throw against its poison.

- Is it possible that there's a hit threshold for some effects? From the way this and the second hit are worded it implies there might not always be a saving throw required. I could be very wrong of course!

At this point, there's a chance that the fighter will have a lasting scar, and he or she needs magic to get back into the fight in the short term.

- There may well be permanent injury associated with dropping to unconscious.
- It may not be possible to perform emergency First-Aid in combat (I hope not).

Me either but I would like to see the fine print and see how it operates in actual play before making any decisions.

The details will be everything. For me it is just more of the "D&D was broken so we have to fix it" mentality rather than "D&D was good, so lets see what it got right". HP were not perfect but they were a nice simple solution. Tis is just a level of complexity I dont want in D&D. And I never had an issue with magical healing being important if you wanted fast recovery. This feels very much like a luke warm healing surge mechanic to me.

Remove ads