L&L 5/21 - Hit Points, Our Old Friend

Blackwarder

Adventurer
The details will be everything. For me it is just more of the "D&D was broken so we have to fix it" mentality rather than "D&D was good, so lets see what it got right". HP were not perfect but they were a nice simple solution. Tis is just a level of complexity I dont want in D&D. And I never had an issue with magical healing being important if you wanted fast recovery. This feels very much like a luke warm healing surge mechanic to me.

But it's not healing surges because you don't use it in combat or as your sole healing mechanic.

Warder

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I would argue that if you do not like hitpoints, you should find a different game. They are part of d&d. I am pretty much cool with any method of recovery, as to me it just isn't the key part of the game.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Gold Roger

First Post
I really like the sound of this.

It doesn't sound complex at all to me and seems like a mechanic a DM could play around with for all kinds of fun little effects. HD are just significant/insignificant to have magic items that eat HD to activate, for example.

I'm very curious to see how it goes in the playtest.

Scribble

First Post
I am not saying it is mechanically identical to HS, but it looks like they are tweaking the concept and calling it hit dice

A lot of the complaints were from people who's imagination couldn't divorce HPs from physical wounds, so this seems to attempt to address it.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The details will be everything. For me it is just more of the "D&D was broken so we have to fix it" mentality rather than "D&D was good, so lets see what it got right". HP were not perfect but they were a nice simple solution. Tis is just a level of complexity I dont want in D&D. And I never had an issue with magical healing being important if you wanted fast recovery. This feels very much like a luke warm healing surge mechanic to me.

The issue was never a problem with magical healing (for most people). It was that D&D was based on multiple encounters and the only way to do that was forcing someone to play a healer class or handing potions out like candy as multiple encounters needed faster healing.

Sadras

Legend
This is my guess.
Rob the 5th level rogue is with his party and fight some goblins and is now at 12. He takes a short rest, spends 2 d6 HD, and heals 7 HP. After another fight, the party rests for the night. Rob rolls his final d6 HD, gains 2 HP to go up to 21, and regains 6 d6 HDs..

d8's for Rogues (they've been bumped up)

Remove ads