L2: The Dragon's Maw (Erekose13 judging)

Verbatim

Explorer
~A small silver medallion, a gift to Mr. Graner, which as I mentioned was stolen from him...It must have been quite the gift to pay such a hefty fee, but those with money will often pay what others dream about.~

As Valen casually took the coin purse from Kermis, Merlis hoped they would not count the money in front of Mr. Dez, but once more it seemed that the large folk knew little of polite business practices.

~A gnome would never count the money in front of another, I should leave my share there, but I will need oilskins for the trip if we are to travel the seas. I will wait until we leave though to take it...~

As the young man asked about the need for climbing, Merlis hoped climbing was simply walking to the cave and the brigand was polite enough to have a pulley in place to access his stolen wares.

~We will soon see I suppose...~

corcio

First Post
Trusting to Valans obvious knowledge of these situations kermis allows valan to do as he does with the coins. seeing as how he himself never had much use for counting money, except by sizing up similar stacks, kermis felt relieved that valan had equally distributed the gold in equal piles. one stack for each person there. To the barbarian this marked everyone in the group as equals. in his tribe the chiefs and other leaders would get bigger stacks of the spoils after skirmishes with rival tribes. this was a way for him to establish a social standing.

Smiling and nodding at Valan for his obvious wisdom, kermis takes his share of the gold. he also makes a mental note to later ask valan who they were just ordered to attack for the lawyer. kermis was made very familiar to mercenary work in his travels. and feels quite confident in his ability to deal with this sort of work. however he was never really good at remembering the long fine details.

LiquidBlue

First Post
Public Service Announcement

I will be unavailable until Saturday, Nov. 25. I am sorry that I cannot post a story progressing post right now. If you desire, you may assume that Mr. Dez gives you an opportunity to conduct a private conversation.

Swamptreader

First Post
Aazwen Shadewood - L1 Perfectly Normal Ranger

At the bait held out by Dez, Aazwen begins to salivate. Not enough to drool, but he's ready to eat plenty of stale bread without complaining. Not that he ever complains about eating stale anything, but the principle is the point here.

He makes to reach for the dangling bag, then has it usurped by Valan. This causes Aazwen to pull his hand back and rub the side of his head in an effort not to look like he'd just been beaten to the punch.

"Ahh...shinies. I like shinies." Aazwen takes one very long step, quite nearly a full split as if one foot were nailed to the floor. He strains but manages to just reach one of the piles. He now has his own personal stack of shinies which he proceeds to check, one at a time, with the roundly accepted tooth-test.

Once complete, the elf drops each coin, singly, into one of his belt pouches, cocking an ear each time to hear the clink.

With one eye narrowed, he says in a salty voice, "Arrrr...them's good shinies, eh? Arrrr."

Verbatim

Explorer
Merlis Appleton, Gnome Abjr1

As Mr. Dez leaves the room the allow them a few moments to discuss things amongst themselves, Merlis finally walks foward and takes his stack of coins from the table. As he turned back around, the gnome's eyes widened as he saw the elf biting each coin to test the texture of the gold.

~An elf who acts with dwarven distrust, a man who bellows as a strutting bull all the time and one who seems to have a smile sewn to his features. Thank the gods that at least my fellow magus keeps his dignity.~

Approaching the elvish enchanter, Merlis waited until the elf glanced down at him before speaking.

"I noticed you allowed the others to speak for you as well, but wonder what your thoughts are on all of this. Also as we are fellow craftsmen of the weave, perhaps between now and our arrival we could discuss how our spells could compliment the other's."

LogicsFate

First Post
Swamptreader said:
"Arrrr...them's good shinies, eh? Arrrr."

Don't lose it on me now, you we're doing so well.

So you two keep up on your climbing skills? Valan asks Kermis and the elf offhandly. While keeping an eye on Thronon.

corcio

First Post
Watching the two magic users converse with each other in long confusing sentences Kermis just begins to ignore them since they arent doing anything interesting as far as he can tell. however as he notices the elf begin to chew the coins he picks one of his own coins up and pops it into his mouth much like a child would a delicious piece of candy. and begins to chew it briskly. furrowing his is brow at the peculiar taste, he spits it back out into his hand and wonders why the elf is so strange.

upon hearing valan speak however he brightens up and nods enthusiastically. "KERMIS GOOD AT CLIMBING. KERMIS CLIMB BIG ROCKS ....AND TREES...AND.." trailing off wondering what else hes climbed. but nodding that there isnt anything else he hasnt climbed says again "KERMIS CLIMB GOOD."
then flexes his muscles for effect. wondering if anyone wants to take note of his obvious good physique

ooc- kermis is obviously a front line fighter. he has experience with battle but has low intelligence so he wont be making incredible tactical plans. the other perks about is character will be made clear in the future.

Last edited:

Swamptreader

First Post
Aazwen, as well as his gecko, which might be going unnoticed in this particular room's light, look at Robert Dez as he asks a rather pointed question.

"Climbing? Why would I want to do that? Isn't that for apes and monkeys? I mean, really. That's a trick question, innit?" If not for the fact that the elf was being observed, one could possibly imagine the voice was that of Robert Dez himself.

*blink* Aazwen's visage suddenly goes wide-eyed. "Ohhhh...cliiimmmbbiiinngg, yes, yes. Of course, I can climb like someone that climbs frequently. Certainly. I also have rope, somewhere."

He strains to look at his own back, where, presumably, he has a pack located. Like a puppy chasing its own tail, he spins around clockwise twice, then turns to the other side, spinning counterclockwise twice more. He regards Robert Dez again and laughs a short, one-puff sort of lame laugh. "I had some. Honestly," he promises as his eyes get a bit misty and his face contorts like that of a five-year old child caught stealing the cookies. Again.

Everyone that happened to be watching his whirling-dervish dance noticed the coil of rope attached to a loop on his backpack as it swung outward with the centrifugal force.

With an out-jutted lower lip and brow furrowed in embarrassment he attempts coyness. "Honestly. I. I have a grrr...appling hook, too." From somewhere, probably best not determined, a grappling hook drops to the floor behind the elf, bouncing at an odd angle once, and hitting him in the heel.

Free of head movement, he casts his glance to various locations about the room, away from the gaze of his expected employer.

Fortunately, just then an opportunity at distraction arrives like divine intervention as Kermis struts his physique. Aazwen takes the opportunity to divert attention from his obvious lack of climbing skills, towards something else. But first, he recovers his grappling hook and manages to stuff it back into the proper pocket of his backpack with unexpected ease.

He steps toward Kermis, facing him at a distance of about two feet and says in his best barbarian-gruff voice, "YOU ARE BIG MAN, YES! KERMIS STRONG LIKE FIVE HORSES!" Then Aazwen does his own version of a posing wrestler by flexing his arms in perfect unison with Kermis' display, complete with the expected facial expression.

It doesn't enter into the elf's mind what the barbarian might make of the fact that the far smaller elf's biceps are, relatively speaking, bigger.

OOC[sblock]Sadly, I have the second best Climb skill out of this group. :)[/sblock]

OOC[sblock]Sorry, corcio. It had to come up sometime. Pardon my metagaming character sheet sneak-peeking. :)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads