• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

L4W Discussion Thread III

renau1g

First Post
In the end, it looks pretty neat, but it's going to create some nasty MAD for a lot of (what I think are) the more interesting combinations.

Thanks for the info. I guess this is my biggest beef with 4e. Unless you have at least a 16, more likely 18-20 in your main stat, your character isn't going to hit enough to be effective. It really hurts the playability of non-optimized race/class combos. I mean dwarf rogues are one of my favourite combos, but now they are much less effective than many other races. Anyways I'm way off topic. I like 4e, just not that part of it (oh yeah and XXX expertise, should be retconned in, just like dragonborn & tieflings ;))

Atanatotatos

First Post
Uhmmm... well it's not always true, and less and less true, too. For example, weapon/implement expertise help "unoptimized" race/class combinations.
There are also classes that can go a long way without a very high score in their primary. Like, warlords can rely on their party members' better basic attack with commander's strike. Tiefling get flaming weapons, melee rogues are fine with a 16 most of the time thanks to piercing strike. Also a cleric greatly reduces the need for a high stats thanks to the at-will biffs to attack rolls. Also you'll value anhancement bonus on weapons and implements more than powers.
There are plenty of ways to rais your chance to hit with a 16, and teamwork is the best way.

Dawn Raven

First Post
With some people using MapTools to run their PbP games, I wonder at the possibility of any L4W MapTool-Live games..? I'd certainly be interested in playing one.

covaithe

Explorer
I've wondered about that, but... One of the things I liked best about LEW when I joined it was that I could go back and read the complete adventuring histories of all these characters and follow their careers from level 1. I'd love for people to be able to do the same for L4W someday, and so I'm reluctant to create a situation where there are official happenings in L4W that we can't keep the history of here in the forums.

Besides, I'm not nearly as good a DM or player in realtime when I don't have time to look things up or go through several drafts of a post. ;)

renau1g

First Post
I think it would unbalance the world too much as well. 1 live 4 hr session would equate to at least a few months of posts, if not more. Therefore you'd have the PC's from the live game advancing much faster than others. I prefer a more level playing field (it lets you game with others as well) as I wouldn't want some to perceive it as an unfair advantage.

Myrridin

First Post
I've been looking around, and wondered if the PHB2 was approved yet? I'd love to make a Deva Invoker to try and get in one of the games. :)

Remove ads