L4W Discussion Thread IV

elecgraystone

First Post
What elecgraystone seems to be saying, at least in my view, is that his situation is somewhat different; because of the "amnesia" background, he is not really changing his background story but merely adding to it. Adding to the confusion: when he adds to his background story, he plans to also change his mechanical background benefit, likely based on the story that gets added.
Yep.

The question elecgraystone is asking is more along the lines of whether or not it is ok to add to his background due to the amnesia exception.
Yep, although I was also asking a bigger question when I did. L4W only acknowledges regions in it's rules, so it needed to be asked if we are treating the official backgrounds the same them. If so then the retraining option is available. Since you can pick as many background elements as you want [PHB2 pg#178], this is important since you could have dozens of benefits to pick from that you could swap out at level up without the need for the justification of a new background.

renau1g said:
Requoted and bolded and made larger just so it's not missed. It seemed like you were looking for a freebie with just changing the background because you weren't digging it.
LOL and to requote myself, here is what I first asked. Note underlined.

elecgraystone said:
I have a question. I'm thinking ahead to when Ts'iri gets to 6th level and I'm wondering if it's ok to swap out backgrounds when I level up? EA Region just isn't doing it for me and dozens of other backgrounds fit her just fine.

renau1g

First Post
My bad elec, I mis-interpreted it I guess. I still interpret it as asking can I just do it, rather than re-training under the re-training rules. You've clarified that though.

elecgraystone

First Post
That's cool renau1g. I figured one of us was reading the others comments differently than they where meant. My intent was to ask if I could change my background benefit at level up and why I wanted to. I wasn't sure at the time that it'd fall under the retraining rules so I didn't mention it dirrectly.

As a side note, it might not be a bad idea to update the region section to backgrounds and regions in character creation.

ryryguy

First Post
I think that "by the book", level-up retraining of backgrounds is not allowed. Not that I think it's a bad idea at all, but it is technically a house rule.

CaBaNa

First Post
it is a house rule, made shortly after phb2 came out.

Speaking of rules, retirement, how much wealth would a level 2 character start with if they were born from a level 2 retire?

Walking Dad

First Post
Question: Currently, the dragon article containing the new minotaur rules is not allowed, because there are some minotaurs played who were build by the old rules. What will happen one month after the PH3?

Disregarding it for (currently):

Brudd Brassback (Halford) - Minotaur Cleric 1
Kilbeth Serral (LightRailCoyote) - Minotaur Ranger 1
Skorgax Bloodscale (Bjornalf) - Minotaur Fighter 1
Vaunea (mohalloran) - Minotaur Fighter 2

??

There are only four, only one more than level 1.
I also don't know if they are currently active played.

Would be a solution to allow a minotaur sub-race (longarms), with the old MM rules, but only for already existing characters?

I would be really interested in playing a Minotaur, but I would like more the feat support, than some bigger weapon (that becomes strange in regard of the brutal keyword).

Remove ads