• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Language in Story Hours?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
A more lively discussion than I'd anticipated!

I guess "Naughty Language" always brings out the lit'ry types....

Well, I think I've found a substitute that will do. Hopefully the post will go up today and we'll see if legions of appalled ENWorld members come reeling out of the Story Hour forums, shocked and offended at what they've just witnessed.

I can only hope. :D

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Okay, well, the post is now up with the "substitute" language. Actually, I think I like it better like this. It's more comical, which is a good contrast to the moment itself.

So thanks for the input, everyone!

barsoomcore said:
Okay, well, the post is now up with the "substitute" language. Actually, I think I like it better like this. It's more comical, which is a good contrast to the moment itself.

So thanks for the input, everyone!
Of course! A little alliteration makes everything funnier. ;)

EDIT: Although looks like you'd have to change the order of your two adjectives to get alliteration. My mistake!

Last edited:

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Joshua Dyal said:
You'd have to change the order of your two adjectives to get alliteration.
Yeah, but then it sounds a little too much like Robin confronting Pamela Lee Anderson.

"Holy Big Boobies, Batman!"

Not at ALL the effect I was going for. :D

Every story hour could use a little more Robin confronting Pamela Lee. In fact, I'm off to make a note of that right now for my own story hour...

Gez

First Post
Cyberzombie said:
Actually, that would be breaking one of the cardinal rules of language here: no cutesy workarounds.

¡ Damn, 'cause there's a character that correspond to the upside-down bang that the Spanish use, and it looks just like a i !

Actually, this is something I've had as a little pet peeve for a while. I know this site is intended to be polite and decent, but if we're able to discuss mutilating bodies for the creation of undead from the BoVD, or talk about how unrealistic the orgasm rules are in the BoEF, why is it offensive when I say:

"Did you hear that?" Said the private dick, cocking his head to the side.

?

Would it be possible, somehow, to implement an option that would remove the profanity filter, if the person reading the thread wanted to? For instance, I'm not at all offended by 'naughty words'; my ex-girlfriend regularly calls me things that are quite allowable by the filter, but which would be far more offensive. If a storyhour writer had a vulgar character, and he put a notice in the title of his thread like "(adult language)," I would like to be able to read it as the writer intended. For me, I'd have the "allow profanity" option enabled, and I'd be able to see the cussing. For Grandma Noah, however, she'd just see smileys.

Even if the coding to make such a thing work isn't feasible (and I'd imagine it isn't), could there at least be an option for a poster to disable the profanity filter, with the stipulation that you'd have to include a notice in the title of your thread, or else you'd be punished?

In fact, you wouldn't even have to change the board's filter. There are several ways to work around the filter, but most people don't because we're not supposed to. I'm just asking for a bit of leniency, for the sake of us who watch R-rated movies, and who'd like to be able to write about ornithologists.

If nothing else, though, I'm now gonna go read the storyhour to see what Barsoomcore has to say about :):):):).

Last edited:

Hmm. Apparently it's not offensive for me to say that quoted phrase. I could've sworn, though, that I tried to post once and got ':):):):)' filtered out. Oh well. My request still stands, humbly.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads