• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Language in Story Hours?

MerakSpielman

First Post
the problem is that you can't just remove the profanity filter for some people - the text you posted has literally been changed. Were you to go to edit it, YOU wouldn't even be able to see what you originally typed. Just a bunck of colons and close parantheses.

I understand that. Which is why I suggest there be an option, perhaps even something requiring moderator approval or a community supporter status, to turn off the filter as you place your post. Doing so would make the whole thread 'restricted,' so that when you click on a link, you get to a page that asks you to verify that you're alright with reading profanity.

Gez

First Post
I'd like a way to disable the filter, too.

For example, I play in a PbP in French on these forums. It's DMed by Guillaume, if you want to find it. The story is the "Shackled City" thingy from Dungeon Magazine. As you may know (if you don't, that won't spoil anything), there's a problem with children kidnapped from an orphanage.

So, of course, with children, people will speak about "little ones". Which is said petits in French. Without it being a naughty word.

I had the same problem, but in English, on the Wizards board. It was impossibe to ****yze monster strategies with a ****atrice. Since then, the filter has been fine-tuned, and you can talk about analysis and cockatrixes, but that was just an example of problems with profanity filters.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
You ask a simple question, and look at the discussion that flowers...

The filter here caught me by surprise when I tried to describe people and things from the nation of Kish on Barsoom. The standard adjectival form of "Kish" adds "ite" to the end of the name, but that produces a naughty word surrounded by "Ki" and "e" so I ended up with a little girl vampire who was described as "Ki:):):):)e". :D

So in my Story Hour the adjectival form for "Kish" is now "Kishak". Which is a perfectly cool word. But it was kind of a surprise.

Anyway, I'd welcome any feedback on the naughty bit in Stewardesses. Did it work? Would the initially-desired term have been better?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I haven't checked Stewardesses yet. In the mean time, though, if you make a list of words like Kishi*e and peti*s we should be able to exclude those from the filter.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Oh, thanks, but 30-some-odd posts later I'm used to "Kishak". No problem. It was just funny at the time -- took me a while to figure out what the heck was happening. :D

Thanks, though. Service with a, uh, smile. That's what keeps me coming back here....

Well, that, and the hope that I'll be able to Hong-beat properly someday. If you know what I mean. And I think you do.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads