• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Languages for Celestial Animals?

Ninja-to

First Post
IcyCool said:
You know, there's bound to be more Petitioners on any of the outer planes than anything else. They speak common. Chances are pretty high that the celestial dog you just summoned has had far more contact with a Petitioner farmer than with an Angel or an Archon.

Actually I don't agree, especially in the case of Demons and Devils. The Abyss is supposed to have 'infinite' layers, with an infinite number of denizens on each. There are too many 'infinite' numbers of outsiders, whereas Petitioners are not actually natives of the Outer Planes I believe. Not sure about that last point, but even if they're native, I'm positive *at least* the demons of the Abyss outnumber them by far.

Anyway, even if a Petitioner outnumbers celestial creatures, I don't think they'd necessarily have a lot of contact with each other. Petitioners are mostly found in the Outlands if I remember correctly (Planescape... been a few years). Celestial creatures are more likely to be found deeper on their home planes like the 7 heavens or Celestia or wherever.

Ok it just seems to make much more sense to me to have a player who wants to give highly specific instructions to a creature it summons to make use of devoting one of his languages to speaking the language of the creature's home plane. Let's put it another, very mechanical way: how does a player benefit from taking 'celestial' as a bonus language at first level? You can't take bonus languages later on, and seeing as how you're *far* more likely to have opportunities to speak, say, Orcish rather than Celestial (given the current rules, because only *very* high level creatures can speak it) then what's the real benefit? Ok it adds 'flavour' to your character. If you're really lucky, you might see some inscription written somewhere that gives you a clue about something blah blah. To me, that's not enough. And it doesn't 'feel' right.

My house rule is, if you summon, as you do, the creature will attack and defend you as normal, but you're not required to give it any sort of instructions to do so. This is automatic. If you want your summoned creature to do something very specific (when I cast my Bless spell, open the door), you have to be able to speak it's native language, and the native language for outsiders is the language dominant on their home plane, which is Celestial for good etc.

Love it, hate it, to me it adds proper flavour and rewards players for taking Outsider languages. It takes a little away from the spell in that not everyone can speak Common to every single creature listed, but this just means they can't give highly specific instructions to the creatures. The creature will still fight for and defend the caster to the best of its ability, regardless of whether or not the caster speaks its language.

glass

(he, him)
Ninja-to said:
I think so too. I don't understand how a Celestial animal knows common when no intelligent creatures on that plane would ever speak it. They'd choose to speak Celestial first over Common, even if they can speak Common.
That is a very good question. That's why IMC celestial creatures speak celestial and fiendish creatures speak daemonic (I removed the demon/devil divide too). Doesn't alter the fact that it is a house rule though.

glass.

glass

(he, him)
werk said:
Celestial Magical Beasties are not outsiders. My primary argument for this is in the description of outsider type.
I don't think any such arguments are required. The celestial template (as quoted above) specifically says they are magical beasts.

glass.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
My world has multiple commons - at least 1 language for each contininet. While the RAW says they speak common, the added complexity of which common they speak, makes celestial the obvious choice.

Example Green island common is spoken on the primary campaign area, which is an sub tropical archipeligo. Why would a summoned celestial polar bear speak green island common?
assuming the summoner thought of summoning a polar bear - a concept I struggle with, but that is another topic.

IcyCool

First Post
Ninja-to said:
Anyway, even if a Petitioner outnumbers celestial creatures, I don't think they'd necessarily have a lot of contact with each other. Petitioners are mostly found in the Outlands if I remember correctly (Planescape... been a few years). Celestial creatures are more likely to be found deeper on their home planes like the 7 heavens or Celestia or wherever.

You remember incorrectly. A petitioner "lives" on the plane that matches its alignment, and if it has a deity, on the plane where its deity resides.

Ninja-to said:
Ok it just seems to make much more sense to me to have a player who wants to give highly specific instructions to a creature it summons to make use of devoting one of his languages to speaking the language of the creature's home plane.

If you are the GM, you are free to rule as you see fit.

Good luck and happy gaming!

glass

(he, him)
Evilhalfling said:
My world has multiple commons - at least 1 language for each contininet. While the RAW says they speak common, the added complexity of which common they speak, makes celestial the obvious choice.
And IMC there is no Common at all, which pretty much amounts to the same thing.

I hate the way everybody's speaking Common in the default game renders all the other language rules a waste of paper.

glass.

Remove ads