• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Languages for monsters

martynq

Explorer
Under v3.5, are there rules for how many languages a monster speaks?

They obey the same rules as PCs for skills and feats, but looking at the languages for monsters in the various Monster Manuals suggests that there is no consistent rule. Am I missing anything?

delericho

Legend
Strictly speaking, they speak the languages listed in the write-up, and individuals may speak one additional language per two points of Int above 10 (that is, one extra at 12, two at 14, etc...)

In practice, you should just let your monsters speak whatever languages you need them to speak for the purposes of your game. And, unless you have a really good reason to do otherwise, I'd recommend just letting everyone speak Common. It's just easier that way.

martynq

Explorer
Sorry - I don't think I was clear in my original question. I meant is there any logic to how many languages are listed in the Monster Manual entry?

the Jester

Legend
Sorry - I don't think I was clear in my original question. I meant is there any logic to how many languages are listed in the Monster Manual entry?

As an inveterate 3e monster designer who always tried to stick to the rules, I never found any logic to the languages creatures had, other than the basic rule that anything with an Int 3 or higher speaks or understands at least one language.

Remove ads