• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Large Creatures and AoO

Herobizkit

Adventurer
If an Ogre (size Large) with a reach of 10' attacks an opponent with an unarmed attack, does that opponent get an AoO on the Ogre if the opponent does NOT have a reach weapon?

It seems like the answer is 'no', but I thought I'd check with the Collective. :)

Starglim

Explorer
FAQ says no. The rules say
SRD Combat I said:
An enemy that takes certain actions while in a threatened square provokes an attack of opportunity from you.

The ogre makes an unarmed attack (an action that draws attacks of opportunity) and its action requires it to place part of its body in your square (a square that you threaten). Thus it provokes an attack of opportunity as I see it.

frankthedm

First Post
Herobizkit said:
If an Ogre (size Large) with a reach of 10' attacks an opponent with an unarmed attack, does that opponent get an AoO on the Ogre if the opponent does NOT have a reach weapon?

It seems like the answer is 'no', but I thought I'd check with the Collective. :)
Nope. It is an easy way to get around AoOs too.

I personaly still grant the AoO in such situations, with the victim getting the attack as the limb comes in. Now, nothing extra fancy happens, the damage just lowers the attacker's normal HP total as normal. I do a similar thing when attackers without the appropriate feats try the "fancy AoO drawing stuff" with a reach weapon, treating the AoO as a "no AoO" sunder since the weilder has placed the weapon in harm way. :]

Herobizkit

Adventurer
LOL That's awesome. :)

The reason I asked is because I am making an Ogre Tough/Dreadnought for a one-shot d20 Future adventure, and I needed to know if I had to take Combat Martial Arts to remove the AoO penalty for fighting unarmed. With my foolish Strength bonus (30 total -- 18 Stat + 10 Race + 2 bonus points for 8th level), I'll cream every monster near me. Damn, I may have to take Great Cleave...

The rules continue to say you must threaten the opponent in order to take advantage of any AoO they may provoke...which is why the FAQ says no.

If you HR as Frank the DM, I would suggest increasing the Ogre's AC based on the size modifier of the limb, granting it a +2.
I would also suggest not removing the AoO from any sunder attempt against a reach weapon..IMHO that is too much of a nerf of the Reach advantage. I know my players would be p*ssed off if I kept sundering thier mancatchers :heh:

Remove ads