D&D 5E Larian confirms they want to work on BG3 DLCs!!!

BG3 scored high early on very few reviews. Scores always come down in that situation.
That's literally and provably not true in this case. Maybe don't rely on generalizations? They you lead you into error.

If we subtract the single Eurogamer review, BG3 would still be at 97%, just like it was at the start. It is not because "scores always come down". That is provably false. It's because of one specific review which is being treated as wildly lower than the other ones.

Anybody else finding that there is a glut of magic items. Like hundreds. Too many.
It's a long standing tradition in D&D games, so I'm not surprised at all. In fact, I think the sheer variety of neat and potent items not only adds a lot of enjoyment for me, but "effectively" makes the level cap a fair bit higher than 12 in most ways except class features.

Stalker0

Legend
The news of DLC is the least shocking news I've heard all year. Seeing as how popular the game is, DLC is inevitable. Rightfully so. For the past decade or so, I only play an hour or two of video games a week. This game? Makes me want to play like I did when I was younger, in 4-8 hour sessions a day lol. Too bad I can't. Family and all that... :p
My thoughts exactly. To me only the reverse (that they aren’t doing DLC) would be news

My thoughts exactly. To me only the reverse (that they aren’t doing DLC) would be news
They initially basically said that, which is why this is news.

Swen specifically downplayed any idea that they might do DLC or a sequel and when talking to journalists at the final Panel From Hell and initially just after release. He went on to suggest that:

A) Larian probably wouldn't work on an AAA game this large again any time soon, maybe ever (this is similar to how Bioware acted after completing the ME series "Whoa that was hard, let's not do that again!").

B) Larian would probably instead work on a number of smaller, more contained games, which, from the way he said it, made it sound more likely they intended to go back to not-really-AAA or even definitely-AA games.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I'd like them to fix/restore content in Act 3 which currently leads to bugs in some cases and flat quest endings in others. I assume this will be a definitive edition/patching thing rather than paid DLC.

I'm not sure whether or not I really need a DLC that takes this campaign to level 14 or whatever. I would prefer new D&D adventures using this engine and these writers, but not attached to the Baldur's Gate saga.

If they do extend this story with a DLC I assume it will involve extraplanar stuff - going to Avernus seems the most likely option. But much like tabletop 5E, the sweet spot is Tier 2, not Tier 3.

I love the game, but bumping into Tier 3 threats in the basement and attic of every corner house in the lower city feels strange.

Zardnaar

Legend
That's literally and provably not true in this case. Maybe don't rely on generalizations? They you lead you into error.

If we subtract the single Eurogamer review, BG3 would still be at 97%, just like it was at the start. It is not because "scores always come down". That is provably false. It's because of one specific review which is being treated as wildly lower than the other ones.

Still kind of proves the point though. One review can drag down the lot. How many reviews are we talking about here?

Scribe

Legend
Still kind of proves the point though. One review can drag down the lot. How many reviews are we talking about here?

68 'critic' reviews, whatever that means.

I hope they could add extra voices in the game. The ones they have are fairly similar to each other. We need a gruff one, maybe a Scottish one, and maybe a nasal/squeaky one for various types of characters. Also, some more faces, hair, and facial hair styles would be good, too. These should be able to be added fairly easily.

It would be tougher to add races and new content. I'm sure tabaxi would be a hit if they did add them, and they already have the models for kobolds, goblins, and hobgoblins among others, but it would be a matter of integrating reactions, dialogue choices and the like. It would also be nice to add 2 - 4 levels of content - they could go to the Hells or the Astral as high-level follow-ups (plus add the cut Upper City stuff). It seems almost a mantra that "characters are getting too powerful at those levels," but BG2 (and other games) handled those levels just fine.

I hope they could add extra voices in the game. The ones they have are fairly similar to each other. We need a gruff one, maybe a Scottish one, and maybe a nasal/squeaky one for various types of characters. Also, some more faces, hair, and facial hair styles would be good, too. These should be able to be added fairly easily.

It would be tougher to add races and new content. I'm sure tabaxi would be a hit if they did add them, and they already have the models for kobolds, goblins, and hobgoblins among others, but it would be a matter of integrating reactions, dialogue choices and the like. It would also be nice to add 2 - 4 levels of content - they could go to the Hells or the Astral as high-level follow-ups (plus add the cut Upper City stuff). It seems almost a mantra that "characters are getting too powerful at those levels," but BG2 (and other games) handled those levels just fine.
I think the only chance of adding extra races will be if they do a serious follow-on DLC, because they'll want to get so many of the voice-actors back anyway that it might mean adding reaction dialogue for them would make sense. I still think the odds are kind of low, though.

As you say, adding Tav/Durge voices should be pretty trivial. It'd be really nice to have, too. Right now we have like, four very middle-class, very English voices for each gender. All of the female ones sound like people in their 30s-40s, specifically, and most of the male ones sound like 20s-30s. It's really quite a narrow range. Especially given Tav/Durge doesn't have that much to say - none of the voices have unique lines. I'd to to see similar ones to you - a gruff, maybe Cockney or Estuary one, a Scottish one (preferably an actual Scot not a bad impression and probably not a Glaswegian, god bless my relatives but...), a cut-glass fully-posh one (but well-spoken rather than the sort of mumbly-posh voice a lot of actual aristos - including royalty - and people called "Biffy" and the like speak with), maybe a nice smooth Welsh one to go with our dear Halsin and so on. Just more distinctive voices, not like "middle-class Received Pronunciation 30-something crew".

Faces/hair/beards I'd love to see more of too. Please some cooler beards - like give me Hawke's beard for god's sake - I can make a very good Varric already, but a Hawke? Neither wide-enough male faces nor sharp enough beards are available. Obviously we need in-game appearance customization too, but I would bet money that'll be here within six months at the latest.

Re: the Hells not-in-game content "spoiler": There's an entire partially-finished Avernus section, replete with the NPCs, monster, dialogue for the companions, and so on, in the code. So it would certainly make sense to build that out.

I think the only chance of adding extra races will be if they do a serious follow-on DLC, because they'll want to get so many of the voice-actors back anyway that it might mean adding reaction dialogue for them would make sense. I still think the odds are kind of low, though.

As you say, adding Tav/Durge voices should be pretty trivial. It'd be really nice to have, too. Right now we have like, four very middle-class, very English voices for each gender. All of the female ones sound like people in their 30s-40s, specifically, and most of the male ones sound like 20s-30s. It's really quite a narrow range. Especially given Tav/Durge doesn't have that much to say - none of the voices have unique lines. I'd to to see similar ones to you - a gruff, maybe Cockney or Estuary one, a Scottish one (preferably an actual Scot not a bad impression and probably not a Glaswegian, god bless my relatives but...), a cut-glass fully-posh one (but well-spoken rather than the sort of mumbly-posh voice a lot of actual aristos - including royalty - and people called "Biffy" and the like speak with), maybe a nice smooth Welsh one to go with our dear Halsin and so on. Just more distinctive voices, not like "middle-class Received Pronunciation 30-something crew".

Faces/hair/beards I'd love to see more of too. Please some cooler beards - like give me Hawke's beard for god's sake - I can make a very good Varric already, but a Hawke? Neither wide-enough male faces nor sharp enough beards are available. Obviously we need in-game appearance customization too, but I would bet money that'll be here within six months at the latest.

Re: the Hells not-in-game content "spoiler": There's an entire partially-finished Avernus section, replete with the NPCs, monster, dialogue for the companions, and so on, in the code. So it would certainly make sense to build that out.
When it comes to facial hair, I'd like to see some sideburns for my halfling rogue and a walrus-type mustache for my Gallic-inspired barbarian.

As for the voices, when they said we'd have more voices than EA, I assumed they would be distinctive. And, weirdly, it was just more of the same!

Last edited:

Remove ads