L'Aurel's Journal (A Kingdom of Ashes) -updated 3/23

Laurel

First Post
Chapter Seven: “”

Day Forty-Five –Hywrl just before midnight

Having talked to a servant who saw 'the old priest' go into Father Dorn's room some hours ago, I go there with mask in place and knock at the door. "Father Dorn, Joshua?"

The door opens a crack. A wrinkled, yet distinguished face shows itself in the shadow between the door and the wall. It is Preston. "Come in, L'Aurel...Dorn is sleeping, and Justice is off to bed, as well...I was just....reflecting. Nothing I can't do with company."

"Thank you," with Joshua’s back turned I slowly enter and remove the mask. In the soft light of the candle glowing, I go toward the bed and smile gently down at Father Dorn's snoring face. "I hope he can find true peace soon."

Joshua’s blue gaze looks at me strangely, “Peace? Dorn here has done little to earn that." As he continues his lips curve up in a smile and his voice tremors on a laugh, "Dorn has a warrior's spirit...it's why he has earned such a reward as this. Ah, to forget..."

Still standing beside the bed I smile back at Joshua, “He said you were something of a rogue. Have you… have you been able to talk to him at all?”

"He was sleeping when I got here, and I didn't want to wake him. I've...learned a lot, tonight. I thought I'd wait for him to wake, then speak to him. I was just sitting in the darkness, thinking."

Crouching down beside Father Dorn’s weathered face, I comfort my possible father about his friend, “He has been fading in and out, though as each day goes on he seems more…out. Justice has been practicing blades with him some days and that seems to revive him for a short while. Justice came to see me this afternoon. She told me of her fath… of Darkson” At this last I slowly turn to face him waiting to see his reaction.

His eyes narrow, almost in anger. "She told you, then?" His features soften, "I am sorry. He is her...he is who he is. It is her business who she tells, and none of mine." He looks at you again, this time with suspicion evident on his wrinkled face. "What else did she tell you?"

What else!? With him sitting at the other end of the bed, I lift my green gaze to meet his blue, “Yes, she told me. It’s not an easy thing to hear or deal with alone. I have given her my word that no others shall know until she is ready, that will have to appease you as well. She has been debating her actions and deeds for almost her entire life, but something you told her earlier has given her purpose again, for that I thank you. Weather you want it or not.”

His white brow creases in confusion, as he slumps a little, "I...I am sorry. I have lived with so many secrets for so long...it's hard for me to let go of even a few." Lowering himself to a chair beside Dorn's bed, he grimaces. All his years seem to be rushing at him in these past few moments. One gnarled and scared hand motions toward another chair in room. The only other chair that sits near Dorn’s bed. "Please, L'Aurel...sit. I overreacted. An old man like me needs company, or the shadows grow fearful, indeed. Justice's father is her burden...but her mothers' absence belongs to the both of us. I am sure you have had far better experiences with family than either of the two of us...?"

A laugh bubbles out at his questioning tone, I slowly sink into the chair hoping the fragile wood will not break with my weight. “My family… considering I went from thinking the last of them happily with the light, to one consorting with the enemy, one a dear friend, one who died in my arms just weeks ago, one lost somewhere, and one who does not even know me. Yes, I would say my experiences are great when it comes to family.” Realizing this may not be the best tactic, I sober quickly “Sorry, it seems I am not as adept as others at dealing with secrets. I grew up with my father, pretty much alone. We had a simple life with a little cottage. He taught me to fight, to care for the woods around me, and to survive. When he died I didn’t know what I would do. He had told me so little of my life, so little of my heritage. All I had starting away from Greenwood was this” I take the pendant from around my neck and placing it between us.

His eyes widen as I said Greenwood, and almost forcing himself his eyes drop to the pendant, "One of the Woodshadow's, then." His eyes slowly raise to meet mine, questions filling them, "I admit, I thought that they had simply made up a story to back up your claiming this area...but if you have that, you must really be who you say you are. All the better, then."

Leaning back almost smugly, he smiles a little, "Link was your father, then?"

Seeing his smile, I drop my gaze to the pendant and hear Justice’s warning. “No my great-great-great-.. I am not really sure how many greats, aunt is his only daughter. My aunt is the one who is now with the enemy. It was her arrows that killed Link. He is the family member that died in my arms.” I slowly move my fingers over the surface of the gray claw and black leaf. Finally looking up at Joshua’s silent face, “The man who raised me was Michael, and until recently I had no idea of my mothers name or heritage.”

"But that would mean that it was your mother, not your father that was elven..." Blinking, he presses on, "What was your mother's name?"

Almost in a whisper I softly tell him, “My mothers name is Andara, Andara that was on the Isle of Morning with you both, Andara that went home to Michael and had me 30 years ago.”

His hands fly up, covering his mouth. "Then you...you are...you are the child? I...I'm not sure what to say..." he says, stuttering in shock, and confusion.

From behind us, a voice speaks...a voice I have come to know well. "For God's sake, Preston...tell her what you know.” Our heads flash to Father Dorn’s still prone back, “Preston drew the short straw, and he and Andara did their part to make sure that the lines of old would not be lost forever." With that, Dorn turns, propping himself up on one elbow, a crooked smile crossing his face, "Anyway, it's good to see you, brother. Took you long enough to get here. I've been expecting you."

I feel a spurt of happiness to see the ever rarer clarity in his eyes, “Well, they succeeded, and I am glad to know for sure now. Eventually, I would love to know if there is more to ‘necessity’ of the line then a hero’s blood and a vague prophesy.” Turning back to Joshua I know my voice will quiver, “I know it is not a highlight of your life, but the truth will come out eventually. There can be no stopping that now. Just as Justice did, my companions will see the links and connections. I do not see any need to tell anyone, since Justice knows, but would you let me tell my companions? Or is this a secret that must be continued?” Preston remains still looking from Dorn to me then back again.

I slowly rise taking a step toward Preston, but knowing I am speaking to Dorn, “I know you have not seen each other in a long time and have much to speak of… I would rather have company through this night for I know I will not sleep, but if you wish it I shall leave.”

Laughing, Dorn throws back the covers on the pallet he has been using. "Preston here did his part, L'Aurel, but he's not the only one that did a part."

Preston finally pushed into action stands stiffly eyes piercing his friend, "Dorn, what the Hell are you talking about? L'Aurel, for all it shames me, is my daughter. She at least deserves some recognition from her father. It hardly serves us to keep it secret, now!"

Dorn's face falls, shifting from mirth to almost deadly seriousness. Inclining his gray weathered head toward me, he continues, "I agree. The girl does deserve recognition from her father...but what you could give her wouldn't be that, at all. You see, Josh, she's not your daughter."

Smiling, the old warrior stands opening opens his arms to me, a fresh strength in his step, and a rare steadiness in his gaze. "L'Aurel, I am so sorry I couldn't tell you before," he says, tapping his head near his temple, "But there are locks, mostly self imposed, and more than a little deception in this old mind of mine..."

Red with rage, Preston almost shouting, says, "But I drew the short straw! We...you know what we did! I have not spoken to Andara for almost 30 years, because of it! You can't tell me that I am not the father, Dorn! She was pregnant!"

"Not every attempt...takes hold...Josh." Dorn shrugs, "We all did what we had to do. You and Andara...and I, as well. She never got a chance to tell you...and I was locked in, up here," he finishes, pointing to his head, once more. "L'Aurel...I am sorry. There is little I can do, now to replace Michael--more than anything in the world, Andara wanted you to be his daughter, and not any of ours. You were, and you are Michael's daughter in every way that matters. But, as the man said, you deserve recognition from your father...L'Aurel Woodshadow, I am pleased to meet you."

I can not help but mirror Preston’s look of shock still trying to work through the truth as it stands now. Dorn’s arms drop slowly as he moves to stand directly in front of me, "I cannot apologize enough, to both of you. With you here, brother, the last lock has been opened...L'Aurel may not be your daughter, but she is your niece...I am sorry you have lived with such shame for so long, but I now free you of it. The bun in the oven, such as it was, was mine. As I said, I could no more replace Michael than Preston, here, could replace Andara...but I would be as much of a father as you would have me be, L'Aurel."

My mind grasps a single fact from amidst this tale, “Your brothers? Not just brothers in arms, but.. brothers. I seem to be gaining all sorts of family correctly this time.”

Preston speaks. "Yes, we're brothers. Dorn, here, took after our father...he's the liar in the group. I stayed a little closer to the nobler parts of the family heritage. Another secret that, I suppose, has little worth, now."

Breathing deeply, I push on wanting to get answers now, “Well, luckily I seem to have taken after my mother on those accounts so far… Since I am learning the family tree anyways, is grandpa still alive or someone I should worry about?” Looking to Preston, “And if you mean anything other then the blood of the Apecto as the secret it may be good to come clean with that one too.”

“Other than Justice, we are the last of the line. And when the time is right, there will be no question whose blood runs through our veins." Preston’s words sound as the priests in services.

Nice and cryptic, they sure do like to hold their knowledge and secrets close, I begin to pace suddenly not able to stand still, “Was Andara exiled with you two, or did you meet on the way to.. at the Isle of Mourning?”

"We were exiled together. Seeking after knowledge that our elders sought to keep secret."

Waiting, but finally realizing nothing further is coming, I push, “Knowledge of the prophesies, the liege blades, Oberon’s bow, the knowledge of the blue mages, the knowledge of the past… what knowledge was so horrible that they exiled you for it? Or is this something you can not talk about either?”

Half smiling, half-grimacing, Preston says, "All of the above. The Church guards its secrets well...not only from those with noble intentions, but also from those who would wield those secrets for darker ends."

Knowing this is as far as I will get with this line of questions, I again ask Preston, “Do you wish to tell Justice of the family tree, or shall I?” Joshua Preston, my uncle now, has fallen to his chair again and taken to staring at the wall. Sadly I turn back to Father Dorn, my father, “Justice said the blade and bow were on the isle, where they left guarded there when you left?”

"They are guarded, and guarded well. Creatures that may once have been men patrol the vine-grown halls of ancient mausoleums, and dark things creep in the shadows of ancient tombs. We survived by our wits, and even then, only barely. We paid the price for our arrogance, each one of us...to set foot upon that island is to invite pain, at least...and maybe death." Dorn’s silver eyes move to Joshua, who still sits staring unbelieving, "Joshua is naive...he never thought to check to see if you were really his...but as I said, I would never wish to usurp the man who, for all intents and purposes, has been your father these long years. I offer myself as someone who will take whatever part of your life that you wish. It is the least I can do....daughter." These last he says questioning, but continues, "I can remember little of the recent past...is my grandniece here, as well...I remember someone who looked a lot like Katie...?"

I keep glancing worriedly at Joshua, but answer Dorn, “You mean Justice… yes she is here, you have actually been practicing swords with her. Since she met you in the temple of Oceanus, she has felt compelled to protect and… to protect you. Now we know why…If she can see that burden, at least, lifted from Joshua, it will be one less thing she carries.” Turning I look for a response, “Joshua, I know she is keeping to her room if you wish to find her now. I will see her in the morning to see how she is faring before the arrival of our guests.” Watching Joshua slowly get to his feet, and then leave. I turn to Dorn unsurely, “I don’t even know your full name?”

"Gaerron Dorn. Preston and I share a father...different mothers."

“Did the Blades of the Woodshadow see to you as well?”

Dorn smiles at some memory, “They did, although always in secret. Had I not met Link, I think I would have never known all that they had done...he had friends and followers, everywhere...watching, waiting, acting in the shadows. I have never met a being with less trust, and I have conversed with the lords of Hell..."

Smiling at my own memories, “That’s him, and I can not blame him. A friend who killed his wife, and his daughter who murdered him... wait.. when did you two meet? Did he know about me, about Andara?”

As Preston had before, Dorn now waves me to sit on the bed, "He's how Preston found out about our heritage...or rather his, since I have little of the power of our common forefather. He knew that the Apecto had a son...and was unable to tell the Lightbringer before he fell in battle to the Bluestar. He made sure that each successive generation knew of their heritage...in case we would be needed...we were but the latest. Had Preston not found Justice, I am sure he would have."

Placing my back against the wall, I watch Dorn sit next to me. I continue our discussion, “Weather he planned it or not he did find her, and part of his dying words was to make sure she knew her blood. Though, his daughter seemed surprise by me in the monastery. Only through the pendant did she believe I could be who she thought I was… Did you ever meet his daughter? Did she know of the connection?”

"He did not know...he never knew; only suspected that his second child survived. She suspected as well, but was no more certain than he. It was only after our exile that the three of us were sure, and by then, he had been driven deeper into hiding. We had no way to get a message to him...he knew of the Apecto's line, and the Apecto knew of his...but neither were fully aware of their own. The Lightbringer died before any knowledge could be shared.”

I had spoken truthfully about not wanting to be alone on this night, and to that end we stayed up long into the night. Finally I knew it was time to lave, as I still had to catch Justice before she left her room. With a “Good night, father” that felt right and a long hug I finally left his room.

Last edited:

Laurel

First Post
Chapter Eight: “New Flames”

Day Fourty-Six- Hywrl

We had pushed the people into plans yesterday, and Xath had spent the morning with Jaine ensuring she was ready. Justice and I joined them shortly after sunrise, composed and ready for the day. A few short hours later, Preston avoiding my eye told the others it was time.

With the sun at her back Jaine rode into the small city of New Oceanus and finally into the walls of Hywrl all in the midst of glory. It had not been to hard to set everything up, and most had agreed it would be a good way to raise moral and introduce our Queen.

Behind Jaines open carriage, Ohtar struts with pride knowing he is being ogled by new comers and praised by those who had seen him frequently over the past few weeks. I keep a firm hand on the reigns, just to make sure he didn’t get to cocky.

Archonus and Jaine’s cousin, Lt. Rhynn, walked beside Jaine as personal body guards. We had uniforms hastily made and even clothes for Jaine hastily adjusted from the trunks and coffers of Hywrl.

Riding in front of Jaine was Justice on Thane and at the head of the parade column was Farathier on Yoshi leading a group of his masked cavalry. Next came Arfin leading a small group of now Jaine’s elite infantry. While Kareth lead his group of monk warriors followed by more general infantry at the rear. Xath had placed some of her trained performers in between the sections to dance and excite the crowd. I smile and give a slight wave when I spot Michael amongst the troops. Looking around I realized how much the small city had actually grown. Even with all those involved in the parade through the city, people still lined the streets. They cheered, waved flags and streamers, while petals fell from above. The red and orange petals was a small magic trick the regent and I had been working on.

The parade headed in a straight line down the main dirt avenue to the step’s of Hywrl’s ancient palace. As we entered, the rowdiness quickly died to a throb of anticipation. Most of the outer walls were crowded with people who pushed for position to be inside. The guards continued forward to form ranks on both sides of the aisle while Jaine, Justice, Xath, and I turned into a small room. The rest of the circle had another room on the other side where Father Dorn waited.

Finally adjusted, cleaned, and ready we meet again at the now cleared front entry way. Looking into the room, I see Joshua on queue comes from the side to stand on the third lowest step of the raised dais. Across the dais from him stands the new banner of the Woodshadow I had commissioned, and on the top step the Phoenix banner we had commissioned. The Duke and Jaine both said this was needed with all the pomp and ceremony, so later no one could question our actions.

I try hard not to shift in the stiffly formal dress, but again Jaine said it was necessary. Justice and Xath looked comfortable in their skirts of fluff. So trying to pretend I was not stifling, I look over at Jaine. Her expression is serene and she seems at ease in the ornate dress to set her apart from even us and the small halo of gold and silver that rests atop her head. With the barest of movements, I see Jaine nod to the front. Her head held high, Jaine and I walk side-by-side toward the dais leaving the circle behind, but not for long. Once at the first step, she continues up, while I stand watching from the ground floor. A total hush descend on the room, as she gains the top, and foolishly I think that this is the first time she has been higher then my shoulders. Bowing my head, I slid down to kneel on one knee, “I, Lady L’Aurel Woodshadow, Countess of Hywrl do swear my life and my bow to you, Jaine Ryhnn, true Queen of the Kingdom.” Silently I say it again, but as L’Aurel Woodshadow Dorn.

Jaine looks to Joshua as he brings a small box forward. She takes one of six small gold ring from the box and then moves to stand in front of me. As I rise, I reach out my hand where Jaine places a small golden circlet of a bird eating it’s tail. A flash of red catches the light, giving life to the blood colored eyes. It is one of the rings Arfin forged with his own hand, and now would be our symbol to all, a phoenix circle. I had given up on the complexities of how to correctly curtsey to whom, how low, when and such, so instead I bend my knee and bow at the waist, my own compromise.

One by one my companions walk to the dais and pledge their loyalty, gaining their ring at the end. As each walk towards me, a soft, “Welcome” echoes in their mind. One of the powers of the rings is to allow us to talk without verbal words.

At last we stand as one line facing Jaine, chosen weapons drawn, Arfin with his hammer, Xath with her blue dagger, Farathier with his lance, Archonus crossing his long sword with his short sword, and Justice with her long sword. Jaine with a smile of joy and ease, barely moves her lips saying, “Thank you.” Then she lifts her arms and her voice, “I give you my generals!” As we turn there is a happy commotion through the hall from soldiers to commoner.

We encircle Jaine as we leave the hall, Preston leading us out. At the doorway, Father Dorn joins us, and we share a private smile. Our little troupe moves out the great doors and lining before Jaine she again pronounces us her Generals, as we kneel claiming her Queen. The crowd is more mixed outside though almost all are caught up in the events and happy mood so cheer. Quickly moving around the palace, we travel to a make shift set of tables in the attempt to prepare a banquet. Though this would never have been seen at any other Countess’ table it was the most we could offer. It was enough for a war torn people struggling to survive, however, and that is all I could tell myself.

As the guard came out of the palace they had immediately dispersed to be with family or friends. I only got one chance to pull my father aside privately. Preston, Justice, Dorn and I had by action agreed that today was not the day to spring this surprise on everyone. I could not wait until tomorrow at the latest, having a hard time keeping this secret even for this day.

Soon it was time for the evening festivities. After a whole day of this though all I wanted was just to be free for a moment, no more prying eyes, no more expectations, just some fresh air, peace and quiet. The others still seemed to be having a good time. Standing in a side doorway I look back into the changed throne room, and see Justice by the far wall in deep conversation with Joshua and Dorn. Family… it still seems odd, but comforting. People that I have chosen to care about and now have a blood tie to as well. I shift to look toward a tinkling of laughter, and see Jaine sitting regally in her chair atop the dais, easily maneuvering questions and comments from Seaborn and the Duke. Xath can be spotted on the ground level beside the dais, there is a small child at her skirts concentrating on something she is saying. Behind Xath, I can see the shadow of Archonus. I can only assume Archonus picked the spot since from there he could watch as one of her protectors. I let my gauze linger, but finally push on to see Korienne still lingering by as well, though staying far from Archonus’ position. I am surprised that Korienne’s gaze and movements still bring him closer and closer to Xath. Well, at least he should get points for determination.

Arfin seems to be holding his own small court with the few dwarves about, which consists mostly of drinking and yelling. Kareth and Farathier stand close the doorway in which I stand trading remarks on what I think is the best way to strangle someone. Leave it to Farathier, when all else fails talk about bashing someone’s head in.

I smile as I turn and head through the empty halls to the exit. I know I will be back long before I am missed. I pull the folds of the cloak about me to ward off the growing chill in the air. I walk toward the slowly growing Amastatian grounds knowing Ohtar is there. Ohtar had preformed splendidly today, and deserves some more pats to his ego. Since the first day he answered my call the bond between us has been growing. I can now distinguish his emotion from mine most of the time and our speech has steadily grown less stuttered. The small freckly man of Farathier’s acquaintance has designed a saddle for Ohtar, and though I can ride bareback for battle it will be needed.

In a small circle of snow drift Ohtar takes a small leap to be beside me. I calmly stroke his feathers knowing this connection is worth more then words. He seems troubled, not understanding why I may have to leave him for so long… Tomorrow. Tomorrow I will try again to explain it. Tomorrow we will be back to the planning and worrying, but tonight I just want to see my breath on the air, watch the snow fall gently on the tree limbs, and not think of plans and facades.

I hear the soft crunch of snow behind me, and turn to see a flash of gray eyes in a darkened hood. Smiling in greeting I quickly go to his open arms, “Father.” Already I can see his mischievous smile as he hugs me in return. To think he called Preston a rogue!

After a few joyful recounts of the happenings of the day, I ask, "Father, I first met you in the Apectin Temple in Oceanus, before the attack. Justice had met you before that and learned... some sort of power from you. A power you learned on the Isle of Mourning, a power over the dead and undead. You also... you brought Xath back from…from her death. Do you still posses these powers, or with you returning to us do you sacrifice this knowledge?"

Dorn lays a hand on Ohtar side, nodding his head and answering, “I do, but using such power is gravely taxing for me....they come with a great cost that cannot be measured in health, or power, or even gold...as Xath can tell you, her rebirth has been difficult for her, and for the people around her. But no, I have not lost it.”

Unwanted tears form in my eyes, “Finally getting you and having time with you has been so wonderful. I would rather have you father, then any strange magic. I would desperately hope that it never has to be asked… that a need will never arise, but as you know far more is at stake then what I want… but I had to know if they ever ask it.”

Reaching over he pats my hand, “Of course, my daughter.”

Wiping the tears from my face, “Father… I have decided to enter the Amastatian temple. If they will have me at least. I am not sure why, but I think I have always been headed that direction. In Greenwood the priestess at the temple was the one to visit our small cottage. She always had something for me, normally books on the order. She made sure Fa… Michael never saw her give them to me, but they seemed to have their own friendship. She taught me many things, and each time I have encountered those of the order I feel more of a…. a calling possibly.”

My father shifts uncomfortably, “Ah, I don’t think I can guide you on this, but I do think with your blood it is not surprising.”

I am not sure why I brought it up or why I told him before anyone else, but I did. Now to see what the abbess has to say, and to see what this fully entails. Dorn and I talked of other things just enjoying any chance to be father and daughter for next few moments. At least until the happy squeal of two lovers chasing each other came out of the darkened ally.

“I guess we should return,” I say looking to the night sky one last time. Reaching out to grasp my shoulder he simply responds “Yes.” So with that we return to the throne room, and I can smile a little easier.

Laurel

First Post

Day Forty-seven- Hwyrl

I tried to follow my normal routine today, but everything seemed a little off. I went to Link’s tree to find it barred to me for the day. Later as I arrived as normal for Hywrl’s morning court, Jaine stood on the dais for the first time in two days looking as unsure as I was.

We both knew they needed to see her as the over arching leader, but most had specifically petition me. For the morning we fell into an easy pattern of my greeting the people of Hywrl and introducing Jaine. Jaine sat while less formal no less regally then she did the day before. Occasionally she would comment to me, while I stood by her side doing as I had done for months now. At midday Jaine looked over at me, and with a smile that held honest ease went to hopefully accomplish the same deal with the Duke’s court.

I could not help breathing a sigh of relief when she left followed by her constant shadow. The queen I could handle for in the short time she was beside me we had been able to share some more easy and friendly banter. No, it was not her leaving that mad me relax, it was him. Even now my gaze did not waiver till the doors closed behind them shutting him from view. I had to frown an apology at the regent who was in mid-question at my shoulder. As always, there were some small issues that needed further attention. Luckily, mid-afternoon released me to see to other things. I went to my new rooms on the second floor, and felt the comfort of moving back to being one of the circle while Jaine took the upper rooms. There I calmly wash and change into a simple linen dress. I glanced at myself once in the mirror not wanting to concentrate on the plain image I saw there, and made my way to the small war room.

We had agreed to meet for a short while today, hopefully define some of our plans. Each had been talking with others around the city, those with military experience such as Korienne and Seaborn, and others will knowledge of Oceanus such as the Duke. As we started to look down at the few hasty maps we had, I looked pleadingly at Justice. She gave only one great sigh and then plunged in. She told them of her grandfather, while I went on to tell them of my father and uncle. Justice cut in again to further the tale of their past on the island. No mention was made of her father.

Even after so short a time in the small room I feel tense and fidgety. I could not pinpoint why, but with almost fear thought of one answer. When finally we could leave, I bid a hasty good-bye to my friends and slipped out the door. No doubt they would soon break into their groups, and not think why I was gone. So I made my way quietly to the Amastatian temple.

Not much work had been done in the past few days to the ruins, but still I sat on a small wall built so far only to my knees. The center of the main building had been cleared away at last, but most of the wooded enclave seemed to be poised to flood the space again. One of the gauzy clad priests approached me almost immediately, as they always did. I nodded my head no while trying to keep my checks from flaming too hotly. I asked after the abbess, but was told she was already occupied. He started to tell me of the other services, and with a shaky laugh I tried to be polite in my refusal. I slowed my pace once I was a few feet away know my reaction did not bode well for what I had in mind to ask the abbess. To join the order could not be a whim, and I had been so sure.

That night I did not go in search of Archonus and Greylocke, instead I asked Justice to ready Thane if willing. It was time to see if Ohtar and I were ready for aerial battle.

Laurel

First Post

Day Forty-eight- Hywrl

This morning the circle had gathered again, and plans were moving quickly forward toward a long hit-and-run inside Oceanus. It means a long stay in the midst of the enemies, and a long time from the place that has begun to feel like home to me. This time I know I will leave easier knowing each day the size of Jaine’s followers doubles. There are still some whispers of discontent and mistrust, but even those few are dying. I will also know that I have at least this time with my father and uncle.

Jaine and I, as yesterday, remain beside each other as the petitioners go through, but afterward I wave off my regent telling him I will be back shortly. Feeling more at ease with every step, I walk with Jaine to Link’s tree. I try to ignore the hunter who follows us, he is just seeing to his duties to the queen.

When I turn to leave, I know truthfully she is still someone I would follow. Not just because she would be- she is a great queen, but because she is quickly becoming a dear friend. I know I will be able to talk with her as easily as I do Justice, Kareth and Arfin, and soon call her just as much of a friend.

Laurel

First Post
Chapter Nine: “What Price Survival”

Day Forty-nine -Hywrl

The air is crisp and cold, as we look at each others breath that afternoon. We have made it to the last leg of our journey. I remember that morning when Dorn and I had said our good-byes. There were no tears and no emotional outbursts just a deep understanding. “I would not ask someone to go in my place. I shall only regret these days of not being able to talk to you, father.”

“I know. Go safely, daughter.” He and Preston followed us to the gates of Oceanus, but Dorn with his hand on Preston’s shoulder made him stop there. Justice continued to look over her shoulder at the fading image of her grandfather till they were out of sight, but I knew better then to look back. Our elite forces would be needed in the field, so that left us with Dorn and Preston to be constant protectors to Jaine.

Since morning we had been able to stick to the dense cover of the forest. When that was left behind we stuck to the snow drifts and abandoned houses left in the open plains between the Alder’s forest and the walls of Oceanus. This last quarter mile though will be the true test. As Justice’s aerial scouting had told us, it had been completely cleared. It lay now with a solid sheet of pristine snow that reached about mid-calf. Archonus and I nod to each other and speak the words that will hide our tracks. Then quietly we each take out our little vials. Originally one of Thanesports bartender, Caweys had made them for us, hopefully they would do what they should. Inside our heads we hear Justice’s voice, “Now.” Tipping the vile on end, I feel the cool liquid sweep through my veins.

We can only talk through the power imbued in our phoenix rings, as we now can not even see each other. As I reach the foot of the wall, I see a grappling hook appear to my left. As it hits the stone wall above I know it to be Kareth’s. As mine flies true and digs into place, I see the other 4 hooks go up as planned. Knowing only by the slight sounds beside me, the others pace up the wall.

At the top I crouch, shouts go up in draconic alerting others to our ropes and someone’s armor scratching the stone. I see one guard going to Karthes hook on the end. Slowly I move the few feet to his side. Through the strange power of our oath, I feel a sharp pain and glancing to my left seeing a shadowy Archonus.

Guards come running from both towers, but some stay were they are hoping to use the higher ground to their advantage. Being invisible is our only surprise now. They can see Archonus, but not the rest of us. I feel a brush beside me and hear Kareth pulling himself up on the wall. I need to get to higher ground.

Through the rings I tell the others, “I’m going for the tower.” I race across the narrow stone wall, as more guards rush by on the landing. A guard comes within a hairs breath of me, as Kareth shouts, “Out of way.” Leaping and flinging my arm up I can reach the top of the tower and pull myself over the stone battlement. I see only two guards both balancing spears over their shoulder and looking for the best shot. Without sound I roll behind them, and with only a sharp thwack of my string place a series of arrows in the first ones back. The other briefly charges gaining arrows as he comes. He manages to slice a shallow wound in my bow hand as he struggles into death.

I turn knowing Kareth is beside the turret and now very visible. The pile of guards at the door seems to be crawling with angry draconid guards. It also makes my need for aim almost pointless. Though I easily hide in the shadows one of the guards takes note of the arrows flight. I see the slim scaly hand reach the top of the tower. Unfortunately for him, he is a little slow in the climbing process, so I shoot him before he has a chance to gain his footing completely. I see Kareth has the rest pinned, and is dealing with each as they step into the doorway. I look to find other targets.

Justice quickly kills the one Archonus had been toying with. Leaving Archonus to finally kill the only other enemy flanking him. There are two more guards in the tower across from me, ready to pounce down on my two friends. I quickly draw my bow taught again, but hear a snap as the shredded string breaks. I quickly re-string it, chastising myself for stupidly not seeing it before.

Xath appears next to one of the guards a dagger flashing in her hand. Within seconds Justice climbs to her side. Both make quick work of that one, while Kareth and Archonus dice up the other. Scanning the wall around us, I take my kukri and cut small strips out of the ball in my pouch. Loosely I tie one over each dead guard’s eyes. Then I slash their throats; making sure they will not come back in perfect form. I can hear Justice in my head giving Archonus a hard time for not killing the first guard sooner. She also adds some biting comment about him getting his short sword stuck in the wall. Trying to ignore the reprimand I continue through the other two bodies. Once finished, I hop down to the main wall area, and follow the others, “There are more guards coming. We have to hurry if we are to surprise them.” Xath comments, wiping her blade on the red sash she carries.

On the next tower, guards are pouring through, with one large ugly leader in front. His uniform seems to have more trim. “Oh, finally an officer,” Justice intones with ill-suppressed glee. We quickly position ourselves on the small turret. Archonus and Kareth stand at the back both in a clear path to the approaching guards. Justice stands slightly behind Xath and I. Raising our bows we pierce a few as they come closer. When they finally breach the small wall, Archonus leaps from the shadows and rushes the leader. Pushing him backward, the draconid looses his footing taking himself and Arhconus over the edge.

I quickly shoot into the other guards as the rest rush in. “Archon? How are you doing?” Comes a strained missive from Xath. “Fine,” comes the faint mental grunt from Archonus below. Kareth charges another as Arhconus did, and as before follows his enemy to the ground below. I quickly shoot the other two as Justice pushes past their falling bodies pulling her cross bow out. Xath seeing an open line over the wall simply leaps to the ground below.

I look over the tower wall to see Archonus’s dark head limply dangling to his chest a large scimitar handle protruding from it. A dry hissing laugh hits us as the scrimitar is pulled free. At the same moment I can feel some part of me silenced. A piercing “NO!” reverberates inside my head.

Another is silenced, but I can see the rest all standing and alive. Kareth has moved inches from the large snapping jaws and swinging blade, but even from here I can see the blood his fists are causes. “It’s an anti-magic sphere. We must kill him and get Archon out of there.” Xath feverishly tell shouts through the rings. All of us quickly fire whatever we have at the guard. With a final upswing from Kareth’s fists the guards heads snaps backward and he slumps beside Arhconus still unmoving form. As Kareth moves to finish the guard off for good, Xath rushes at Archonus a healing wand in hand. Pulling him inches and out of the strange sphere. We can feel him again, but so very weak. Xath mutters, “stupid” over and over again, using a wand to heal him back up. As soon as this is done she scrambles to her feet and stands hands on hips glaring at Archonus. Justice jumps down from the wall by my side darkly threatening, “Archon, you may not have violated the oath according to the Light, but if you ever do that again I will consider it a breaking of your oath.” Kareth just walks over and helps Archonus move to his feet. Crawling backward, I only add through the rings, “I will see to those up here.” After a few seconds I wipe my face struggling to regain composure and go from enemy to enemy as before.

Finally we are grouped again on the ground below. Justice turns to the expanse of empty city before us, “Part two is to find a suitable headquarters for us.” We all knew what we were looking for at this point. With silent nods we stalk into the dead city.

The hours wore on, and our spirits darkened. Where ever we went feight screams could be heard on the wind. Shadows moved along side us, and occasionally we saw the new citizens of Oceanus, decaying wastes of flesh and bones or scaly snake like creatures. We come to another large warehouse. Again it’s entrances are closed, and the walls look sturdy. We had entered over fifteen buildings and passed hundreds more looking for the right requirements. Hopefully this one would prove better.

Archonus nods to us, as Justice takes a wide stance in front of the doorway with her blade held tightly in front. As he swings the door wide, Justice takes a step inside. I shift my knocked arrow tip around making sure to not target any of my friends as we slowly enter the single doorway. “I don’t see.. wait… there is something in the corner,” comes Justice’s questioning tone. Quietly the others move to flank her. I stay back against the wall watching their progress. “It’s a foot,” comes the curious voice of Justice through the rings. As I travel around the room, a body slowly decomposing slowly comes into view. There are some rat corpses next to the body, and the human body shows marks that prove it to be the best meal for several families of mice.

Xath takes out her bed roll to throw over the bodies, and all I can think is at least they had each other. For there are two bodies. One that by looking at what remains of her hair and clothes was an elderly wealthy merchant. The small form next to her however, wore cloth that told of his humble life on the street.

I go up the stairs to take watch out the second floor windows as the rest carefully scout the warehouse floor. “Solid roof, four solid walls, only two entrances, windows only on the second floor,” comes the strong voice of Arhconus through the rings. “This will work.” Looking into the unlit corners and ceiling I can tell it may even be high enough for some of the future plans we have. Yes, it fits the list.

Kareth goes to stand by the now closed single door, as Justice makes a stone wall appear behind where the warehouse’s huge front doors are. Xath stands in the middle of the room, and takes out the scroll from Caweys. Looking over at Archonus she asks, “Is this where we want it?” He shrugs and looks at the rest of us watching as each of us either shrugs or nods in return. The words flow from her mouth.

Thrown roughly against the brick and then away I grab the railing as the ground shudders around us. The rocky soil heaves violently upward, breaking and rearranging itself. Soon it spreads outward and forms two arms and a head with vacant eyes and mouth. I’m about 30 feet in the air, yet I look directly into the pile of rock’s assumed eye. It moves to look down at Xath. For the next few minutes he rumbles and she shouts back and forth, as we ask for his help and settle on a price for the work. He finally agrees to dig our tunnel in exchange for being able to call us at anytime to fight for him. He can only call once and he can only keep us for 24 hours.

With all finally agreed, he shifts the soil to appear that he has turned around, then slowly moves downward shifting soil and mud and silt outward in a 10 foot tunnel. Xath tells him the exact spot the tunnel should come up near Hywrl, and how deep it should go under Oceanus. Then with a satisfied smile of a job well done she looks at Justice, “Now what?”

Justice claps her hands surely grateful all the goals have been met thus far. “Now we go to step three, mapping the sewers.” Kareth moves behind her and taps Justice on the shoulder, “Sleep?” Her dark rimmed eyes glance startled up at Kareth. She then turns to look at the rest of us. I don’t know what I look like but even Justice looks about to collapse. We all have wounds and pains that need healing, and there is only so much magic can due. “We do need sleep,” Echoes Xath looking pointedly at Archonus. “It will be a few hours at the least with the pace he is going anyways,” she points looking down the shaft of now open tunnel in the center of the room. With that we are agreed.

Remove ads