• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lava Cavern of Intense Burning

Nebulous

Legend
Thanks, although I feel I am pretty lucky to have a good group of players to play with for the last 9 years.

The encounter was a blast. The party did end up splitting up, even though they knew it was a risky maneuver. I think many of them just didn't want even the smallest space to go unexplored. One group even used the wizard to get a rope across one of the chasms, and they just happened to have a rubber band that they used to represent the rope. Even the projector's overlaid grid helped to count the movement across the rope!
View attachment 44133

Hey, i see a pushpin in this picture! That really takes me out of the verisimilitude. Just kidding, that is really awesome. But i have to know, how long did the project take start to finish?

mac1504

Explorer
Hey, i see a pushpin in this picture! That really takes me out of the verisimilitude. Just kidding, that is really awesome. But i have to know, how long did the project take start to finish?

For the record, I don't think I actually authorized the pushpin. ;)

As far as time, I would estimate it took me about 30-40 hours from start to finish. That was spread over about three weeks. My wife, of course, would have a much different estimate!

Now I just have to start planning out what I'm going to do for epic tier...

Galieo

First Post
I am another of Mac's players. The set piece was fantastic to look at and even better to play on. My character was one of the characters that missed an Athletics skill check and took the trip down into the drink. Nothing like a lava bath to work out the kinks.

Aside from the overwhelming detail (AWC mentions the mithral veins), the fun of having this set piece really brings out how much can happen in three dimensions. That is something that I think I often overlook as a player. It was a great challenge to be sure.

As a side note, Mac mentioned an heroic tier set piece, which was an endless stair that played with the vertical. Damn those minotaurs!

The only the downside to this set piece is that Mac has raised the bar yet again, so now we are thinking that the epic set piece will need to be multi-planar. Not sure how he is going to manage that and I'm sure some physicists will have questions (re: string theory and what not).

MortalPlague

Adventurer
That looks like a seriously epic encounter.

My only question, however... what do you do when you're done with it? Do you store it somewhere?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads