layoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friadoc

Explorer
On the other hand, anyone who signed on with WoTC for the 4E ramp up had to realize that fewer people were going to be needed after the launch, and planned accordingly.

Definitely true, or at least had to understand the potential for it, after the previous histories with the 3e and 3.5e layoffs.

Of course, it is just as reasonable to assume that there was going to be some Modern or SciFi ramp up, too, even though, at the moment, that seems less likely.

Vaeron

Explorer
I always thought the conventional wisdom was that games were somewhat cushioned from economic downturns because they are a relatively inexpensive form of entertainment and escape from the economic gloom.

Second, we've been lead to believe that 4E was selling well. Why the cuts to the RPG section then?

You have it exactly backwards. Non-essentials are the FIRST thing people cut out of their budget. During a recession people spend their money on things like food, or rent, or mortgage, or clothing, or electricity, or gas. But the fact that WotC isn't in congress begging for $700 billion like the banks, or threatening to go out of business and lay off thousands upon thousands of employees like the car industry, suggests they're doing much much better by comparison.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
But the fact that WotC isn't in congress begging for $700 billion like the banks, or threatening to go out of business and lay off thousands upon thousands of employees like the car industry, suggests they're doing much much better by comparison.

I think it just shows that WotC is a bit more mature to not beg for money for screwing up but taking responsibility for their actions by trying to make the money themselves. The car industry is a crock to ask for money, and the banks shouldn't have been given anything the people should have.

WotC is however asking for more from people in the cost of things that should/could be much lower.

Pramas

Explorer
Major layoffs during the 3e era created some award-winning game companies: Green Ronin, Malhavoc Games, and quite a few more. I can only hope that layoffs during the 4e era do the same.

I started Green Ronin early in 2000 when I was still working at WotC actually. I was laid off in 2002 and only then stepped into doing GR full time.

Staffan

Legend
You have it exactly backwards. Non-essentials are the FIRST thing people cut out of their budget. During a recession people spend their money on things like food, or rent, or mortgage, or clothing, or electricity, or gas.
From what I understand, entertainment and luxuries in general take a hit during a downturn. But within the entertainment category, games do relatively well because of their high fun/price ratio. For example, the new edition of Settlers of Catan has an MSRP of $42. That's the cost of what, 3 or 4 movie tickets (not sure what movie tickets cost in the USA)? You'll get a lot more fun-hours out of buying Settlers than out of going to the movies.

Najo

First Post
My condolences to all of the fine people WOTC laid off. You all have done incredible work over the years and we hope to hear soon what your new plans are. This is a terrible time both of the year and during the economic crisis and our blessings are with you and your families.

As for the economy, the worse thing people can do right now is stop spending money. Typically, when recessions occur it causes a panic and people stop spending. Then the recession worsens, and its a downward spiral from there. Which means more spending cuts and company layoffs.

The main issue right now is the housing market, which is then hitting the credit and banking systems, which in turn is hurting Wall Street. The housing and banking is the first thing the new administration is correcting. If you are still employed and your monthly expenses are uneffected so far, then go about business as usual or you will make the ship sink even faster and cause more company cuts and layoffs before the government can bail us all out.

This effects everyone across the world too, as Amercia's economy direct influences the world economy. Which, to the rest of the world, as our dollar's exchange value drops from the bail out injection, you can get good deals from our exports, which gives us a flush of revenue and then helps everything get running again, which eventually helps your country too.

Anyrate, terrible news. Hopefully all will turn out well for those fine folk. In the meantime, support your local and global businesses as you have to avoid this sort of terrible things from happening again.

Peace.

Najo

First Post
From what I understand, entertainment and luxuries in general take a hit during a downturn. But within the entertainment category, games do relatively well because of their high fun/price ratio. For example, the new edition of Settlers of Catan has an MSRP of $42. That's the cost of what, 3 or 4 movie tickets (not sure what movie tickets cost in the USA)? You'll get a lot more fun-hours out of buying Settlers than out of going to the movies.

Not looking to argue. I always have heard that hobbies and affordable entertainment tend to do better during hard times so people can take their minds off of their troubles. Didn't the movies grow in popularity during the great depression and had people attending theater on a near weekly basis?

I am willing to bet top ten type movies, video games, hobby games and online video rentals are all doing at least pretty good if not fine.

Faraer

Explorer
I'm sorry to break this to you but 99% of the people who buy and use D&D products have no idea who these people are and don't recognize/care about the names.
RPG authors are less respected than they should be because publishers play up brands and play down individual writers and their names, so they aren't dependent on them and can stop paying them with minimal harm to the all-important brands. The ENnies, which list books by publisher rather than author, are complicit in this, and the latest Wizards strategy emphasizing the D&D and Magic brands above all else is likely to worsen it. It's a nasty, manipulative practice that holds down the artistic quality of RPG writing and makes it even harder to earn a living as an RPG writer.
Consumers purchase a product and don't really notice or need to notice authors or "behind the scenes" people. I've played D&D since 2e and I have no idea who any of these people are, and still don't.
Being happy to buy writing so bland and interchangeable it could have been written by any staff writer and you can't tell the difference isn't something to be proud of. Jonathan Tweet, in particular, is one of the most talented people in roleplaying, and his firing is big news for the field as a whole.

Mongo1967

First Post
Not looking to argue. I always have heard that hobbies and affordable entertainment tend to do better during hard times so people can take their minds off of their troubles. Didn't the movies grow in popularity during the great depression and had people attending theater on a near weekly basis?

I am willing to bet top ten type movies, video games, hobby games and online video rentals are all doing at least pretty good if not fine.

My experience, as the owner of a FLGS (in Michigan, no less), is that inexpensive entertainment tends to get hit less during an economic downturn, but it still gets hit. People simply have less discretionary income. Some of the comments here and on the WotC thread include the idea that if 4e were somehow "hot enough," then Wizards could safely ignore the economy. That's simply nonsense. Well-run businesses are always looking ahead, both in terms of obstacles and opportunities.

Erpegis

First Post
So, okay, I know about the crisis, but firing of the one of the chief designers of the new product, regardless of anything, seems like a shot in one's own foot. Pretty suicidal action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads