layoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigerbunny

First Post
This also makes some sense from the perspective that at this point in the launch cycle for 4E, the direct-employment component of the dev staff is likely to need some trimming. I would be amazed if they hadn't made some cuts at this level, considering the economic environment and the likely needs of their release schedule going forward. It is as much likely to indicate a shift to more work-for-hire and less internal product dev as anything else.

I expect the Digital cuts may be more meaningful, though. That's clearly limping its way toward viability, but it's also clear that there's been some significant changes in vision and scope for the digital initiative in the last year. They'll want to retool to reflect those changes.

Gundark

Explorer
it sucks...there are some big names there. Losing your job before christmas always sucks. I know from xp.

Obryn

Hero
This also makes some sense from the perspective that at this point in the launch cycle for 4E, the direct-employment component of the dev staff is likely to need some trimming. I would be amazed if they hadn't made some cuts at this level, considering the economic environment and the likely needs of their release schedule going forward. It is as much likely to indicate a shift to more work-for-hire and less internal product dev as anything else.

I expect the Digital cuts may be more meaningful, though. That's clearly limping its way toward viability, but it's also clear that there's been some significant changes in vision and scope for the digital initiative in the last year. They'll want to retool to reflect those changes.
I was going to post something very similar to this, but you did it better.

Sadly, bad economy + game that's effectively out of development = shift to freelancers and away from staff.

Still, it's very, very sad. Lots of really good names there, and I have no idea what it means for the DDI.

-O

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
My thoughts and prayers go out to those who got laid off. May you still manage to have a good Christmas, Hannukah, or whatever holiday you celebrate.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
That's terrible news. As others have said, there are a lot of big names on that list. Hopefully they won't be out of work for long.

Melba Toast

First Post
Buehler took personal responsibility for the failures of D&D Insider and Gleemax back in August. Online play was, and is, one the principle bases for 4E, so it doesn't surprise me that they had to let him go.

The fact that WotC still haven't launched their online components is devastating. I'm sure they had to throw out their whole 2008 business strategy. 4E was rushed to release because they had to hit certain benchmarks. Had they known the online component would not be ready 8 months later, I think they probably would have held off.

Not to worry though, IT is still a fertile employment market, especially for people with executive experience. He'll probably get snatched up by a video game developer.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Layoffs are rough and it sucks for everyone involved. Based on this list, it looks like some of these were the result of the DDI delay and some were general cutbacks. Hopefully, things work out for everyone.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Layoffs are never a good thing (even if they help a company survive).

I'm sad about all the people, but the work that Randy did, just in posting DDI news, almost single handedly saved DDI, at least for me.

I'm shocked not to see any names in the DDM line (though that my be down to one person).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads