• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Leap Attack (Complete Adventurer)

3d6

Explorer
Does the Leap Attack feat seem overpowered to anyone else?

Getting a +6 bonus to damage rolls for every -1 penalty you take with Power Attack seems pretty powerful, even if you can only use it on a charge.

I shudder to think of a frenzied berserker with this feat. That would give a -1 penalty for a +12 bonus to damage. Yay!

Kazuel

First Post
yes it's powerful, add in other feats like Power lunge and a few others (can't think of all of them right now) and you have ALOT of damage getting dealt. Yes it's sick for barbarians, but with a few semi monk specific feats, I see this as more of a monk thing. I would definitly have to think very hard before I let a player of mine take it.

FireLance

Legend
I don't think it's -1 for +6 damage. I'm thinking it's -1 for +2 damage for a one-handed weapon (doubled from normal -1 for +1), and -1 for +3 damage for a two-handed weapon (tripled instead of the normal doubling of -1 for +2).

Trainz

Explorer
FireLance said:
I don't think it's -1 for +6 damage. I'm thinking it's -1 for +2 damage for a one-handed weapon (doubled from normal -1 for +1), and -1 for +3 damage for a two-handed weapon (tripled instead of the normal doubling of -1 for +2).

Exactly.

Two doublings equals one tripling.

If you also add another ability that doubles PA, it would then become a quadrupling.

What's quirky, is if you score a crit with a flaming burst scythe plushone.

Fig12, Str 22, Power attack, Leap Attack, Power attacking for 5, scoring a crit:

[5(2d4)+1(item)+9(Str)+15(PA)+4(GrtrSpec)]x4+3(1d6 flaming)+15(3d10 burst)= 120 damage

Boom baby.

Trainz

Explorer
Kazuel said:
[...] it's sick for barbarians [...]

Someone has been playing too much Diablo II. :p

To be fair, the first time I saw the Leap Attack feat in CAdv, I immediately heard a "HEI!" in my mind !

Leap Attack, magical item slots... yup, maybe there IS a Diablo influence on D&D. :D

3d6

Explorer
Whoops. Its -1 for +2 for a one-handed weapon, and -1 for a +3 or +4 for a two-handed weapon, depending on how you interpret the feat.

That doesn't seem so bad.

Last edited:

Brain

First Post
Coming from someone who plays a character who charges a lot and has a high jump skill, I think this is over the top. I'd be happy with just being able to combine charge and jump to avoid terrain problems. The added damage isn't needed and seems unbalanced.

hero4hire

Explorer
Brain said:
Coming from someone who plays a character who charges a lot and has a high jump skill, I think this is over the top. I'd be happy with just being able to combine charge and jump to avoid terrain problems. The added damage isn't needed and seems unbalanced.

How many Charging Feats do we need? Especially if you're a Monk you can even get one or two more!

Powerful Charge, Greater Powerful Charge, Flying Kick, Leap Attack, Raptor School. The old Power Lunge. Reckless Charge. Forgotten Realms' Furious Charge.

Thats a lotta stackable Feats up there, maybe not all but a lot! I may have missed some too!

Trainz

Explorer
Brain said:

Well for one I welcome a feat that gives some usefullness to one of the few fighter skills. An incentive for the two hander to put ranks in the jump skill.

Nice.

Trainz

Explorer
hero4hire said:
How many Charging Feats do we need? Especially if you're a Monk you can even get one or two more!

Powerful Charge, Greater Powerful Charge, Flying Kick, Leap Attack, Raptor School. The old Power Lunge. Reckless Charge. Forgotten Realms' Furious Charge.

Thats a lotta stackable Feats up there, maybe not all but a lot! I may have missed some too!

Where can I find Powerful Charge and Greater Powerful Charge ?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads