Learning Curve

Greenfield

Adventurer
I'm having a bit of a problem with my group.

We're back in session after a hiatus (it's a seasonal thing, as I work weekends at a Renaissance Faire.)

I've never been able to see a reason why a character of just about any class shouldn't at least own a ranged weapon. Yet, in game after game, the heavy fighters' response is, "I do more damage with my sword/axe/whatever".

In my current game, 3.5, the party is 8th/9th level, going to hit 10th soon. I'm DMing, and they were checking out a problem in the northern mountains. There were reports of a strange flying monster, something described as snakelike with feathered wings. Some said it looked like a pair of them mating on the fly.

It's a Large, Fiendish Arrowhawk. (four wings, no legs, so it might look like two of something entwined about each other.)

Whatever it is, though, it should have been pretty obvious that it flys. The Ranger/Druid has a bow, magic +2. The Paladin owns one but doesn't like to use it. The Barbarian/Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple swears up and down that he doesn't own one, though the player who helps him maintain and print his sheet says it's there. The party Cleric of Kord has Spiritual Weapon, and that's good enough for him.

The Arrowhawk kicked their collective tail with lightning ray (good hits, 2D8 of damage). They ended up taking cover until it got bored and left.

Now, did they prepare for the next battle by checking out their ranged weapons? Nope. The Ranger had his out, the Paladin entered the fray with his sword in hand, and the Barb/Sorcerer spent most of the battle throwing Darkvision spells on party members.

Arrowhawk started out about twenty feet up, so a mounted rider with a long sword, standing tall in the stirrups, would still be about three feet short. Since the critter has a 30 foot wingspan, and has to flap them, I called this a 20% miss chance. I was being generous, so the guy could be at least feel a little useful.

After the first hit, the Arrowhawk rose 15 more feet to 35 feet off the ground, and proceeded to pound the Paladin and Ranger.

The monster actually took some damage this time, and after dropping an NPC ally or three and bloodying up the party it again decided to leave.

The Ranger/Druid tried an Entangle spell on the flying monster, hoping it would get grabbed by some tree branches. He more or less forgot that that spell would catch far more people on the ground than it would in the air, so it was less than useful.

The monster left.

Now, here's the bad part. It has a saddle, and they have reason to believe that its rider is a spell caster of about their level.

If they can't stop the mount (Cr 10), the team of mount and rider will be a TPK. And they refuse to change tactics.

Being Fiendish, the thing has a DR 10/Magic. Nobody prepared a Magic Weapon spell to buff bows or arrows or javelin or anything. energy Protection/Resistance? Sure. No offense.

They've had several opportunities to load up on ranged weapons, at least once after their first encounter with the Arrowhawk. It never occurred to them. They are, instead, planning what to do once they get it on the ground. Not planning ways to bring him down, just what to do when it happens.

And, of course the book pretty much says that Arrowhawks don't land. Ever. In melee range they can peck for some nasty damage, but why would it ever choose to get that close?

It's intelligent (INT 10) with a decent Wisdom score and a really high DEX. Flight 60, perfect maneuverability, and it's kicking butt from the sky.

They can stack on resistances, but it can retreat and wait for the spells to drop, then come back.

How do I, short of flat out dictating their tactics to them, get them to adapt to a monster the heavy fighter types can't ground-and-pound?

Last edited:

Nagol

Unimportant
By killing one or two of the PCs, I guess.

On a less extreme note, what I am wont to do is have a quick debrief after a session where the party's/individuals tactics sucked to try to understand why they are making the choices they did and how they think the choices they made measure up and if there are better things they can try now they had the recent experience.

Another annoying way from the player perspective is have a rival group walk in, use decent tactics, and gain the glory, lucre, and other rewards that the party just can't achieve. Have them brag about how it wasn't a challenge really, if you actually thought the situation through.

ccs

41st lv DM
Let them try this a 3rd time.
Kill several NPCs. Maybe even kill one of the characters (one who can & does do ranged. IE, a threat to the hawk/rider).
When they retreat yet again? Have the remaining NPCs berate the characters who refuse to change their non-working tactics for causing the deaths of their friends (who btw should be using bows etc themselves).
Have the parties continued failure & stupidity begin to cost them as they develop a bad reputation as incompetents.
And rub it in that the NPCs consider these guys morons.

Maybe go old school & don't award the melee guys xp - afterall, they aren't contributing to the effort....

And the ultimate insult? While you're kicking their arses that 3rd time, have the arrowhawk poop on one of the melee guys.
I don't know about your players, but if I were a pure melee type I'd be damned if I let an enemy get away with pooping on me. There'd be a reckoning. I'd find someway to get up there & stab it or someway to bring it down & stab it.

I think you've got some good advice here already. I'm a big fan of having a rival group take it out if the players get frustrated. Have the rival group rub the PCs nose in it. "Oh yea, it was really easy. We just lured it to this pass, dropped a net on it and killed it." And the townsfolk should start snubbing your PCs. Also arrowhawk poop. Nothing like insult to injury.

If I wanted to get the party to change tactics, I guess I would have the rider show up with the arrowhawk and specifically target the archer. Hound him and wear him down. Make it obvious that the rider feels the archer is the only threat. And then ... go for the TPK? If they have no answer to a flying monster then pick them off one at a time. And then go after the nearby town. Some of the townsfolk survive and flee into the mountains. Word spreads of the PCs incompetence and soon they are persona non grata in the region.

However, if they are trying to come up with a plan and they keep going around in circles it is your job as the DM to step in and offer advice. When the players are saying things like "That's a horrible plan. But it's the only plan we have!" it is a clear sign that you need to step in. Even something like "Hey guys, make a wisdom check. Okay, you remember that the creature was really concerned about the archer last time. And you know that only his arrows were able to hurt it consistently. The town has a bowyer and there is a caravan that recently came into town that you haven't checked out yet."

Maybe that caravan has a potion of fly, a useful scroll or a handful (1d20?) of magic arrows. Or you can use that wisdom check to remind the paladin that he can cast magic weapon. It may come off a bit heavy handed but I'd rather have a DM say "hey, you have this option!" than have him laughing at me for not grasping something that should be obvious.

Really, I think this comes down experience. My group has been playing for a while and everyone carries their preferred weapon, a ranged weapon and at least a dagger. Because when you get swallowed by the big monster you better have an answer to "How do you escape?". I'm not saying that you need to have a golf bag full of weapons but you don't want to be "That guy".

Lylandra

Adventurer
so I'm curious... how did the arrowhawk attack the party when they were all buffed with energy resistance? They are level 9, so the resistance value is already 20, granting them quasi-immunity to the lightning ray. Ans the spell lasts for a whopping 90 minutes. Also, just because the beast is intelligent this doesn't mean it knows jack of magic or spells. It might just think "oh they are not impressed by lightning! Like me!" and start pecking/fly-bying. If they are intelligent, then they will ready their melee attacks for the moment the hawk gets close. Spiritual weapon is not that bad against a flying opponent, as it will be much better than a Pally shooting arrows. Plus it should penetrate the DR being a force weapon and stuff...

Alternatively, offer them advice. Maybe they find a scroll with hold monster. Or slow. Or fly. Ask the Paladin why he doesn't want to use his range weapon. Maybe he got a dex malus and thinks he wouldn't do much damage anyway? The cleric for sure will be useless with a mundane ranged weapon. As I said, Spiritual Weapon is a pretty good choice in this regard. And what spells does the sorc have? He surely would have taken some damaging spells? Or is he more of a utility guy?

three levels of sorcerer and utility guy here. I plan on looking for a heavy crossbow then have our cleric enchant it to at least +1. Might Mash is a rogue scholar among orcs but only average intelligence among the rest of the party. Dark vision is my big contribution to the party as is endure elements with alarm and shield. Windhaven is the kaboom mage. Part of the reason party doesn't rely on ranged were spoiled on his magic for ranged combat. Makes it hard when he is game mastering. Not a complaint just an observation. We need to stop relying on Windy so much and step up as a party and do what needs to get done. I need to be 15th before I get my wings as a dragon disciple.

Greenfield

Adventurer
To clarify Michael's comments: In another forum I'm called Windhaven. My PC, when someone else DMs, is named Cyrano. And while he has some nasty spells, he's been far more a "Civilian" mentality than a kaboom mage.

As for our "Rhodes Scholar" Orc, he's been a powerful force in melee since day one. High strength, with Rage potential, and a two handed weapon. We worked it out that a Raged crit' would do something in the 70 to 80 point range, damage wise.

As I mentioned early on in this, the "What would I want a bow for?" mentality isn't limited to the current party. I've been seeing it for decades at a lot of tables. As soon as a combat shifts out of a character's specialty, they're suddenly useless/helpless.

And to be clear, I wasn't putting my players down, I was just looking for advice on how to inspire some versatility.

<Tangent>In another campaign the party ended up in North-central Africa. The natives were impressed with the power of the European style bows, but wondered why the PCs didn't ever use poison. IRL many of the sub-Saharan hunter type tribes use it routinely. So do a lot of desert type monsters. Yet with these warnings clearly spelled out, the party was still shocked when they ran into opponents who used poison. </TANGENT>

So I guess my sore spot isn't the current party, or even the no-archers thing. It's the learning curve, the time it takes players in general (probably including me) to adapt to changing circumstance and tactics.

BTW: Nice to see you on the forum, Mike!

Greenfield

Adventurer
so I'm curious... how did the arrowhawk attack the party when they were all buffed with energy resistance? They are level 9, so the resistance value is already 20, granting them quasi-immunity to the lightning ray. Ans the spell lasts for a whopping 90 minutes.
There are two casters in the current party of five who have the Resistance/Protection spells available. That doesn't mean that they start out the battle with the spells up, nor that they begin the day with them selected, nor does it mean that they take the time out of combat to hand protections to other PCs. And spare the spells for NPCs? Not going to happen.

(Their current NPC companions are an Orc war party of a dozen or so, with a low level Shaman among them, who they met on the road. The Orc settlement was hit and over run by minions of the Big Bad of the campaign, so this one of those cases where "The enemy of my Enemy..." can still be a treacherous pain in the ... foot.)

Also, just because the beast is intelligent this doesn't mean it knows jack of magic or spells. It might just think "oh they are not impressed by lightning! Like me!" and start pecking/fly-bying. If they are intelligent, then they will ready their melee attacks for the moment the hawk gets close. Spiritual weapon is not that bad against a flying opponent, as it will be much better than a Pally shooting arrows. Plus it should penetrate the DR being a force weapon and stuff...

Agreed, Intelligence doesn't mean any skill at Spellcraft. Neither does it mean, however, that it's completely clueless either. This is the most advanced Arrowhawk in the book, with a Fiendish template added. It sees grounded opponents, it's naturally going to blast from a distance. And the monster write up says that they will go their entire lives without touching ground. It is 100% against their nature to come down where the big guy with the Scythe can go chop-chop on them. When he starts taking significant damage, and he sees that his lightning is becoming less effective, he leaves, content that he gave them a whupping.

Good tactic? Summon Monster III, Celestial Hippogriff, and put the Paladin of Freedom on it. He's got all the mounted combat feats, has a magic lance, and can dish out a real solid wallop when he hits. That can effectively ruin the opponent's "happy place", his general immunity to melee.

Magic Weapon can enhance a bow, or a whole bundle of the javelins that the Orc allies are throwing in waves. Make the ranged weapons they have effective.

Alternatively, offer them advice. Maybe they find a scroll with hold monster. Or slow. Or fly. Ask the Paladin why he doesn't want to use his range weapon. Maybe he got a dex malus and thinks he wouldn't do much damage anyway? The cleric for sure will be useless with a mundane ranged weapon. As I said, Spiritual Weapon is a pretty good choice in this regard. And what spells does the sorc have? He surely would have taken some damaging spells? Or is he more of a utility guy?
The first time they fought the Arrowhawk they were in a keep that was guarding a pass. All the guards were either dead or missing. It struck at night (It has Darkvision to 60 and a Lightning range to 50, so night is a good time to strike). The Paladin was on watch, as was the Cleric. The Paladin stood his ground atop that tower and traded shots. His bow wasn't magical, so he's going a D8 against a monster with a 10 point DR.

Second encounter, nobody had prepped Magic Weapon or anything like it, so the Paladin lit up his flaming sword and went for the ride by slash. Scored a Critical, even with the 20% miss chance because of the bird's height off the ground. The Fiendish thing meant that the flame part of the damage didn't count (doesn't multiply with the crit), but he put some fear of God into it. It flew up to 35 feet, to avoid any more of that sword, then took to blasting the Paladin. Only 2 D8 of damage, but as a ranged touch, at +19, it's pretty much guaranteed to hit.

The Ranger/Druid threw the 2nd level Energy protection/resistance on himself, then charged in close to fire up at point blank range (PBR is 30 feet and it was 35 feet, but the archer is taller than five feet so...).

The battle field was on a narrow mountain trail with a canopy of trees overhead. The party had a sort of deal with their temporary allies: Travel/active from midnight until noon. They're on the north slope of some mountains, so the daylight issue doesn't become a real problem for the Orcs until the sun gets pretty high. This attack took place during the night time portion of their "day".

The Arrowhawk had to spend a round maneuvering down through the canopy. By the book, full grown Oak trees grow to 60 feet tall with a crown that's 40 feet wide. I figured the canopy came down to about 40 feet, so 35 was as high as I figured a Large creature could fly without running into branches.

The monster was only able to spot them because, with several humans in the party, they were carrying light sources.

I normally don't have much to say on anything so I din't post much. I play Mash as a point and click fighter so it never occurred to him in character to pick up any kind of ranged weapon to kill things. Monsters typically come to him so the novel concept of ranged fighting never occurred to him. Yes this is my excuse and sticking by it :)

Remove ads