Learning from TV

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
roguerouge said:
Do you construct your plot based on theme and desired change in the character or begin wtih the slaying challenge?
Yes.

I did both. If every adventure is framed by the development/backstory of one of the PCs it eventually loses some of its impact.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Ravilah said:
For instance, once while clearing out a temple of Vecna, I had the players pass by a pool that revealed to each of them a disturbing secret about their past or their family. One player discovered that his long lost father was actually a rapist. Another found out that a prophecy had been spoken over his cradle that a friend would betray him to his death. Another found out that the money he had pickpocketed from a man in a pub was supposed to pay the ransom for a little girl. The girl died because the money didn't make it to the drop. These revelations (though not actually "an encounter") had a huge effect on the direction of the campaign.

I came up with these secrets based on what the players had established during dungeon crawls, then created more intimate challenges.
I really like this idea. I'll have to keep it in mind for the future.

krissbeth

First Post
Ravilah said:
I start with externals (monsters, kidnappings, dungeons. etc) and let the characters begin to establish goals, desires, pet-peeves, and a moral compass. Then I start to purposely include people and events that will hinder their goals, tempt their desires, aggravate their pet peeves, and challenge their moral compass.

For instance, once while clearing out a temple of Vecna, I had the players pass by a pool that revealed to each of them a disturbing secret about their past or their family. One player discovered that his long lost father was actually a rapist. Another found out that a prophecy had been spoken over his cradle that a friend would betray him to his death. Another found out that the money he had pickpocketed from a man in a pub was supposed to pay the ransom for a little girl. The girl died because the money didn't make it to the drop. These revelations (though not actually "an encounter") had a huge effect on the direction of the campaign.

I came up with these secrets based on what the players had established during dungeon crawls, then created more intimate challenges.

Love it!

(Two of those would utterly devastate one of my characters. Wow!)

Remove ads