• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Learning Pathfinder - help!

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
So, I offered to run some Pathfinder games for friends after grabbing the core rulebooks, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it. Though I've played 3.5 a bit, I'd hardly consider myself an expert, and I've never actually DMed it.

My main issue is that I simply cannot absorb a 600-page book all at once! I've learned most RPGs in "chunks" (get the basics down and run it with that, then add on other pieces as necessary/wanted), but I'm having trouble figuring out which parts I actually need to know to run a game.

So, what do you all think are the important/core things I should focus on for learning the system, and what could (should?) I "ignore" at first? Thanks!

(For perspective, I've run BECMI, AD&D 1e, and 4e all several times, just not 3/3.5/Pathfinder)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
A lot of the pages in the PF book (and in any D&D Player's Handbook) are spells that you don't need to know much about from the start. The same goes for magic items.

I'd recommend starting with some basic, low level, dungeon-based module. Start reading through it and as skills and DCs are mentioned, look up the skill and read about it. As you look over monster stat blocks, dig up the monster's entry in the Bestiary or Monster Manual and look up all of its special abilities. Jot down some notes about anything you think you may need help remembering as you do so.
Basically, focus on the stuff you'll need for that adventure first.

When your players have their PCs generated, get copies of them or borrow them and make copies. Review their powers by looking up their character classes, feats, and gear. Think about how they might interact and use those powers with the adventure once play begins.

Don't worry about or expect to have the rules all mastered before your first session. That won't happen. But let the players know that you'll be taking some extra time to look things up as necessary. Also let them know that if any disagreements come up about rule interpretations, you'd like a brief discussion leading to your decision and then move on (I'd say no more than 5-10 minutes). If there's still disagreement, you can discuss it more outside of the game session. Basically, the best way to learn something is to do it. Studying the text alone won't make you a better DM. Getting in there and DMing will even if that means some initial decisions may be a bit wonky.

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
Awesome advice, thanks! It gives me somewhere to actually start. :)

Any particular adventure recommendations? Pathfinder doesn't seem to have the token "simple, straightforward adventure in the back of the book" that I'm used to seeing in RPGs to give me an idea of how an adventure is constructed, and I don't own any. Heck, I can't find any free/demo pathfinder adventures, except the one that comes out in a few months for free RPG day. Even the EN World community supporter content lacks in adventures. I'd rather not have to convert a 3.5 adventure (even if it is fairly straightforward), but the pickings look slim.

Dark Mistress

First Post
Awesome advice, thanks! It gives me somewhere to actually start. :)

Any particular adventure recommendations? Pathfinder doesn't seem to have the token "simple, straightforward adventure in the back of the book" that I'm used to seeing in RPGs to give me an idea of how an adventure is constructed, and I don't own any. Heck, I can't find any free/demo pathfinder adventures, except the one that comes out in a few months for free RPG day. Even the EN World community supporter content lacks in adventures. I'd rather not have to convert a 3.5 adventure (even if it is fairly straightforward), but the pickings look slim.

D0 Hallows Last Hope is a free PDF 3.5e adventure on their site. A good intro adventure, it is part of a series of adventures, the first part.
D1.5 Revenge of the Kobold King is also a free adventure. It takes place after D1, which takes place after the above D0. Of course you can run them both as stand alones.

Also they have Crypt of the Everflame the first, 1st level starter adventure using the new pathfinder rules.

There isn't any free adventures for the Pathfinder rules yet, though one is coming out this year from RPG day. There is also pathfinder society adventures. They are short made for con play in their living world. They are fairly short and cheap, like 3 or 4 bucks each.

ruemere

Adventurer
Assuming you haven't heard about it yet:
- for fast rule lookup, get either PDF version of rules, or head over to:
Pathfinder SRD (Pathfinder_OGC)
Search feature, exhaustive content.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document
Simpler to browse.

- just any 3.5 1st level adventure will do. Be prepared to use Grapple check instead of CMB. Don't worry if there are going to be fewer fatalities on PC side (this is an intended effect of PFRPG).

- remember that negative hitpoints can go down now to -CON score (-10 or -CON score, whichever is more beneficial to players), and that clerics can use their Channel Energy to produce cheap and quick mass heals (does wonders for keeping the game out of "must rest now" break).

That's it. Don't worry about the rest - it will come to you.

Regards,
Ruemere

Anguish

First Post
I agree with everything posted so far. You should also focus your reading on the character-creation section, and browse the combat section. As long as you've got a grasp of things like initiative (and you should if you've run other systems) you'll be fine.

Take your first adventure slow. Have your players (and you) stop and actually look up and read (aloud) the abilities that are being used. That way everyone at the table learns the system together.

You can read other rules later, as and when you've got time. For instance if nobody trips during your game, you don't need to have read those rules. But when you have a wolf that trips, read at the table. Don't worry about grapple until maybe after the session, when you're looking to learn what all else your players might be able to do.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Combat being as important as it is to D&D/Pathfinder, IMO it's worthwhile to schedule a "learn the combat system" session. Just run various combats with the players and their characters, just for practice.

Things to teach/learn:

• Movement, including difficult terrain
  • Reach
  • Cover and concealment
  • Flanking
  • Attacks of opportunity
  • Combat skill use (Acrobatics, Bluff, etc)
  • Dying and death rules
  • ... and many other things

Learning these things separate from, and before, your first adventure will ease a lot of pressure on you and your players.

Voadam

Legend
Combat. This is the section you want to have the specifics down if you are running a game and have familiarity with other versions of D&D. This is the one you want to read twice.

Skills are different than in 4e or AD&D, its a little like 4e but instead of your chosen skills going up every other level, you can put those increases wherever you want each level and you can choose non class skills if you want (class skills get a bonus).

Multiclassing is like dual/switch class human option from 1e/2e, a little. Not relevant at first level.

Abilities work a little differently than in 4e, int gives bonus skills but no ac or reflex defense, charisma gives no will defense bonus, and str gives no fort bonus. Dex gives a bonus to ranged attacks but not to ranged damage.

Most of the rest you can pick up in bits and pieces as it becomes relevant, (classes applicable to your players, spells they can cast, feats they use, etc.)

You can use 3e monsters in pathfinder, the only mechanical change will be in their grapple modifiers, these changed in PF and got split into offense and defense scores. The PF bestiary changes some monster stuff to make it easier to run, but the changes are not necessary and the game will work fine with 3e monsters. So using a 3e module should not be a problem.

Remove ads