Leave your smartphone at the door, get 10% off your meal

Zaukrie

New Publisher
But they are totally different situations. One is an emergency, one is possibly rude. Why discourage parents from going to your restaurant by charging them more? Why is it a good idea to go backward a decade in safety?

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
They aren't charged more, they are charged the regular price.

And how will a phone keep your child safe? The babysitter is there for that. Seems more like insecure parents than actual safety reasons.

The same argument is used to put cameras everywhere. It is like "safety" never existed before cameras were invented.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But they are totally different situations. One is an emergency, one is possibly rude. Why discourage parents from going to your restaurant by charging them more? Why is it a good idea to go backward a decade in safety?

Presumably because they believe that five seconds difference isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference to your children's' safety. And if it would the issue probably isn't a telecommunications issue; you need a competent babysitter. But it's your decison, of course. Nobody's forcing you to do anything, Maybe you're not the target audience of the restaurant.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Then why carry a phone at all? We survived thousands of years without them.

Because they're a luxury we enjoy? But which it is OK to put aside for certain situations?

You're right: phones aren't vital. We did survive years without them. So not using one for the duration of a meal isn't a big deal.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
So why does it bother you if someone talks on the phone, if they are not in your party? How is that different than them talking in person at their table. Really, this is about your feelings, your reaction to something. There is nothing inherently wrong with talking on a phone. But like much of life, it is about your reaction to what others are doing.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So why does it bother you if someone talks on the phone, if they are not in your party? How is that different than them talking in person at their table. Really, this is about your feelings, your reaction to something. There is nothing inherently wrong with talking on a phone. But like much of life, it is about your reaction to what others are doing.

I'm assuming you're talking to me?

It doesn't, particularly. But I don't run that restaurant. It bothers them, clearly, and I think it's a reasonable thing to try to encourage if that's the ambience you're trying to sell to your customers.

It does bother me if someone I'm at a table with is giving their attention to a phone rather than me, though. And I'd enjoy a restaurant which took measures to actively discourage that, and would be more likely to frequent it.

That said - as an aside - someone taking on a phone is not the same as someone talking at their table. When you're missing half the conversation, the whole thing is far more distracting and invasive, being a non-natural series of non-sequiturs. The brain doesn't react well to hearing only half a conversation. There have been loads of studies of this, especially in the context of trains. But that's a side-issue at best.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Actually, you was aimed at anyone.....and I agree, if someone at my table is not paying attention, it is rude. But that is not the example I brought up. Again, why does anyone care if people are on the phone at another table? How is that different than them talking to someone at the table? What if it is someone alone, traveling on business, that wants to talk to their family? I can think of dozens I'd good reasons to carry and use a phone.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Without wanting to sound repetitive - for the reasons elucidated previously. I feel like you're ignoring the answers being given to your questions. Again, disagreeing with them is fine; but this whole pretending not to see them mannerism is quite disconcerting.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Actually, no one in this thread has said why it bothers them when people at other tables talk on their phone, or maybe I missed it.

Remove ads