LEB Discussion Thread '10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rules question:
I play a warlock. He has bloodcurse rod which has a property that triggers pact boon whenever attack through the rod bloodies an enemy.

There is a feat, bloodied boon or something like that, which triggers pact boon when the enemy is bloodied (regardless of who bloodied it) and then removes the curse from the target.

The question is: would they stack? Would star pact get +1+1; fey double teleport and dark double spiral bonus if the attack that bloodied an enemy came from the rod?

twilsemail

First Post
Has the penalty from "Raise Dead" been affected at all in LEB? Normally the death penalty is about half a level's worth of PITA. In LEB it's about 4-6 months and a level or two.

Walking Dad

First Post
It is often suggested by more PbP experienced DMs to use lesser, but harder encounters. This attitude affects the above statement. Most PbPs I was in have fewer, but harder encounters, reducing the possibilities to gain milestones.

It also increases the worth of dailies in PbP games (they can be used more often, not at a day, but in 10 encounters...), as a side effect.

renau1g

First Post
Has the penalty from "Raise Dead" been affected at all in LEB? Normally the death penalty is about half a level's worth of PITA. In LEB it's about 4-6 months and a level or two.

No it hasn't, same rules as the DMG.

It is often suggested by more PbP experienced DMs to use lesser, but harder encounters. This attitude affects the above statement. Most PbPs I was in have fewer, but harder encounters, reducing the possibilities to gain milestones.

It also increases the worth of dailies in PbP games (they can be used more often, not at a day, but in 10 encounters...), as a side effect.

As another side note, magic item daily uses limits are going away now also. PbP's typically will have less, but more difficult encounters as it takes 3-4 weeks for most of them to resolve. It would take a year to run 1 RL levels worth of encounters in PbP. I will be interested to see once people get their 3rd daily how that effects things though...

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I will be interested to see once people get their 3rd daily how that effects things though...

I view it this way at that point.

If one has 7 encounters per day (which almost never happens in PBP), every PC could use either an Action Point (4 after 6 encounters) or a Daily (3 total) every single encounter.

So that should be most people's rule of thumb at level 9 or higher. Use an Action Point or a Daily every encounter.

At lower levels, the rule of thumb should be that 3 out of 5 PCs use an Action Point or a Daily every single encounter. The players have to be comfortable enough with each other to do that and I suspect that many players will not use a Daily in encounter #1, but this type of idea does save on healing surges.

Too many people (myself included) hoard their action points and Daily powers and end up turning easy encounters into moderate ones, or moderate encounters into tougher ones and end up using a lot of healing surges.

CaBaNa

First Post
Pok hasn't used a daily or AP... Spot on KD.

I like when my character's use both dailies, and their AP on the same turn. Horrible use of resources, but fun to watch the big fireworks.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The question is: would they stack? Would star pact get +1+1; fey double teleport and dark double spiral bonus if the attack that bloodied an enemy came from the rod?
Attacks using the bloodcursed rod always trigger the boon when the attack bloodies; Bloodied Boon allows you a choice. So the question is can you choose to trigger it after the rod has done its thing? Well, the curse is still active (the rod does not remove it, like the feat does). And you have just bloodied an enemy. So, it does seem that the two would stack.

Mezegis

First Post
It always confuses me why people hoard AP and Daily powers. They are there to be used, and are given back at regular intervals, (milestones, ext rests) It happens in just about any game when you acquire goods or money, people will hoard and hoard, and then sit there and grumble their $50,000 doesn't help them because they lost on VP. FFXI was the worst, you had an ability you could only use every 2 hours, yet people would go days without using it "just in case"

I'd rather blow them early, turning a medium into an easy encounter, and deal with any repercusions later than save them up only to realize I never used them.

evilbob

Explorer
I am with Mez. If you reach a milestone with an action point or rest with an unused daily, you're doing it wrong! Also, if you get to the end of an encounter with encounter powers left, you're doing it wrong! ;) (j/k)

Seriously though, dailies are meant to be used. I find that throwing down lots of power early tends to cut battles short and save resources in the end; hording only prolongs battles and tends to waste more resources (especially healing surges). If you can spend an AP and a daily in one round, that is GREAT - you will probably save half the group their limited resources by expending yours and changing the tide of the encounter.

But hey: different play styles for different folks. Some people don't like to play that way and you can't fault a preference.

Just FYI, new proposal (in my bid to take over the world, apparently).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads