Legacy of Death Part IX: The Ultimate Tomb

Buckthorn

First Post
Buckthorn follows Sim and Forge down the stairs. Buckthorn will be quiet (stealthy)(38) and will also have a look around at the grounds - are there any tracks leading any particular direction? (perception)(32). Also, anything that looks like an entrance?

Last edited:

dyermaker001

Explorer
You hear a loud roar from further up the slope and then a light appears from an opening you had not noticed, some 50 yards away. "Friends!, I was wondering if you would ever show up" comes a voice from above. The light comes closer and when within sight of your lantern, you can make out a figure. A large human male, over six feet tall, in well worn, but cared for, chain armor walks towards you. A sword is sheathed at his side, but he shows no signs of aggression. He has shoulder length dark hair and a short cropped beard. A scar across his left cheek hints at a history of violence, but doesn't detract from his handsome face. His composure, tone of voice and body language puts you instantly at ease. He speaks as if he knows you, or at least expects you to know him, and as he was expecting you.

"I've been left alone for several days after the others were lost. I'm not proud of hiding, but you know what they say about valor, discretion and all that. I heard no signs of battle, so I guess those bladed golems didn't bother you. Come up to my humble and hopefully temporary dwelling and we can discuss our next move. I'm eager to get to the Tomb and recover the horn quickly as we can. Akronas and all of Dimmaria are depending on us!"

The man turns back towards what you can now see is a cave. As he walks away from you and your eyes trace a path up the slope, you see a large shadowy shape emerge from the opening. Another roar echoes through the air. The man looks back to you, "It seems Leandre is happy you are here as well", he says with a friendly smile.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Buckthorn, you find the tracks of one man, and one beast...and quickly realize where they lead.

Quicker then you expected.

The human that comes down has a fair amount of dirt on him, and more, and a sort of madness dances at the edge of his eyes, but you are all perceptive enough to see that this once was a strong and handsome man...if seemingly some years ago, and not mere days.

At first, the blather gecko (how did that get on Sim's shoulders?) is needed to understand his strange accent. But eventually what he says becomes clearer, as he also comes from a world with a "common" tongue.

The cat with him is truly massive. And relatively pristine.

Jin Abackis

Explorer
An odd fellow – see what I mean about lingering in this plane too long. Proper etiquette would dictate an introduction before an invitation into his abode. But despite the lack of decorum, he seems affable enough. Sim tries to recall if he has heard of Akronas, Dimmaria or any myths about a horn of Pluton (History - 32, Religion - 22). He also tries to determine if this human and cat are under some enchantment (Arcana - 29). After this, Sim will go in to listen to his tale.

ecayford

First Post
"great, another lunatic..." Is the roaring from the cat or is there something else? Does Forge think the man is insane? Is there anything else he notices about the pair that would indicate a threat (insight 16, perception 24). In any event he follows cautiously.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Its the big (technically "large") lionid cat that is roaring.

What may be afflicting him may just be the wear of this place (and none of you are feeling particularly chippy right now), or perhaps the experiences he will recount.

Dimmeria is a prime mentioned once or twice in the awesome (if tyrannical) City of Brass. Never heard of the Horn.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
And of course....

Are the three the allies you hope for? It matters not, but none seem particularly charming or pleasant to look at. They all look as if they have been through an ordeal almost as bad as yours. They should wipe off some of that greyish blood. At least they where able to survive whatever it was and make it this far in this horrid place.

One, tallish with bluish skin, is of unknown origin, but he seems to have a certain intelligence, and the subtle snark (subtle when not saying much) that sometimes goes with it. The other two may be kin of the rare and nearly extinct demi-human races of your world. One is broad, burly, and well armed. At close quarters you may be concerned about the smell, but not about the punishment it would take it or dish out. The third is small, has a bow, and dips behind dead bushes and trees. A pixie? A page or mascot for the others?

Jin Abackis

Explorer
Sim whispers to the others before they go in, I believe that this human comes from a xenophobic world that fears non-humans. It surprising that he is even talking to us. It’s probably due some madness caused by prolonged solitude and the gloom of this world. It might be best to say little and just listen to his ravings. Buckthorn, you should be especially wary, he may try to eat you.

dyermaker001

Explorer
As he approaches the cave, a bright light emanates from his helm, showing the way. You see the source of the roaring, a large lion, big enough for a man to ride, laying just inside the small entrance to a rather large cave. It's fur is a pale blue and it has a dark blue mane. The man affectionately greets the great cat and rubs it's belly as he enters the cave. How long the man has been in the cave is questionable. He lights several torches wedged into cracks along the wall, and extinguishes his helm. There is a sleeping pad, and several packs, most in poor condition. Near the packs you see a large saddle, and a large oddly shaped helmet. The remnants of a cooking fire lie near the mouth of the cave.

"Tell me, why did it take so long for the kings to send you?" While he awaits your answer he notices the looks on your faces.

"You don't know who I am, do you? You aren't even from Dimmaria?"

Last edited:

Remove ads