Legacy of the Silver Dragon: Chapter 1 (Chickens, Demons, and a Missing Girl)

gambler1650

Explorer
Erenie's House: Myst, Muzdim, Bosco

The girl appears somewhat overwhelmed by the combination of the three unusual visitors, and the alternate attempts to soothe, shame and convince her. She drops the rag to the floor, "I didn't... I was just... afraid. I thought she would show up again on her own and when she didn't..." She gathers herself, "Alright. I'll show you, but I won't go inside.. I didn't go much inside the door anyhow!"

OOC: All of you remember some details about the fire as you talk to Erenie. It happened a bit over a month ago, and two badly burned, almost charcoaled, bodies were eventually found on the main floor. The couple who lived there were well known if somewhat reserved, the man being one of the workers in the mines, and she used to make clothes to sell once in awhile. The cause of the fire was said to be a knocked over lamp.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
"An investigation which has you opening random doors on the street? Very interesting indeed. And I won't keep you from it... long. Just a taste, if you please. I would very much like to provide teas that all of Ascadar - human, elf, halfling and dwarf alike - enjoy."
Utter defeat it is. Antares watches as his carefully wrought appeal shakes, collapses, crumbles, and finally catches fire. He was rather fond of it too.... "Though I do feel that 'random' is perhaps too strong in this context? I cannot -ah- I cannot speak for all others, oh ladies of the round table, but there is most assuredly reason behind, above and to all sides of all that I do." Not necessarily *good* reason, argues the echoes of his absent sire (and who indeed is he to contradict him considering his present circumstances?).

A step into the (occupied!) lair of tea and draped curtains - accompanied by a sliding, slightly wide-eyed parting look at brown-haired Stellan, still hidden - and then all he need do is... survive the next five minutes! Without making a fool of himself (which is mostly the same thing)... "And how, if I might, did you yourself come to specialize in tea, my lady?" Which is part real curiosity - always, always there - and part holding action as he makes his way into the room proper.

[sblock=OOC]Detect magic is still active as he looks about with a trapped animal's eye for potential exits. ;) Minute 16.[/sblock]

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
The Burned Down House - Myst, Bosco, Muzdim (NPCed til Jan 31)

OOC: I'm assuming from the above that you'll follow if the girl takes you to the house where Anna disappeared. If you want to back up, let me know.

The morning is still clear and warming nicely. Townsfolk who don't have to work are beginning to roam the streets in larger numbers though only a few can be seen at any given point. Some chatter to each other outside their homes, others are heading towards the main street to pick up food, or other supplies.

Erenie, unless directly engaged, stays quiet although she appears ready to find an excuse to bolt if given one. She doesn't however, as she leads you from her home towards the area of town that the Half and Human is located. A couple of blocks before the main street that the tavern is on, you see the charred remains of the house. You remember now that the fire occurred during a rain storm which - along with the bucket brigade by the militia and the neighbors - explains the fact that the walls are mostly still standing and that the nearby houses were unaffected.

The front of the house does have a large hole in it, near the door where part of the wall collapsed, and the roof appears to have collapsed along the right side of the house. Through the hole, and the open door, a few beams from the roof, and other debris can be seen.

Erenie slows as she comes up, "We... we went in through the front door." She looks around nervously, but this area of Ascadar is somewhat quiet, one middle aged man limping down the street glances at the three would be adventurers and the girl curiously, but keeps moving after giving a respectful nod and a murmured "Praise Pelor" to Myst.

OOC: Feel free to talk things out on the OOC thread, or IC on here...

gambler1650

Explorer
Mirelle's Tea Shop

Lady Mirelle tilts her head, "All others? You have referred to your Company, and your investigation. And yet, I have seen no others..." She smiles slightly, one with little warmth but not specifically unfriendly. "Come, sit, drink. Tell me, how do the elves fare these days? Oh, and these are Lady Esdha and Lady Challon. The two older women look at the young elf warily, and should he sit at the empty spot between them, they both - not so subtly, though surely they think that they are - shift their chairs away just slightly.

As Antares turns his head to look around the room, he sees two doors. One is to the right and open and leading into another sitting room - probably an even more secluded one to entertain guests. The second door is directly opposite the arch that he came through and is closed... and softly ringing of magic. In fact, it sounds much like a warning bell, although there are no undertones to the sound - good, or evil.

Nothing else magical makes a sound in the room.

Utter defeat it is. Antares watches as his carefully wrought appeal shakes, collapses, crumbles, and finally catches fire. He was rather fond of it too.... "Though I do feel that 'random' is perhaps too strong in this context? I cannot -ah- I cannot speak for all others, oh ladies of the round table, but there is most assuredly reason behind, above and to all sides of all that I do." Not necessarily *good* reason, argues the echoes of his absent sire (and who indeed is he to contradict him considering his present circumstances?).

A step into the (occupied!) lair of tea and draped curtains - accompanied by a sliding, slightly wide-eyed parting look at brown-haired Stellan, still hidden - and then all he need do is... survive the next five minutes! Without making a fool of himself (which is mostly the same thing)... "And how, if I might, did you yourself come to specialize in tea, my lady?" Which is part real curiosity - always, always there - and part holding action as he makes his way into the room proper.

[sblock=OOC]Detect magic is still active as he looks about with a trapped animal's eye for potential exits. ;) Minute 16.[/sblock]

Binder Fred

Lady Mirelle tilts her head, "All others? You have referred to your Company, and your investigation. And yet, I have seen no others..."
"We are - but newly formed, the Driving Oath sworn but yesterday." What to say? "Perhaps you know something of Mysthyr Aran, acolyte under the Shining One?"

He pauses, tilts his head that slightest of degree...

OOC: Another minute on the door, please (Minute 17). Specifically, he'd be interested to know if it's just a warning spell or if there are others there, dormant until that one wakes them?

Comparing with what he saw from the outside, how big can that room be and were there any windows into it? No window in the door itself, I take it? Does the lock, if any, look particularly formidable?
She smiles slightly, one with little warmth but not specifically unfriendly. "Come, sit, drink. Tell me, how do the elves fare these days? Oh, and these are Lady Esdha and Lady Challon. The two older women look at the young elf warily.
A polite bow to each, almost reflex to one with his upbringing, "Antares." Ah but for a title to put after it! "We are -ah- We are well, oh lady of inquiry. "What else can you say to such a strange question? Though a tiny devil of his own makes him add, "I trust the humans fare equally well on your side?"

He considers the chairs... politely moves the only free one from its place between ladies Esdha and Challon, to a spot facing the three across the small table, lady Mirelle at center. 'If I can?' ask his hands...

<Response lady Mirelle?>

Last edited:

"If there is nothing further you can tell us, Erenie, you are free to return home," Myst says with a nod.

He then moves to the open front door and peers inside. Over his shoulder without looking back, he says to the others, "Well? Are you coming?"

gambler1650

Explorer
"We are - but newly formed, the Driving Oath sworn but yesterday." What to say? "Perhaps you know something of Mysthyr Aran, acolyte under the Shining One?"

Lady Mirelle pauses a moment, starts to shake her head and then her eyes show a bit of recognition. "He's a cleric right. Pelor? I suppose having a god on your side is always a good thing for a company such as yours."

He pauses, tilts his head that slightest of degree...

OOC: Another minute on the door, please (Minute 17). Specifically, he'd be interested to know if it's just a warning spell or if there are others there, dormant until that one wakes them?

Comparing with what he saw from the outside, how big can that room be and were there any windows into it? No window in the door itself, I take it? Does the lock, if any, look particularly formidable?

OOC: Nothing extra - magic wise - apparent on the door. It's probably not a very big room. The house overall is about 120 feet from side to side when looking at it from the street. The foyer is on the far right of the house and about 10 feet wide, the room you're in (to the left of the foyer) is between 90-100 feet wide, leaving between 10-20 feet past the closed door and the outside wall. The lock certainly looks standard, with a key hole.

A polite bow to each, almost reflex to one with his upbringing, "Antares." Ah but for a title to put after it! "We are -ah- We are well, oh lady of inquiry. "What else can you say to such a strange question? Though a tiny devil of his own makes him add, "I trust the humans fare equally well on your side?"

He considers the chairs... politely moves the only free one from its place between ladies Esdha and Challon, to a spot facing the three across the small table, lady Mirelle at center. 'If I can?' ask his hands...

The older two ladies still look at the elf a bit askance, and Lady Mirelle says simply, Oh, I think humans seem to be doing quite well also. I guess I was curious what, if any, thoughts the elves might be having regarding the upcoming election of a town leader to oversee the council? If indeed it's a consensus. Of course, we humans are somewhat divided on the matter.

Mirelle adds, at the elf's gesture, "Of course..." and then she passes across a mug of tea - cold and with a scent of spice and fruit.

OOC: On a scale of 1-10, how much would Antares have followed the politics of the town? The elves themselves are somewhat aloof from it, although a few have begun to realize how much could be changed in the town depending on who gets chosen as the leader of the council.

Binder Fred

Lady Mirelle pauses a moment, starts to shake her head and then her eyes show a bit of recognition. "He's a cleric right. Pelor? I suppose having a god on your side is always a good thing for a company such as yours."
A flash of emotion - surprised/puzzled/amused - and then his nod admits as much: Gods *can* be useful, it is true! "Then there is Stellan - Griffindom, lesser known but of definite skill with sword and shield?"

If the foyer is there, and this room is *here*, then that leaves 10 to 20 feet for whatever is on the other side of this - he looks down slightly - fascinatingly locked door...

OOC: Another minute on the door: can he figure out how to disarm it like this? Minute 18. Do you want me to roll something to avoid being spotted by lady Mirelle, Gambler?
Oh, I think humans seem to be doing quite well also. I guess I was curious what, if any, thoughts the elves might be having regarding the upcoming election of a town leader to oversee the council? If indeed it's a consensus. Of course, we humans are somewhat divided on the matter.
"I..." He honestly does not know, has had little inclination to even ponder such trite matters (contrarily to sire and dam, who-). But, if one were to think of it as leader, not of town, but -say- of a group of young friends... "believe the feeling is that things will settle on their own, my lady." Which is not quite what he was trying to express. Let's see, "Leaders... arise - emerge from their surroundings with every little trust given, every trust returned, decisions made and shared." He pursues the thought to its logical conclusion: "In deed, could it not be said that one leads before he becomes a leader -- and then there is no need to elect him?"

Which, come to think of it, might not have been the brightest thing to say in present company...

[sblock=OOC]
On a scale of 1-10, how much would Antares have followed the politics of the town?
3. Politics, and gossipping in general, do not interrest him as such. He is a good listener though and his mother and father, being the pro-active fanatics that they are, would definitively be in the group of elves who would take the election somewhat seriously. (Not enough to actually run for mayor, I wouldn't think, but I could be wrong, of course :devil:).[/sblock]

gambler1650

Explorer
The Burned Down House - Bosco, Myst, Muzdim

Muzdim (NPCed til the 26th per his general post) follows Myst, muttering, "And humans wonder why we live underground. Rock doesn't burn." He eyes the structure warily, but appears ready to follow Myst inside if he goes in.

Bosco: You find a back door. The wall seems pretty sturdy still, only a few holes where the fire broke through.

Myst and Muzdim: The entrance of the house looks as you might expect it. Lots of ash on the ground, though there are some flattened areas where people might have gone inside to look around. The interior walls are badly scorched and crumbling, which probably explains why the roof caved in. The left side of the house still has part of its roof. Part of a wall that divided the front of the house from the back is collapsed, and from what Erenie said, it's in that area that she saw something pale moving and where Anna's scream had come from.

Remove ads