Legacy of the Silver Dragon: Chapter 1 (Chickens, Demons, and a Missing Girl)

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
I'm an old woman, and prone to gossip and the telling of tales, as there is little else to do these days for me. So stop by anytime, young master, and I will be happy to talk one of those elegant ears of yours off. She winks at the young mage.
Antares blinks back, suddenly not quite sure how to react for some reason... He tries to cover his light blush with a polite bow: "And should any rumors of mischief, magical or otherwise... Ah... Pray do not hesitate." Another bow and he is thankfully off to the shop next door.

Fortunately when Antares looks into the pottery shop, Erisa is still talking to her customer. No magical notes of any kind come from the wares on the shelves, or the two women.
and so the elf and human exit back out into the street after a polite nod to the shop's owner.

"Tea is next, I do believe?" indicates Antares, before crossing the street and then the several houses standing between their new objective and the two shops just visited.

The spell is a carefully balanced thing in his mind's eye; a small, circling/pulsing harmony that even now requires more and more finesse to maintain at the right pitch. It will not last forever...

"A most interesting lady," he nonetheless comments to Stellan as they walk, referring to the wood-carver... "Do you happen to know why Bosco seemed to shun her? Has he done something embarrassing again?"

OOC: Detect Magic on the frontage of the tea salon, please. Minute 14.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
At Erenie's Home: Myst, Muzdim, Bosco

The girl still has something of the look of a wild animal trying to decide whether to flee, though she quirks an involuntary smile as the halfling enters. She starts to say, "Nevertheless, I'm sure my father would be better able to..." and then Myst speaks. She stops short, stares at him and then the others, appearing torn for a moment, hands idly wringing the cleaning rag she has in them. She looks directly at the cleric of Pelor for a moment, "You won't tell anyone? It wasn't my fault... She was just first..."
"Dear girl, I am the very soul of discretion and the dwarf doesn't have the requisite vocabulary to tell anyone anything beyond 'want beer,' 'gold good' and 'me like beard.' Whatever you tell us will be safe with us and could, perhaps, help Anna in her hour of need."

gambler1650

Explorer
Shops and Magical Sensing: Antares, Stellan

OOC: Nothing on the outside of the tea shop 'sounds' magical. To give a bit of context, magic items are definitely rare in Ascadar and they're not especially common in the world in general as far as you know. So, the 'expected' result of Detect Magic in most general and craft stores would be nothing. More 'specific shops' will have magic items (weapons, armor, potions) though obviously these will be expensive. Most of these stores also have bells on the doors, which are open, but the only magical one Antares detected was at the General Shop.

Myst raises an eyebrow at the halfling's words and then turns his attention back to Erenie. "What do you mean Anna was just first? Please explain this," he says kindly, caring and concern evident on his face.

Binder Fred

In front of the tea salon

"Should we go in?" He doesn't look that certain about it himself. Madame Mirelle is one of the most influential wife in town, mother to the present mayor, widow to one of the biggest logger there ever was, who built her an annex of maple and fir, that she could welcome her friends in style. Most importantly, it is a women's only place, and one that is not even open this early in the morning (infusions being a thing of mid to late afternoons, apparently). "Perhaps you should try the door?" If it's unlocked...

<Response Stellan?>

Binder Fred

OOC: In the spirit of the new year, I'm going to semi-NPC Stellan in this post. :) Gambler and/or Mdengler, please correct me if I overstepped, and do feel free to re-write the entire thing from any point downwards.
"Perhaps you should try the door?" If it's unlocked...

After a pause, Stellan does.

<Assuming it is:> Worse luck: the simple door handle turns under the young human's hand and there is a muffled noise as the well-oiled whatever-it-is that keeps doors closed slides out of the way!

Antares swallows, hesitates, and then urgently gestures his friend forward, trying to (calmly, CALMLY!) look left and right and back at the same time. So far so good <I'm assuming?> (thank the gods for the early hours).

But Stellan backs off, hands raised and head shaking: not going first. You go!

The young elf chews on his lower lip, a bad habit when he's distraught, and then - surprising even himself - goes for it! "Do keep watch!" he urgently whispers before fully focusing on the task ahead. What am I doing?!

After a few false starts, he finally lays his hand fully on the door handle and the door itself he slowly starts to pull open, heart in his throat, SLOWLY uncovering lady Mirelle's lobby (which is also the lobby of her house, worse luck) and then, after long eternities, the open archway to lobby's left that leads to the salon itself...

OOC: Assumed rather a lot in there, so pausing until reality can catch up with our earnest elven mage (for all I know, the ghost of lady Mirelle's husband is standing smack dab in the middle of that lobby, arms crossed :)).

EDIT=Oh and I guess technically: Detect Magic on the lobby, please. Minute 15.

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
At Erenie's Home: Myst, Muzdim, Bosco

The young woman looks from face to face, a half smile crossing her mouth as she listens to Bosco. But she sobers quickly, focusing on the priest. Indecision crosses her features, and she twists the rag with her fingers before finally saying:

"You know that abandoned house? The one that burned down a month or so ago? We were out after sunset on the night she came by, after my dad went to sleep, just walking.. well, with a couple of boys." She blushes briefly at that. "And we went past that house. I said something about how creepy it was and they dared us to go inside until they counted to 1000. We were... we were drunk, and they said we would be cowards if we refused. So... we did. Anna was braver, she was even laughing when she went inside, daring me to come further in. And then suddenly there was a muffled sound, and maybe something falling. I didn't see her, maybe something white moving where she'd gone, but I just..." and she breaks down for a moment with a small sob, "I just ran... The boys took off too. We'd just met them, so I doubt they told anyone, and my dad would probably beat me if I told him. I did... I told a guard that I saw something moving in there, but he told me it was just my imagination.. I couldn't tell him about Anna though. You won't tell anyone? My dad..."

gambler1650

Explorer
The Main Street - Tea Salon: Antares, Stellan

OOC: Mirelle can't be the wife of the Mayor because there is no Mayor. :) Just a council of 'equals'. So I retcon it to say that she's the wife of one of the council members who's hoping to become the leader of the town (effectively a mayor, but remember the council will still be present with someone from the town taking over Eliaesel's old role).

For all the dramatics, the only sight to greet Antares is the tea salon to his left, where a couple of older women are seated already enjoying a cup of Lady Mirelle's latest concoction. One is saying: "I think you've outdone yourself today. It'll be a big hit with your customers this afternoon. Charge just a bit more than usual and it'll be a bargain." Then, the motion in the lobby catches their attention, and the three turn as one to stare at the elf. Lady Mirelle is middle aged compared to the two women seated with her, likely friends or wives of other council members. All three tilt their heads - it might be comical except for the coldness in Lady Mirelle's eyes. "May I help you? You appear to be... lost."

Antares doesn't pick up any magic in the lobby, or the tea salon itself.

OOC: In the spirit of the new year, I'm going to semi-NPC Stellan in this post. :) Gambler and/or Mdengler, please correct me if I overstepped, and do feel free to re-write the entire thing from any point downwards.

After a pause, Stellan does.

<Assuming it is:> Worse luck: the simple door handle turns under the young human's hand and there is a muffled noise as the well-oiled whatever-it-is that keeps doors closed slides out of the way!

Antares swallows, hesitates, and then urgently gestures his friend forward, trying to (calmly, CALMLY!) look left and right and back at the same time. So far so good <I'm assuming?> (thank the gods for the early hours).

But Stellan backs off, hands raised and head shaking: not going first. You go!

The young elf chews on his lower lip, a bad habit when he's distraught, and then - surprising even himself - goes for it! "Do keep watch!" he urgently whispers before fully focusing on the task ahead. What am I doing?!

After a few false starts, he finally lays his hand fully on the door handle and the door itself he slowly starts to pull open, heart in his throat, SLOWLY uncovering lady Mirelle's lobby (which is also the lobby of her house, worse luck) and then, after long eternities, the open archway to lobby's left that leads to the salon itself...

OOC: Assumed rather a lot in there, so pausing until reality can catch up with our earnest elven mage (for all I know, the ghost of lady Mirelle's husband is standing smack dab in the middle of that lobby, arms crossed :)).

EDIT=Oh and I guess technically: Detect Magic on the lobby, please. Minute 15.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
"You know that abandoned house? The one that burned down a month or so ago? We were out after sunset on the night she came by, after my dad went to sleep, just walking.. well, with a couple of boys." She blushes briefly at that. "And we went past that house. I said something about how creepy it was and they dared us to go inside until they counted to 1000. We were... we were drunk, and they said we would be cowards if we refused. So... we did. Anna was braver, she was even laughing when she went inside, daring me to come further in. And then suddenly there was a muffled sound, and maybe something falling. I didn't see her, maybe something white moving where she'd gone, but I just..." and she breaks down for a moment with a small sob, "I just ran... The boys took off too. We'd just met them, so I doubt they told anyone, and my dad would probably beat me if I told him. I did... I told a guard that I saw something moving in there, but he told me it was just my imagination.. I couldn't tell him about Anna though. You won't tell anyone? My dad..."
Bosco, who has often counted on the lack of ambition and imagination in the town's guards, nods sagely.

"Wait, did it burn down before or after you were there?"

Remove ads