Legacy of the Silver Dragon - Day 2 (Interlude)

gambler1650

Explorer
Antares, Muzdim, Stellan

Perhaps used to Antares' rambling stream of consciousness when he talks, Dysare answers the last first, almost distractedly, "You would have to ask the tree whose branch provided the ring for its history..." She then says, "Quite the... adventure for such a new company.." She tilts her head, brushing some hair distractedly from one ear. "Cursed items, you say? And transformation of humans? Those sound like items of concern indeed."

Beatrix

Siarla nods emphatically, "Exactly! I think the militia as they were before a few months ago were all we needed. But the council members seem to think otherwise. Well some of them. There are dangerous beasts, and a few other monsters seen once in awhile. But in the woods! Not here." Then she pauses, "Well, there are rumors of what happened yesterday in that burned down house. But nothing's come INTO the city. Just perhaps.. under it?" She goes quiet again as she tries to work through the logic of Beatrix's argument - or maybe she's just enjoying the bites of food she takes. With a mouth full, she shakes her head, her eyes widening somewhat at the mention of an orcish horde.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Muzdin, Antares, Stellan

Perhaps used to Antares' rambling stream of consciousness when he talks, Dysare answers the last first, almost distractedly, "You would have to ask the tree whose branch provided the ring for its history..."
Before he can ask her to teach him the incantations to do exactly that :), she then says,

"Quite the... adventure for such a new company.." She tilts her head, brushing some hair distractedly from one ear. "Cursed items, you say? And transformation of humans? Those sound like items of concern indeed."

"Ah. Indeed," states the young mage, now looking somewhat self-consciously at the open street around his Teacher's garden, and the fact that - except for Enderise who is leaning - they are all standing on dew-sprinkled strips of beaten earth parsing through the plantings... "Might we -ah- perhaps discuss it over a cup of your famed briar mint tea?" he hopefully inquires with a less-than-subtle, yearning look towards the open doorway where stands her assistant...

<Response teacher Dysare?>

<Whether they do end up inside or not:
"Well, in truth matters most strange and somewhat worrisome have come to light in very recent times, Oh lady of greens... And perhaps master Stonehand would like to tell you more of them?" he smoothly concludes, the beginnings of a well-hidden smirk pulling at his lips.

<Response Muzdin?>

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Dunno what ye mean elf. Besides from what you've already said, I think its important to note this transformation seems to be reversible, although painfully, when exposed to sunlight. Dark stuff." The dwarf adds.

Binder Fred

The incipient smirk fades into mild surprise: Muzdin famously, religiously dislikes sharing knowledge. To actually volunteer missed pieces of information... "You are a surprising individual," admits the elf -- and that eagerness probably goes some ways to explain his unannounced presence with them this morn: he too is worried, in need of the illumination only the learned can provide... It is a sobering thought.

"It -ah- began with a visit to Jorgen's general store a day and a few watches ago?" he begins toward Teacher and student, who have been waiting with varying degrees of patience and interest. "The good storekeep, and his customers, had been, in truth, troubled by sudden bouts of... anger and ill-feelings towards their fellow beings in the last few weeks? He himself was - and is probably still, as a matter of fact - blaming demons -- summoned, amongst other sources, by the supposed sacrifice of old man Corl's missing chickens? But that is neither here nor there, for, after investigation, it was finally revealed that *this* is the true culprit!" And here he carefully extracts a ball of bunched parchment from the scrollcase at his waist and places it on the table <assuming we are inside?>. Under the care of his long fingers, the parchment unfolds like a scholarly flower to reveal the dull shine of a small copper bell, carefully prevented from ringing by its remaining wrapping...

<Response Teacher Dysare/Enderise?>

As they examine it: "My... fear? is that this is perhaps not isolated incident, but in truth one of many, deliberately planted for benefits as yet unclear," yet no doubt sinister, for whom but the wicked could benefit from such random malice and unrest? "And that demons might yet be involved." Whether as means - bound to that bell, curled sleeping under its concealing blanket until ringer is rung - or, worse, as the planters of cursed bells themselves... "Myself and Stellan did look through portions of the shops down Mainstreet while the spell of perception yet lasted, and found nothing of the kind -- which is of some reassurance." Except that 'nothing' is not quite correct, is it: "Oh, did you know? Daenila - the wife of the wood-shop owner - had ancestors who fought the unquiet dead? She even bears a charm to that effect, handed down through the generations -- and has promised to tell tales of those times when next we meet." By the quiet shine of his eyes, he is definitively looking forward to those tales! (For some reason he does not feel at all comfortable even mentionning the magically locked door in lady Mirelle's salon though, as if he had been caught snooping into secrets not his own -- which... is entirely the case, granted.) Which thoughts, again, are neither here nor there in the circumstances, correct? Quite correct. He chases them away and leans forward, eagerly, "So, the bell?"

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
Dysare looks at the bell with interest, once the group has entered her abode. She made no attempt to disgree with the need for at least partial secrecy and in fact even gave Enderise a look that the younger female somehow picked up on as meaning she should go outside and continue the work that her teacher had been doing in the garden. A look that Antares might have recognized as being given to him in days past - though perhaps he didn't accept such wordless requests as wordlessly as Enderise did?

She responds to Muzdin's comment from outside first, "Reversible you say?" <Assuming she gets a bit more clarification on the nature of the infection and the method used to cure Anna> "Mmmm, a very interesting... infection. It almost seems.. natural? Rather than magical? At least to my ears."

Turning back to the bell, she closes her eyes for a moment and then touches the item. She lets out an almost vexed hiss, a sound that Antares has never heard from her, and she draws her fingers back as if stung. "Whoever did this does not have our town's best interests at heart. The spell is designed to... amplify aggressive and paranoid tendencies when rung. Given what I've heard from other elves as to how we have been treated recently by some members of the town, this certainly couldn't have helped the situation."

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Hmm that explains a lot of things. Mind alteration seems to be fashionable these days, eh?" Muzdim shoot an inquisitive glare at his friends.

Binder Fred

Dysare made no attempt to disgree with the need for at least partial secrecy and in fact even gave Enderise a look that the younger female somehow picked up on as meaning she should go outside and continue the work that her teacher had been doing in the garden. A look that Antares might have recognized as being given to him in days past - though perhaps he didn't accept such wordless requests as wordlessly as Enderise did?
But then - says the echoes of his internalized Bosco - does he ever do *anything* wordlessly? :D

Still, as they file-in in front of her inviting hand, Antares can't help noticing that (maybe?) she was waiting for something before inviting them in. He really, really should have brought a gift! Frantic mental inventory of the content of belt pouch and hanging scroll case bring up absolutely nothing of use as a proper present. Unless...

Carefully nudging it with his left thumb, behind his back, he progressively dislodges the polished steel ring he put on that hand as a pendant to her own wooden one on the right, until it falls in his grasp. "Oh, that reminds me. It is but a small thing, but in celebration of your return..." and he presents it to her, overlapping palms and stance naturally settling in the proper gift-giving pose -- humble mode, of course. "It is a bit plain," he self-consciously admits, "and of no historical significance that I know of, but it has been in my care for some years...?"

He can't quite look her in the eye, suspecting that she suspects this is pure improvisation on his part.

And the presence of Muzdin and Stellan, watching, is not helping his embarrassment either...

<Response Dysare/Muzdin/Stellan?>

[A bit later, inside]
"Hmm that explains a lot of things. Mind alteration seems to be fashionable these days, eh?" Muzdim shoot an inquisitive glare at his friends.
Is he... positing some sort of connection between the two incidents? A pause to blink. Ah, Perhaps too soon to really say theorizes the young mage with an understated hand gesture...? Though they are likely in the perfect place to find out!

"You believe this was enchanted of late then, Teacher? With my limited skills I could not myself hear much beyond the thrumming note that conceals the active principles within; could not tell if demon or simple spell hid beneath that single, discordant note at its core." The one that sought to change, to make others travel its path. A thoughful pause as he tries to recall exactly what was said in the early mist of the day just past... "Jorgen tells that he acquired it from caravan unspecified a year and a half ago, and so it could be but happenstance, the unlucky passing along of items unknowingly cursed and but recently triggered -- though there might still be more from that shipment, to be tracked and disposed of? But -ah- if the magics are more recent though, then... then perhaps someone might perhaps have wished Jorgen himself a specific ill-fate?" he hopefully proposes. The lesser, much preferable of possibilities when compared to that other one mentioned earlier; the one obviously trotting through master Stonehand's ever-suspicious thoughts, the one that involves wide-ranging, perhaps town-covering malice...

<Response Dysare?>

<And, assuming it is a recent spell cast on the bell:
Ah, now that is interesting: "How elaborate is this ritual, do you know? Could it be done, for example, while the bell hung there and patrons walked the isles unknowing?"

[sblock=OOC]So enderise is female now? Not that I mind, but she was a rather taciturn male before (or does he/she change sex with the moon or something? A curse? The reason behind his/her studying of magic, or perhaps an accident during said study? :devil::)).[/sblock]

Last edited:

Goldhammer

First Post
Beatrix

Siarla nods emphatically, "Exactly! I think the militia as they were before a few months ago were all we needed. But the council members seem to think otherwise. Well some of them. There are dangerous beasts, and a few other monsters seen once in awhile. But in the woods! Not here." Then she pauses, "Well, there are rumors of what happened yesterday in that burned down house. But nothing's come INTO the city. Just perhaps.. under it?" She goes quiet again as she tries to work through the logic of Beatrix's argument - or maybe she's just enjoying the bites of food she takes. With a mouth full, she shakes her head, her eyes widening somewhat at the mention of an orcish horde.

A wide smile appears of fat warrior's face. "Then I must be telling you this tale!" She declares excitedly.

"A few years ago, but when I was being as skinny as you are now, I lived with my father, a blacksmith, in village far to the north. Our town was poor and our lord didn't care too much for us, so we only have weak wooden wall to protect us. Good for keeping in goats, but not much else. One day, Sister Castle-Sentry Kellie Roxburgh arrived in our store wanting to have her shield fixed. She was biggest woman I had ever seen, even bigger than I am now. And all the armour she wore made her look like walking castle. Of course, that didn't stop me from laughing when she got stuck through the doorway as she tried to enter our store. But lucky for me, she had sense of humour about it and soon she was answering all the questions I had about her. She told all about the grand adventures she had in service of Malborka, all the people she met, all the places she had been, all the food she had eaten and I kept wanting to know more about her. Finally father finished repairing shield and she went back to Inn for the night. She told me in morning, she would tell me more stories."

"Next morning I woke to horrible sound. From the mountains outside town echoed an orcish war horn like the howl of monstrous thunder. A war band was about to raid the town and with only rotten wall to protect us, we were doomed. Father told me to find Sister Roxburgh. She was being only one who might have chance in driving off orcs. I ran into town as fast as I could and told her of our plight. She wasted no time. She gathers anyone who could fight and them to face the orcs head on. With one of father's hammers in hand I joined them."

"By time we arrived, Orcs had already broken through wall. Buildings were burning. People were fleeing for their lives. Orcs were helping themselves to whatever they wanted. Sister Castle-Sentry Kellie Roxburgh gave off mighty roar and changed the horde. She brought down her hammer and SMASH!"
Beatrix cries, bringing her fork down on her potato for dramatic effect. "Three orcs were mashed into mincemeat! She brought her hammer down again and again, orcs were being thrown around like rag dolls. They may of gotten past wooden wall, but they could not break the steel wall that was Sister Castle-Sentry Kellie Roxburgh. Townspeople join in fight too. Even I managed to take down orc or tow. Finally Sister Roxburgh faces orc leader, giant brute. Could rip off you head with one hand. He brings down giant axe on Sister Roxburgh, but her shield stands true. She smashes her hammer into beast's side. He howls in pain and swings his axe at Sister Roxburgh's hammer, knocking it out of her hand. Completely unarmed, Sister Roxburgh charges the orc and body slams him to the ground, the impact being as loud as thunder. The giant orc is knocked to the ground. Sister Roxburgh grabs orc chief's axe and then with one blow, chops his head clean off!" Beatrix adds, chopping her potato in two.

"After that, all other orcs run away, but damage was already done. Town was in ruins. My father was on edge of death. But then Sister Roxburgh kneeled down beside my father and with the power of Malborka, used her holy magic to heal; my father's wounds. My father was saved. Then she used her power to help all the other townspeople who were wounded. And afterwards, she helped us repair town. She helped us fix our homes and stores. Other priestesses of Malborka arrived to help us build better, stronger wall, one of stone and metal, so this would never happen again. Finally after weeks of labour, town was being as good as new. It was time for Sister Roxburgh to leave. But I asked her to take me with her. I was wanting to help others just as she help my village. She said that I should join Sisterhood of Malborka, since I am clearly having guts for it." Beatrix finishes, proudly patting her giant ironclad belly. "And maybe you could have them too.." Then something dawns on her.

"Wait, you said a building was being burnt down?" She asks. "And what is happening under city?"

OOC: Sorry for the wait guys. Been busy with travel.

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
Antares, Muzdin, Stellan

OOC: Retcon: Change Enderise's name to Sianae. Stellan likely wouldn't be flirting with Enderise and since there hasn't been any obvious interaction yet that recalls the past encounter with Enderise, that should fix things...

Dysare looks over at Muzdin's comment and inquires mildly as the group heads inside, "And have there been other mind alterations recently?" Stellan for his part attempts to inconspicuously hang back a bit, trying to avoid Dysare's attention. His manner is embarrassed however, and he covers it by smiling again at Sianae who for HER part, continues to only acknowledge his attentions with an eye roll. If Dysare suspects Antares' impromptu attempt to cover for forgetting a gift, she doesn't let on. In fact, she herself seems distracted by all the news and events, merely murmuring, "Why thank you, Antares." and palming the ring. It disappears quickly into some pocket or other, and she seats herself - offering chairs for the rest. The chairs are slender but strong, and while Muzdin probably couldn't break one just by sitting on it, he probably would look faintly ridiculous.

She listens to the next scatter or questions by Antares and is silent for a moment, marshalling her thoughts. "I don't know whether this would be used by someone who wished Master Jorgen ill, it seems a rather subtle and convoluted way to achieve that aim. And my sense is the enchantment was relatively new. Say within the last week to a month. It probably would have required some time to cast the enchantment however, and so couldn't have been done by anyone without being noticed as doing something suspicious - certainly during daylight hours at least."

Beatrix

Throughout the story, Siarla listens transfixed - jumping (along with the other patrons in the small establishment) at the story. The owner appears to want to come over to have a word with the cleric of Malborka, but whether worried about the disfavor of Malborka or Beatrix who could probably eat enough to let her close up shop early every day, it's unsure.

Something near the end seems to trouble the young woman, and when Beatrix pats her belly Siarla looks down too and opens her mouth, "Uh.. that's amazing! But, I was wondering just now... Are all clerics of Malborka, um, you know... large?"

Her words trail off as Beatrix asks her questions, "Uh. Yes. Awhile ago.. and rumor has it that Anna.. a young woman I know who had been missing. She was rescued by a few young male adventurers." She lingers on the word 'male', perhaps she has a crush already on one? "They went into a well in the basement of the house, and I think they're supposed to meet up with Gregof later today."

Binder Fred

Antares, Muzdin, Stellan

If Dysare suspects Antares' impromptu attempt to cover for forgetting a gift, she doesn't let on. In fact, she herself seems distracted by all the news and events, merely murmuring, "Why thank you, Antares." and palming the ring. It disappears quickly into some pocket or other, and she seats herself - offering chairs for the rest.
Not quite enough then, or not an appropriately thoughtful kind of a thing? (and he rather liked that ring too)... Still, at least the appearance of proprieties has been observed, and that has to count for something? Will slowly relax her mood? Or could it be she is distracted by things other than themselves? Is signaling other tasks weighting on her mind?

He sits on offered chair, somewhat gingerly, and lightly clears his throat, "Well, in truth matters most strange and somewhat worrisome have come to light in very recent times, oh lady of the greens [etc]

She is silent for a moment, marshalling her thoughts. "I don't know whether this would be used by someone who wished Master Jorgen ill, it seems a rather subtle and convoluted way to achieve that aim. And my sense is the enchantment was relatively new. Say within the last week to a month. It probably would have required some time to cast the enchantment however, and so couldn't have been done by anyone without being noticed as doing something suspicious - certainly during daylight hours at least."
Night! He had momentarily forgotten about that period where he himself never has wandered the - supposedly deserted, if patrolled - streets... "And yet even then would not master Jorgen sleep just above, but a few yards away? Perhaps he could have noticed something during or on the following day? Or remember some occasion when the bell was removed in the last handful of weeks?" It is certainly worth the asking -- especially, as he is beginning to fear, if this is indeed some manifestation of generalized ill-will instead of a focused one...

And yet this feels like something of a personal project, somehow, as if he is, personally, taking time away from the truly important and tragic by even discussing it, somehow betraying the memory of Former-Anna... And yet again, he thinks with a bit of temper at the (imagined) unfairness of it all, how could they turn their back on this, once uncovered? How could anyone?

Still, it isn't with a bold voice but by leaning in, voice lower as if the others suddenly would not - could not, should not - hear, that he goes on, hands before him in an abbreviated, lesser form of 'asking for favors': "Would you perhaps be willing to show me how the concealing note might be removed, Teacher? Perhaps," a quick, apologetic, look at the other two, Stellan by the window, "later in the day?" That they might at least and at last hear the true song of the operating spell itself, learn of its nature, and perhaps even understand something of its caster from it? Without disturbing the other matter too much?

<If she hesitates:
"I do not wish to impose," with a raised hand. Yet, clearly, that is somewhat of an exaggeration, which he therefore quickly amends with: "At least not overly? Not beyond reason? I can offer -" What can he offer? Certainly gold would be an insult to all that stands between them, not worthy of even a beat's consideration - "work in your garden in compensation?" which he hates with an unreasonable passion, it is true (and, from his successes, perhaps the plants sense it?), "Or on other things? Perhaps help with whatever troubles you since your return?" he finishes hopefully, as if the thought had just occured, yet with mixed curiosity and concern clearly evident on his subtly furrowed brow as well, likely driving the question to the surface even without the need for repayment: what is troubling his teacher? (Is it alright to even ask?)

<Response Dysare?>

[When the matter of "other incidents of mind alteration" comes up]
A short silence.

"Would you care to tell this tale, master Stonehand?" And this time it seems to be a genuine offer, perhaps in part subtle apology for the attempted prank earlier?

<Response Muzdin?>

[sblock=ooc]
Retcon: Change Enderise's name to Sianae. Stellan likely wouldn't be flirting with Enderise and since there hasn't been any obvious interaction yet that recalls the past encounter with Enderise, that should fix things...
Aw, so no magically cross-sexual apprentice challenging Stellan's manliness? :D[/sblock]

Remove ads