[Legend of the Five Rings 4th Ed] Angels of the Phoenix

Vanifae

First Post
I started running this campaign this week and I hope to continue it, I currently only have two characters and may get a third but not sure. Both are relatively new to gaming and all three of us are new to Legend of the Five Rings, I am the most experienced and this is my first time running the game since I tried the D20 version probably 4-5 years ago. I am running the 4th Edition and I am very impressed with it so far, very lightweight and easy to run thus far. I do need to encourage raises though, but that will come with time. Our first adventure was purely role playing and social with no combat, I ran the Tournament of Samurai, a fun little adventure I rather enjoyed with some modifications to fit it into my larger campaign framework.

There are spoilers for the adventure, you are warned.

Important Characters

Bayushi Shiatari (PC): A young Scorpion bushi, 19 years of age, she is considered something of a failure to her family thanks to the Crane clan, Doji Aiko in particular, and a financial deal gone bad that cost her family much of their fortune. She got personal vengeance by having Aiko's young son murdered but it did little to reverse the fortunes of her family. Her father has decided to rectify that by sending her to the Phoenix lands to pay back a debt to an old friend and hopefully give his daughter a chance to prove her loyalty and worth to the family. She is a deadly warrior and an accomplished duelist her seductive beauty rivals her skills.

Agasha Mayako (PC): Daughter, age 18, of an influential Phoenix daimyo, Agasha Kosuke, she has both Agasha and Seppun blood, from her mother and great things are expected of her. Trained as a shugenja in the Isawa Shugenja school, she is a very mischievous and perhaps dangerous individual who received some training in low skills that would possibly dishonor her family if known. She constantly seeks the approval of her mother and has two younger siblings; Sukime age 8 and Keiko age 11, both being trained to be Shiba bushi like their father.

Asahina Hana (PC): A young Crane shugenja she has been charged by her parents to fulfill a debt to the Phoenix and Agasha Kosuke in the specific. She is a sweet young woman who seems not overly fond of violence but willing to do what she must. Hana seems to be the voice of reason in the group and tends to refrain from the more low and shameful behavior that Shiatari and Mayako display. Nobutada has taken a great interest in her.

Agasha Yoko: Daughter of a Hida bushi and an Agasha courtier, her parents married for love but the story did not end well for them. Her father died in battle shortly after her birth and her mother died while she was away being trained in the Hida Bushi school. She was raised by Agasha Kosuke and is very much a Phoenix samurai, but her Hida blood is strong, granting her massive size and strength. She is a calm and reserved individual and is fairly close to Mayako, they are more like sisters than friends. She has recently been reassigned as the magistrate and lady of North Border Village in light of the loss of Lady Shion's family recently. Doji Jin a Crane duelist is her lover, and the two plan to wed if able.

Agasha Ayame: Born into the Seppun Imperial family, she is a woman of privilege, grace, and beauty. She was married off to Agasha Kosuke shortly after her coming of age, and has given him three children. Trained as an Otomo courtier, she is very difficult to outwit or trick and seems to notice everything around her in the court. She is a formidable of stoic presence and rarely shows affection, even her own children. She is distant but caring in her own way. She is a dutiful wife and an honored member of the family. Her daughters are her pride and joy but she also expects great things and gives them no chance for mediocrity.

Suzume Takeshi: A young poet warrior of the Sparrow clan, he is currently traveling the empire to gather research for his book of poems. He intends to write poetry that captures the essence of all the known clans, Great and Minor and publish them. His lord has given him leave to do so and it has allowed Takeshi to see much of the world. He is an accomplished warrior but he prefers tea and poetry to bloodshed. Takeshi prides himself as something of a playboy and enjoys taking great pleasure in the world around him. His most distinguishing feature is his shocking yellow-blonde hair, dyed of course, and handsome features. He is easy going and very cordial, and tends to avoid being too formal unless he has no choice. He is the heir to the Sparrow Clan Champion and seems to resent the attention it brings.

Doji Aiko: An influential courtier, trained in the Yasuki tradition family had some old favors that the Crab had to honor, she is outwardly an honorable and dutiful woman. Truly thought she is a greedy and ambitious woman who keeps her buffoon of a husband happy by smiling politely and playing the role of good little wife. She has amassed a great fortune through shrewd deals, deceit, and seduction often while attributing her success to the skill of her husband who is oblivious to her many lovers, back room dealings, and merchant connections. She gave birth to a son, Yamaji, but he was murdered by the Scorpion. To avoid the shame, and unable to prove who his murderer was she lied and said her son died of illness. But since then she has turned her ire to rooting out his murderer and making sure the Scorpion suffer. She and Bayushi Shiatari are bitter enemies and she suspects the young Scorpion may have played a role in her son's murder.

Mirumoto Rai: Another warrior poet of the Dragon clan he is currently an unwitting pawn of the Hidden Lotus Alliance. He has no great love for the Phoenix but he does not actually want outright war either but he is a loyal and honorable member of his house and will do as instructed. He is also one of Doji Aiko-sama's many lovers; although he thinks she truly loves him as he does her. Rai is a skilled swordsman but not overly skilled in the court and as of the end of the adventure his anger towards the Phoenix has grown after his dalliance was exposed by a young Phoenix shugenja, Mayako-san. Thankfully Aiko-sama used her position to cover up the whole ordeal but the damage was done.

Natsuko: A ronin samurai bushi, she is a dangerous beauty who enjoys being somewhat scandalous and dark. Not much else is known about her besides her connection to the Dragon clan. She arrived with Mirumoto Rai and was often seen in his company in public.

Agasha Kosuke, Sweet Plum Province Daimyo: Father to Mayako and husband to Ayame, he has yet to be actually seen in the game. He is a gentle soul though not a pacifist. He is a veteran of many conflicts and earned his position through his efforts. He is respected by the people of his province and his samurai that serve him. Kosuke has no desire to go to war with the Dragon but he will do what he must to protect his clan and his Province. Unlike his wife, he is a very affectionate man and dotes after his daughters, including Agasha Yoko, constantly. He is known as the Great Strategist and the War Bird by his retainers.

Sukime: Mischievous young girl, age 8, who wants to grow up to be one of the strongest bushi in the empire. She has a natural talent for athleticism and getting into trouble and hates boring things like the court, poetry, and other dumb things. She loves play fighting, following her eldest sister around, and generally getting into places she has no business getting into.

Seppun Nobutada: An Imperial family bushi, cousin of Agasha Mayako and nephew to Agasha Ayame, he is an honorable young man who believes in the sanctity of the empire. He has no qualms making harsh decisions for the greater good and tends to be fairly rigid and conservative. He cares a great deal about his family and would die for them. He wants to prove himself in battle and feels slighted that his father will not let him join the Imperial Legions.

Keiko: The middle sister perfectly describes Keiko. She is quiet and unassuming, she tends to avoid the spotlight and prefers reading and writing to sword play. She loves history, warfare, and tactics and is very much her father’s daughter. Unlike Sukime she does not get into trouble and does what is expected of her. She loves her sisters but tends to show little emotion like her mother.

Shiba Yuuka: Lady Ayame's new yojimbo she comes from a respected Phoenix family and takes her duty seriously. She is well thought of by her superiors and is skilled in courtly manners nearly as well as her bushi training. She is ambitious and always thinking ahead, and is a clear thinker. She clashes with Mayako, who hates her for the favor her mother shows the young yojimbo. Yuuka is adept with just about any social situation and is rarely caught off guard.

Last edited:

Vanifae

First Post
Session 1: Tournament of the Samurai - Part 1

8th of the Dragon, 1172 IC, Home of Bayushi Shiatari

Candles flicker, illuminating the dark chamber. Bayushi Shiatari’s father sat in silence reading over missives from across the empire. His jet black hair pulled back into several braids, his face covered by a green jade mask giving him a monstrous visage. He glances up as his daughter enters the chamber.

“Greetings father, why have you summoned me,” she replies quickly with a bow, she was never one for formality.

Her father stands, “Your loyalty to the clan is in question daughter, ever since your failure with the Crane.”

“Failure! It was not my fault!” she replies bitterly.

“The fault is yours accept, child. But you can redeem your name and the name of the family. I will give you this one chance,” his voice even and deadly.

“What do you wish of me?” the young bushi replies defeated.

“An old friend has called in a favor due, you will be sent to the Phoenix lands to serve Agasha Kosuke, daimyo of the Sweet Plum Province. He is an old friend and your loyalty and dutiful service to him could prove a great boon for our family. Do your duty, serve him well and perhaps this stain can be rectified, dismissed,” he finishes returning to his missives.

Shiatara exits quickly, pausing only to take a letter from a servant waiting dutifully outside the chamber. She hands the young samurai an invitation to a Tournament of Samurai.

10th of the Dragon, 1172 IC, Home of Mirumoto Rai

“Kitsuki-sama, Mirumoto Rai honored bushi of the border legion reporting,” Rai bows deeply to his lord’s karo.

Kitsuki Tomoe bows as she adjusts her kimono, “Thank you for arriving, our lord has an important mission for you, Rai-san.”

“Name it and it shall be done,” the young bushi replies firmly.

“You have been given the honor and distinction of representing our house and clan in the Tournament of Samurai held by esteemed Phoenix daimyo, Asako Shizu-sama at Pale Oak Castle,” she replies flatly.

Rai-san is stunned, “I, that is quite an honor Kitsuki-sama. I will do my best to bring honor to our house and name.”

“It is not that simple, Rai-san, you will be required to perform certain actions on behalf of our lord,” Tomoe replies gently fanning herself.

“What… what actions?”

“This tournament is an insult to our house and clan, you will display our lord’s displeasure at this insult,” her voice soft but demanding.

“I don’t understand, is that honorable?” Rai questions.

“It is just, Rai-san, our lord has chosen you specifically for this task, his trust in you is absolute, and would you doubt our lord’s honor?” she questions with a raise of her brow.

“Of course not, Kitsuki-sama, I will do this,” the young bushi replies conflicted.

“Dismissed,” Tomoe turns away and walks to a screen door as the young bushi leaves her chamber. The door slides back revealing a beautiful but deadly ronin bushi with a capricious smile upon her lips. She brushes her long her back from her face with a coy smile.

“Am I to accompany him,” Natsuko grins.

“See to it, he does his duty,” Tomoe affirms.

12th of the Dragon, 1172 IC, Sweet Plum Castle, Sweet Plum Phoenix Province

“I tire of these riddles, sister,” Agasha Yoko sighs, her large muscled bulk shifting as she ponders the riddle before her.

“Oh just one more, you are getting better,” Agasha Mayako grins as she glances to watch her pet peacock, Yuki, strut about the garden. Her younger sisters were play fighting with wooden swords, defending the Empire against perilous threats.

“Fine but this is the last one, I have to see to the details of the trip all these conflicts with the Dragon of late have me concerned,” Yoko replies with a resigned sigh.
“What conflicts?” Mayako questions, totally unaware.

“Skirmishes along the borders, I am not surprised you are unaware, I don’t think your father would appreciate burdening you with such information. But lives have been lost and many Phoenix wish to answer blood with blood,” she ponders for a moment; “Hopefully this Tournament can quell some of the bloodlust and bring some peace before things get much worse.”

Mayako perks up at the mention of a tournament, “A contest? Can I participate? I want to show mother what I can do, how far I have come.”

“I don’t know it isn’t my place to say, your mother would know for sure. Ask her?” Yoko replies with a shrug.

Mayako wastes no time and leaves to find her mother sitting in her study reading. She does not even look up as she speaks to her daughter, “Yes?”

Mayako clears her throat nervously, “I… I heard you were going to a Tournament, I wanted to enter it.”

Agasha Ayame glanced up at her daughter, a traditional Seppun beauty with refined features and impeccable grace and style, “And why would you want to do a silly thing like that child?”

“I wanted to represent the family, bring honor to our name,” the young shugenja replies meekly.

“Are you sure?” her mother asks.

“I think so,” Mayako quips.

“You think so? You wish to represent our house, our family, and clan and you merely think you can to do it?” Ayame-sama returns her gaze to her tomes.

“I know I can do it, mother,” Mayako replies defeated.

“Fine, I had planned to bring you and your sisters anyway. You have my blessing to enter the contest. Bring honor to the name daughter, I expect you will do so with distinction,” her mother replies dismissing her daughter.

Vanifae

First Post
Session 1: Tournament of the Samurai – Part 2

15th of the Dragon 1172 IC, Pale Oak Castle, home of Asako Shizu, Phoenix Daimyo

The crowd of samurai was abuzz with activity, samurai from various clans all across the empire milled about in conversation. Amidst the crowd was Bayushi Shiatari looking painfully out of place and hoping to stay unnoticed as she tried to find Agasha Ayame, husband to her new lord and master for the next year or so.

“Excuse me lady?” a young girl’s voice called up to her, tugging on her kimono sleeve.

Shiatari glances down, her scorpion styled mask, covering the upper part of her face. She sighs inwardly and replies tersely, “Leave me alone, child.”

“Are you a Scorpion?” the little girl asks.

“Yes, now leave me alone,” Shiatari hisses.

“Why are Scorpion so mean? Are you a mean lady? What is your name? My name is Sukime, nice to meet you,” the little girl replies with a sweet smile. She is a pretty young girl with fine features and a mischievous energetic nature.

Shiatari tries to look away, “You don’t need to know my name.”

“Sukime-chan, you shouldn’t run off like that,” Agasha Mayako shouts as she finally catches up to her younger sister.

“She won’t tell me her name, why is she being so mean big sister?” Sukime asks.

“It isn’t polite to bother strangers, Sukime, you know that,” Mayako speaks with an exasperated tone.

“Well she won’t tell me her name that’s rude,” Sukime pouts.

“My name is Bayushi Shiatari,” the Scorpion bushi speaks with a resigned sigh.

“Hi Shiatari-chan, nice to meet you, your pretty,” Sukime grins.

Mayako sends her younger sibling back to her mother and converses with the Scorpion bushi briefly about the Tournament, both eager to show their martial skills and bring honor to their respective clans. In the midst of their conversation another bushi approaches, Suzume Takeshi of the Sparrow clan. He is a handsome young poet warrior with the hair the shocking color of the sun, and an easy going attitude that seems at odds with many of the samurai currently gathered.

Takeshi introduces himself with a bow and a smile. Initially both of the young samurai-ko are apprehensive of his motives but they warm up to the warrior poet quickly. Takeshi grins as gestures at a Doji courtier, “Now this is just gossip of course but I hear that Doji Aiko-sama lost a son a few years ago to illness, and now many say that her house is cursed since has yet to produce another child. I had no expected to see someone of his status here, interesting.”

[I was bringing in Shiatari’s Sworn Enemy disadvantage, Doji Aiko. –GM’s note]

Shiatari quips, “That isn’t what I heard.”

“Really Bayushi-san and what have you heard?” Takeshi returns his gaze to her interest.

“Oh nothing, really,” the young Scorpion bushi deflects the comment.

“Of course,” Takeshi responds not wishing to pry further, “I just hope that I can compete with such honorable and skilled samurai of the Great Clans and perform with honor and distinction. Though to tell you the truth the martial pursuits are not my passion, I am a master of words and a skilled poet if I must say so myself. My lord has given me permission to travel and work on my book, a collection of poems covering all the clans of our great land. In fact this is my first time meeting a samurai of the Scorpion clan, and I am duly honored.”

“The honor is all mine,” Shiatari replies flatly.

Mayako smiles, “That sounds wonderful Suzume-san.”

“Please Takeshi is fine, we are all friends here,” the Sparrow bushi smiles.

“I wouldn’t say we are friends just yet, Suzume-san,” Shiatari responds.

The three samurai share pleasantries for a few moments longer before Takeshi takes his leave to visit with other samurai in attendance. Leaving the two samurai-ko alone for the briefest of moments before they are approached by Mirumoto Rai, an equally young and inexperienced Dragon bushi. He bows stiffly and speaks in an even tone, introducing himself as is proper for his station. The greeting is brief before the young samurai leaves.

Mayako sighs scanning the room and is startled at the voice of her mother, holding a delicate fan with both the Phoenix mon and the Seppun mon displayed elegantly, “Mayako, we must retire and prepare ourselves for dinner tonight. Bayushi-san you as well, you represent my husband’s house now.”

Shiatari is surprised at the introduction, “Agasha-sama, of course.”

The dinner is a sumptuous feast of steamed dishes and rice, with impeccable presentation. Seated across from Mayako and Shiatari is the young samurai Takeshi, who grins at his luck. The young Sparrow smiles as he sips his tea, “Benten must favor me tonight, to have placed me back in your presence this evening.”

“Hi Takeshi,” Shiatari greets the Sparrow bushi with a practiced smile. The trio converse some more about the tournament until Asako Shizu-sama stands and offers his official greeting to the gathered samurai.

The older samurai is approaching the age of retirement, but he still retains his strength and determination and is more dedicated than ever to pursuing peace throughout the empire. His warms take in the gathered guests and he gives a warm if heavy handed speech about the conflict between his clan and the Dragon, professing that only peace can ensure true victory. Despite his message he can’t help but rest his eyes on envoys of the Dragon and the pro-war samurai of his clan. His final announcement shocks the gathered samurai as he professes that this tournament will not test their martial skills but the skills of poetry, painting, dancing, and the tea ceremony. Murmurs and frantic whispers spread through the hall.

Takeshi grins with delight as Shiatari and Mayako share concerned glances, neither is well schooled in those softer arts. Shizu-sama then raises his cup of sake, causing the hall to silence and follow suit, “For the Empress!”

Mayako peaks to Takeshi, “Takeshi-san would you like to go for a walk after dinner and tell us about your poetry? I would love to hear more about it.”

Shiatari sensing her newfound companion’s intent follows suit, “We would both be honored if you would join us.”

The young Sparrow bushi gives in to their requests and spends the rest of the evening walking with the two samurai-ko explaining his philosophy of poetry and it relates to sword play and even given them a few off the cuff poems to impress them. It turns out he is a very skilled poet but not as smooth with the women as he would like to be…

Shiatari slyly asks, “So where are you chambers in case we would like to learn more?”

“Umm.. my chambers? I mean of course, you can come by any time day or night, I would be happy to see you in my chambers, I mean happy to see you. I mean,” he sighs and gives them the location with an awkward smile.

Both girls giggle and the young poet retires.

“So what do you say we check out his chambers later tonight, and find some inspiration for our own poetry,” Shiatari whispers to her compatriot.

“You mean?” Mayako replies softly.

“3 AM meet outside his chambers, we can find what inspiration we need, are you in?” the Scorpion grins coyly.

“Of course!”

[I will admit I had not planned for this, but this turned out much better then I had hoped! – GM’s note]

Vanifae

First Post
Session 1: Tournament of the Samurai – Part 3

[This is point that most of the rolling began with some Stealth rolls, Sincerity and such as the two samurai-ko attempt to steal, ahem, get inspiration for the poetry contest in the morning. I learned that being unskilled is very, very bad and that a TN of 15 is pretty hard to hit with two dice, so I kept most of the checks relatively low for this part. It was still entertaining though. – GM’s note]

16th of the Dragon 1172 IC, Pale Oak Castle, home of Asako Shizu, Phoenix Daimyo

It was three in the morning as Shiatari stood silently outside the Suzume Takeshi’s chamber. It was rather chill this morning as she waited for her companion to arrive, Mayako was running late.

For Mayako’s sake, she was doing her best to sneak away from her family and thought she was doing well until…

“Where you going?” Sukime whispered following her big sister.

[Mayako failed a Stealth roll and so I decided instead of running into a guard, she would have to deal with her nosy and mischievous little sister, Sukime. This was fun. – GM’s note]

“I… Sukime what are you doing here?” Mayako retorts freezing in place.

“I couldn’t sleep,” Sukime shrugs.

“I was going to the… bathroom, go back to sleep Sukime,” the eldest sister urges.

“I can’t I need to go to the bathroom too, and I am scared,” Sukime whines.

Mayako thinks quickly, “What if I tell you a story about the spirit world, will you go back to bed then?”

“I love stories,” Sukime nods; as she listens to her eldest sister relate a thrilling heroic tale about the spirit realms.

[Mayako was quite skilled in this area and rolled very well and was able to avoid having her sister tag along with her. – GM’s note]

Meanwhile Shiatari waits outside the room growing impatient as a patrolling guard happens by. Thinking quickly and deflecting any notion of wrong doing the Scorpion samurai utilized her more subtle skills to avoid suspicion of wrong doing, in fact she was able to make the guard second guess his own actions and he left her nervous of his own actions. The ways of the Scorpion are sneaky indeed.

Finally Mayako arrives nearly twenty minutes late and the two samurai-ko discuss the plan and decide that the best bet was for Mayako to sneak in find any poetry, “borrow” it and then return it later once they had memorized suitable works for the contest in the morning.

Mayako sneaks into the chamber silent like the night, where she learned such shameful skills is anyone’s guess, and found a neat stack of papers of various poetry.

[Sadly, I had secretly rolled for Takeshi and he was awake and aware of the samurai-ko, Mayako rolled very well but Takeshi rolled even better… - GM’s notes]

“I hope you find what you are looking for, Mayako-san,” Takeshi speaks with a relaxed tone, “Or did you come here to seduce me in the dark of night?”

Mayako froze, “I… I…”

Hearing the conversation inside, Shiatari enters with a look of concern on her face. Takeshi lights a lantern and smirks, “If I were a less honorable man I would think you two ladies were here to steal from me. But I know that two Great Clan samurai like yourselves would never stoop so low.”

“Of course not, we came to see if you could give us more instruction in poetry, Takeshi-san,” Shiatari smiles.

“Well then why all the secrecy,” the Sparrow bushi gestures.

Mayako replies, “We were nervous, neither of us knows very much about poetry we just want to do well in the contest. Right?”

“Of course and maybe with your help, we can work out a deal that will work for everyone,” she purrs her seductive voice trying to draw the young samurai in.

[Bayushi Shiatari has Dangerous Beauty and is skilled in Temptation, but she was unable to tempt the honorable Takeshi, it was close though. – GM’s note]

Takeshi nearly gives in to the wiles of the Scorpion bushi but he stands firm and sees that there is a deal in the making here. The poet warrior shrugs, “How about we make an exchange, I can help you in the poetry contest and you owe me a favor… I mean the favor of a provincial daimyo’s daughter must be worth something. It couldn’t hurt at least to have someone like that as a friend.”

Mayako glances away, “What kind of favor?”

“Just a favor to be called in at a later date, I promise it won’t be anything outrageous, just the friendship of a daimyo’s daughter is good enough for me, if you can agree to that then I will do my best to prepare you both for the poetry contest,” Takeshi replies.

“You have a deal only if we do well, Takeshi-san,” Shiatari commands.

“This humble minor clansman will do his best to assist you in your time of need,” Takeshi grins. The Sparrow bushi ‘instructs’ his newfound allies in the vagaries of poetry, and even gives them poems to use in the contest.

[This gives each of the samurai-ko two free raises on the Poetry contest roll, so even if they fail abysmally they can still save face with a decent poem. Takeshi will become a useful source of inspiration for the two throughout the contest. – GM’s note]

The first event of the morning is a gift from the Isawa house to all of the samurai clans currently attending the Tournament of Samurai. The gift will be shared by all them in a pilgrimage and is offered to each participant in kind. Even the coarse Crab samurai upholds the proper ritual of gift giving… which causes even more shock when Mirumoto Rai does not follow convention and accepts the gift on the first offering. The room is filled with furtive whispers and glances as the Isawa karo tries to regain his composure. Mayako though is perceptive enough to notice that something is troubling the young Dragon and he seems conflicted about his actions.

The poetry contest begins quickly to put the ugly events behind the guests and Agasha Mayako is the first to go, her poem is actually well received content wise, but her actual recital was shaky. She performs admirably but not with much distinction. Her mother gently fans herself in modest approval, though her face betrays little if any emotion, positive or negative.

Agasha Yoko nudges Mayako as she takes her place by her giant sister’s side, “Well done, it seems your late night adventure was fruitful after all.”

[Mayako rolled poorly and only got the two free raises for two points in this contest. – GM’s note]

Doji Aiko followed the young Phoenix shugenja with a coy poem that brought blushing cheeks to Mirumoto Rai. Mayako notices the gentle interplay with some interest. Aiko-sama is followed by Himura Natsuko a ronin bushi attached to the Dragon clan; she gives a fairly dark poem about death that seems to unsettle the judge. The beautiful ronin smiles at the end of her poem and then takes her place at Mirumoto-san’s side.

Bayushi Shiatari gives her poem, and recites it perfectly just as Takeshi instructed her and impresses the judge quite well. She is followed by Suzume Takeshi who does an equally beautiful job with his original poem. Shiba Reikun, a Phoenix bushi that follows the Sparrow warrior fails to impress.

[Shiatari rolled well and with the two free raises she gains 3 total points from the poetry contest. – GM’s note]

Strangely Mirumoto Rai tries to avoid giving a poem but is finally coerced and gives a solid if not terribly impressive haiku that Mayako recognizes is a love poem. She glances at Aiko-sama and senses that something scandalous could be brewing but keeps it to herself. The rest of the gathered samurai perform admirably but not with much distinction and it is obvious that many are ill prepared for these less martial pursuits. Asako Shizu-sama seems to be greatly enjoying putting these young samurai to test and watches with great interest.

The painting contest begins shortly after the poetry contest. Shiatari, Mayako, Takeshi and Aiko-sama all set up near each other set to work trying to produce something worthwhile. Doji Aiko-sama tries to strike up a pleasant but tense conversation with Shiatari but the two women end up exchanging veiled threats followed by outright insults by the young Bayushi. Aiko finishes her piece quickly and leaves their presence.

Bayushi-san smiles to herself, feeling smug and superior. She finishes her work, a piece depicting sunset with a lone samurai standing on a stone before a waterfall. A scorpion sits on another stone in the middle of the stream next to a swimming frog. The piece is well received and the Scorpion bushi is lauded.

Mayako created a simple scene of a tree with falling leaves on the wind, a striking piece that also impressed the judges. Her mother fans herself gently but her overall disposition seems pleased though not overly so. The young Phoenix spends her time admiring the other works and finds surprising details that are missed by others; a sparrow’s nest in a piece about the Kaiu wall and the hordes of the Sahdowlands. In particular she spots a beautiful woman in Mirumoto Rai’s artwork and immediately glances to Aiko-sama who seems quite impressed. The wheels continue turning.

[I allowed the characters to draw their pieces of artwork, they both made sketches and I gave them three free raises for doing so, neither rolled well and so they got three points each. They both enjoyed this and I would recommend encouraging this as well. – GM’s note]

The competing samurai have a sumptuous dinner feast and relax from a day of contests. Takeshi offers his new friends some tea he brewed, both were reluctant to try, still thinking he had ill born intentions but they relent and find that his tea is especially delicious. Takeshi jokes, “I am glad that both of you turned out such excellent haiku today, I must find out where you both get your inspiration.”

Mayako seems distracted though especially after seeing Mirumoto Rai disappear followed by Doji Aiko-sama. The young Phoenix excuses herself and follows the Crane courtier, but is easily spotted as Aiko slips out the bath of the bath house. The scorpion stays and entertains Takeshi-san and Sukime who joins them.

Aiko turns flustered, “Agasha-san, are you lost?”

“Umm, I was trying to find the bath house?” Mayako answers, perhaps too quickly.

“You just passed it, shall I show you?” the Crane replies feigning help.

“Oh no I can find it from here,” Mayako turns and goes back to the bath house waiting for the Crane to continue on her way. Aiko takes a moment and then continues on her way, Mayako follows once again utilizing her shameful skills in stealth, this time without being noticed.

She discovers that the young Mirumoto Rai and Doji Aiko are involved in a shameful tryst in an empty chamber. She grins mischievously wondering how she can use this new found information to her advantage.

Meanwhile the Isawa karo and four Shiba bushi make their way through the feast hall catching Bayushi-san’s attention. She stands to follow, Sukime and Takeshi following suit. Their destination is clear to the private chambers of Asako Shizu-sama. The four bushi stand outside the chamber doors while the karo enters. A crowd is now forming at the commotion, trying their best to see what is going on.

The karo returns from the inner chamber with a look of horror on his face, He does his best to maintain his face and speaks, “I regret to announce that something shameful and terrible has occurred. Our great lord, Asako Shizu-sama, daimyo of this mighty province ahs been slain in cold murder. We have reason to suspect that his murderer may still be here within the castle, so regretfully I must request that none may leave until we find his murderer. No servant of the Empress deserves such an ignoble death.”

Vanifae

First Post
Session 1: Tournament of the Samurai – Part 4

16th of the Dragon 1172 IC, Pale Oak Castle, home of Asako Shizu, Phoenix Daimyo

The Isawa karo speaks firmly, “If anyone has any information about this murder please speak up, the honor of the Phoenix is at stake.”

A stalwart Lion clan samurai Ikoma Katsu speaks, “Hai, Isawa-sama I did see Mirumoto Rai-san leaving Asako-sama’s chambers. He had a green cloth about his head. Hida Fuya-san saw it as well.”

Hida Fuya, a stern rugged crab bushi nods, “Hai, I will vouch for Ikoma-san’s testimony.”

Mirumoto Rai arrives just as he hears his name tied to this ghastly murder and protests his innocence, “No! I could not have done it!”

“Mirumoto-san if you claim innocence, then where were you?” Shiba Reikun scowls, “Answer that!”

The Isawa karo nods glaring at the young Dragon. Rai-san glances down, “I… I was wandering the halls alone.”

“Did anyone see you?” the Isawa karo demands.

“I don’t think so,” the Dragon bushi replies defeated.

Mayako speaks up having arrived shortly after the Dragon bushi, “That isn’t true Isawa-sama. Mirumoto Rai-san is innocent he was…” she pauses considering her next words, “he was with Doji Aiko-sama they were together alone in a chamber. He could not have done this, the two were sharing a passionate moment together as scandalous as that may be.”

There are gasps and whispers and the Phoenix karo frowns.

Mirumoto Rai looks defeated and admits his guilt, “Agasha-san is correct I was alone with Doji Aiko-sama… I was protecting her honor but it seems the Fortunes wish me to suffer for my sins.”

“Calm yourself Mirumoto-san, you do not have to protect me,” Doji Aiko-sama speaks drawing all eyes to her freshly bathed face. Her kimono clings somewhat scandalously to her slight frame, her hair damp from a warm bath. The Crane courtier bows her head solemnly, “Isawa Masahiro-sama you have my greatest condolences for this heinous crime but I must correct the details of Agasha-san’s testimony.”

“Please do,” the Isawa karo replies sternly.

“It is true I met in secret with Mirumoto-san but it was no an illicit encounter, we were discussing sensitive diplomatic matters that would further cement our two houses in an alliance. These matters as you are no doubt aware of require a delicate touch, and secrecy is often the norm as is privacy,” she says with a narrowed glance to Mayako.

Shiatari taking moment to stab at her enemy quips, “Does your husband know about your private meetings?”

“Indeed he does and he approves of them, we serve our clan equally and I would never shame my husband with such shameful acts as Agasha-san has described. I am sure she merely mistook our private meeting for something far more, it is a forgivable action. Isawa-sama I apologize for this impertinence and please Mirumoto-san he was only trying to protect me and the honor of his house, he is young and foolish,” Aiko finishes with a respectful bow.

“You have always acted with honor Doji-san and I will accept your testimony,” the karo nods. He turns to those gathered, “We still must find this murderer and bring him to justice, as I have said before none may leave these premises until we have solved this matter.”

[In the text of the adventure revealing the affair between Rai and Aiko is supposed to end with both seeking seppuku to cleanse their shame. But my version of Doji Aiko differs considerably from her as written she is a far craftier and more ruthless woman, think Atia from the HBO series Rome. She is also higher status than the players and was able to use her “honorable” testimony to supersede Mayako’s testimony. It was an interesting moment and the players incidentally made two enemies in one fell swoop there, although technically Aiko was already Shiatari’s enemy. It was a fun scene to be sure. – GM’s note]

Mayako’s mother approaches the samurai-ko gently fanning herself, “The honor of the Phoenix must be upheld, I have offered your services to Isawa Masahiro-sama, Asako Shizu-sama’s karo. Do everything you can to find this murderer and bring them to justice. He is expecting you.”

The karo sighs shaking his head sadly as the two samurai-ko enter the late Shizu-sama’s chambers. His corpse kneeling in front of a tipped over desk with a Dragon marked blade in his back. Isawa-sama summons an eta, Chop, to assist in the investigation as Mayako and Shiatari examine the scene. Neither is especially trained in investigation but they find clues easy enough.

Mayako examines the wound and finds that the blade killed the aging Phoenix almost immediately. Shiatari can see that the strike was done by a well trained hand that knew the right point to strike for the most effect. Both spot a shred of green cloth in his hands which they command Chop to retrieve for them.

Chop does so and hands it to Mayako who quips, “Curious.”

“Curious, more like suspicious,” Shiatari replies glancing down at the Phoenix corpse.

“He died instantly,” she says dangling the cloth, “so how did this get into his hands?”

“It was planted, obviously,” Shiatari says with a sarcastic tone.

“So you think someone is trying to frame the Dragon?” Mayako questions.

“We can’t assume that yet, this could be misdirection to make us think that the Dragon may not ultimately be involved. But it is suspicious,” Shiatari quips in thought.

“We need to interview witnesses,” Mayako suggests heading towards the two men who saw ‘Mirumoto Rai’. Shiatari follows falling in step and behind them the already forgotten eta Chop.

[Neither character is skilled in investigation, but utilizing their knowledge of Kenjutsu, Medicine, and basic Perception they were able to piece together a few clues from a few excellent rolls. And yes Chop was quickly forgotten, poor guy. – GM-s note]

Ikoma Katsu regards the women with a proper bow, Hida Fuya follows suit though less proper. Mayako questions them, “We are investigating the murder; you said you saw Mirumoto Rai-san?”

Katsu-san nods, “Yes I thought I saw him leaving Asako-sama’s chambers with a green cloth about his face. I was sure it was him, perhaps it was? But who am I to doubt the words of Doji Aiko-sama.”

Shiatari focus on Hida-san, “So you saw him as well?”

“I, I am not sure it was dark but Ikoma-san saw him, it must have been him I suppose. Why would someone dress up as Mirumoto-san, no man of honor would do such a thing. It must have been Mirumoto-san or perhaps another Dragon,” Hida-san replies.

“I agree not even the Scorpion are that low,” Ikoma-san responds then clears his throat, “I am sure I saw a Dragon and servants milling about.”

“Servants?” Shiatari says out loud to herself, looking around for the ‘invisible’ servants that scurry about the castle. She smiles with a bow, “Thank you for your time.” She motions for Mayako to follow and the two start questioning servants. After a few inquiries they find a servants that was close to Shizu-sama’s chambers polishing the floor.

The aging man keeps his eyes down to the floor, dressed in simple yet clean clothes. Shiatari commands, “Did you see anyone going to Asako-sama’s chambers?”

“Great samurai, I am but a humble servant,” the old servant replies.

“Speak,” Shiatari replies coldly.

“I… I did see Shiba Reikun-sama going to Asako-sama’s chambers. Just before the murder, I swear it is the truth great samurai,” the servant pleads.

Mayako adds, “Are you sure of this?”

“Yes, great samurai,” the servant visibly shakes with fear.

The two turn from the servant without another word and decide to find Shiba Reikun immediately. Without much recourse the samurai-ko barge into Reikun-san’s quarters shocking the trouble bushi. Reikun-san glares stammering loudly, “Get out these are my private chambers!”

“We are investigating the murder of Asako-sama, we have reason to believe you may know something of it,” Shiatari replies coolly.

Mayako adds, “What do we do now?”

Reikun seethes, “How dare you, are you accusing me of murder? I am an honorable servant of Asako-sama! We all know it was the Dragon, search their chambers!”

Shiatari shrugs then notices Chop, “Chop fetch the karo and his guards, and we will wait here.”

Reikun grimaces, “I will have your heads for this!”

When Isawa-sama arrives the two samurai-ko request to search the room. Mayako finds trace signs of blood near his bed mat and turns it over to find a bundle of green cloth stained with blood. Reikun caught red handed throws himself at the feet of his lord and confesses in whole to the murder, much to the shock of everyone in the room.

[I allowed Mayako a Perception + Medicine roll TN 20 and she passed it with ease and discovered the blood. The jig was up for Reikun and the murder was solved. – GM’s note]

Isawa-sama seems even more troubled but gives his thanks to Mayako and Shiatari. Shiba Reikun is hauled away to be held for execution, a somber end to an eventful evening.

Outside the chamber Takeshi is waiting with a smile, “Well that was interesting, I am glad we can put that ugliness behind us.”

“Hopefully it won’t spark any retaliation,” Shiatari adds.

Mayako shrugs not overly concerned, “I wonder why Shiba Reikun did it?”

Takeshi starts walking, “We may never know. So you two ready for the dance contest tomorrow?”

“You really think the contest will continue after this?” Mayako questions, “Sure why not, it is what Shizu-sama would have wanted probably. It seems only honorable to finish it.”

“Well in that case, I think I will need some lessons?” Shiatari adds coyly.

“Me too,” Mayako chips in embarrassed.

“Never fear, Takeshi-sensei is here to save the day,” the Sparrow bushi jokes. He spends the evening showing them many proper dances and instructs them as best as he can to help them in tomorrow’s event. Both samurai-ko also spend time ‘refreshing’ the finer points of the tea ceremony in anticipation of the final event.

[This gives both characters 2 free raises for the dance competition and the 1 free raise for the Tea Ceremony; they really lack the courtly skills. – GM’s note]

17th of the Dragon 1172 IC, Pale Oak Castle, home of Asako Shizu, Phoenix Daimyo

The morning is a somber mood, but the samurai continue with the tournament, beginning with the dance contest. Doji Aiko-sama goes first and does a traditional dance that is marred by her lack of focus but she performs admirably. Agasha Mayako-san performs a slow traditional dance that although aesthetically pleasing does not overly impress the judge. Several more samurai perform admirable if acceptable dances but none standout till Bayushi Shiatari having donned a new mask performs a spectacular dance inspired by the flow of water along her overly long sleeves and grace to accentuate her already practiced maneuvers. The judge is very impressed.

This act is followed by Himura Natsuko who is wearing a scandalously short kimono, it stops above her knees, and her shoulders and arms are exposed. The beautiful ronin performs an intense dance inspired the power of the typhoon and a leaf caught in it’s torturous grasp. The dance titillates and entrances most of the men in the audience as she dances to the high pace of the taiko drums. In the end she performs quite well and leaves most of her onlookers breathless.

[Shiatari rolled very well and got 4 points total for her display while Mayako rolled poorly and only got 2 points. Her mother was not overly impressed. – GM’s note]

The final contest is subdued and most of the contestants perform satisfactorily, only one contestant actually broke his tea set and two Unicorn samurai had no idea what they were doing at all. By the end of the contest the samurai were eager to see how well thy had done and who would be crowned the winner of the contest.

Isawa Masahiro-sama gives a short speech espousing the virtues of peace in light of the heinous murder and then announces that Bayushi Shiatara is the victor. There is much praise for the Scorpion bushi, especially from Takeshi and Mayako. Isawa-sama offers her an ancient yet beautiful fan with the Phoenix mon emblazoned on it. She accepts the gift gracefully after properly refusing it two times.

That evening Takeshi meets his new found friends in the courtyard carrying his travel gear, “It has been a pleasure Mayako-san, Shiatari-san I hope that we cross paths in the future. Congratulations on your well earned victory as well,” he says with a knowing grin.

Mayako is saddened to see her newfound friend go, “I hope to see you soon as well Takeshi-san.”

“Take care of yourself Takeshi,” Shiatari adds. With that the young Sparrow bushi turns and sets out upon more adventure, secretly hoping that their paths will once again cross as well.

17th of the Dragon 1172 IC, Letter to the Emerald Serpent

The murder of Asako Shizu-sama was executed to my satisfaction. Shiba Reikun will die for his actions but the end result fits my needs. I will see to it that a more amenable daimyo for our needs will be put into power. The Dragon cub performed adequately, though his conviction is lacking. He may not be suitable for further tasks. I will continue as planned.

Your servant,

Red Blossom Cherry

[This is an interlude hinting at greater things. – GM’s note]

Vanifae

First Post
The Journal of Agasha Mayako as written by her player. This covers the events of the first adventure and gives an interesting look at a rather interesting shugenja. - GM's note

Journal Entry 1

I have exciting news! I was sharing riddles with Yoko today like usual and she happened to mention that there is going to be a samurai tournament in a few days! As soon as she said it I just knew I had to enter it. There is no better way to show Mother how good I’m getting at my spells. She doesn’t like to watch me practice. So, I asked Mother if I could participate and she agreed!! I’m so excited I’m going to go practice right now! I wish I knew what exactly we were doing in this competition…

~Mayako

Journal Entry 2

We arrived at Pale Oak Castle today and I’ve never seen so many people! Every clan has been represented all the way from the Crab to the Sparrow. I made a couple of friends. One is a member of Scorpion Clan and a very interesting woman. Her name is Bayushi Shiatari. It turns out she is actually working for my family right now to pay off some debt but it’s no matter. We instantly became friends and I have a feeling we will stay that way for a long time. The other person I met was Suzume Takeshi. He is a member of Sparrow Clan and has hair the color of the sun. I joked that his hair was unfashionable but I think I actually like it. He kept trying to get me and Shiatari to drink sake with him but we weren’t THAT gullible. Though I have to admit the flirtation was nice, hehe! Good heavens, I need to get out of the castle more often. Anyway, he kept going on and on about how good he was at poetry. I admit that it is a clever skill to have if you plan to entertain the courts all your life, but it seems kind of useless at a tournament like this. Poetry won’t keep you alive in the heat of battle. He seemed like a nice enough fellow though and I look forward to speaking with him again.

~Mayako

Journal Entry 3

WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?! When I hear about a samurai tournament, I think sword fighting or, in my case, Shugenja against combatants to prove our strength and honor. But what do I find out? This competition is actually a test of courtly skills! We have to show our prowess in poetry, painting, dancing, and the tea ceremony. What kind of joke is this? I realize that all samurai must have some common knowledge of how to properly act in court but, to have a competition of these skills? It seems like a great waste of time to me. Luckily, I know a little bit more than most since I was raised in an Agasha home, but I’m still no graceful courtier. Shiatari seemed to be just as much at a loss as I when we heard the news. We asked Takeshi to give us a lesson in poetry, who gracefully complied, but neither one of us felt any more confident. So, Shiatari and I devised a plan to sneak into his room tonight and borrow some of his poetry books so that we can get some “inspiration.” Haha! I’m starting to really like this Shiatari girl. It’s almost time to go meet her. Wish me luck!

~Mayako

Journal Entry 4

Wow, so much has happened today. I will begin with my exploits of last night. I managed to successfully sneak to Takeshi’s room with Shiatari (not without some annoyance from Sukime), but unfortunately Takeshi wasn’t asleep when I snuck into his room. He caught me red-handed and had me and Shiatari stuck in a difficult situation. Thank the gods he was an agreeable man and let us go under the condition that I must return the favor someday. I do not know what exactly this “favor” implies, but it was the only way we could resolve the situation. Not only did he stay silent about our scandalous behavior, he also gave us some more poetry lessons! Takeshi really is a nice guy. This morning we had the poetry and painting competitions. I was extremely nervous when I got up to recite my poem, but I managed to get it all out. The judges didn’t seem impressed but I don’t think they hated it either. Shiatari did really well. She must be more used to speaking in front of crowds than I. And of course, Takeshi did wonderful. The judges loved him. I noticed an interesting exchange between a member of the Dragon clan and a member of the Crane clan at the poetry recital. The Dragon, Mirumoto Rai, recited a very well written poem that sounded very much like a love poem. He kept glancing over at Doji Aiko (the Crane), who acted pleased by his passionate poem. No one else seemed to notice this, but I thought it was quite interesting. Especially since Doji Aiko is a married woman. I questioned Rai-san about his inspiration for his poem afterwards, and he acted suspiciously flustered. Anyway, the next competition was painting and I did really well at that. I painted a tree with falling leaves and the judges seemed genuinely impressed by it.

I took a look at the other paintings and noticed some odd details in a few. There was one samurai, a Crab whose name I can’t seem to remember, who painted a scene of Crab Clan samurai fighting at the Kaiu wall and if you looked closely, there was a sparrow’s nest in a tree behind them. Now, I might be overanalyzing this, but it seemed to symbolize that the sparrow was being protected by the Crab warriors. Could it mean that the Sparrow Clan and the Crab Clan have some sort of alliance? I don’t know if the symbolism is actually meant to be there or what exactly that means if it is, but it was an interesting detail nonetheless. Also, when I closely inspected Rai-san’s painting, I noticed a young woman hidden in the background that looked very much like Aiko-chan (surprise, surprise). I was quite certain at that point that something was going on between those two.

Moving on, later that night I noticed Rai-san and Aiko-chan leave the courtyard in the same direction at almost the same time. I felt the need to follow them and confirm my suspicions. After being spotted by Aiko-chan I made sure to be more careful while following (I need to practice my Ninjitsu some more) and spied on them making love. I wasn’t sure what to do now that I had such scandalous knowledge so I left without disturbing them. It didn’t take long after leaving them when I noticed a crowd forming at the opposite end of the hall. When I got there, I found out that Asako Shizu-Sama had been murdered. A Lion and Crab both testified that they had seen Rai-san leaving Shizu-sama’s chambers clothed in green. Everyone was quick to blame the poor Dragon who had actually been busy banging a married Crane. When he got there, he swore up and down that he was not responsible for Shizu-sama’s death but had no way to prove himself without revealing what he had really been doing. I couldn’t let the real killer get away with this despite my reluctance to make new enemies, so I vouched for his whereabouts by relating what I had seen. Of course, everyone was horrified and Rai-san almost confessed when that stupid Aiko had to swoop in and twist the truth. She convinced everyone that they had been discussing peace treaties between the Dragon and Phoenix clans and had to do so in secrecy. What a bunch of ****! I couldn’t believe that anyone actually believed her but there was nothing I could say to convince them otherwise. So, they got away with adultery and now I have two people that would stab me in the back the first chance they get.

Anyway, Mother put me and Shiatari in charge of investigating the murder. After looking around his room a bit, we deduced that he had been killed instantly and had had a piece of green cloth planted in his hand. It seemed that somebody was trying to frame a Dragon. We asked the witnesses about what they had seen and finally found a servant who had actually seen the culprit. Shiba Reikun-Sama was the murderer. I knew we had no time to lose so we immediately went to his chambers and barged in without warning. It was obvious he was hiding something by his nervous actions and furious shouts for us to leave. Shiatari sent Chop to get the karo and his guards while we stayed and made sure he didn’t do anything. Once they arrived, we asked Reikun-sama if we could search his room and now that the karo was here, there was no way he could deny our request. We found his bloody clothes and proved that he was in fact the murderer. Mother was so pleased with me! She actually said that I did a decent job! And she never gives out compliments! Ah but it has been a long day. I must get some rest since the rest of the competition is tomorrow.

~Mayako

Journal Entry 5

We had the dancing and tea ceremony competition today and I thought I did pretty well but apparently it wasn’t good enough. I didn’t win the contest. Shiatari won and I am happy for her, though I do harbor a bit of jealousy at her fortune. Mother would have been so happy if I had won. Oh well! There’s always next year, right? I was sad to say goodbye to Takeshi. I have enjoyed his company these last few days. He seemed excited to get back on the road though. He obviously loves traveling. As for good news though, Shiatari will continue to stay with us. I’m glad I get to keep at least one friend. We are returning home in a few hours and I am anxious to see Yuki again. I hope the servants have been feeding him properly.

~Mayako

Vanifae

First Post
Session 2: Painful Regrets – Part 1

19th of the Dragon, 1172 IC, Pale Oak Castle

“I’m bored,” Sukime whines as she sits in the large open chamber with her sisters.

Bayushi-san shrugs, “Quiet down, we can’t do anything till you mother is done, now be quiet.”

Sukime sighs waving her wooden sword about, “I’m tired of just sitting around, I want to do something!”

“Settle down, Sukime-chan, once mother is done we will be heading home, and not before. Now have patience,” Mayako adds, but the boredom was getting to her too. Two days had passed since the Tournament and all they had done was wait around and spend all day lounging about. The time was not very exciting and not all that entertaining either, she was beginning to day dream when she notices a low born servant enter the chamber.

“Lady Agasha-sama, your mother requests you and Bayushi-sama’s presence,” the servant bows.

The two samurai-ko leave immediately to see just what Ayame-sama needed of them. Hopefully this was a sign that they would be leaving soon. Ayame-sama focuses her attention on the papers arrayed before her, “I will need to stay a few days longer, you will go on ahead and take your sisters home. I will also need you to deliver a gift to Lady Shion; I planned to see her after our visit here. You may stay with her a few days, you can visit with Tetsuo, and you went to school with him I believe.”

“Of course mother,” Mayako bows.

“You leave in the morning. Dismissed,” her mother finishes and both samurai-ko leave.

Finally they were leaving; the journey home would be a welcome change to the boredom of lounging around the castle. There was little time to think of the time ahead a commotion in the main yard drew their attention. A guest had just arrived that caused quite the stir in the yard. His mon bore the heraldry of the Seppun family; he dismounts easily ignoring the servants and approaches the gathered sisters and the Scorpion bushi. The young samurai is handsome and bears an honorable manner, his daisho glimmer in the Spring evening sun.

“Cousin!” the Seppun samurai smiles, “It is so nice to see you, when does the Tournament begin?”

Mayako smiles, “It’s been over for a few days now, Nobutada. You missed the whole thing.”

“Really, I tried to get here as quickly as I was able. Is auntie here?” Nobutada replies.

Mayako smirks, “Yes she is, but she is a little busy at the moment.”

“Well I will try and speak with her as soon as I am able why don’t we go catch up,” the young Seppun bushi shrugs.

[I have another character to add who is also a shugenja so I decided to bolster their strength with another bushi. Seppun Nobutada is Mayako’s cousin on her mother’s side. He is a very honorable and idealistic individual with a deadly sword arm, though not as deadly Bayushi Shiatari. GM’s note]

20th of the Dragon, 1172 IC, Pale Oak Castle

The morning comes quickly; Nobutada accompanies the young samurai-ko astride his mighty steed. Bayushi-san receives a cold glance from the young Seppun heir, his trust in the Scorpion bushi low. Both Keiko and Sukime rest inside a wagon driven by a low born servant. Mayako leads the group out of Pale Oak Castle and along the road south to Sweet Plum Province. By mid afternoon gray clouds fill the sky and a slight drizzle fills the air. Nobutada shifts uncomfortably on his horse as the drizzle turns to outright rain; a Spring storm unleashes its fury on the traveling samurai.

By nightfall the group is soggy, wet, and miserable. They set up camp for the evening and try to keep warm as best they can a futile effort against the ravages of the storm. Nobutada glances at Shiatari with contempt, “So, Bayushi-san, you carry the blade like a warrior, have you been in many battles?”

“A few,” she replies dismissively.

“Tell me of one of your great battles, Bayushi-san,” the Seppun bushi inquires eyeing her carefully.

“I would rather let my blades speak for me,” the samurai-ko replies, “Perhaps you can entertain us with your war stories, Seppun-san.”

“I have seen battle, but my proudest moment was competing in the Topaz Championship, I did not win but I competed with honor and brought glory to the family name. Just as I am sure you did in the contest, Mayako-kun?” Nobutada smiles from under his rain hat.

Mayako blushes, “I didn’t actually win cousin, Shiatari did.”

“Oh… I am sure she won with honor,” Nobutada says dismissively.

Shiatari shrugs, “I did what was expected of me, nothing less.”

Nobutada lets the conversation go, his suspicions of the Bayushi bushi not yet abated but needing rest for another rainy and muddy day of travel. Rest was fitful for the samurai but sufficient if not overly enjoyable. Morning comes quickly and the storm has not abated, nerves are growing short and misery is high in the air.

21st of the Dragon, 1172 IC, South Road in Sweet Plum Province

The second day of rain and misery pours down on the beleaguered samurai. By nightfall the lights of North Border Village are visible flickering through the rain and trees that lined the South Road. Lightning flashes in the sky, briefly framing an over turned merchant’s cart, illuminating five figures in the darkness briefly. A flash of steel and a mortal cry breaks the constant drone of the storm.

The three young samurai dismount and advance forward suspecting the worse as the merchant’s guard falls in the rain. Blood, mud, and rain scattering all around the cart. The bandits, for what else could they be but bandits turned their focus on the fallen guard, perhaps oblivious of the approaching samurai.

Nobutada breaks the silence as he approaches, “Throw down your weapons in the name of the Empress!” His command turns the focus on the bandits on the samurai. A flash of lightning gives the samurai their first good look of the bandits and the sight chills both Mayako and Shiatari to the bone.

The flesh of these ruthless men was pale and discolored. Their heads lolled at odd angles, decay setting into the skin and tissue. They wore crude armor and wielded crude weapons, but the most disturbing element of all was their eyes… they glimmered with a foul light.

Nobutada steeled himself against the fear that shook his allies and raised his blade as the zombies lunged forward!

[This was our first combat of the game and it was pretty intense, more on that next time! Plus some suspicious characters and a mystery to be solved! – GM’s note]

Vanifae

First Post
Session 2: Painful Regrets – Part 2

21st of the Dragon, 1172 IC, South Road outside of North Border Village

[Combat was fun but Fear is a brutal and I had to do some hasty rulings to keep this encounter semi-fun for Mayako since she rolled super poorly for most of the combat or only had 1-2 dice to roll for her abilities. Both Shiatari and Nobutada performed well, although Shiatari ended this combat with the most damage taken out of the players. Overall I think we all enjoy the combat system. – GM’s note]

The zombies lurch forward driven by dark powers infesting their rotting bodies. Mayako stumbles in her spell casting shaken by the fear of these, but is able to coax the kami to create a strong blast of air that whips the undead creatures but fails to knock them down. The young shugenja can feel the presence of an ancestor watching her fight.

Shiatari leads the charge into the midst of the undead bandits her blade finding purchase in dead flesh, but the foul thing does not slow. Nobutada strikes at the same zombie hoping to cut it down but the terrible blow does not slow its advance. The creatures swarm about the two bushi one striking the Scorpion samurai-ko in her shoulder drawing blood and pain. The strike would have killed a lesser woman outright but the bushi focuses her will swallowing her fear and trusting in the guidance of her training.

Mayako stumbles once again through her casting and fails to unleash the awesome power of the kami; the cold rain does little to aid her mood. A male spectral voice chastises her, “No wonder you failed in winning the tournament, you can barely muster the skill to cast a simple spell!”

Mayako hisses, “Not now!”

[I was bringing in Mayako’s Haunted disadvantage, I still did not do as much as I would have liked but at least got it started. Hello Agasha Tenchi, may you make for interesting times. – GM’s note]

Shiatari slashes quickly with her ancestral blade but still the creature does not slow. Nobutada though turns his attention to another zombie and takes its head with a skillful strike. It drops into the bloody mud slick road with a thump. Mayako continues to fumble through her spell casting while Shiatari and Nobutada turn the tables on the undead cutting two more down quickly with skillful strikes. The assault is not without danger though as another bandit violently slams the Bayushi warrior in her ribs causing her to falter, blood filling her mouth.

Mayako focuses her will and break free of the fear gripping her; she knows that her allies are counting on her. She summons the will of Osano-wo from the skies and then knocks a zombie down with a well placed air spell. Nobutada finishes the final zombie with a downward strike and then turns Shiatari, “Are you alright, Bayushi-san?”

Shiatari nods as Mayako casts a water spell to ease her wounds, “Thank you.”

“I wonder where these creatures came from,” Nobutada ponders.

“If we were closer to the Kaiu Wall, I would say the Shadowlands; but obviously we are not,” Mayako replies thinking.

“No thanks to you Mayako-san, your display of skill brought nothing but shame to your great name,” her ancestor groans with sadness.

“Hush you, I did as well as I could,” Mayako replies to her ghostly ancestor, “I didn’t see you actually helping.”

“Such disrespect for your honored ancestor is unacceptable!” Agasha Tenchi-sama reprimands the shugenja.

Nobutada raises a brow as his cousin argues with unseen and unheard ancestor, “Well… perhaps we can discuss this once we are out of the rain. The village is not far.”

Shiatari turns her attentions to the merchant goods. The wagon was still usable and the beasts that were pulling it were in fine shape if a little shaken. She smirks; the goods could be taken as spoils. Her smile quickly turns to a frown when a thin spindly merchant crawls out from behind his goods, thankful that he is still alive and bowing graciously to the samurai that saved him.

Shiatari mutters under her breath, “What a waste.”

North Border Village is a cozy little place, although not very remarkable in the slightest. The Laughing Carp Teahouse sits on the outskirts of the village closest to the South Road; the warmth, shelter, and the smell of tea and food is far too much a comfort to pass it up in the midst of this spring storm. The interior is cozy and plain but clean and warm; the elderly owner greets the samurai with a bow showing them much honor and deference to their elevated stations. The kind and grateful words of the merchant help to give the small group a hero’s welcome, though he omits the details of the bandits being the walking dead.

Nobutada speaks, “I rarely stay in travel inns, are they always this plain?”

“Mind your manners, Seppun-san; it is warm and dry in here that is all we need,” Shiatari says quietly.

Sukime and Keiko are both thankful to be out of the wagon and in some place warm away from the rain. Mayako minds her sisters while listening to the variety of conversations in the room with a trained ear.

“Remember that sun-haired samurai that passed through here a few days ago? He was quite the fellow…” she hears on patron say.

Another patron mutters, “Good riddance to those Green Cap bandits!”

“Junko is lucky to be alive! She should be thankful that the young master came along when he did or those bastard bandits would have raped her for sure, or worse!” Another patron says between sips of tea.

[Although it isn’t said directly yet, Junko is the tea hostess, this will be important later on. – GM’s note]

The tea hostess, a young plain faced girl sees to the needs of the samurai and even provides a fresh book for Keiko to read, replacing one that was damaged from the rains.

Mayako smiles, “Oh that was quite nice of you.”

The tea hostess bows, “Think nothing of it great samurai, I cannot read and the book does me little good. I hope she enjoys it.”

Keiko replies softly, “Thank you.” She turns her attentions to reading the book.

Mayako smiles, though it fades as Sukime slams the table with her wooden sword spilling tea and plates. Mayako scowls “Clean this up Sukime! Right now!”

“I was just practicing,” her youngest sister replies.

“Oh please do not trouble yourself great samurai, I will clean this up. It is no trouble,” the tea hostess replies already cleaning the mess.

Mayako rolls her eyes, “She is going to be a spoiled brat before long.”

Sukime grins and continues playing or training as she calls it. Mayako turns her attention to the zombies from the road, “Do you think we should ask about them?”

Nobutada glances at the peasants, “I doubt mere peasants would know anything.”

“Peasants see more and know more than you think, Seppun-san,” Shiatari adds softly.

“I think we should tell them they may know something,” Mayako adds trying to take focus away from the building argument.

“I won’t stop you,” Shiatari replies taking a sip of her tea, “but I think we should speak with Lady Shion first.”

“As much as I hate to admit it cousin, I agree with the Scorpion,” Nobutada agrees.

“Hmm, fine it can wait till the morning; I am curious about one thing though. I overheard that the tea hostess had an encounter with Green Cap bandits, probably the same bandits that those zombies used to be,” the Phoenix shugenja ponders.

“Ask the peasant girl then,” Nobutada adds drinking his tea.

Mayako turns to the tea hostess, “Excuse me, Junko-san? Could you tell us about your encounter with the Green Cap bandits?”

“I… I would not wish to bore you with such a tale great samurai,” Junko replies looking downwards.

“No please, I would like to hear it, it sounds like quite the story,” Mayako encourages.

“Of course, Agasha-sama,” the tea hostess bows, “I… I was taking a walk. I enjoy the fire flies in spring. It was after dark and I should have not strayed far but they were so beautiful that night I lingered to watch. Three men came at me from the woods, I recognized them as Green Cap bandits and ran but they over powered me.” The young girl looks away in shame.

Nobutada speaks, “Then what happened, peasant?”

“I thought I was going to die or worse but the young master appeared, he must have been out riding… perhaps the Fortunes were smiling upon me but he chased the bandits off and saved my life. Truly the young master is a great man and I owe him much. I hear some of the bandits were caught later and hung, serves them right,” Junko finishes.

Shiatari dismisses the peasant girl and then speaks to Mayako, “Sounds like your old friend is quite the man now.”

Nobutada stands, “I have paid for our rooms; we should rest and see to Lady Shion first thing in the morning. I am sure she will want to know about those creatures we destroyed on the road.”

Mayako nods, “Hai, I think that is for the best.”

Remove ads