[Legend of the Five Rings 4th Ed] Angels of the Phoenix

Vanifae

First Post
Session 2: Painful Regrets – Part 3

22nd of the Dragon, 1172 IC, Residence of Isawa Shion aka Lady Shion

The morning air is cool but pleasant; the skies are overcast and gray but otherwise much more palatable then the storms of the past few days. Lady Shion’s home is a modest structure, much larger than any villager but a far cry from the wealth and power of Pale Oak Castle or Sweet Plum Castle. There is no army of servants; the trio of samurai counts perhaps twenty at best and another ten or so samurai on the grounds. Lady Shion receives them in a modest open chamber overlooking her garden. The older woman has a plump round face and a gentle if disarming smile. Her body is enveloped by a voluminous orange and red kimono; tea is served by her servants, the pleasant scent filling the chamber.

Mayako offers the gift, a beautiful mirror with a marble frame, “My mother wanted you to have this, Shion-sama. She is saddened she could not be here but there are pressing matters at Pale Oak Castle.”

“Shizu-sama’s murder,” Lady Shion replies, “A most terrible tragedy. But I cannot accept such a gift.”

Mayako recognizing the proper ritual replies, “It would be my families honor to give this simple gift to your family. In light of your late husband’s passing we wish to honor his memory with this humble gesture.”

“I could not; your family has always been good to us. Your kind words are enough, please confer the same to your mother,” Lady Shion declines.

“Your family’s loyalty should be rewarded, Shion-sama,” Mayako offers the mirror a third time, “You would honor us more so than you know.”

“You have my thanks, Agasha-san; we shall place this mirror in a place of honor. You do us much honor and distinction with this gift and on behalf of my family we thank you. We are eternally honored and grateful for your family’s generosity,” Lady Shion accepts the gift with a bow. She hands the mirror off to a servant.

Mayako bows glad to be done with the ritual, “Lady Shion we have a pressing matter that we should attend to first. Have you had any strange occurrences as of late within your fief?”

“No I assure you Agasha-san, nothing is out of order. Beyond the Green Cap bandits but my men have curtailed their attacks. They know the punishment for interfering in our affairs,” Lady Shion replies confident in her response.

“We encountered the walking dead last night just outside the village on the South Road,” Mayako responds sharply.

“We dispatched the terrible creatures, but we fear that there something foul may be happening within this fief. We will investigate the matter further… with your permission of course,” the last part added quickly as he realizes the possible insult to her honor and status.

Bayushi-san smirks staying silent, her wounds had healed in the night but she was still not at her best. Mayako continues, “Nobutada-san is correct if a bit brash, we would like to look into the matter further, on behalf of my father.”

Lady Shion nods shock in her eyes, “This is the first I am hearing of such things. Of course please investigate the matter further. I will have my guards increase their patrols and be more vigilant. If there is anything you require please just ask. Also, you are all welcome to stay at my home as long as needed; we have prepared guest chambers for all of you and the children. It would be our honor.”

“Thank you, Shion-sama,” Mayako bows.

“You are most welcome, but I must ask a favor of you, Agasha-san. I believe you are familiar with my son Tetsuo, his father recently passed in a skirmish with the Dragon on the border. I think he has taken his father’s death very hard and I can do little to change his mood. Perhaps a friendly face could achieve what I cannot? I am sorry to ask for such a favor but I only wish to see him happy once more,” Lady Shion looks downward, sadness in her eyes.

Mayako gulps, “Of… of course it would be no trouble.”

“Thank you,” she looks up with a simple smile, “I should attend to my duties then, if you need anything my servants will attend to them. I hope your investigation roots out this corruption quickly.”

The children are lead to their room and the three young samurai are left to consider their next move. Nobutada breaks the silence, “I am still troubled by the events from last night.”

“As am I, we should start our investigation in the village; it is possible the peasants may know something Shion-sama does not. At the very least they may have seen something worthwhile,” Shiatari finally speaks.

Nobutada seems dubious of the plan, “What could peasants possibly know?”

“They see more then you think Seppun-san,” she chides.

“I agree with Shiatari-san,” Mayako interjects, “we should start in the village but that does not help with my other problem. How do I approach Tetsuo-san without it being… awkward? I don’t just want to tell him that his mother asked me to spend time with him. It would not seem genuine.”

Shiatari nods, “Why not take him with us on the investigation, we could all spend time together and it would seem quite natural. It concerns his home as well.” The Scorpion bushi rises, “That would be what I would do. Simple and efficient. I am going to place my things in my room, call on me when you are ready to begin.”

Nobutada watches her go then speaks softly, “How well do you know this Scorpion, cousin? Do you really trust her?”

“Shiatari-san? I trust her, she is a good friend, cousin,” Mayako responds defensively.

“That is my point you trust her, but the Scorpion are not to be trusted. She is playing a game, they always are. I will be watching her, and if she shows any hint of betrayal I will end her,” Nobutada rises.

Mayako frowns, “I wish you would trust my judgment.”

Nobutada does not reply as he leaves.

The young shugenja frowns and orders a servant to take her to the young master. Isawa Tetsuo is seated in his chambers reading and writing. The shutters are pulled closed and a few candles are lit to provide light in the otherwise dark room. Mayako bows as she enters, “Greetings Tetsuo-san.”

Tetsuo looks up with surprise, “May… Mayako-san, I heard you were here this is quite the surprise.” The young master stands and bows, “Is your mother here?”

“No she could not make it, so we came on her behalf,” Mayako replies standing in the doorway nervously, “Your mother is a gracious host though and your home is wonderful.”

“You honor my family,” Tetsuo replies.

“I… I wish I could spend more time catching up but I have an investigation I must handle. My friends and I fought zombies on the road outside the village. I want to find out where they came from and remove the corruption before it worsens,” Mayako rambles out quickly.

Tetsuo’s eyes widen at the news, “How… how could such a thing happen way out here! Were you injured?”

“No, but my friends were, they should recover,” she turns and then stops. She glances over her shoulder, “Maybe you could assist us? You know this village better than we do. I would feel safer having you there.”

“Of course Mayako-san, let me summon my yojimbo,” the young master agrees.

The samurai leave for the village, making sure to have Sukime patrol the grounds of Lady Shion’s estate. The young girl was insistent of being useful and thankfully her eldest sister found her a job that would hopefully keep her out of trouble at least until they returned. The group of would be magistrates return to the road and find the bodies in various states of decomposition, some of the bodies having been drug to the side of the road by scavengers and the like. They carefully inspect the bodies without actually touching them and determine that these men were Green Cap bandits were hung until dead within the last week or two.

[Mayako makes a pretty high Medicine + Intelligence roll and is able to glean a great deal of information about the bodies. This provides them the first clue. – GM’s note]

The investigation continues at Laughing Carp Teahouse, with the samurai questioning the heimin present about the strange occurrences. They find little of use from speaking with the peasants but learn that four bandits were recently executed by an eta executioner named Knife. His ‘home’ is on the outskirts of the village closest to the gallows.

The samurai arrive at the eta’s home. Nobutada waits outside not daring to be in the presence of someone so unclean. Shiba Hiro, Tetsuo’s yojimbo waits outside as well taking up a kneeling a position as he meditates. Knife stands and bows to the samurai with a gruff anxious voice, “What can I do yah for, great samurai?”

Mayako speaks, “You executed four Green Cap bandits recently, what did you do with the bodies?”

“The Green Caps? Oh them bandits oh yes I reckon that was what about two weeks ago maybe. I remember them shaking and squealing when I done hung em’ good. Serves them right the bastards. I reckon I burned them I guess, what I normally do,” Knife replies.

“You don’t remember?” Shiatari frowns.

“Well I suppose… I mean I can recall getting the bodies ready to burn,” Knife says sheepishly.

Shiatari glances to Mayako and then contuse her questioning allowing her alluring beauty to work on the low-born peasant, “You can tell us, Knife, this is very important and no trouble will come to you. You have my word, this is quite important. I would be most pleased if you told us what happened.”

[Shiatari uses her Dangerous Beauty and Temptation skills to good effect here; she loses a point of honor for such a shameful display. – GM’s note]

Knife smiles at the thought of the Scorpion’s favor, “Well you are very pretty great samurai and if I ain’t going to get into trouble. It was late and I had the bodies all ready when Jun comes a calling you know. She fed me some wine and showed me a good time. I ain’t going to question why she was friendly like, she usually charges me double for the pleasure but it must have been my lucky day. Her hair smelled so good we did what men do to pretty women in the late night. I done passed out and when I came back in the morning the bodies was gone. I figure I done must have done my duty, but I can’t recall for sure.”

Mayako blushes at the story, “Thank you Knife that was very helpful. Where is this Jun?”

“She works out of the teahouse, they don’t let me in their often but she is usually there,” Knife responds gawking at the Bayushi beauty.

[This leads to a pretty humorous mix-up. – GM’s note]

The group quickly departs for the teahouse once more there are not as many people about at this time of day. A trio of travelers sits in a corner with conical straw hats obscuring their features. A courtesan sits alone in a shameful outfit, drinking sake and generally looking to find business at her earliest convenience. Junko the tea hostess greets the samurai with a bow.

Mayako speaks, “We need to speak with you in private.” The young tea hostess complies and follows the group into a separate chamber.

“Why did you bring Knife drink after the bandit executions?” Shiatari commands.

“I did no such thing,” Junko replies throwing herself at the feet of the samurai, “I swear!”

“But Knife said you brought him sake, and slept with him,” the Scorpion responds growing annoyed.

“I did not; I am a simple tea hostess great samurai. I swear,” Junko pleads.

“Jun we just need to know the truth,” Mayako adds with a softer tone.

“My name is not Jun great samurai, my name is Junko,” the hostess replies shaken.

[Mental note probably not a good idea to have characters named Jun and Junko in the same place, I blame myself for the mix-up. I did laugh though. – GM’s note]

The samurai glance at each other embarrassed at the identity mix up. They allow the hostess to leave and fetch Jun instead. Once again Nobutada and Shiba Hiro wait outside the room. Jun is a scandalous woman; she is pretty for a peasant with a curvaceous form and shameful clothing that shows much skin and temptation. She regards the samurai with indifference as she sits at a low table, “What do you want, noble samurai? It’s twenty bu upfront, and I don’t usually do women.”

Shiatari grins, “This isn’t a business call, peasant.” Despite her friend’s response Mayako blushes at the statement.

Mayako replies first, “Why did you bring Knife sake after the Green Cap bandit’s executions? Knife says you drugged him.”

“I was paid to do so, so I did it, I was told to bring him sake and make sure he had a good time, whatever happened after that is his business,” Jun replies flippantly.

“And did he?” Shiatari questions.

“I am very good at what I do, so what do you think?” the courtesan replies taking a sip of her sake.

“That does not explain why you drugged him,” Mayako replies with force.

“I had no idea the sake was drugged I just did what I was paid for,” Jun shrugs.

“Who paid you then?” Shiatari gestures, placing her hand on the hilt of her ancestral blade.

“You don’t need to threaten me, noble samurai. They didn’t pay for my loyalty, just my body. I don’t know he wore a mask, I met them outside the teahouse they brought the money and the sake. Told me to make sure Knife had a good time and left. I figured it was a good score and I was being well paid. It was business nothing more,” Jun waves her hand to emphasize her words.

“Anything else?” Mayako adds.

“Oh… well I guess I didn’t see his face but he had some kind of star like tattoo on his neck,” Jun responds with a shrug.

“Draw it for me,” Shiatari requests.

The courtesan shrugs and draws the tattoo as best as she could remember. The samurai let her go on with her business. The group goes about the village looking for the tattoo in question and continues their investigation but find no further information about this tattooed individual. Eventually as late afternoon sets in Tetsuo must return to the manor to see to his duties.

Mayako stops her childhood friend from going for a moment, “Tetsuo-san we should catch up tonight, and perhaps we can share some sake? I would really like that; it can be our little secret.”

Tetsuo nods, “I would like that, I will see you tonight then.”

As Tetsuo and his yojimbo depart Nobutada turns to Mayako, “You had best protect your womanhood; the honor of our families demands it.”

“What? I am just going to have a drink not sleep with him, cousin, stop being so… so…” she sighs in exasperation unable to find the words.

Shiatari simply grins but says nothing.

“I trust your judgment cousin. There is a more important matter we should discuss. I did not want to say anything earlier butt hat tattoo, I did see it. It was on the neck of Tetsuo’s yojimbo,” Nobutada finishes.

[I had them all roll Perception to notice it, and he was the only one. The plot thickens. – GM’s note]

Mayako gasps, “I see why you didn’t say anything. When I meet with Tetsuo-san tonight I will try and reveal this to him. I can’t believe that his yojimbo would betray him like this. Shameful.”

Shiatari seems distant, keeping her thoughts to herself.

Nobutada agrees, “Do what you think is best cousin but be careful.” With that the group returns to Lady Shion’s estate.

Vanifae

First Post
Session 2: Painful Regrets – Part 4

23rd of the Dragon, 1172 IC, Corrupted Shrine outside of North Border Village

Mayako coughs, spitting up a foul coppery substance. It is blood but thankfully not her own. Not so thankfully her face is lying down in a pool of the foul substance, her eyes are covered and she feels that her hands and legs are bound. She struggles against her bonds but find they do not give. She coughs once more and cries out, “Where am I, anyone there?”

“You just couldn’t leave this alone, you had to push me,” the voice shocks Mayako as she realizes what is happening.

Earlier…

Mayako laughs as the two young shugenja catch up on their days and nights at the Isawa Shugenja School. She takes a sip of her sake, “I don’t like to admit it but I miss those days. They were hard at times but they seem so much easier then… less pressure I suppose?”

Tetsuo nods, “I understand, when I returned home my father was so proud, but he expected so much from me. It was difficult to measure up, but I tried my best. And now he is gone…”

“I am sorry Tetsuo-san” putting her cup down, “I can see that you miss him very much.”

“One day when I am stronger I will make the Dragon pay for what they have taken from me. Honor demands it,” the young master sips at his cup.

“Vengeance begets more vengeance, Tetsuo-san,” Mayako replies looking away. She shifts uncomfortably in place trying to find the right words, “How does your mother feel about this?”

“She does not know how I truly feel,” he replies darkly.

“You should talk to her, I am sure she worries about you,” Mayako says accidently knocking her cup over. Tetsuo quickly reaches for it with his other hand, bandaged tightly. He quickly withdraws his hand after he replaces her cup.

“You should be more careful,” he tries to joke.

“What happened to your hand?” Mayako questions.

“I went riding, I was careless and fell and cut my hand on a rock. It was a rather foolish moment, I should have been more careful. Thankfully my yojimbo saw to my injury, it should heal in a few days,” Tetsuo shrugs.

Mayako frowns, “Yes… your yojimbo that was another matter I needed to talk to you about Tetsuo-san. It is kind of awkward though.”

“Go ahead.”

“Well the tattoo we were looking for, he has it, Nobutada-san saw it and I think he may be involved with these missing bandit corpses, the dark magic, everything in fact,” Mayako speaks softly trying to soften the blow of betrayal.

“Hiro-san? That is troubling. He has served my family for quite some time, he is one our most loyal retainers. He has been my yojimbo since I returned from school. This seems almost unbelievable, are you sure of this?” Tetsuo stammers quickly putting down his drink.

“I want to question him, we could do it together if you like but I want to be there to see with my own eyes,” Mayako requests.

“This seems a family matter now, I am sure I can handle it,” Tetsuo replies defensively.

“Be that as it may, my father is daimyo of this province. So I will speak to him with or without your consent,” Mayako commands with more iron then usual.

Tetsuo bows his head, “Of course, should we do this now?”

“Yes,” Mayako replies much softer now.

Meanwhile Nobutada and Shiatari sit in another room together watching Sukime practice while Keiko reads. Nobutada grumbles, “I hope she is okay, he better not try anything or Fortunes help him, I will have his head.”

Sukime pipes in, “What do you mean cousin?”

“Nothing,” Nobutada replies sourly.

Shiatari shrugs barely listening when she notices something out of the corner of her eye in the hallway. A fleeting shadow perhaps, curious nonetheless, she excuses herself and follows into the empty hallway. She pauses before she sees something move around the corner. She follows quickly and finds and empty chamber with a single man kneeling in the dark room.

The figure is a stately samurai warrior with a traditional topknot and a plain orange, though pale, kimono. His figure seems hazy and she can tell immediately that he is not physically present but some kind of shade or ghost. Despite her fear the Scorpion bushi reaches out to touch the man and he turns to her and utters a single phrase before fading from sight, “Save him…”

Shiatari glances around the room and see the daisho of Tetsuo’s father. She smiles to herself her suspicion seems to be confirmed for the moment. She quickly returns to the chamber and speaks to Nobutada who seems anxious to do something other than wait, “We should check on your cousin.”

“Why she said she could handle herself, I don’t want to upset her again,” the Seppun bushi grumbles.

“I am not so much worried about her but the young master,” she smiles enjoying the play on words, “it is late and I would hate to see him try to take advantage of Mayako. I think it’s only honorable to make sure nothing scandalous is taking place.”

Nobutada nods his eyes, “He better be keeping his hands to himself!” Nobutada stomps toward the young master’s chambers but finds it curiously empty. He turns to Shiatari, “Where is she?”

“I have been with you all evening, she obviously is not here, we should check the yojimbo’s quarters,” Shiatari shrugs. The two bushi check the other room and find it too was empty. They check the remainder of the estate and find there is no sign of Mayako, Tetsuo, or the yojimbo, Hiro. They return to the yojimbo’s room and search it thoroughly finding blood on the floor and a slight trail leading out of the room towards the stable. Two horses are missing.

Nobutada and Shiatari decide to mount a rescue. Luck seems to be on their side as Nobutada can follow the fresh tracks.

[Nobutada made an unskilled Hunting check and made the roll, he spent a Void point to make it a skilled roll and got some lucky exploding dice to beat a TN of 20. – GM’s note]

*****************************************************************************************************************

Shiba Hiro looks up with nonchalant grace as Tetsuo and Mayako enter his chambers. Mayako sits down across from Hiro and speaks, “This is not easy to say, so I will just get to the point, I need to see your neck, Hiro-san.”

Hiro furrows his brow and glances to Tetsuo, who nods. He does as directed and shows Mayako his neck revealing the star shaped tattoo. Mayako frowns, “Just as I feared, we will need to-”

She never finishes as Tetsuo slams a heavy vase into the back of her skull, knocking her out immediately.

[I ran both of these scenes with frequent cuts to keep the suspense going. When Mayako gets hit on the head I think I required an Earth roll or a Stamina roll not sure which but the TN was 20 and she failed. The next scene for her was actually the beginning of this segment with her face down in the pool of blood. – GM’s note]

Back to the Present…

Shiatari and Nobutada pick their way through the forest following the trail when Shiatari notices someone following the two bushi. She turns to see a small slim frame trying to hide behind a tree. The Scorpion bushi rolls her eyes, “Sukime why are you following us?”

Sukime pokes her head out, “I wanted to help.”

“Little cousin you should not be here, we need to take her back,” Nobutada commands.

“We don’t have time, they have Mayako-san and who knows what twisted things the young master will do to her. Bring her with us, if she wants to be a real samurai she might as well see what being a real one is like,” Shiatari shrugs.

“If harm comes to her you will have to answer to me,” Nobutada scowls, “come on little one.”

The trio continue through the woods and come upon a forgotten shrine; the structure is several centuries old with rooting wood and crumbling stone. A fresh door has been put up on the front of the structure where two horses wait along with the kneeling form of the Phoenix yojimbo.

The samurai forego stealth and approach the meditating yojimbo. Shiba Hiro speaks without looking up, “It would be for the best that you return to the estate and forget this place.”

Shiatari takes the lead, “Is Mayako inside?”

Nobutada raises a slight brow at the familiar tone but focuses on the task at hand. The yojimbo replies calmly, “She is alone with the young master. He made it clear he is not to be disturbed.”

“You won’t stop me,” Shiatari commands firmly.

Hiro stands, “I will do what honor demands.” The Phoenix yojimbo sighs heavily as if a great burden is slowly moving off his shoulders. He adds, “Do what you must Bayushi-san.”

“Show me your stance,” Shiatari challenges the yojimbo.

[Now typically a true ‘honorable’ challenge would have to go through the each of their lords. But what is samurai action without a duel to the death in the unlikeliest of places. This was our first Iaijutsu duel so it was it a little slow while I made sure we did it right. It was very cool and we found out that Shiatari is actually pretty good at these being a Bayushi bushi. – GM’s note]

The yojimbo nods and accepts the challenge. Nobutada backs up while Sukime watches with great interest. Both warriors slowly circle each other before settling into their stances and taking the measure of the other. Neither can discern anything about the other.

[Both warriors enter the Center stance, initiative is rolled and they both tie. Hiro rolled okay and Shiatari rolled poorly. Neither bushi succeeded in the Assessment phase. – GM’s note]

Shiatari though is well trained and spots several flaws in Hiro’s stance that she can exploit for victory. She smiles inwardly, victory was nearly assured; her strike would be fast like the Scorpion and equally as deadly. It may not kill him outright, but he would be crippled at the least. For his part Shiba Hiro makes his peace with his ancestors as he stares death down, he knew these would be his last moments.

[Shiatari rolls very well on her Focus roll, beating Hiro by about 15, which gives her two free raises on the Strike phase. This will end badly for Hiro. – GM’s note]

Shiatari strikes with the grace of her Ancestors the strike is masterful and nearly fatal. Even Nobutada is taken back by the power of the blow. Hiro grits his teeth as her blade cuts clean through his armor and chest; he stumbles making a clumsy strike of his own that fails to find purchase. No effort is wasted as Shiatari kills him with a final strike. Thus ends the life of Shiba Hiro.

[Needles to say Shiatari’s player was glad she invested points in Iaijutsu and now sees where she can improve. I think she likes the idea of being a duelist. – GM’s note]

Meanwhile just moments before inside the ruined shrine, Isawa Tetsuo focuses his ire on Mayako, “You just had to push me.”

“I swear I did not even suspect you Tetsuo-san. Why are you doing this?” Mayako cries still struggling against her bonds.

“You could not possibly understand you are too restricted by the laws of your Empire to see that you have been denied true power. But not me. I have seen through the fog of lies. No truth shall escape my notice; I will achieve a power far beyond anything you could possibly imagine. But you… you would try to stop me,” Tetsuo hisses.

“I can try, tell me,” Mayako bargains trying to buy time to come up with a plan.

“Maybe,” he calms for a moment, “I always liked you Mayako-san, and your family was always good to mine. Maybe… maybe you would understand? You could join me? When I achieve this power I will be greater than the Empress, I will create a new empire in my image. I will conquer death. The knowledge is so close; I will bring him back… I can bring my father back… my mother’s blood can bring him back. One sacrifice for one life. It is enough, it must be! This blood scroll has all the secrets, it has guided my hand!”

Mayako coughs, “What kind of sacrifice?”

“You cannot restore life without taking life, it’s so clear to me now. My mother will die but my father will live and he will see how powerful I have become. He will know that his son is the true Son of Heaven. I will rewrite the heavens in my image,” Tetsuo rips off the cloth covering her eyes.

“You would kill your own mother?” Mayako gasps.

“Sacrifices must be made,” he says gripping her by the hair, “But before I can achieve my noble goal I must dispose of you, unless you will join me?”

[Now we are all caught up, and we see once again that Shiatari is one deadly samurai. – GM’s note]

Nobutada kicks in the door at that exact moment! Tetsuo turns darkness swelling in his soul. The Seppun bushi charges across the room and attempts to maim the corrupted shugenja with a strike to his shoulder. His aim is true but the blow is not powerful enough to take the arm completely.

Shiatari follows quickly focused intently on the foul young master. She harnesses her connection to the Void, channeling her recent success into one supreme masterful strike. Her blade flashes quickly. For a moment all is still. She hears Mayako crying out for her to show mercy, but it is a distant echo in this stillness.

[I don’t quite remember the amount of damage that Shiatari did, it was in excess of 35 points of damage, and she spent a Void point on the damage for her katana. Between her and Nobutada they did nearly 60 points of damage in the first round. It was pretty much over. – GM’s note]

Tetsuo collapses in a spray of blood, nearly dead from the deadly assault.

Mayako shrieks, “Tetsuo!”

Nobutada frees the Phoenix shugenja and she quickly uses her magic to heal Tetsuo, keeping him from death but severely injured. Tetsuo gurgles, “What have I done?”

“Don’t say anything, just tell me where you got the scroll,” she bites back tears holding the young master.

“My yojimbo… is he-” Tetsuo coughs.

“Dead? He died as a man,” Shiatari quips, “I suppose it was an honorable death.”

Tetsuo closes his eyes, “My actions have shamed me, my family… to think I was going to kill my mother.”

“You can still make it right Tetsuo-san, where did you get the scroll?” Mayako asks once more.

“Junko… she gave it to me, she said… *cough* she said could not read but that it had been a gift to her mother. I thought nothing of it till she said… *cough* that it was rumored to return life to the dead,” Tetsuo grimaces blood trickling from his lips.

“Foolish,” Nobutada shakes his head.

“The peasant girl is playing a dangerous game,” Shiatari cleans her blade.

“We can make it right, we can take you back you can set things right,” Mayako pleads.

“No,” the young master coughs, “I have become a monster, and I can feel the darkness growing within me. It is too late for me. All I can do now is die with what little honor I have left. Who will be my second?”

There is a long silence. Shiatari glances at the doorway seeing Sukime peering in with shocked eyes. She smiles, “Well since your little sister seems so eager to be a samurai why not let her do it. It could be educational for her.”

Mayako shouts, “No! How can you suggest such a thing she is just a child. I will do it!” She kneels next to Tetsuo taking Nobutada’s blade, “I will do it.”

Tetsuo utters a hasty death poem and then plunges his wakizashi into his stomach. He complete the three cuts as Mayako screams and ends the life of young Isawa Tetsuo, beheading him. Mayako cries, “Rest well friend.”

[That was an intense scene that I felt was role played well by all involved. I am glad that one of the players took the responsibility to be the Second it made the death more meaningful I suppose. – GM’s note]

The samurai return to the estate with the scroll. They had to wrap it in something so as not to touch it, its very touch was a corrupting influence that begs one to read the blasphemies within. They are unsure of what to do with it, but decided that for the moment keeping it was the right choice, lest it fall into worse hands.

The samurai report to Lady Shion on the events of the night. Mayako still bears blood and worse all across her kimono and face; she did not want to clean it off to show the importance of the night’s events. Understandably Lady Shion breaks down, her family line is dead, her son is dead not more than a month after she lost her husband. What amount of on she has left is gone as she sobs before the young samurai.

“Swear to me you will find this Junko and kill her, swear it to me!” Shion-sama shrieks.

“I swear it to you,” Mayako nods comforting the elder samurai. The samurai then retire for the night ready to put the day behind them. Their sleep brings little comfort as terrible dreams haunt them, nightmares of a sinister nature that grip them till they wake. All of them believe that it must be influence of the scroll.

Nobutada folds his arms across his chest, “I say we burn it. Burn the village as well, who knows how far this corruption has spread. It is the most prudent course.”

“No! We are not going to murder innocents, I won’t allow it, and I know my father would not allow it,” Mayako rejects the notion.

“We need to find Junko, she is a key witness now,” Shiatari replies and the others follow suit.

The teahouse is not busy; three strangers sit in the corner while Jun tries her best to get one of their attention for some easy business. The owner does his best to make the samurai feel welcome. The trio look for Junko but she is nowhere to be found and any inquiry about her returns quizzical looks as no one has heard of the girl or even know who the samurai are talking about.

Finally the group leaves and seeks out the eta, Knife. Knife is sitting outside his place of ‘business’ and greets the samurai, “Good morning great samurai, what can ol’ Knife do yah for?”

“Do you remember, Junko?” Mayako asks cautiously.

“Of course I do, pretty little thing works at the teahouse. At least prettier then the old lady that cooks the food, and her hair smells real nice too. You know great samurai your hair smells real good as well… real good,” Knife grins missing a few teeth.

“Thank you,” Mayako replies nervously, “what can you tell me about her? When did she show up in the village?”

“Not much to say she kept to herself, worked hard at the teahouse. She showed up maybe two months back, nice little girl, not as pretty as Jun mind you but she had real nice hair, short though. She lived at the teahouse, good worker, did something happen to her?” Knife asks.

“You have a real hair fetish,” Mayako comments.

“What’s a fetish?” Knife quips.

“Never mind. Junko is missing and we are just trying to find her. Thank you for your time,” she replies.

Knife nods with a leering smile.

[I liked Knife, he was a fun off the cuff NPC. - GM's note]

The trio step outside to discuss their next move when a sudden shock rolls over Mayako, “The BOOK!”

“What book?” Nobutada asks.

“The book Junko gave my sister!” Mayako goes nearly white.

“We better hurry back then,” Shiatari adds as they head back to the estate.

[That was humorous as they finally realized that for the past two days her little sister has been busy reading the book that Junko gave her pretty much non-stop. Sometimes I do enjoy being an evil GM. – GM’s note]

The samurai return to the estate and quickly make an excuse to take the book from Keiko. They examine it, but it does not have the palpable evil that the scroll does. It does have some kind of cipher or code in it butt hey cannot make it out. They give the book to Lady Shion and she is able to make out the cipher after several hours. One could call it a primer in the dark arts with no actual spells. Now they had two reasons to find Junko but with her trail vanishing the mystery will have to linger on for another day.

It was a somber end to their visit, but the samurai decide to press on to Sweet Plum Castle. There was little else they could do and the events turned out to be much more physically and emotionally draining then they had realized.

Keiko unhappy with losing her new book fills her spare time with writing.

Vanifae

First Post
[Mayako's journal, another interesting read from Mayako's perspective! - GM's note]

Journal Entry 6

Well so much for going home anytime soon! We’ve been delayed for four days now and I think I might kill myself because of the boredom!!! We’re still here at Pale Oak Castle because Mother had to take care of the situation since Asako Shizu-Sama was murdered. She’s so busy she finally just told us to go on ahead of her. I’m glad to go back home but I feel sorry for my mother since she has to take care of so much. We leave in the morning. Oh! I almost forgot to mention that Nobutada showed up at the castle today. He came for the tournament hahaha!! My dear cousin is late as always. He’s coming back to Sweet Plum Castle with us. I can’t tell if I’m happy or not about this. I am always happy to see my cousin, but he’s a bit snobby. He’s very high class and acts the part in every way. It gets on my nerves sometimes and I can already tell that he and Shiatari are not going to get along. Oh well! What am I going to do? Mother told him to join us and I can’t shame her by telling Nobutada to mind his own business. I guess I will just have to make the best of it.

~Mayako

Journal Entry 7

Oh I am so miserable!! I try not to be the delicate little princess that complains at every discomfort but this is just awful! We’ve been traveling all day through the rain and I’m completely soaked to the bone. We had to make camp on the side of the road and I’m just so filthy and cold. And to make matters worse, Shiatari and Nobutada won’t stop bickering. I knew this would happen but it doesn’t make it any less annoying. We should reach Lady Shion’s village tomorrow to drop off the gift and I cannot wait for it!

~Mayako

Journal Entry 8

Well we managed to reach the village. But of course, not without some difficulty. Luck seems to really hate me lately. We had almost made it to the village when we came across an overturned merchant’s cart that was being robbed by bandits. We ran to the merchant’s aid but were horrified by what we found. The bandits were actually zombies!! I had never seen anything so awful in all of my life. I had heard stories of the walking dead but had never actually seen one. I might have been prepared if I had known that that’s what we were up against but the complete horrified surprise that I felt when I realized what we were fighting froze me to the spot. Shiatari and Nobutada managed to shake their fear and fight with annoying ease and I was ashamed by my uselessness. It was if all my training had never happened. I tried countless times to perform a spell but I couldn’t focus and they kept failing. It even got so bad that I began to hear the voice of Tenchi again. He only speaks to me at the most dire of times. I have to admit it has been a long time since I heard his voice so it was somewhat of a comfort, though he was still as annoying as always. I managed to focus finally near the end of the fight and pulled off a few spells. I still was a shameful excuse for a shugenja. Shiatari got hurt pretty bad so I used my water spell to heal her though it’s still going to take a few days before she heals completely. I was at least helpful in some way. Anyway, we decided to stay the night at the village to rest up before seeing Lady Shion. I’m so happy to have a warm bed tonight! It will be a wonderful change from the cold, hard ground I’ve been sleeping on the last few days.

~Mayako

Journal Entry 9

Ugh, I can hardly stay awake, but I need to write what has happened today. It’s been a terrible day. It started with us visiting Lady Shion to give her the gift from Mother. I asked her about why there might be zombies roaming her lands but she had absolutely no idea. I didn’t think Father would like me to leave such a troubling situation behind when there might be clues that could disappear in a few days, so I requested Lady Shion’s permission to investigate. In return for her permission, she asked me to spend some time with her son Tetsuo. Tetsuo was an old friend that I went to school with so I was excited to see him, but the situation was awkward. His mother wanted me to cheer him up because he had been really depressed about his father’s recent death. A bit more than just depressed actually but I didn’t know this until later. Shiatari suggested that I invite him to come along with us on the investigation so that seemed like the best reason to talk to him without it being super obvious that his mother had asked me to speak with him. Seeing him brought back nostalgic feelings of simpler times. He had been a good friend and I hated to see him like this. I could immediately see the sadness in his handsome features. It was in every line of his face. He seemed surprised to see me though I couldn’t tell if he was as happy to see me as I was to see him. He agreed to help us and brought his yojimbo.

We first went back to the bodies of the zombies and I deduced that they had been dead for less than two weeks and that they had first died by being hung. We also realized by their green clothing that they were the Green Cap Bandits that had been executed a week before for attacking a young girl that worked at the tea shop. We questioned the executioner about what he did with the bodies after they were dead and he finally told us (after some obvious flirtation from Shiatari….ugh that guy was so gross) that he had been drugged by a prostitute the night they were executed. He didn’t know what had happened to the bodies. So, needless to say, we questioned the prostitute who told us she had been paid to do it by a masked man with a star tattoo on his neck. We looked all over the village but no one fit the description and Tetsuo eventually went home. When he left, Nobutada whispered to us that he saw the tattoo on the neck of Tetsuo’s yojimbo. Of course I was horrified, immediately suspecting his yojimbo of betrayal. I was such a fool.

I had asked Tetsuo earlier to join me for a drink that night so we could catch up. I planned to ask him about it then. We were having a really good time just talking about when we were young and I was tempted not to even bring it up. I finally did though, and naturally he acted surprised. Since I suspected the yojimbo was responsible for everything, I asked Tetsuo to let me question him tonight before he had a chance to escape. He agreed and when we went to his room, Tetsuo promptly broke a vase over my head knocking me unconscious. When I woke, I was blindfolded and tied up in a pool of some foul liquid that was mixed with blood. With my head pounding and the taste of this liquid in my mouth, I thought I might throw up, but Tetsuo’s voice caused me to focus. He was angry with me, saying that I had pushed him too far. He kept going on and on about how he had acquired some power that would make him invincible and that no one was going to stop him. Hearing this just made me feel worse. I was so foolish to have ignored the possibility that he might be responsible for the zombies. I have always felt that I was a very perceptive person and could tell someone’s true intentions, but I had let my previous friendship with him cloud my judgment. And I was now paying the price for that mistake.

He told me that he was going to bring his father back to life by killing his mother. I tried to plead with him but he was beyond listening. He was a mad man. He took off my blindfold and I saw that I was in some cave-like shrine with a floor covered in dead bodies that I could only assume were Tetsuo’s test subjects. He was trying to get me to join him when we heard fighting outside. Tetsuo cursed and rose to see what was going on but he was too late. My allies were quick and ruthless. They burst through the door and chopped him down before he could say a word. I screamed for them to cut my bonds and as soon as they did I used my water spell to heal him before he died. I couldn’t let him die without knowing who was responsible for corrupting him. He told me that he had been given this scroll that gave him power by the tea girl he had saved from the bandits. I tried to get him to come back with us but it was no use. He wanted to die. He decided to perform seppuku and I acted as his second. It was not easy for me to do but I thought it was only proper since I was his friend. Nobutada wasn’t volunteering and Shiatari was too busy making jokes about making Sukime do it. That girl can be a bitch sometimes. So, I acted as his second and Tetsuo’s life was finished. We returned to the manor to deliver the news to Lady Shion and now I’m here documenting the worst day of my life.

~Mayako

Journal Entry 10

Something very strange is going on. This morning we went to the village to question the tea girl but she was nowhere to be found and the people at the tea house acted like they had never even heard of her even though she had supposedly been working there for a couple of months. We questioned the executioner again and he at least remembered her but he offered little information that could help us. We were walking around wondering what to do next when I suddenly remembered the book. The first night we had stayed in the village, the tea girl had given a book to my sister Keiko. I thought nothing of it then, but now seeing the power of the scroll we kept in our protective care, I had no idea what horrors that book could be performing on my sister at that very moment. We rushed back to the manor and I practically tore the book out of Keiko’s grasp. She was upset to have her book taken from her but otherwise seemed no worse for wear. We examined it closely but found nothing too out of the ordinary about it. I noticed that that calligraphy seemed to have some type of code in the writing but I couldn’t decipher it in any way. We asked Lady Shion to help us and she complied with what little composure she had left. Poor Lady Shion was so upset when she heard of her son’s death. She threw herself on the ground at the news and began to sob. I tried to comfort her but there was little I could tell her besides a few stories of the spirit realm that always seemed to cheer my sisters up.

I can’t imagine the pain she must be feeling to lose both her husband and son in such a short time. She managed to decipher the code and it was apparent that the book held some instructions in dark magic but nothing Keiko could have understood. I still worry about her though. I’m going to have to keep a close eye on her. Other than that though, there wasn’t anything else useful. We currently have no leads on where the tea girl is or what her motives might have been. I keep feeling like there is dark cloud gathering over our land, holding some nameless enemy that is working hard to destroy what little peace we have left. I might just be paranoid, but I think the events at the tournament and the tragedy that has happened here are connected. I don’t know why I feel this way or what evidence might spawn such feelings, but I do feel it nonetheless. These are dark times. We are about to head back to Sweet Plum Castle. We can’t think of any other investigating we could do while in this village, so we decided to head home so I could discuss the situation with Father. It’s quite possible that he already knows what’s going on.

~Mayako

Vanifae

First Post
Letter to Shiatari

Shiatari,

Word has reached me that you won the Tournament of Samurai hosted by the Phoenix. Excellent, my daughter you are showing yourself to be your father’s daughter. Your fortunes may be shifting; your surprising display of competence has brought some interest to the family. I expect that you have fulfilled your duties to Agasha-sama with distinction. Enough with the pleasantries though, I bring interesting news. I have sources that have alerted me to a possible alliance between some Dragon families the Mantis Clan. Tread lightly my daughter, this little conflict may become much larger then I had anticipated. Oh and I hear you crossed tongues with Doji Aiko-sama, you should handle this threat sooner than later my daughter.

- Bayushi Kenshin

Letter to Mayako

Dearest Agasha Mayako-sama,

I hope this letter finds you well, I wanted to convey my congratulations once more for your performance at the Tournament of Samurai. Although you did not win, you performed admirably to which I am sure your mother was quite pleased. Surely you should be commended for your participation and for your part in solving the murder of Shizu-sama. I wanted to gift you this token of my appreciation in your efforts, this umbrella was once the property of Doji Chizuko, a famed and beautiful woman who was well regarded for her mastery of calligraphy and song. Since you so enjoy speaking your mind so eloquently I believe it a fitting gift.

I did want to take a moment to thank you for your subtle yet appropriate actions with Mirumoto-san; truly your wisdom knows no bounds. Wise men say that youth know little of truth, your words and actions would shame such sages. Such wisdom should be rewarded; I am saddened to say that at this moment I have no gift worthy of your actions yet. But I am sure with time I will devise something appropriate and meaningful my dearest friend. I do hope to see you again; thinking of you warms my heart gladly. I only hope I can repay your actions tenfold, you certainly deserve no less. Fortunes are with you my dearest friend.

Thinking of you,

Doji Aiko

I actually printed these off and handed these to the players, the second one to Mayako was how I introduced our newest player the Crane shugenja, Hana to the group.

Last edited:

Vanifae

First Post
Session 3: Flowers, Puppies, and Swords – Part 1

27th of the Dragon, 1172 IC, Sweet Plum Castle

Asahina Hana took in the splendor and beauty of Sweet Plum Castle, large structure that could house thousands of people. The massive front gates with the large golden phoenix astride it were a testament to the power of the daimyo and his clan. Agasha Kosuke was a powerful figure within the Phoenix; known both as the Great War Bird and the Great Strategist, and it was in his court she would serve fulfilling a long standing obligation of her family to the great Phoenix lord.

The Crane delegation was greeted with all the pomp and grace the Phoenix daimyo could spare and afford. Hana clutched the gift she had been entrusted with by Doji Aiko-sama; hopefully it would make a good impression on her new lord and his daughter. The grand hall was filled with Phoenix samurai, servants, and a Scorpion bushi that stood out amidst the sea of orange and yellow.

At the end of the hall sat the mighty presence of Kosuke-sama, his graceful wife at his side, their children seated quietly and dutifully. Asahina No, head of the Crane delegation greeted the Great Strategist and then made his introductions on behalf of his clansmen and then finished with Hana. He turned ever so slightly to her, “And finally, Kosuke-sama I would like to introduce to you Asahina Hana-san, her talents in ikebana rival my own I assure you. She is a talented shugenja like your daughter, for whom she has brought a gift.”

Hana presented the gift to Mayako, “I would like for you accept this gift Agasha-san.” A beautiful blue and white umbrella with graceful cranes in flight. The Phoenix court rumbled with hushed whispers at the beauty of the gift.

Mayako refused of course, “Oh please I could not possibly accept this.”

“It would honor me and my family greatly,” Hana replied offering the gift once more, playing the game.

“It is far too much Asahina-san, I could not possibly accept this,” Mayako refused once more.

“There is no one more worthy than you,” Hana smiled offering the gift a final time.

“You humble me,” Mayako accepted the umbrella and accompanied letter. With the ritual done the lesser ranking samurai were dismissed and left t their own devices. The younger samurai retreated to another large chamber with bountiful food and refreshments with a discerning lack of authority allowing them to converse and share stories.

[Asahina Hana is a new player we added this session. Her character is probably the most sensible and honorable of the players. This session will see an introduction of several new characters, relationships, and covers a bunch of ground. It was a whirlwind session and I was glad to have a new player to add a new dynamic. It also gave me a chance to add some depth to Nobutada. – GM’s Note]

The room was filled with chatter and pleasant conversation that filled the gathered young samurai with interest. Mayako was approached by a bumbling Crane musician, Kakita Toshoe, an annoying and a personal space invading imbecile. He cornered Mayako and dogged her until she convinced him that a nap would be a good thing and finally extricated herself.

Mayako reads her letter from Doji Aiko-sama with a knowing smirk; it was polite and well mannered. She glanced around the chamber settling on the Crane guests trying to put some of the darker moments of the last few days out of her mind. The death of Tetsuo still lingered and the news that Lady Shion had hung herself only darkened her mood further. She glanced to her adopted sister, Yoko; she had been promoted and would take Lady Shion’s position at North Border Village. Yoko was an impressive figure, standing nearly a head taller than others, plain faced but muscular in build and still womanly in shape she was very intimidating due to her Hida blood.

Mayako was interrupted from her revelry by a gentle nudge from the young Crane, Hana, “Did you notice that?”

“Notice what?” Mayako replied without paying much attention.

[I had the players roll Courtier + Awareness to notice some romantic intentions, everyone failed except Hana. I will admit this session saw more romantic subplots than the previous sessions combined, it was fun having all the young samurai around. – GM’s note]

Hana smiled, “You know…”

“No I don’t really know,” Mayako replied giving Hana her full attention, “What are you talking about?”

Hana gestured to Yoko who was trying very hard to not to stare at a handsome, downright beautiful, Crane duelist, “I think Jin-san has caught the eye of your friend.”

Mayako smiled knowingly and turned to her sister, “Yoko-chan what do you think of that Crane duelist?”

Yoko gulped looking away her cheeks going crimson, “Nothing.”

“Does not look like nothing,” Mayako grinned, “maybe you should talk to him?”

Yoko tried to respond as another Phoenix bushi, a newcomer to the castle introduced herself to Jin and offered him a large bowl of fresh strawberries. The young Phoenix was named Shiba Yuuka and had arrived to become yojimbo to Mayako’s mother. Yuuka was a slim athletic beauty whose mastery of weaponry was respected by her peers. She was genteel and sophisticated, well liked and equally adept in court as she was on the battlefield. Her gift was received by the Crane duelist and the young Crane samurai in general. It was rumored that she even had the favor of Lady Ayame, Mayako’s mother. Mayako hated her on sight.

[Yuuka was a new character I wanted to bring in that would hopefully prove to be a rival for Mayako within her own clan and a rival for her mother’s affections. It worked perfectly. – GM’s note]

Mayako hissed, “Oh don’t worry about her, we should get over there immediately.”

“You think so?” Yoko turned her knees weakening from fear.

“I know so I have a plan,” Mayako responded as she led her larger sister towards the gathered throng of samurai. The Phoenix shugenja smiled at Jin, “Greetings Doji-san, I hope you are enjoying yourself.”

“Oh immensely Agasha-san, your father is much too kind. Yuuka-san has given us this wonderful basket of strawberries, would you like to have some?” Jin replied smoothly causing Yoko to blush.

Yuuka smiled, “Lady Mayako, a pleasure as always.”

Mayako nodded, “Likewise, oh by the way Yuuka-san, I heard my mother was calling for you.”

Yuuka frowned, “Oh, I… I will see to her immediately.” The Phoenix yojimbo leaves quickly to tend to her mistress.

Yoko smiled and spoke softly, “Hi.”

Jin smiled back, “Greetings, please forgive me I don’t know your name.”

“Agasha Yoko, Mayako-chan is my little sister,” Yoko replied meekly.

Mayako interjected, “Jin could you tell us of your skill, perhaps a story of your adventures?”

“I suppose I could but my skill is not so great as all that. I participated in the Topaz Championship; I faced your cousin, Seppun Nobutada-san. I beat him in a duel actually, but he performed quite well. I did not win overall though. But I performed with honor,” Jin recounted.

Mayako smiled, “Maybe you could show Yoko-chan some of your techniques?”

“Well I suppose, though she seems quite large and menacing all on her own,” Jin replied offhandedly.

Yoko turned and fled the room quickly at the careless words. Jin glanced at Mayako his face red with embarrassment. Jin finally responded, “Did I say something wrong?”

“Yeah, you did, maybe you should go apologize?” Mayako suggested. Jin nodded and followed Yoko out of the room. Mayako sighed shaking her head at the whole situation but was glad to be helping in some kind of capacity.

Meanwhile Hana was approached by Nobutada. The young Seppun bushi smiled awkwardly, “Hi, I… I’m Seppun Nobutada.”

Hana bowed, “Nice to meet you, I’m Asahina Hana.”

Nobutada replied, “Bye.” He then turned and walked away. Mayako smirked as Nobutada repeated this little dance a few times before she intervened. Her advice fell on eager ears as Nobutada tried to impress Hana with his bloody swordsmanship failing miserably. Her squeamishness only seems to spur on his pursuit of the young Crane maiden. Thanks to Mayako’s encouragement the young bushi leaves to find beautiful flowers to impress Hana. Overall the young samurai enjoy the time away from the more refined elder samurai.

“By the way thank you for wasting my time, Mayako-san,” Yuuka replied bitterly as she entered the room.

Mayako smirked, “I swear I heard her, I apologize. I must have been mistaken.”

[Overall it was a light way to start the game off and gave the players a chance to get to know the new character in a fun organic way. Plus I love interjecting some romance into the game. I am a sucker for love. – GM’s note]

Vanifae

First Post
Session 3: Flowers, Puppies, and Swords – Part 2

3rd of the Serpent, 1172 IC, Sweet Plum Castle

The last few days were a whirlwind for the young samurai, Hana adapted quite quickly to her new surroundings while also trying to avoid the clumsy romantic advances of Nobutada. Mayako tried to avoid Kakita Toshoe while spending time with her sisters and friends, and Shiatari stayed out of sight mostly and most people gave her a wide berth due to her clan and her rumored skills. Mayako was sad to see her sister leave for North Border Village and begin her new post as the village magistrate. She was happy that her meddling had ended with Yoko and Jin finding love at Yuuka’s expense. Her younger sisters had left the castle as well for school, Keiko leaving to learn the arts of the shugenja and Sukime off to train as a bushi.

After the Crane delegation left Kosuke-sama gave the young samurai a task of great importance. With the threat of war looming the Dragon had sent a delegation to talk peace, but the delegation never arrived and the Phoenix daimyo suspected foul play was involved. He commanded his daughter and allies to escort the Imperial delegation of Otomo Hokaru from South Border Village to Sweet Plum Castle. Kosuke-sama was worried about what continued problems and conflict would spell for the province and his clan. It was the reason he sent his youngest daughters to train far away from any battle lines. Battle and bloodshed sadden his heart but he is no coward, he was preparing hi forces for war if it came to that. A reluctance that sadly was not echoed by many samurai warriors, all too eager in his eyes to kill or be killed.

Now the four young samurai were heading south to meet the delegation, the day was hot but not overbearing. Two days on the road, thankfully it had not rained and the group was in good spirits. Nobutada turned to Hana trying to impress her with his skill in battle and his affluence. Mayako ignored him turning her focus to the road, anxious to be done with this task. It was then that she noticed a figure approaching in the distance, a stumbling traveler. The man was dressed poorly and clutched a package collapsing at the feet of the mounted samurai.

Nobutada frowned, “Stupid peasants.”

Mayako glanced at him with a scowl, “How can you be so cold?”

“Cold? It is just a peasant, ignore it and move on we have more important concerns, cousin,” Nobutada shrugged looking for support from Shiatari or Hana.

Hana dismounted, “We should check to see if he is okay before we move on.”

Mayako nodded checking the bruised and battered peasant over. He was suffering from thirst and starvation, “He should be fine with some food and water.”

[I had her roll an Intelligence + Medicine roll TN 10, and she rolled a 30+ so she was easily able to determine that the man suffered from no permanent damage. – GM’s note]

Shiatari focused on the package, unwrapping it carefully revealing the chop of Otomo Hokaru and a crude letter written by Green Cap Bandit leader named Mutogi. The letter was brief but was insistent that 400 koku be delivered to the gang in exchange for the Otomo noble by the fifth of the Serpent or they would behead him. She read the letter out loud and then tucked the chop away. The group noticed smoke in the distance; Mayako knew that it was in the direction of the small village Kanto. The group quickly devised a plan and gave the peasant Mayako’s horse for reinforcements while they checked out the source of the smoke.

They moved through the woods and came to the edge of the village; hearing sounds of fighting and witnessing a Phoenix bushi get cut down by two Green Cap bandits. The group dismounted and tried to sneak upon the bandits but Hana was too focused on doing it perfectly to realize that she was spotted by the two bandits. Nobutada seeing his ‘love’ in danger leapt to her defense while Mayako and Shiatari stayed hidden.

[Hana has the disadvantage of Consumed by Perfection and thus must make at least one raise on all rolls. It is pretty brutal at times but one I will have to make sure I remember from here on out. – GM’s note]

The bandits charged towards Nobutada and Hana, but Shiatari was the first strike a blow striking from the shadows her blade was swift and nearly killed the first bandit outright. Her ancestors smiled at her lethal stroke as Nobutada’s blade slices deep into the second bandit both going all out in their respective attacks! Mayako called upon the air kami and threw both bandits to the ground with great force while Hana summoned the water kami to grant great fortune upon Nobutada!

[Hana used Reversal of Fortune on Nobutada, which would save his life in a moment and Mayako used Tempest of Air. I tried to play up stances more this combat, the Bandits were surprised this round and did not act. – GM’s note]

The bandits retaliated quickly landing a blow that looked for a moment to be mortal against Nobutada but was thankfully less gruesome than it appeared. The water kami blessing turning fate to his favor. Shiatari easily cut down her opponent and the remaining bandit submits.

Nobutada raised his blade to the bandit’s throat, “I say we kill him for even daring to strike a samurai.”

Mayako refused, “We need information, cousin. Let’s take him into the woods for now.”

“We could just torture the brute,” Shiatari adds.

Hana followed unnerved by the casual brutality of her allies. The bandit cried, “Please great samurai think of my children… I… will never do anything like this again!”

Mayako responded, “Who leads this group?”

“Mutogi… he is our leader, I swear it, I would never lie!” the bandit pleaded.

“How many are in your group?” Shiatari asked.

“Twenty, maybe twenty-five?” the wretched man groveled.

“So few?” Shiatari questioned. She turned to Mayako, “I say he is lying. Torture him to be sure.”

“I swear… I…” the bandit looked for an opening and tried to flee but Nobutada cut him down without another thought. He cleaned his blade and sheathed his ancestral katana.

“That was pointless,” Mayako groaned.

“What did you expect from a low-born criminal,” Nobutada replied. The group turned to the village and saw two more bandits investigating around the area where their fallen comrade still lie. The samurai once again tried to sneak into the village unseen but the bandits easily see Nobutada and Hana approaching and move to attack.

The battle was quick and very one-sided although it was at this moment that Mayako decided to utilize her blowgun from a hidden vantage point and display another shameful skill. Where the young Phoenix shugenja learned such distasteful arts is unknown but her ancestors must weep at her reliance on them.

[Mayako utilized Ninjitsu, I will need to remember to give her the Dark Secret disadvantage for such nasty training and I winged the poison damage. I will be more thorough in the future but I seem some interesting stories down the road. – GM’s note]

The bandits saw their fortunes turning retreat and the village went silent. The samurai were ready for more when the village defenders arrived; a sun haired samurai, a Shiba bushi, and eight peasants brave enough to use what weapons they had to fight. Mayako smiled instantly recognizing her friend from the Tournament of Samurai, Takeshi. Takeshi’s shirt was torn and bloody bandages covered his wounded side and an arrow was still stuck in his shoulder. A shocked smile spread across his face as he approached surprised at seeing his friends.

“Mayako, Shiatari; you are both a sight for sore eyes, what are you doing way out here?” Takeshi replied sheathing his blade. He glanced at his ‘forces, “I wish it was under better circumstances, but I’m happy to see you.”

“Yeah me too, are you okay, do you need healing?” Mayako responded offering her skills.

“Don’t worry about me, there are others that need your help more then I. Yobata-san take two of the men and make sure none of the bandits are about. Kando-san see to your people and the defenses. They will be back,” the Sparrow clan bushi commanded.

The young Shiba bushi and the eldest peasant warrior both nodded and responded with, “Hai!” in near unison. Takeshi had garnered much respect from these simple folks. The Sparrow warrior turned to his friends, “I had no idea that Kosuke-dono sent us reinforcements or even knew what was going on.”

“No one knows,” Shiatari responded, “it was pure chance that we just happened to be in the area.”

“Well not yet, but we sent a messenger, my father will send warriors but it will take a few days,” Mayako added. She blushed slightly remembering an odd she received when she first returned to the castle from Lady Shion’s estate. It was a simple haiku that read:

“Midnight hour comes,
Gentle steps, sweet voices rise,
Dawn please never come.”

Nobutada gave Takeshi a dismissive glance, “I am impressed that a mere Sparrow clan bushi could hold off so many bandits. Your clan is not known for their fighting skill.”

“We get by, though you are correct Seppun-san, we are not as great or as skilled the Greater Clans or the Imperial families for that matter. You honor me with your kind words,” Takeshi responded gracefully. He paused for a moment then added, “Perhaps we can join forces?”

Shiatari declined, “We have our own task Takeshi-san. But it may help you out anyway we need to find the lair of the bandits and find Otomo Hokaru and deliver him to Kosuke-dono.”

Hana agreed, “I would love to help as much as I can though.”

Mayako blurted out, “Takeshi did you write me this poem?” She held up the note with the haiku neatly written on it.

All the samurai turned their eyes to the letter and then to the Sparrow bushi. He grinned nervously, “Umm... well… I mean. Well I didn’t want to make it a big deal but yes, yes I did. I hope you enjoyed it?”

Mayako smiled, “I did very much so.”

Nobutada frowned, “We should get going I can follow their tracks easy enough.”

Takeshi smiled, “Good luck my friends, Fortunes be with you.”

The samurai follow the tracks and after an hour or so of tracking come upon an old traveler’s inn along some forgotten trail. Upwards of twenty Green Cap Gang bandits milled about outside licking their wounds, drinking, and generally being loud undisciplined miscreants. The samurai kept to the shadows of the trees and the orange pink glow of the setting sun. Six horses were tied to a post outside the forgotten inn and seemed restless.

Mayako turned to her allies, “I am going to sneak around and see if I can find out where Otomo-sama is. Wait here I should be back shortly.”

“Are you sure about this,” Shiatari responded dubiously.

“What could go wrong?” Mayako joked.

“I don’t like this idea, cousin,” Nobutada added.

“It seems rather crazy,” Hana agreed quite bluntly.

Mayako shrugged and crept towards the rear of the inn. She had thankfully avoided the undisciplined sentries and was about to slide the rear door open when it opened of it’s own accord. Standing in the doorway was a large rough-looking ronin with wild fiery red hair, a green bandanna about his head, and a big toothy grin on his face. Over his shoulder was a sheathed no-dachi.

[Mayako failed her Stealth + Agility rolled by 1 and so I had Mutogi catch her at the door. It made for a humorous scene overall. – GM’s note]

The red haired ronin laughed upon seeing the Phoenix shugenja, “Seems like entertainment has arrived!”

Mayako gulped, “Umm, hi?”

“Well little girl, since you came all this way, why not share a drink with me,” his grin grew as he glared down at her.

“Sure,” Mayako agreed and followed the ronin inside.

The interior of the inn was in a poor state and the bandits had done little to improve the deteriorating structure. She followed the ronin towards the back and passed by an open door, inside was a bound and gagged samurai, the wayward Otomo delegate. Two bandits sat outside his room as guards. At the end of the hall was the room this ronin had taken for himself, a crude table stood with a jug of sake and some cheap cups sitting upon it.

The ronin sat, “have a seat, what’s your name pretty one?”

Mayako thought quickly and replied, “Chizuku, yours?”

“Mutogi, now have a drink with me Chizuku,” he grinned.

“I would love to,” Mayako raised a cup and took a solid draught.

Mutogi chortled heartily, “I love a woman that can take her drink. Now as much as I enjoy prompt delivery, you were supposed to deliver the money to the crossroads. With that said, where is my money?”

Mayako gulped, “Well we have it of course, but we wanted to make sure that Otomo Hokaru-sama was still alive.”

“He lives for now,” Mutogi replied, “without the money I can’t guarantee he will stay that way.”

“Why does such a tough man like yourself even need so much money?” Mayako asked.

“I don’t have a fancy name or clan to back me, money is what a man needs to get the things he needs to make himself more powerful in this world. I can buy more weapons to kill more of my enemies, it’s certainly nothing personal,” Mutogi responded confidently.

“Oh, how shallow. Violence is such a simple goal, don’t you have higher aspirations?” Mayako inquired.

Meanwhile sitting in a rafter above the chamber was Shiatari. The stealthy bushi had snuck in after Mayako got ‘captured’ and taken a position above the room listening to much of the conversation hidden from view. Outside the inn Hana invoked the water kami to grant Nobutada great fortune and then the Seppun bushi took aim with his bow and tried an impressive if daring shot to cut all the ropes holding the bandit’s horses in one shot. Guided by his ancestors and the water kami the arrow struck true and freed the beasts causing them to bolt in several directions. The bandits scrambled to chase down the steeds raising an alarm all through the inn.

Mutogi stood and growled, “I knew I should have just killed you!” He started to draw his blade when Shiatari dropped down on the unsuspecting ronin and severed his arm clean off at the shoulder. Mutogi screamed, clutching at what used to be his limb collapsing to the ground and dying in short order. The ancestors of the Bayushi bushi were pleased by the swiftness and deadliness of her blade.

Guards rushed the room but seeing their leader dead and the Bayushi demon standing over his still warm corpse their resolve folded. The bandits were routed; none were willing to further risk their lives for nothing.

[Fun victory for them; there was good role playing, good rolls and impressive skill demonstrated by the group. Nobutada barely pulled off his shot thankfully Hana used Reversal of Fortune once more on him and he rolled a 30+ succeeding at his shot. Shiatari rolled excellently pretty much on all her rolls and spent a void point on the damage doing upwards of 50+ damage on her attack, her dice exploded very well. It was a solid victory for them! This was probably the most combat we have had in a single session. – GM’s note]

Vanifae

First Post
Session 3: Flowers, Puppies, and Swords – Part 3

5th of the Serpent, 1172 IC, Sweet Plum Castle

The ride back to Sweet Plum Castle would have been a whirlwind but it seemed to take forever. Otomo Hokaru complained about every moment of the trip and was quite insistent to shove his rank and status down the throats of the young samurai making many demands of them to aid in his comfort. Not to say he was not thankful, quite the opposite with his lavish pronouncements of praise sandwiched between verbose complaints and certain amount of entitlement. But being an Otomo meant that he was entitled to a great many things in the Emerald Empire and the heroic samurai suffered in silence making sure he was pleased all the way back to Sweet Plum Castle.

Kosuke-dono was surprised to see his agents back so soon and although dismayed at the news of the fate of the Imperial delegation he was glad that Otomo Hokaru survived. His forces were marshalling for battle a small detachment had already left to see to the safety of Kanto. Even with the Imperial delegation dispatched his scouts had reported that a detachment of Dragon forces were on the march to South Border Fortress.

Suzume Takeshi, several Phoenix bushi and an elderly peasant arrived two days later. Kosuke-dono held a feast that evening with both Otomo Hokaru and Suzume Takeshi as his honored guests. There is much pageantry and splendor given to the affair.

Kosuke-dono presents a toast to Takeshi, “Suzume-dono, you came to the defense of our people with no concern for yourself. There is no gift I can give that can equal your bravery, no words I can spare that can match your honor. You are a true honored servant of the Divine Empress.”

Takeshi bowed his head amidst murmurs of the gathered samurai, “Oh please Kosuke-dono you give me too much credit. I only did what any samurai would do. The true thanks should be given to Headman Kando-sama; it was his people that bore the most sacrifices.”

“Indeed it is, Kando-san step forward,” the daimyo commanded.

Headman Kando stepped forward and bowed deeply touching his head to the floor. He was an older man well into his forties with graying hair and a firm stout build. He wore his best clothes but they were still quite humble compared to the other gathered samurai.

“Kando-san it is within my power to reward you for your service and sacrifice,” Kosuke-dono stood, “from this moment onward your family shall be honored with land, status, and obligation befitting a true scion of the Phoenix clan. You and your family shall be samurai from this day forward,” Kosuke-dono proclaimed.

The hall was speechless, as they watched the peasant become samurai right before their eyes. Kando had tears in his eyes as he replied, “This is too great an honor Agasha-dono, and we are simple folk we are not worthy such things.”

“It is done, rise Shiba Kando, Magistrate of Kanto,” Kosuke-dono smiled at his newest retainer.

Shiba Kando rose and bowed, “You have my loyalty and the loyalty of my family until our deaths.” The new samurai returned to his seat shock still brimming in his eyes, shock that resonated with most of the hall as well at the proclamation.

Takeshi turned to the Phoenix Daimyo, “Agasha-dono you are quite generous and wise, and Shiba Kando-san is a good man.”

“Please Suzume-dono you honor me too much, you are the heir of the Sparrow Clan Champion,” Kosuke replied with a mirthful smile, “Your words and recommendations carry much weight and authority in my hall.” A great silence falls over the hall and Mayako blinked in surprise as well.

[So yes to put this in perspective Kosuke-dono is Status 6.0 while Takeshi is about 6.5 or so. This will actually play a large role from here on out on how he is treated and such since he is the heir to the Sparrow Clan Champion, something he was trying to hide until now. – GM’s note]

Takeshi sighed, “Well thank you Agasha-sama.” He turned and smiled awkwardly at his friends but said nothing. The evening continued without any more surprises. By the end of the feast the Phoenix daimyo dismissed his court and held council with his samurai agents and Takeshi. He debriefed his samurai on their journey and then assigned them new duties as his retainers prepared for war. The waning sunlight peered through the windows and lit the room in a muted orange and pinkish light.

Kosuke-dono sat in his chamber with his four young samurai agents, “Otomo-sama is very pleased with his rescue. You have my gratitude as well; your quick thinking and skill preserved the honor of my family and the clan.”

Mayako bowed her head, “Thank you father.”

Nobutada added, “You honor us revered uncle.”

“We still have more pressing details to attend to though; I am marshalling my retainers and then marching to South Border Fortress to defend our lands. My wife will remain here with a modest force to keep the peace and continue to persecute these Green Cap bandits,” Kosuke-dono replied with a heavy sigh.

“Battle! Revered uncle give the word and my sword arm is yours,” Nobutada replied filled with vigor and excitement.

The Phoenix daimyo sighed, “Nephew you will have ample opportunity to prove your worth in battle I assure you.” He turned to Hana, “Hana-san I want you to remain with the reserves I promised your family I would see to your well being. But I do think that you could use some experience with battle.”

Hana nodded, “Hai, Kosuke-dono.”

“Do not worry Hana-san, I will protect you from danger,” Nobutada smiled oblivious to Hana rolling her eyes.

“Shiatari-san your skills have made you quite popular, your sword arm is welcome wherever you think it best,” Kosuke-dono replied.

Shiatari nodded but said nothing.

Mayako spoke up, “What about me father?”

“It’s time that you learn to defend these lands that may one day be yours. I want you to use caution though, fortunes know your mother would kill me if great harm came to you but I have absolute faith that you will do our name proud,” her father replied with a paternal smile.

“Thank you father,” Mayako nodded.

“Takeshi-dono you will stay close to me, this is not your battle but given your slippery nature I would keep you close to me,” Kosuke-dono glanced to the minor clan champion heir.

“Of course Kosuke-sama,” Takeshi replied.

“Then you are all dismissed, relax we leave once my forces are fully marshaled,” Kosuke-dono commanded.

The younger samurai gathered in another smaller chamber away from prying eyes, although six Phoenix bushi assigned to escort Takeshi waited outside the room. Nobutada approached Hana, “So you will get to see my magnificent sword play in action, every man I kill in the battle I shall dedicate to you, Hana-san.”

Hana tried to think of a way to be polite and just nodded, “Thank… you.”

Mayako shook her head at her cousin and then turned to Takeshi, “So Clan Champion why the big secret?”

“There isn’t much to tell, my father is the Clan Champion of the Sparrow Clan and I am his named heir. I really don’t like to mention it unless I have to, it tends to bring unneeded attention that I don’t want,” Takeshi replied gesturing to his escort.

Shiatari smirked, “So you just travel around writing your book, someone like you should have an official escort.”

“I did, actually, I may have misplaced them in the City of Lies. I told them I was retiring for the night and then I slipped out without them all the wiser. I am sure they are still frantically searching for me,” Takeshi joked.

“They may just think you are dead,” Shiatari responded.

“Maybe, anything is possible but I don’t really keep a low profile which is I why I tend to stay on the move. Being the sun-haired samurai does have some downsides,” Takeshi smiled.

“You are a peculiar individual Takeshi-dono,” Hana remarked.

“Oh please don’t dono me, I am just Takeshi to my friends. Speaking of which have they told you how we all become friends in the first place?” Takeshi grinned glancing at Shiatari and Mayako.

Mayako waved her arms, “I don’t think they need to hear this story.”

“Well it was back at the Tournament of Samurai, I had met them earlier in the day and I had retired for the evening. I was pretty tired so I went to bed to get some good rest to be prepared for the poetry contest in the morning, poetry is a specialty of mine, you see,” Takeshi glanced at Mayako.

Shiatari sighed, “Indeed.”

“Well unknown to me these two beautiful maidens decide to steal my work,” Takeshi laughed.

Mayako interjected, “We were not going to steal it, just borrow them!”

“Okay they crept to my room to borrow my works. Now normally I sleep dead to the world, but I heard furtive whispers outside my chamber, then my door opened and a lithe figure crept into my chambers. Now I thought Benten had blessed me, but sadly it was not to be. I confronted Mayako, the consummate borrower and then Shiatari joined us. Now I am a man of honor and I did not take advantage of them, but I was tempted,” Takeshi teased.

Nobutada seethed but stayed silent.

“Thankfully I was in a jovial mood and we all became the best of friends from that moment onward,” Takeshi finished. The samurai laughed and enjoyed their evening before retiring.

In the morning Shiatari received a challenge from a Dragon bushi, Mirumoto Rai, the samurai she met at the Tournament of Samurai. The duel was to be to first blood to prove his worth as a samurai and warrior and perhaps to avenge the rumors that he was a weak willed person since the debacle at the tournament. Shiatari sought permission from Kosuke-dono and was given it quite easily since the duel was not to the death and she would have time to recover if she suffered injury before the battle.

[This was an off the cuff decision, I wanted to bring Mirumoto Rai back without having it be too confrontational. Also I felt that Shiatari was being less active than normal so I wanted to put her in the spotlight. It turned out well and only served to grow her burgeoning legend. – GM’s note]

By noon Sweet Rice Village was packed with samurai waiting to see the duel between the Dragon bushi and the local hero, Bayushi Shiatari. The two warriors met on a bridge, the sky was clear of clouds and the sun was beaming down brightly. It was a hot day and yet both were dressed for battle.

Rai bowed to his opponent, “It is honor to face you once again Bayushi Shiatari-san.”

“Get on with it,” Shiatari retorted.

“Very well then, show me your stance,” Rai replied as both samurai began taking the measure of the other. The gathered crowd was silent eager to see two skilled samurai duel.

[Shiatari won the initiative for the duel and both bushi failed their Assessment rolls. – GM’s note]

Neither samurai could discern weakness in the other as they entered the focus phase of their duel. A songbird landed on the bridge and briefly chirped mingling with the sound of rushing water from the stream beneath the bridge.

[I remembered this time to count the bonus you get for entering Center Stance, still neither samurai won the focus phase and thus a Kharmic strike was made. – GM’s note]

Both bushi struck quickly their blade flashing in the same instant. Rai is unlucky and his blade is unable to draw blood. Shiatari though is guided by her ancestors and her blade draws a neat line of blood just under Rai’s right eye. The young scorpion smiled, “Well done Rai-san, it was an honor.”

Rai bowed and then left having satisfied his challenge.

[The only thing that saved Shiatari was her bonus to her TN for having a higher initiative, she won narrowly once more. Thus ensuring she would have to endure more challenges in the future to be sure. – GM’s note]

Meanwhile Hana played with her new puppy that was delivered outside her chambers with a note that read, “A precious gift for one that is most precious to me.” She showed her newfound companion to friends and even let the little puppy play with Mayako’s pet peacock, Yuki. It was a relaxing day before the group would set out for war and bloodshed on the morrow.

Mayako spoke with her mother while her friends watched the pets play. She approached slowly before speaking, “Mother do you have a moment?”

“Of course child,” her mother replied softly.

“I wanted to discuss something I saw at the Tournament of Samurai. There was a painting there by a Crab that depicted them defending horrors on their great wall. But behind the wall I spotted a sparrow nest being protected by their sacrifices. Does that imply some special relationship they have with the Sparrow clan?” Mayako asked.

“Very perceptive Mayako, though I am surprised to hear of such sophistication from a Crab but these things happen I suppose. The sparrow could represent the Sparrow clan; their lands border both theirs and the Crane as well. But my guess would be that the sparrow represents the fragility of the empire and how the Crab thinks of their bushi as the wall that defends fragile existence of the Emerald Empire. I am impressed that you spotted such an interesting detail,” her mother remarked with little emotion.

“Thank you mother.”

“Why the sudden interest in the Sparrow, don’t tell me you are taken by that dashing sun-haired samurai,” her mother replied coolly.

“Takeshi?” Mayako paused, “Just wondering, he is a good friend.”

Her mother raised a slight brow at the familiarity in her tone and words, “Takeshi-dono is quite the catch, even for a minor clansman. The heir of a Clan Champion is a powerful figure and I am not blind, child. I see the way he looks at you; such an alliance could be useful. Though I am still unsure if we should pursue it or not. In any case you should keep him as a close ally, your father favors him greatly,” her mother replied while gracefully fanning herself.

“Mother! I am not talking about marriage I mean I like him; he has been a good friend to me. I was just wondering about the painting that’s all,” Mayako stammered.

“Well if you need more information that what I have provided speak with Yuuka-san she is very well versed on these issues,” her mother suggested.

Mayako frowned at the name, “No thank you, I think I understand much better now.”

[Mayako really does not like Yuuka at all. – GM’s note]

Kosuke-dono and his retainers set out for South Border Fortress on the following day in a great precession of orange, yellow, and fiery red. His banner flying high as the samurai marched to battle. The Great Strategist rode at the vanguard of his host his daughter and favored retainers following him, including Suzume Takeshi and his Phoenix bushi escort. Four days on the road before they reached South Border Fortress, a large structure devoid of any pageantry or aesthetic appeal, it was built for war and battle.

The commander of the fortress, Shiba Gouda greeted the daimyo and his honored entourage. Gouda was a rigid looking man, bald with a face that marred by some great accident, the skin looked stretched on one side and taut giving his face a cruel almost monstrous visage. He was very welcoming and leered at the women far too long than was appropriate, though only the women seemed to notice.

[Gouda basically looks like Gouda from the second season of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, which may give you some insight into his character. I like him through his brief introduction and unique voice I gave him, he was fairly creepy and made an impact on the players, or well I hope he did. – GM’s note]

Gouda and Kosuke-dono retreat inside with the daimyo’s top advisors to speak on the battle in the coming morning. There is great excitement and anticipation among the Great Strategists’ forces as the young samurai prepare for the battle.

[I tried out the Mass Battle rules, I liked and disliked them, I will need to have more time with them I suppose but it seemed pretty deadly which I guess is the point. Just something I will have to keep in mind for the future. I think I was more excited to try them out than the player’s were. – GM’s note]

12th of the Serpent, 1172 IC, Fields outside South Border Fortress

The early morning sun fought bravely with the mist that covered much of the battle field. The forces of the Dragon were arrayed before the Phoenix forces of the Great Strategist. Strangely their general was a ronin, a ronin the samurai had met at the Tournament, Natsuko. The strange choice for the Dragon to give a ronin bushi such power gave Kosuke-dono some pause. He was not eager to begin the bloodshed but now that the moment was upon him he would do his duty and see to the protection of his lands at all costs. He met briefly with the enemy general before returning to his forces. She was a monster in her heavy armor, with spider accents in the design she looked more a demon than a woman. Her hardened mask bore a terrible monstrous visage that would have sent chills down the back of lesser men.

Kosuke-dono took his place; he glanced at Suzume-dono in full battle array with his bushi escort and then commenced the battle. With a wave of his tessen he unleashed his forces and the Battle of South Border Fortress began!

[I had the players roll for Kosuke-dono he rolled 10k5 and had an Emphasis in mass Combat which made him pretty decent at warfare. He won every round of the mass combat easily compared to the less experienced Natsuko. Nobutada began the mass combat as heavily engaged, both Mayako and Shiatari were engaged, and Hana was in the Reserves. – GM’s note]

As the forces clashed Nobutada charged into the fray eager to garner glory for his name and family. Mayako and Shiatari were more cautions but equally engaged in the thick of combat. Mayako’s magic kept her safe as Shiatari cut down soldiers with skill suffering injury from the chaos of combat. Suddenly the battle lines cleared and both samurai could see Nobutada leading a charge into the enemy general’s cohorts shattering the defensive line! But Nobutada was cut down from his horse by Natsuko and the ronin prepared to finish off the Seppun warrior.

Hana from her vantage point spotted her allies and moved to aid them knowing that it would take some time before she could do anything and hoping she could make in time.

Natsuko raised her blade as Shiatari charged, “We meet again!” Shiatari swung her blade quickly but the strike was cast aside by the ronin leaving Shiatari wide open for a return strike that cut down the Scorpion bushi with ease. Mayako called upon the air kami knock her opponent down but the warrior was far to determined to allow the gods of air to move her.

Natsuko goaded Mayako, “Is that the best you can do Mayako-chan?”

Hana was still some distance away but called upon the water kami to give Mayako good luck, it seemed her newfound friend would need it. Bursting from the battle lines a plainly dressed Phoenix bushi drew blood from the ronin as he shouted, “Mayako get Nobutada and Shiatari out of here!”

Mayako was shocked to hear Takeshi’s voice, “Takeshi I won’t leave you here alone!” She would not flee, not now; she called upon the fire kami and created a flaming whip that cracked with the fury of the heavens!

Takeshi and Natsuko crossed blades to little avail neither finding a true advantage. Mayako took the opportunity to strike with her flaming whip, drawing upon the void and her ancestors to guide her hand. The blow knocked Natsuko’s mask from her face and left a flaming scar across the once beautiful samurai-ko’s face. It was then that the battle lines surged, the Dragon forces were being routed and Natsuko took that moment to flee. Here eyes met Mayako’s; this personal war was far from over. She tended to her allies who were both alive but severely wounded by the ronin bushi.

Kosuke-dono surveyed the battlefield; it stank of death, charred flesh, and worse. His forces had won the day but the dead on both sides spoke of a greater failure in his eyes. He glanced with a knowing smile as Takeshi-dono rejoined the escort he had assigned to the troublesome youth. He admired the young man’s spirit even if it did give his retainers great consternation. If he had had a son he would have hoped the man could have been as brave as Takeshi-dono. The smile came to his lips and faded as he turned to the wounded and dead. The Great Strategist had won the battle but the war… the war he felt was just beginning.

[Overall a fun session we covered a bunch of ground and I was able to introduce a bunch of characters and hopefully flesh some more out much more fully then I had. I like the direction Yuuka, Takeshi, and especially Kosuke are going. It was also great to have a new player with Hana on board. Next session will resume the hunt for Junko the tea girl. – GM’s note]

Last edited:

Vanifae

First Post
Character Gallery

Below is a collection of some of the best images I or the players could find to depict their characters. They have a definite anime feel given my players this is to be expected. To get a larger picture just click on the picture. Enjoy :)

Agasha Mayako

Agasha Ayame

Keiko

Sukime

Agasha Yoko

Seppun Nobutada

Suzume Takeshi

Shiba Yuuka

Natsuko

Junko

Doji Aiko

This is not my artwork and I am only using it for my game, so don't sue me. :)

Vanifae

First Post
Letter from Hana to her Parents

Dearest father and mother,

I am writing to you mainly to inform you that the Phoenix clan is engaged in battle with the Dragon Clan. Although, I’m certain that you will know of the battle before my letter reaches you. I did also want to inform you that I have been instructed to stay in the Reserves by the general. I did, however, view the opposing general, Natsuko, as Agasha Mayako weilded a whip which tore Natsuko’s mask off. The general escaped, but I believe Mayako and her companions should be greatly commended for their efforts. Mayako’s companions are very interesting. She has a friend who is actually a member of the Scorpion clan. Her name is Bayushi Shiatari. I’m unsure of how Mayako befriended her, but she is an admirable duelist and she single-handedly slayed Mutogi, the leader of the Green Cap Bandits. Mayako also has a friend often referred to as the “Sun-haired Samurai.” He is Suzume Takeshi, the son of the leader of the Sparrow Clan. Also, her cousin, Seppun Nobutada, accompanies Mayako on her trips. He is a great warrior. I have witnessed him shoot a single arrow through multiple ropes tethering horses which created a distraction aiding Mayako and Shiatari in defeating the Green Cap Bandits’ leader. I am continuing my training in ikebana, but after viewing Mayako’s ability in medicine, I believe I would like to improve my healing capabilities.
Sincerely,

Your daughter, Asahina Hana

Excerpts from Asahina Hana's Journal

Today, I met the family with whom I am staying. They seem very nice. I presented the eldest daughter with a gift and letter from Doji Aiko. The eldest daughter appears to have befriended a member of the Scorpion clan so I am uneasy. Mayako made the mistake of speaking to Kakita Toshoe even after I encouraged her not to talk to him, however, she dealt with him in her own way. I will be attentive and try to keep Mayako out of trouble. Mayako’s cousin, Seppun Nobutada seems to have a problem speaking to women and he really enjoys rice balls. Many girls fawned over Jin today… he is quite the duelist; however, he is quite oblivious to his affect on women. Especially Phoenix women it appears.
-Hana

The gardeners appear to have left a rather large basket of flowers needing to be planted outside my door. They must have forgotten that I am staying in a guest room. I shall speak with them later today. If they would like help, I can try. I do need to train in ikebana and there appears to be an excess of flowers at the castle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apparently, Seppun Nobutada left the flowers for me. I am unsure of his intentions.

-Hana

Shiatari has not been causing any trouble thus far. Shiatari defeated the Green Cap Bandits’ leader, Mutogi, today. I did not wish to see the remnants of his body, but Nobutada assures that Shiatari slived Mutogi in half. I do not know if I should believe him as he declares he struck through at least seven ropes tying the Bandits’ horses when there were only four. We have freed the captured Imperial clan member we are supposed to be escorting. We arrived before the reinforcements left and received a rather pleasant welcoming. We also met Suzume Takeshi at a nearby village and Mayako appears to be quite taken with him. I am becoming quite frustrated with my lack of ability in hiding… although the others can be sneaky, it appears I cannot. I must not be light-footed enough. I may work on this.

-Hana

Suzume Takeshi is actually the son of the leader of the Sparrow Clan! Mayako denies that he is more than a good friend. Either way, Mayako must realize that a union between them would mean a union between families and much more status for her.

-Hana

Today, I was instructed to stay in the reserves during the battle between Phoenix clan and the Dragon clan. I did not obey these orders and I’m sure General Agasha Kosuke did not notice. I cannot imagine what would happen if he told my parents. I know that it is not correct to disobey orders, but I witnessed my friend, Nobutada, about to be killed by General Natsuko. I think I made the right choice. I was too far to do much, but I did make it in time to aid Mayako while she battled General Natsuko and while she healed Shiatari and Nobutada. I now have a dog that I named Sayuri [Author’s Note: Chihiro actually means “a thousand questions” whereas Sayuri means “little lily” and I actually have a dog named Lily so I thought it was fitting]. I believe that Nobutada gave me Sayuri in order to court me. I am unsure of what my parents would think so I am keeping a distance. I wish to start studying medicine again. Mayako proved to be skilled in medicine as she healed the others. I wanted to help with this, but I know that I must continue studying as my work needs to be perfect. As it appears, I have almost made it an entire month without a mishap. I hope that this continues.

-Hana

Remove ads