• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Legend of Zelda inspired campaign

Azurewraith

Explorer
Depends dont ever base an encounter on a video game it just dont translate well and is awful to play through talking from experience here but basing the story on it should be fine unless your players know the story.

mellored

Legend
Seems easy enough. Make some zelda monsters, possibly some zelda races.
Make some dungeons loaded with switches and keys.
Make a bunch of magic items you need to trigger the switch.
Make invulnerable chickens.
And ban teleportation.

gamefreak180

First Post
killer chickens is a must
and definitely not going to go the same encounters it is more of a draw inspiration from for the story which all my players already know. I also know i am not allowed to have a water temple at all.

not sure about the races/monsters but the bosses definitely i would just have to get really good at building monsters may even give an obvious weakness that if the players notice they can exploit

what items if any do you guys think should be ported for magic items?

should it be medallions, crystals, pendants, rings, pearls or fragments that the party should dungeon to collect to help kill the big bad guy?

mellored

Legend
what items if any do you guys think should be ported for magic items?
I was thinking more about boomerang, rafts, special arrows, mirror shield, and hookshots, bombs, roc feather (jumping), lodestone boots, special seeds (usable with sling), ect..

Probably a master sword in there somewhere as well.

should it be medallions, crystals, pendants, rings, pearls or fragments that the party should dungeon to collect to help kill the big bad guy?
Any of those would work.

Could also give out "heart" pendants that gives +2 constitution every time you beat a boss (when attuned).

gamefreak180

First Post
Magic sword, shield, and armor. Boots of Dashing. Bottle of Fey Imprisonment. Butterfly Net of the Archmage.

that is some interesting ideas which brings up some interesting thoughts

red potions- obviously healing potions
green potions - if i added that would they recover any spell slots up to 4th level?
blue potions- both?
fairies- first time brought to zero hp you are instead brought back to 1/4th your hit point total

i know i dont have to include any of this stuff just trying to figure out some ideas and brain storm before i start writing the prequel and the first dungeon

Azurewraith

Explorer
Perhaps a minish cap for the lulz? maybe throw in a harp of time for some time travel fun and some special animal mounts to cross x terrain. Add in some nice races and maybe add a chance to get dins fire etc.

gamefreak180

First Post
so from a player angle all races and classes are allowed (even the ua races/classes)

dm angle
starting level 3
no matter the back story there is a twist of fate that brings the party together (no idea what)
the great evil is revealed and does a display of power in the prequel
the 1st "dungeon" either thinking a forest based "temple" or an ancient fort.
boss based off of either ghoma, armos, mandala,deku scrubs, and/or odawalla

gamefreak180

First Post
that would be a funny intelligent item to give how would you work din's fire rules wise? and if i did time travel any thoughts on the time frame? and if it should be contained to certain areas?

Remove ads