• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Legend of Zelda inspired campaign

Azurewraith

Explorer
that would be a funny intelligent item to give how would you work din's fire rules wise? and if i did time travel any thoughts on the time frame? and if it should be contained to certain areas?

Fireball centered on you which excludes you from damage maybe number of casts a day based on Con and make it an epic quest for someone to learn it ofc. I would run the time thing just like in Oracle of ages localized time warp to solve problems or you could throw in ruined towns and forts etc and have players occupy them by going to the past or try and save them etc

gamefreak180

First Post
I was thinking more about boomerang, rafts, special arrows, mirror shield, and hookshots, bombs, roc feather (jumping), lodestone boots, special seeds (usable with sling), ect..

Probably a master sword in there somewhere as well.

Any of those would work.

Could also give out "heart" pendants that gives +2 constitution every time you beat a boss (when attuned).

with the obvious cap being 30 otherwise that could get out of hand. what about additional hit dice or a tiered effect based off of how many bosses are killed? either way it would definitely nullify the need of a healer especially if fairies/potions are made common like they are in certain games.

and the items you mentioned should i stick with something like that being mid dungeon reward?

Azurewraith

Explorer
with the obvious cap being 30 otherwise that could get out of hand. what about additional hit dice or a tiered effect based off of how many bosses are killed? either way it would definitely nullify the need of a healer especially if fairies/potions are made common like they are in certain games.

and the items you mentioned should i stick with something like that being mid dungeon reward?

Could give the fairies personality's and have them try to escape captivity or refuse to revive if their in a bad mood etc or even better have some fey knights come ambush the pcs due to fairy capturing may make them think twice about stuffing them in a jar

RSIxidor

Adventurer
I've actually done some thoughts on the items previously.

I think the LOZ items are fairly easy enough to translate. I was thinking that an LOZ sword might grant some of the abilities shown in the games, like swinging the sword to send a beam of energy and maybe also the spin attack. The former being a ranged spell attack using the same stats as you would for a regular melee attack (also, I think it should be a finesse weapon) and the latter being similar to the Ranger Whirlwind Attack feature.

The various other items should mostly be pretty simple but be sure to include stuff in your dungeons that might be solved by one of them. Including a whip? Have stuff that the whip can grab on to where the players wouldn't normally be able to go.

I saw in thread it said all player races will be allowed, including UA. I personally disagree with that approach here. Normally, I'm very open, but I'd want to dissuade flying options. Teleportation could also be an issue but maybe a solution for both is that areas where a problem movement ability might solve things too easily, they somehow become disabled or difficult.

Having just finished A Link Between Worlds I'm rather partial to the Rods in this game. I think just those could make for some very interesting dungeons with unusual solutions to problems.

Also, because it's D&D, I'd say don't limit solutions to only being possible by using those items. If the players find another way to pull a lever across a chasm and it's reasonable, let them do that instead.

mellored

Legend

I was thinking the heart should require attunement, which means you can't wear many amulets. Plus the party is likely to spread them out.

But, giving everyone a flat +1 max HP for each boss also works. With another, +1 if they manage to find and collect 4 fragments. Possibly end up with +20 max.

Could also give out "heart" pendants that gives +2 constitution every time you beat a boss (when attuned).
The easiest implementation of this sort of thing would just be to have the party absorb the boss's vital essence, as it dies, Highlander style. Everyone gains a level. (Instead of tracking Experience normally.)

gamefreak180

First Post
Fireball centered on you which excludes you from damage maybe number of casts a day based on Con and make it an epic quest for someone to learn it ofc. I would run the time thing just like in Oracle of ages localized time warp to solve problems or you could throw in ruined towns and forts etc and have players occupy them by going to the past or try and save them etc

that is an intriguing idea especially if they are forced to travel back and forth to complete the dungeon. and i may have to give that version of dins fire a shot.

I've actually done some thoughts on the items previously.

I think the LOZ items are fairly easy enough to translate. I was thinking that an LOZ sword might grant some of the abilities shown in the games, like swinging the sword to send a beam of energy and maybe also the spin attack. The former being a ranged spell attack using the same stats as you would for a regular melee attack (also, I think it should be a finesse weapon) and the latter being similar to the Ranger Whirlwind Attack feature.

The various other items should mostly be pretty simple but be sure to include stuff in your dungeons that might be solved by one of them. Including a whip? Have stuff that the whip can grab on to where the players wouldn't normally be able to go.

I saw in thread it said all player races will be allowed, including UA. I personally disagree with that approach here. Normally, I'm very open, but I'd want to dissuade flying options. Teleportation could also be an issue but maybe a solution for both is that areas where a problem movement ability might solve things too easily, they somehow become disabled or difficult.

Having just finished A Link Between Worlds I'm rather partial to the Rods in this game. I think just those could make for some very interesting dungeons with unusual solutions to problems.

Also, because it's D&D, I'd say don't limit solutions to only being possible by using those items. If the players find another way to pull a lever across a chasm and it's reasonable, let them do that instead.

the flying would be stopped by traps and such, and do you have a set of notes for what you have thought of?

I'd think the Hyrule Historia would be very useful in putting something together for a Zelda campaign.

what time period would work best?

Hrm, I’d say that depends on what kind of game you want to run. Personally, I think the Wind Waker era would make for an interesting game. But I could also see setting something right before Ocarina’s period, when Ganondorf is just a rising threat.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
the flying would be stopped by traps and such, and do you have a set of notes for what you have thought of?

what time period would work best?

Hrm, I’d say that depends on what kind of game you want to run. Personally, I think the Wind Waker era would make for an interesting game. But I could also see setting something right before Ocarina’s period, when Ganondorf is just a rising threat.

I've not got a lot of notes down on paper, most of it's still in my brain. I'm back and forth a bit on whether the rods would give access to spells or just spell-like abilities. The Tornado Rod, for instance, could give access to various wind spells (Gust, Gust of Wind, Warding Wind, Wind Wall, etc) with various number of charges used per spell or it could let you force every creature in a 30' cone centered on you to take a constitution save or be stunned until the start of your next turn (more like what it does in the game) for a number of charges. Or... it could do both? Maybe you have to spend time with the item to get the spells portion? I don't know, lots of ways to go with it.

As for the timeline, I do like the idea of Wind Waker as well. The boating portions provide could provide for some cool encounters and can keep areas segmented from each other in way that might be interesting.

I also think that the Imprisoning War era could be interesting. http://zeldawiki.org/Imprisoning_War

You could even consider throwing in a couple of backgrounds for Knights of Hyrule and maybe something like Sages apprentice. I like this time in the story mainly because it's got a strong background yet its events aren't fully defined. Also, there's an easy hook, the party has been tasked with sealing a minor rift to the dark world... but maybe there's a risk of being pulled to the other side (and being transformed into fluffy bunnies, etc).

EDIT: Would Favored Soul Sorcerer be a good subclass for someone with the blood of the Goddess Hylia? That'd be neat. Also could be a background, I suppose. EDIT2: I'm finding myself having lots of thoughts about Clerics that gain favor from Din (Light? War?), Farore (Nature), and Nayru (Knowledge), as well as what Hylia's domains might be.

Last edited:

Remove ads