• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Legend of Zelda inspired campaign

gamefreak180

First Post
i definitely think favored soul would work great for hylia bloodline. nayru could also be life (nayru's love) and farore could also be tempest, hylia would easily be arcane, life, war, and nature. if someone worshiped demise death, war, tempest and arcane would work for him.

and i was thinking about having windwaker travel as well but have termina hyrule and the windwaker world as what the party could adventure to. and it would be split up 4 dungeons for termina with a 5th final one which gains access to either hyrule or another area. and imprisoning war would definitely be up there for time line ideas also thinking about including the shikah war as well for a background issue that the party could do.

so to explain my thoughts it would be
termina
4 dungeons

windwaker islands
5 dungeons

hyrule
8 dungeons

not exactly like that but i do know i want to have hyrule and termina as separate continents that the players can travel between

RSIxidor

Adventurer
I'm old school, I think I may plan an Imprisoning War adventure, based heavily on A Link to the Past and Link Between Worlds but before either of those adventures.

I think both of our ideas have merit. Totally cool. Really wishing I hadn't gone to work today...

EDIT: I'm not sure why me typing old school should cause that link to appear and I don't know how to make it go away. :confused:

Last edited:

what items if any do you guys think should be ported for magic items?

should it be medallions, crystals, pendants, rings, pearls or fragments that the party should dungeon to collect to help kill the big bad guy?

here are 3 Zelda inspired items... mixed with silver arrows (just normal silver arrows) a suit of armor that gives ressitance to all non poison damage, and a sword that can make ranged attacks but only at full hp
Ruby Cane
This cane made of ruby with a sliver of adamantine was a gift from the fire god Din to a long lost lover.
It is a +1 Mace, and if you have the ability to cast fire or force spells you do so with +1 to hit and damage if an attack, +1 to AC if it is a protection, or double the duration.

Once attuned it gains the true master craft abilities to shape fire and stone. It regains 1d3+ users cha mod per month in charges, and can hold a max of 1/2 there level.

Move earth 6 charges
Wall of Stone 5 charges
Wall of Force 5 charges
Stone shape 4 charges
Wall of fire 4 charges
Conjure Minor Elemental 4 charges

Once attuned as long as you hold at least 1 charge it also negates any attempt to slow or hinder your movement.
Once attuned as long as you hold at least 1 charge it also gives advantage on any checks for architecture
Once attuned as long as you hold at least 3 charges (after use if the staff is the source of the spell) any wall spells are automatically permanent.

Light Arrows
wooden arrows with a hinge instead of a head, when you knock these mighty arrows the hinge swings and forms a brilliant white glowing arrow head...
These arrows have 2 powers, and deal 1d10 damage each.

- if your target is evil you have advantage on attacks with these arrows

- if you hit with this arrow the creature loses all immunities and resstances until the start of your next turn... and these arrows gain the benfit of ignoreing it...

Magic Powder bag

This pouch of dust is a miracle waiting to happen.
When found, or when unatoned roll 1d6, it has that many charges unless it had less before. You can use it without attuning it, but then when it is gone it is gone.

Once attuned each month it regains 1d12 charges.

When an attuned owner makes a death save, 1 charge is automatically spent to give them advantage.

You can mix one charge with water to make a potion that if drunk within the next 48hrs the drinker regains 1d3 Hit dice

You can apply a charge to an open wound, and heal it 2d6hp

You can apply 2 charges to a non-magic weapon the weapon gains +1 damage bonus until the end of the encounter.

You can apply 3 charges to a non-magic weapon or armor it becomes +1 until sundown

You can throw 3 or more charges at an enemy, the enemy makes a CON save DC 8+ number of charges spent or be polymorph into a potion of greater healing…

You can apply 15 charges to a body of a person who died within the last 15 minutes, and bring them back from the dead.

It would be great to have some kind of world switching in the style of oracle of seasons or link to the past, where whenever players use their magical item, you switch to a different world map. This would also be great with minish cap mechanics, where you switch to an enlarged map of a room, so they can explore a dungeon at different sizes.

I think the core of a Zelda campaign, should revolve around how it is different from regular D&D. If you're just going to have a bunch of dungeons with Zelda monsters, then I think you are neglecting a great opportunity to truly make a different kind of D&D experience.

I'd say, make the various magical items the key components of the campaign. Give players that same feeling of satisfaction when they finally cross that bridge because they acquired the hookshot. So you'll need lots of roadblocks, and lots of items that overcome those roadblocks. Even better would be to allow the players to choose the order of the dungeons (which the original Legend of Zelda did).

Last edited:

It would be great to have some kind of world switching in the style of oracle of seasons or link to the past, where whenever players use their magical item, you switch to a different world map. This would also be great with minish cap mechanics, where you switch to an enlarged map of a room, so they can explore a dungeon at different sizes.

I think the core of a Zelda campaign, should revolve around how it is different from regular D&D. If you're just going to have a bunch of dungeons with Zelda monsters, then I think you are neglecting a great opportunity to truly make a different kind of D&D experience.

I'd say, make the various magical items the key components of the campaign. Give players that same feeling of satisfaction when they finally cross that bridge because they acquired the hookshot. So you'll need lots of roadblocks, and lots of items that overcome those roadblocks. Even better would be to allow the players to choose the order of the dungeons (which the original Legend of Zelda did).

if you really had the time and effort (and if you do this please god post the work somewhere) I think it would be great to make a world zeldaish with multi worlds and ways to cross them...

hyrul lowrul darkworld mix and match... 'well if I go to dark world there is a dungeon, but in hyrul there isn't, but if I switch back there is one just no entrence....

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I would have limited time travel.
There are say 6 places you can go to the past. If you succeed in defeating the Olde Tyme monster before it can smash each town, the town changes from ruins to inhabited in the Present. (Inhabited villages provide supplies; ruined villages of course do not.) At the beginning people ask, "Who are you?"; if you succeed in the past, eventually somebody says, "I've heard stories about people like you in history".

You can go to the future 1 or 2 times, to grab a completed copy of something that is just being first-draft clunky prototype newly invented in the Present. (Like a hot air balloon on a long rope leads to the Goodyear Blimp. Or like the development of firearms.) Future items must be returned - a researcher will tell you that (after he examines it carefully and makes some notes). On the second trip, you get the information that you need to defeat Ganon in the Present - maybe a story / poem that describes what was used to defeat him in the "past".

Make sure to record the Link background music / sound effects and play it during game sessions !

- Inspired by Back to the Future as well as the (few) Zelda games I've played

gamefreak180

First Post
if you really had the time and effort (and if you do this please god post the work somewhere) I think it would be great to make a world zeldaish with multi worlds and ways to cross them...

hyrul lowrul darkworld mix and match... 'well if I go to dark world there is a dungeon, but in hyrul there isn't, but if I switch back there is one just no entrance....

so mirror for dark world and cracks in the ground for lorule and hyrule is the main area with termina entrance in the lost woods as a bonus damn that sounds awesome.

so mirror for dark world and cracks in the ground for lorule and hyrule is the main area with termina entrance in the lost woods as a bonus damn that sounds awesome.

It could be better still. Imagine that each of those had 2 modified maps with a song of time... 2 time points in each... some you can travel into the future and some you can travel to the past. You have 1 main enemy (a future truly reborn Demise) sending back info to a sereise of lesser evils... so each has 5-8 dungeons, and when you finally beat all three (dark, lo and hy) enemies you travel to the future and fight demise... the trick is that because you did one or two thing in each place (things that need to be done to move forward) you made it possible for him to be free again...

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Yeah, I'm going full on in the idea I had before.

Basic hook is during Imprisoning War, while the Seven Sages are trying to stop the worst breeches, adventurers are hired by the royal family to seek out smaller rifts in reality to stop The Demon King's army from flooding into the Light World from the Dark World. I'll be including the history from the games as planned out in the timeline in Hyrule Historia (I know plenty hate it but it's a decent resource for this) as well as including in the pantheon available any deities that existed in those games. Somewhat of a lack of evil deities, so I may include Malladus, though he's from a different split of the timeline (easy enough to do, explain that he's a patron deity of evil from a farway land- which is true, Sprit Tracks takes place in New Hyrule). Might pull some others in the same fashion from other parts of the series. Locations will include some from both OoT and ALttP. I'm thinking that the Sea Zoras have fled, following Jabbu Jabbu to a new realm and leaving a hole that the River Zoras easily fill, now fighting for who should be their ruler. The Gorons have slowly been migrating away as well, somehow revealing the Tower of Hera atop Death Mountain. I'm not quite sure what to do about Kokiri Forest, perhaps it's been attacked by the forces of the Demon King, so those that lived there have fled. I figure Gerudo Valley somehow becomes the area around Eastern Palace. There's almost a 180 flip between the ALttP and the OoT map, with some other shifts as well. It'll be weird but it can be made to work.

EDIT: Did some more thinking about it. This could be a lot later in the history. They never have really stated years or anything so it could be long enough that 1. Ganon's army swarmed all over Kokiri forest, causing it's people to flee, they began destroying the forest. 2. A new forest was planted in the northwest (gerudo valleyish area) and people began calling this New Kokiri Forest. 3. Lake Hylia as it was began to empty. A new lake formed to the east. The mostly empty lake became the great swamp. Alternate Explanation: Ganon's manipulation of the Sacred Realm/Dark World also changed the light world (a lot easier to swallow, I suppose).

Last edited:

Remove ads