• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Legends of Xen'drik, Chapter 1: Opening the Harbor (OOC)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Beguilers aren't supper great buffers other than invis and blur. And summoning is a great option---just remember you can do that spontaneously and flamestrike/call lighting still do good damage w/o the save. :)

W/ the new level, Damen is looking into Cull Wand Essence from Magic of Eberron to get some big damage options (not a guarantee). So don't fret too much.

gabrion

First Post
Shayuri said:
Oh, I read 'em. :)

And I'm not compromising the spirit of the character here. Druids have many options for combat. Attacking with spells directly is one. Summons is another. Companion another. Direct physical attacks yet ANOTHER.

Yep, you guys have a lot of options.

Although things like feat choices and so on govern which of these approaches work best, any of them can be used with a day or so of notice. Right now, Maighan is 'specced' for Wildshape/Summoning combat, with her spellcasting being in a support healing/buffing capacity.

This is more what I was talking about. You can be competent at a lot of things, but druids are often built around 1 or 2 strong points. I just didn't want you to compromise that. Since you aren't...carry on!

Beguilers, for example, do quite well with buffing...not so well with direct attack spells. I can easily reduce my current emphasis on summons to get some DC boosts necessary to make druidic blasties at this level competitive.

Lemme take a look and see what blasties are available at level 9. What sources do you allow for spells?

Most any book is fine (still don't have some new ones like dungeonscape, city scape, fiendish codex II, complete scoundrel, and complete champion though). One thing I will ask is that when you add your spells to your character sheet, please list the source after each non-core one.

As for blasting spells, I don't think your 5th level spells will be better than your 4th level ones, since 4th level is ripe with ones like flame strike, arc of lightning, boreal wind, and blast of sand to name a few. 5th level does usher in baleful polymorph and choking sands though, which can be quite useful offensive spells.

stonegod

Damen updated to 9th. Lost Magic Sensitive for Vatic Gaze at 9th, so his 6th level feat is currently Cull Wand Essence. To use the monocle had to swap some skills around (lost a bunch of Decipher Script, which is okay as he has comp. langs.). Gained a level in beguiler and chose phantasmal killer as his advanced learning.

Might still futz w/ his 6th level feat, but otherwise looks to be good. Still spying/talking/sneaking guy.

Erekose13

Explorer
Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Logran Hallis  - [url=http://www.rkpost.net/covers/ravenchron_fin.jpg]Pic[/url]
[B]Class:[/B] Warblade 9
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Region of Origin:[/b] Cyre
[B]Size:[/B] M
[B]Gender:[/B] M
[B]Alignment:[/B] NG
[B]Action Points:[/B] 9 (roll 2d6)
[B]Deity:[/B] Sovereign Host 

[B]Str:[/B] 20 +5 	[B]Level:[/B] 9	[B]XP[/B]: 40500
[B]Dex:[/B] 16 +3 	[B]BAB:[/B] +9		[B]HP:[/B] 120 (9d12+36)
[B]Con:[/B] 18 +4 	[B]Grapple:[/B] +14	[B]Stat Increases:[/b] 4 - Str, 8 - Dex
[B]Int:[/B] 16 +3 	[B]Speed:[/B] 30'	 
[B]Wis:[/B] 12 +1 	[B]Init:[/B] +3		
[B]Cha:[/B] 10 +0 	[B]ACP:[/B] -X		

[B]	Base	Armor	Shld	Dex	Size	Nat	Misc	Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]	10	+7	+3	+3	+0	+1	+1	25
[B]Touch:[/B]	14	[B]Flatfooted:[/B] 21

[B]	Total	Base	Mod	Misc[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]	+10	+4	+6	--
[B]Ref:[/B]	+9	+3	+3	+3*
[B]Will:[/B]	+4	+1	+3	--
[B]Notes:[/B] *when not flat-footed

[B]Weapon			Attack	Damage	Critical	Range[/B]
Bastard Sword +1	+17/+12	1d10+8	19-20/x2	------
Bastard Sword +1 TH	+17/+12	1d10+10	19-20/x2	------
Shortspear (ranged)			+13	1d6+5	x2	20 ft
[B]Notes:[/B] +2 to hit w/ DM maneuvers, +3 melee when conf. crits, 
+3 dmg vs. flat-footed/flanked

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Goblin, Elf, Gnome

[B]Abilities:[/B] Battle Clarity (+Int bonus on Refl saves when not flat-footed), 
Weapon Aptitude (switch weapon for weapon specific feats), Uncanny Dodge, 
Battle Ardor (critical Confirmation - +Int on rolls to confirm crits), 
Bonus Feat (Blade Meditation), Improved Uncanny Dodge, 
Battle Cunning (damage - +Int on melee dmg against flat-footed/flanked),
Bonus Feat (Combat Reflexes)

[B]Feats: [/B] Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword), 
Weapon Focus (bastard sword), Power Attack, 
Blade Meditation - Diamond Mind (+1 dmg with Bastard Sword, 
+2 Concentration checks, +1 save dcs for DM maneuvers), 
Weapon Specialization (bastard sword), Vital Recovery (Recover maneuver: 
Heal 3+Lvl), Combat Reflexes

[B]Maneuvers[/B] 
[B]Known:[/B]
[I][B]1st -[/B][/I] Moment of Perfect Mind (Counter - Conc. check for Will save)
[I][B]2nd -[/B][/I] Action Before Thought (Counter - Conc. check for Refl save), 
Emerald Razor (Strike - touch attack)
[I][B]3rd -[/B][/I] Mind Over Body (Count - Conc. check for Fort save), 
Insightful Strike (Strike - Conc. check for damage),
Iron Heart Surge (Boost - remove one spell/condition)
[I][B]4th -[/B][/I] Ruby Nightmare Blade (Strike - Conc. check = double damage), 
Mithral Tornado (Strike - attack all adjacent enemies)
[B]Readied:[/B] Moment of Perfect Mind, Action Before Thought, Mind over Body, 
Insightful Strike
[B]Stances:[/B]
[I][B]1st -[/B] [/I]Punishing Stance (+d6 dmg, -2 AC)
[I][B]3rd -[/B][/I] Pearl of Black Doubt (Gain +2AC each time foe misses)

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 99	[B]Max Ranks:[/B] 12/6
[B]Skills		Total	Ranks	Mod 	Misc[/B]
Balance		15	12	3	--
Concentration	28	12	4	12
Know(History)	15	12	3	--
Know(local)	15	12	3	--
Martial Lore	15	12	3	--
Tumble		15	12	3	--
Listen		07	6	1	--
Spot		07	6	1	--
[B]Notes:[/B]

[B]Equipment:				Cost	Weight[/B]
+1 Bastard Sword			8335gp	6lbs
 - Martial Discipline (Diamond Mind) (+1 to hit/+3 when using DM maneuvers)
Circlet of Concentration (+10)		10000gp	-lb
Mithral Breastplate +2			8350gp	15lb
Darkwood Shield +1			1257gp	5lb
Amulet of Natural Armor +1		2000gp	-lb
Ring of Protection +1			2000gp	-lb
Guantlets of Ogre Power +2		4000gp	4lb
Belt of Health +2			4000gp	1lb
MW Shortspear (3)			903gp	9lbs
Arrows (40)				2gp	6lbs
Potions:
 - Cure Moderate Wounds (x4)		1200gp	-lb
 - Cure Light Wounds (x5)		250gp	-lb
Backpack 				2gp	2lb
Flint and Steel				1gp	-lb
Rope, silk (100ft)			20gp	10lb
Everburning Torch			110gp	1lb
Waterskin				1gp	4lb
Explorer's outfit			-gp	8lb
Rations, trail (x3)			15sp	3lb

[B]Total Weight:[/B]73lb	[B]Money:[/B] 67gp 5sp 0cp

[B]		Lgt	Med	Hvy	Lift	Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]	133	266	400	800	2000

[B]Age:[/B] 38
[B]Height:[/B] 5'9"
[B]Weight:[/B] 180 lbs
[B]Eyes:[/B] Blue
[B]Hair:[/B] Bald
[B]Skin:[/B] Fair

Appearance: Logran is an aging hero. He has removed all his hair and keeps his head shaved bald. He wears a cooler outfit having found his traditional Cyran clothes both uncomfortable in the heat and an unneccessary reminder to past glories. His bastard sword though is kept finely honed and polished. He can even be seen polishing it while sitting around the taproom of the Chapterhouse.

Personality: A loyalist to Queen and Country through and through, Logran has become quite depressed after the mourning. Hated and forced out of Khorvaire where he is no longer wanted as a reminder of the Great War, he has come to Xen'drik as an escape. Should something appeal to his sense of duty again, he'd be happy to free himself from the lethargy his exile has imposed on him. Generally given to telling war stories and harkening back to lost times, he likes to guide or teach through his tales.

Background:During the height of the Great War, Logran Hallis fought for his native Cyre. He applied his passion for the sword in devotion for his Queen and country, leading daring strikes against Thrane and Kharnnath. When the goblin armies of Darguun turned against Cyre, it was his team that struck back encouraging the goblin traitors to stay out of the rest of the war. On the battlefield against the elven Valenari forces he distinguished himself again and again.

And then the Mourning came. On the day of the mourning, Logran was out of Cyre on a mission in Valenar, hunting for a traitor against the crown. A Phairlani elf, named Phaeryn, had turned on Cyre and was traveling to the Valenar capital to relay critical information regarding the Cyran forces on the border. Logran caught up to Phaeryn and killed him, but it brought little satisfaction when he returned to find his country it covered in mist. He tried to pierce the mists a few times, but the horrors of the Mournland were too much to take.

Dissaffected and without a country, he travelled to Darguun and through to Sharn. The prejudice he found there, Cyrans living bowing to Brelanders, was too much for the Queen's man. He left the main continent on the next ship to Xen'drik to escape from the world that he no longer belonged to. He has taken up residence in Stormreach, a drunk, melancholy man who longs for the old days. He can often be found in the Chapterhouse regaling any who come calling with tales of Old Cyre and the glory of her Queen. Which of course makes him quite unpopular, though he tales of battle and war are a bitter reminder to those who are in Xen'drik from the same reasons as him.

Last edited:

stonegod

Ooops! Realized Damen has no Concentration, which is bad for a front line caster. Will have to take a look.

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm.

Taking suggestions for animal companions

Eagle is best scout.

Dire wolf is probably best war-pet. Plus, she can ride it. Downside...big. Won't always be able to come with us.

Dire Bat is a good scout, big enough to ride (while flying!), decent in combat. Sort of combines the dire wolf and eagle, but isn't as good as them at their specialties. Still too big to get into most human-sized dungeons.

Haven't statted the medium viper yet. Hm. 8HD medium viper...with Con boosts to increase poison DC...

HMM.

gabrion

First Post
Those all sound like solid options. One thing I would point out is that if you want a large flying creature that is a decent scout and combatant, a Dire Eagle (Races of Stone) probably does a bit better than a dire bat.

As a general note on fitting your companion into dungeons, I don't think I'll ruin the story too much by telling you that that won't be a big issue. Most of the time size restraints won't really be a factor and even when they are, large creatures will usually be able to fit. Of course enlarging them through magic might not work in a few select spots, but you'll know that when you're in such a position.

gabrion

First Post
stonegod said:
Ooops! Realized Damen has no Concentration, which is bad for a front line caster. Will have to take a look.

Well you do have three other people who will usually be staying between you and the baddies, but ya, a little concentration never hurt anyone.

gabrion

First Post
stonegod said:
Damen updated to 9th. Lost Magic Sensitive for Vatic Gaze at 9th, so his 6th level feat is currently Cull Wand Essence. To use the monocle had to swap some skills around (lost a bunch of Decipher Script, which is okay as he has comp. langs.). Gained a level in beguiler and chose phantasmal killer as his advanced learning.

Might still futz w/ his 6th level feat, but otherwise looks to be good. Still spying/talking/sneaking guy.

These feats are fine, but I'm a bit curious about them. Do you plan to use Vatic Gaze much to find out enemy caster abilities, or are you simply getting it for the detect magic to use with the monocle? If its the latter, I would recommend investing in something else. As the OP points out, there won't be a huge demand for identifying items because rewards will be in gold most of the time. When you do need to ID something, you'll still have the monocle and your 0 lvl spells to use, which should be more than enough.

As for Cull Wand Essence, I've actually never seen that in play but it looks like it will add some firepower for you. It may also mean you need to spend hard earned gold on wands, which is never fun. If it were me I would focus on crowd control/charms/etc and let the warriors damage take things down most of the time (their attacks don't cost per charge after all). Of course stick with what you like, but these were just some thoughts I had.

stonegod

gabrion said:
Well you do have three other people who will usually be staying between you and the baddies, but ya, a little concentration never hurt anyone.
A beguilier's abilities to add DCs depend on being able to feint or be hidden--the latter works once, the former requires once to be right there in the middle.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads