• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Legolas: What do YOUR elven eyes see?

mooby

First Post
I'm going to have to pay more attention next time.

I've read that Elves have much better vision than Humans in Low light situations. Maybe the eyes change colors at certain parts.

I dunno, gunna have to watch it again. :)

Lady Starhawk

First Post
digital color manipulation

It's no secret that Orlando has brown eyes himself, but in one of the "making of" documentaries it shows him with the contacts he had for the filming (in his hand). I can't imagine that they didn't have him wear them for the whole shoot, that would be like having the Hobbits without their feet, or Aragorn without his manly stubble ;).

I am sure that the problem is the digital shading that they did on every scene of the movie. It shades the characters and everything about them (including their eyes). They had to take out the blue in order to make a scene more "yellow" (such as in Rivendell). Depending on the lighting of the scene and the shading done in post production. Frodo, Aragorn, Boromir, and Gandalf's eyes all look very dark in the rivendell scenes (especially the council) as well, and they're naturally blue-eyed. IIRC ;)

However, I have blue eyes and depending on the lightning and surrounding environment they can look very different; darker or lighter.

Lady Starhawk

(I might have my colors mixed up however [it's been a long time since I have worked with theater lighting or photo colors ;) ] but the reasoning is sound :p )

Ziona

First Post
Interesting observation. Yeah, Orlando has very dark brown eyes, and it doesn't make sense that they wouldn't have him wear the contacts all the time, but his eyes just aren't blue in Fellowship the way they are in TTT, so that's why I figured I throw the question out to everyone.

Thanks for the info! :)

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
I stole this from the "I'm heir to the throne of Condo" thread. It's the Council Scene in Rivendell.

While it's still hard to determine his eye color, I'm leaning towards blue.

Gotta love the caption though ;)

Attachments

• imaged24.jpg
    imaged24.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 417

Ziona

First Post
Mean Eyed Cat said:
I stole this from the "I'm heir to the throne of Condo" thread. It's the Council Scene in Rivendell.
While it's still hard to determine his eye color, I'm leaning towards blue.

Yeah, I have to admit that they certainly don't look brown there. It does look like he's wearing contacts. Still, you think they would have made them as noticably blue as they are in TTT.

Luiz d'Artayn

First Post
It's a technical/lighting glitch. His eyes are brown, but he wore light blue contact lenses. In certain lighting situations (I forget which, specifically ... something along the lines of "too direct into the face" or "too strong from x angles" or something) then the contact lenses are "bypassed" and the stronger/darker colour (the natural brown) comes through.

Agback

Explorer
Jeremy said:
A true blond would have blond eyebrows

One of my nieces has blonde hair and dark eyebrows. (And eyes of such a bright blue that they seem to glow.) Mind you, I've just looked at some old photos of her, and she used to have blonde eyebrows. I guess it's possible that she has darkened a little since childhood, and that she takes steps to preserve her blonde-ness.

Regards,

Agback

Jeremy

Explorer
Most likely it's because of her attempts to maintain her blond-ness. :)

I remember in elementary school, every third person had really really REALLY blond hair. Then by middle school only every 5th or 6th, then in high school it was still every 5th or 6th, but most of them had dark eyebrows now.

I know I started with really blond hair and ended up with really dark blond hair. But then I could be wrong. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads