• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Leif's AD&D 1E Recruiting Thread

Leif

Adventurer
I never really thought about that one. We'll say that everyone with an Intelligence of at least 10 can read at what we consider to be a high school level. Intelligence of 8-9 means functional illiteracy, can only read short single words and write his/her name. Intelligence of 7 and below is illiterate.

This is my first stab at this, so it's subject to change later.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Coupla multi-class questions (I don't remember how we did it last time :blush:):

1) Weapon Prof's: Am I taking the the average (Fighter 4/Cleric 2: so pick 3?) or just using the more (or less) permissive?
1a) Using the more or less permissive rate for acquiring new proficiencies (not really that big a deal, since it'll be a while. Just something I like to know/note.)? 1/4 for cleric vs. 1/3 for fighter.

2) Starting coinage: Greater, lesser or average starting money?

3) Think I know this one, but just to make sure...Starting max HP is averaged, right? Ftr 10 + Cle 8 =18 /2 = 9.

4) Not multi-class related: with the Weapon Proficiencies, do I need to take Longbow, Short bow, Composite Longbow and Composite Short bow all as separate proficiencies or is there just "strung bow" [vs crossbow]. Or, at least, "Longbow - incl. normal or composite" or "Short bow- incl. normal and composite"?

For the rest of it, here's what I have so far:

Ellydd (middle/elf name, generally not used: Arswydion) Walker
Half-elf/Male
Fighter/Cleric
Alignment: Neutral Good (the alignment of his goddess)
Deity: Elhonna (a.k.a. Ehlenestra to elves): goddess of forests, woodland plants and animals, fertility (and heavily associated with unicorns).

Age: according to the DMG he has to be: 48. Makes him "Mature" for a half-elf, but being half-elf, he still looks to be in his low 20's (if that's ok :).
Hair: a rich blond, like goldenrod, worn long (to his shoulder blades) and generally kept up/back in a ponytail.
Eyes: Hazel-Green with golden flecks that sometimes sparkle in the right light.
Distinguishing Features: Other than the slightly "more than human" intensity of his hair and eye color, Ellydd has a slight point to the tips of his ears, though these are generally hidden beneath his pulled-back hair.

General look: With a strong jawline and high cheekbones, he is notably handsome but still, somehow, gives off an air of "standoff-ish-ness." It seems he is constantly preoccupied by things other than those in front of him. His face is usually a stoic mask of serenity. Peaceful, yes, but not necessarily warm or welcoming [that work to describe someone who's good-looking but still has a mediocre-lowish CHA?].

Str: 17 (+1 to hit/+1 dmg; +500 cn. wt.; Open Doors 1-3; BB/LG 13%)
Dex: 12 (-/-)
Con: 12 (SS 80%; Res. 85%)
Int: 15 (no additional languages due to Int. because he's half-elf.)
Wis: 18 (+4 vs. magic attack; additional spells: 2 1st/2 2nd/1 3rd/1 4th)
Cha: 11 (Max. henchmen 4; Loyalty -; Reaction Adj. -)

History/Background to come. But general thinking right now is (to help with a party of both humans and elves -and a dwarf) he was raised by a human father (woodsman or trapper) at the edges of human society and his calling/choice of deity as well as desire to adventure/wander is connected to his desire to spend more time with/get to know his [barely-remembered] mother's people.

Right now, I'm envisioning him fighting with scimitar and shield in melee. Carries/uses/prefers to start attacks from range with a longbow (sacred weapon of Ehlonna). Composite bow if I can afford it...whiiiich, checking the equipment list...HO-LY! 100gp!!!...seems unlikely to start. heh heh. Nevermind.

He's shaping up, mentally, to be a kinda paladin/ranger hybrid-type of guy in/through his actions...though he is neither by class. Perhaps an underlying desire/dream to become/function as a "Paladin of Ehlonna"?...or something. He's definitely looking to be able to rise in the graces of Ehlonna enough to, someday, at least, encounter a unicorn. Maybe dreams of one day having a unicorn mount...?...This is all still "brainstorming stage."

More later...or probably just solidify in the Rogue's Gallery.
--SD

Mallus

Legend
Mainly because if I give you a war dog then I'll almost have to give everyone something of equal usefuless, and pretty soon your first level party will be taking out giants and hydrae as a matter of course.
That's cool.

[You did mean a BIG dog, didn't you?] It might work better if we could have party ownership of a dog or two.
A group war dog sounds good, and yes, big, say a bull mastiff (if this were Warhammer I'd suggest "small and viscous"). I'd like to name the dog "Haggis" (you can see where this is going, eh?), but I'll defer if some of the other players are pun-averse.

Intelligence of 8-9 means functional illiteracy, can only read short single words and write his/her name. Intelligence of 7 and below is illiterate.

This is my first stab at this, so it's subject to change later.
Consider that an INT 9 character qualifies to be magic-user who can cast up to 4th level spells, including the 1st level spells "Read Magic" and "Comprehend Languages".

wolfattack

First Post
Hi guys, i believe i'll be able to present a finished character until saturday/sunday, this week has been very busy for me so far and it don't look that this will change until saturday.

Mallus

Legend
How does this look?

Oban Isla, of the Mountain Fastness of Iron Isla
FTR1/THF1
Mountain Dwarf, male
True Neutral w/Good tendencies.

STR: 18/77 + 2 to hit, +4 to damage, weight +1500gp, Open Doors: 1-4, Bend Bars: %25
INT: 11 +2 possible add. languages
WIS: 9
DEX: 17 +2 reaction/missile, -3 AC
CON: 16 +2 HP, System Shock: 95%, Resurrection Survival: 96%
CHR: 9 (8) 3 henchmen max, -5% loyalty base (only if non-Dwarven)

HP: 10
AC: 4 (shieldless 5, rear 8)
Move: 12'

Armor: leather and light buckler
Weapons: hand axe, spear, hammer, light crossbow.

Saving Throws
Paralyzation/Posion/Death Magic: 13
Petrification/Polymorph: 12
Rod/Wand/Staff: 14
Breath Weapon: 16
Spells: 15
+4 to saves vs. poison, rod/wand/staff, spells

Thief Skills
Pick Pockets: 35%
Open Locks: 45%
Find/Remove Traps: 35%
Move Silently: 15%
Hide in Shadows: 15%
Hear Noise: 15%
Climb Walls: 75%
Read Languages: --

Height: 4'1''
Weight: 145
Skin/Eyes/Hair: ruddy/black/black

Secondary Skill: Trader/Barterer
Languages: dwarven, gnome, goblin, kobold, orcish, common

Dwarven Abilities
Infravsion 60'
+1 to hit in melee vs. half-orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, orcs
-4 to *opponents* to hit vs. ogres, trolls, ogre magi, giants, titans.
Detect the following with 10' while concentrating..
...Grade/Slope: d4 1-3
...New Construction: d4 1-3
...Sliding or Shift Walls: d6 1-4
...Pits/Stonework Traps: d4 1-2
...Depth Underground: d4 1-2

Money: 100 gp
Equipment: TBD

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Coupla multi-class questions (I don't remember how we did it last time :blush:):

1) Weapon Prof's: Am I taking the the average (Fighter 4/Cleric 2: so pick 3?) or just using the more (or less) permissive?
1a) Using the more or less permissive rate for acquiring new proficiencies (not really that big a deal, since it'll be a while. Just something I like to know/note.)? 1/4 for cleric vs. 1/3 for fighter.

2) Starting coinage: Greater, lesser or average starting money?

3) Think I know this one, but just to make sure...Starting max HP is averaged, right? Ftr 10 + Cle 8 =18 /2 = 9.

4) Not multi-class related: with the Weapon Proficiencies, do I need to take Longbow, Short bow, Composite Longbow and Composite Short bow all as separate proficiencies or is there just "strung bow" [vs crossbow]. Or, at least, "Longbow - incl. normal or composite" or "Short bow- incl. normal and composite"?

For the rest of it, here's what I have so far:

Ellydd (middle/elf name, generally not used: Arswydion) Walker
Half-elf/Male
Fighter/Cleric
Alignment: Neutral Good (the alignment of his goddess)
Deity: Elhonna (a.k.a. Ehlenestra to elves): goddess of forests, woodland plants and animals, fertility (and heavily associated with unicorns).

Age: according to the DMG he has to be: 48. Makes him "Mature" for a half-elf, but being half-elf, he still looks to be in his low 20's (if that's ok :).
Hair: a rich blond, like goldenrod, worn long (to his shoulder blades) and generally kept up/back in a ponytail.
Eyes: Hazel-Green with golden flecks that sometimes sparkle in the right light.
Distinguishing Features: Other than the slightly "more than human" intensity of his hair and eye color, Ellydd has a slight point to the tips of his ears, though these are generally hidden beneath his pulled-back hair.

General look: With a strong jawline and high cheekbones, he is notably handsome but still, somehow, gives off an air of "standoff-ish-ness." It seems he is constantly preoccupied by things other than those in front of him. His face is usually a stoic mask of serenity. Peaceful, yes, but not necessarily warm or welcoming [that work to describe someone who's good-looking but still has a mediocre-lowish CHA?].

Str: 17 (+1 to hit/+1 dmg; +500 cn. wt.; Open Doors 1-3; BB/LG 13%)
Dex: 12 (-/-)
Con: 12 (SS 80%; Res. 85%)
Int: 15 (no additional languages due to Int. because he's half-elf.)
Wis: 18 (+4 vs. magic attack; additional spells: 2 1st/2 2nd/1 3rd/1 4th)
Cha: 11 (Max. henchmen 4; Loyalty -; Reaction Adj. -)

History/Background to come. But general thinking right now is (to help with a party of both humans and elves -and a dwarf) he was raised by a human father (woodsman or trapper) at the edges of human society and his calling/choice of deity as well as desire to adventure/wander is connected to his desire to spend more time with/get to know his [barely-remembered] mother's people.

Right now, I'm envisioning him fighting with scimitar and shield in melee. Carries/uses/prefers to start attacks from range with a longbow (sacred weapon of Ehlonna). Composite bow if I can afford it...whiiiich, checking the equipment list...HO-LY! 100gp!!!...seems unlikely to start. heh heh. Nevermind.

He's shaping up, mentally, to be a kinda paladin/ranger hybrid-type of guy in/through his actions...though he is neither by class. Perhaps an underlying desire/dream to become/function as a "Paladin of Ehlonna"?...or something. He's definitely looking to be able to rise in the graces of Ehlonna enough to, someday, at least, encounter a unicorn. Maybe dreams of one day having a unicorn mount...?...This is all still "brainstorming stage."

More later...or probably just solidify in the Rogue's Gallery.
--SD

1. Use the most advantageous class for weapons/armor, the exception being that thieves in metal armor cannot use their thieving abilities. Except for the following: Open Locks, Find [but not remove] Traps, Hear Noise, and Read Language.

2. Use the greater starting money.

3. Not [exactly] averaged hp, but that's close: determine hp for each class that gets a new hit die, including con bonus, then divide by the number of classes. Hmm, maybe that is average, but ot doesn't work like an average when you advance levels unevenly, then you figure new hp as I just stated.

4. Longbow proficiency will include the composite variety, since it's the same weapon, just made with different construction. Same applies to short bow. Crossbow proficiency will include both heavy and light.

I like Ellydd! Very cool.

That's cool.

A group war dog sounds good, and yes, big, say a bull mastiff (if this were Warhammer I'd suggest "small and viscous"). I'd like to name the dog "Haggis" (you can see where this is going, eh?), but I'll defer if some of the other players are pun-averse.

Consider that an INT 9 character qualifies to be magic-user who can cast up to 4th level spells, including the 1st level spells "Read Magic" and "Comprehend Languages".

Good point about intelligence. Disregard what I said before. Anyone with a 7+ Int is literate to some extent.

And, Mallus, your Dwarf's hit points at first level are: 10 [max ftr hit die] +2 [con bonus] = 12.

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
And, Mallus, your Dwarf's hit points at first level are: 10 [max ftr hit die] +2 [con bonus] = 12.
He's also a thief, so shouldn't it be: (10+2)/2 = 6 + (6+2)/2 = 4 = 10 HP?

Not that I wouldn't like 2 extra HP at 1st level...

re: armor -- how long does it take to don, say, chain mail? It's a moot point at 1st level since Oban's pretty poor, but he might consider wearing armor if can get in and out of it fast enough. He's going to be a thief in the "expert trap-finder" vein.

Leif

Adventurer
He's also a thief, so shouldn't it be: (10+2)/2 = 6 + (6+2)/2 = 4 = 10 HP?

Not that I wouldn't like 2 extra HP at 1st level...

re: armor -- how long does it take to don, say, chain mail? It's a moot point at 1st level since Oban's pretty poor, but he might consider wearing armor if can get in and out of it fast enough. He's going to be a thief in the "expert trap-finder" vein.
OOOPS! Totally missed your thief class. Never mind. :blush:

I was thinking that too. Well, my math was: Ftr 10 + Thf 6 = 16 /2 = 8 +2 Con bonus = 10...but yeah.

Hell, take the extra 2 HP and run! :D
Hey, you! You just watch it, bub! :rant:

DM_Wannabe

First Post
I'm kicking around ideas for my male/human/illusionist's background, and I'd like some feedback or maybe even some ideas from you guys. I recently came across some artwork on either Elfwood or Deviant Art (can't remember which one it was) but the point is the artist had a background to go along with the character portrait he made.

The character I read about was an adventurer who was a member of the royal family, but who's brother was trying to kill him so he would not inherit the throne. It was an interesting concept to me. Of course, I think making a character who is royalty is a little over the top. But the idea of having an adversary somewhere out there who is intent on ending your existence is a rather compelling storyline.

So what I was thinking was maybe my character was trained by a master illusionist who had two apprentices. The other apprentice was a jealous, malicious, evil type of person who grew to hate my character. He would put on the appearance of being a well-intentioned, good person when around the master, but when the two apprentices were alone, his true colors would come out and he would be extremely jealous and mean-spirited toward my character. Eventually, the conflict grew to the point where the evil student made some horrific attack against my character and the master found out about it. The bad apprentice is subsequently kicked out of the program and vows that he will get his revenge by killing my character. So somewhere out there, is an evil illusionist who is obsessed with hunting down and killing my character.

So...time for your input: feedback, comments, ideas, etc.

Obviously, this background is in rough draft form, and needs to be worked out quite a bit before it's complete, but I want to see if any of you have some ideas to help me along this process.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Remove ads