Leif's "Hold of the Sea Princes" Greyhawk Alpha Game [AD&D 1E] [IC 01]

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Shiyana chuckles coyly at the scribe's description and says, "I don't know about 'castles', Master Rathmore. But towers certainly. And taller by far, yes." The lovely druidess pauses for a moment before continuing, "But I suppose, perhaps there are some that could be used as castles." She chuckles again.

Shiyana looks to her other three companions. The proposal by Rathmore to claim half of their earnings seems...excessive to her mind. Though the reciprocal arrange of give and take does speak to her sensibilities and fairness, a Balance of a sort. Information, the druidess holds, is definitely important. But half?! Between the four of them? At the same time, she was taught that the acquisition of wealth holds no importance to her order. So, she wonders if the others will want to accept his proposal.

The copper headed half-elf looks to her other companions with questioning looks. The Druids do not write anything down, or very very rarely. Could this curious old man actually make money by writing stories about their adventures to share with them? Shiyana remains quiet and pensive, deciding to let others do the haggling, if that is what is supposed to occur next to her limited understanding of how negotiations worked in this world of Men.

Leif

Adventurer
Half the treasure??

OOC: Look again, Steeldragons, Rathmore said Half of one share, not half the treasure. How that would work is like this: each party member gets 2 shares and Rathmore gets one, so that's a total of nine shares --each PC gets 2/9 and rathmore would get 1/9. So each PC is losing [0.25-0.22=0.03] 3%. In other words, Rathmore would get a total of eleven percent of the total take [1/9 = 0.1111].

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
OOC: Look again, Steeldragons, Rathmore said Half of one share, not half the treasure. How that would work is like this: each party member gets 2 shares and Rathmore gets one, so that's a total of nine shares --each PC gets 2/9 and rathmore would get 1/9. So each PC is losing [0.25-0.22=0.03] 3%. In other words, Rathmore would get a total of eleven percent of the total take [1/9 = 0.1111].

Oooooh....That's very different....Nevermind. B-)

Rhun

First Post
Turthain chuckles at Camlin's attempt to clean his armor, and gives his companion a good natured nudge. "That is why I stick with my bow...less mess by far." The elf continues to chuckle as he turns back to Rathmore.

"Half of a share in the event that your information leads us to valuable loot?" Turthain nods. "I think that sounds fair enough. Better than crooked innkeep the last town over...we paid him good coin up front, and his information led to nothing!"

Leif

Adventurer
Rathmore the Scribe

"as I said, Turthain, I seek not to enrich myself at the expense of you doughty adventuring folk, but, rather, what I had in mind is a sort of partnership, where we each do the job that we are best suited for -- me doing the research and locating likely prospects for profit to pusue, and you able souls following up on the leads that I find. I have already located an 'avenue' or two that calls out to be pursued. If we can just manage to find a smidgin of luck, I firmly believe that we can all achieve more profit than we ever have done before."

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
A half share for information? That sounds reasonable to me. I would like to add, though, Master Rathmore, that whatever information you may find; that whatever quest you seek to send us on - that the quest have some noble purpose as well. There are many entities in the world who seek to envelop us in Chaos and Evil. I would hate to find out that my actions, guided by your information, advanced the agendas of those that I oppose.

Odo turns toward his companions; his lips pressed tightly together. A popping sounds emits from his mouth as he goes to speak.

I understand that traveling with me can be difficult. The Light of Pholtus can, at times, be blinding. But in a world as dark as this, someone must stand for what is good.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
"as I said, Turthain, I seek not to enrich myself at the expense of you doughty adventuring folk, but, rather, what I had in mind is a sort of partnership, where we each do the job that we are best suited for -- me doing the research and locating likely prospects for profit to pusue, and you able souls following up on the leads that I find. I have already located an 'avenue' or two that calls out to be pursued. If we can just manage to find a smidgin of luck, I firmly believe that we can all achieve more profit than we ever have done before."

"Profit is not something that holds much import to my kind. Though the necessity of coin in these settled parts of the world cannot be denied." Shiyana pauses and seems to be thinking a moment before continuing.

"Your proposal shows reason and an innate understanding of the Balance I find refreshing, Master Rathmore. The idea that each of us has a purpose and a role that is ours to play in this wide world. That we might be the "Hands", as it were, in areas where we have no knowledge while you are the "Mind" directing in us in areas where you have not the strength. Yes, there is a symmetry there that pleases me."
Shiyana nods approvingly and looks to her other companions.

"You have, it seems, some indication of the value of our Hands. Could I impose, Mater Rathmore, to ask for a sampling of what you have to contribute...What did you have in Mind?"

A half share for information? That sounds reasonable to me. I would like to add, though, Master Rathmore, that whatever information you may find; that whatever quest you seek to send us on - that the quest have some noble purpose as well. There are many entities in the world who seek to envelop us in Chaos and Evil. I would hate to find out that my actions, guided by your information, advanced the agendas of those that I oppose.

Shinyana nods in serious agreement at the acolyte.

"You will receive no argument from me, good Brother. You will have my cudgel and Craft to assist in staving the swell of Chaos and Evil where we may find it. Order is needed, in equal part of course, for the world to be maintained as it should and from what little I have seen of the wider world beyond the Circle, it most certainly is not." Shiyana's mind goes to, and face reflects, pity for the poor troll on the slave block.

"The Balance in this world of Men is most definitely...out of whack. Whether this was the reason for my being sent here in the first place, I can not say. But am inclined to think, and feel in my heart, that it must be at least part of that purpose."

Odo turns toward his companions; his lips pressed tightly together. A popping sounds emits from his mouth as he goes to speak.

I understand that traveling with me can be difficult. The Light of Pholtus can, at times, be blinding. But in a world as dark as this, someone must stand for what is good.

Shiyana chuckles lightly at the cleric of Men's gods self-deprecation. "If you are 'difficult', Brother Odo, I have yet to see it. As to your Light and Darkness, as I said, I must strive for equal parts. But I think, by Oak and Ash, we have a far road ahead of us, good Brother, before we can hope to near such a mark. Yet, hope we must."

The lovely half-elf druidess looks at the others and back at Odo, "Are we agreed then?" She looks back to Rathmore with a polite grin.

Leif

Adventurer
Rathmore the Scribe

"Excellent! I agree to abide by your requirements, which are entirely reasonable. There may be times when it is difficult to please both the cause of 'good' and the cause of 'balance,' but I shall endeavor to do this. Actually, I think you and I shall find that such larger, all-encompassing concepts really have little to do with the nature of the activities I find for you, and more with the manner in which you pursue them."

Remove ads