• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lesser Bull Strength

Urklore

First Post
Would anyone see it to overly game balancing to have lesser versions of the stat mod spells (such as Bull's Strength, Eagle's Splendor, etc) that where 1st level spells? They could add +2 to the stat for 1/minute a level.

Wik

First Post
Urklore said:
Would anyone see it to overly game balancing to have lesser versions of the stat mod spells (such as Bull's Strength, Eagle's Splendor, etc) that where 1st level spells? They could add +2 to the stat for 1/minute a level.

Well, I dunno.

Enlarge Person would be better than your lesser bull strength - +2 STR, *AND* your size goes up by one category (even more damage!).

I don't think it'd be a problem in a game; the only downside I see is that it makes a cleric an ability buffer even earlier in the game.

Sejs

First Post
Urklore said:

Compared to Enlarge and Fist of Stone?

Not a problem at all, sounds like a lovely idea.

greywulf

First Post
Cow Strength? Calf Strength maybe?

The Spell Compendium offers Fist of Stone as a1st level spell which offers a whopping +6 STR for 1 minute for the purposes of attack rolls, grappling, and breaking or crushing items. And you get a 1d6 slam attack into the bargain.

If such a powerful spell as that is ok for 1st level I don't see anything wrong with +2 STR for 1 minute/level.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I want a Cantrip that adds +1 to 1 Stat for 1 round only. Sure, it would be almost completely useless, widely mocked on the boards, and never selected as one of your memorized spells. But, when the rare moment happens that the PC misses by a hair, and his odd-numbered stat falls just short of the needed bonus, the GM could say "Awwwww, if only you had memorized and cast (name of Cantrip)."

P.S. I think I'm kidding, I think....

greywulf

First Post
TarionzCousin said:
I want a Cantrip that adds +1 to 1 Stat for 1 round only. Sure, it would be almost completely useless, widely mocked on the boards, and never selected as one of your memorized spells. But, when the rare moment happens that the PC misses by a hair, and his odd-numbered stat falls just short of the needed bonus, the GM could say "Awwwww, if only you had memorized and cast (name of Cantrip)."

Works for me. Call it "Boost" or somesuch. Nothing wrong with an increase of 1 for a round if your DEX is 11........

Sejs

First Post
TarionzCousin said:

Well-timed use of Guidance would cover most uses of the spell.

That and cantip potentially = your level in hp could be a tad sticky. Best to avoid it. :p

greywulf said:
Cow Strength? Calf Strength maybe?
Calf's Strength!
Kitten's Grace!
Cub's Endurance!
Kit's Cunning!
Owlet's Wisdom!
Eaglet's Splendor!

Perfectly fitting, all! :D

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
SRD said:
This spell imbues the subject with a touch of divine guidance. The creature gets a +1 competence bonus on a single attack roll, saving throw, or skill check. It must choose to use the bonus before making the roll to which it applies.
Yeah, Guidance would do it, but it doesn't have the panache of "Kitten's Grace." :D

Remove ads