D&D 5E Lessons learned

Warpiglet

Adventurer
So I go back a way but not all they way. I started with basic in 2nd grade. Had no idea what was up.

The Satanic panic briefly got in the way for a while but before you knew it basic mixed with AD&D was taking place. We were still clueless!

But then the good times started to roll. Late 80s and then on to 1999 or so AD&D was on like Donkey Kong.

We skipped 2nd ironically? Because we thought it was watered down. They are demons and devils damn it and we can take it!

We had a blast. I had the luxury to play with friends. All nighters baby. Sometimes with adult beverages. Usually with fast food. The cheers, the high fives, the characters that we still talk about! The most fun ever.

We played some 3e for a bit, too when I would be home for grad school. All dwarf party with a dwarf wizard!? That’ll make an AD&D player perk up!

And then the long dark of Moria, er, of boring rather. Dissertations, marriages, money woes, early career demands....no D&D for years...years.

And then 5e. Wow. A Renaissance, a rebirth. And yet subject to some of the same old woes. Things have gotten better in a lot of ways.

The prompts to build some personality are nice starting points. But they are not enforced on any deep level. You have to choose immersion.

In years past, campaigns and parties ended all of the time. After a Pause in gaming, interest wanes. But in a few cases it stays strong.

Even now I often talk about what I want to play, even bringing it up here at times for discussion. But I am slow to pull the trigger. A lot of ideas are abandoned. And honestly it’s for the best.

I can get interested in synergy of abilities or quirks or novelty but it fades. I have found I have to like the vibe and personality (or dislike it!) of a character for me to have a long relationship with them.

I am not into high drama without dice. Remember I am from the 70s/80s as a player. And I like to fight!

For me, longer interest is only held in the enjoyment of the role. I truly enjoy chucking dice when I smite with my warlock. I get a thrill about close fights and rolling 20s. But I now know for myself, I have to have a character to play.

Did not in my youth realize the importance for my fun! I am not looking down on staff and shield coffeelock cheese per se. I just know mechanics are not enough by a long shot. Not even novel ‘builds.’

If anyone is really getting burned out on D&D I would recommend the approach of finding a character (not build alone) that strikes you.

This has really drawn me back in with more ability to have campaigns last.

Finally, I have stayed in the game long enough to get my kids intrigued. My goal will be to help them learn the joy of character...right before our dwarven warriors start splitting some skulls!

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
Different people play for different reasons but I think one of the reasons I've stuck with D&D as long as I have (with a similar break in play) is because I enjoy the RP aspect of it more than the mechanics.

For me the build should enable the character I envision, not the other way around. Of course the options I envision are directed by the possible builds but first thing I do is think of what kind of interesting "hook" I can some up with for a character.

Once I have a concept - this is where I sometimes look at backgrounds for inspiration - then I start thinking about personality and how I'm going to portray them. Haunted One background? What happened? How's the PC dealing with it? Happy-go-lucky in total denial? Desperate to ally myself with any power to fight back? Change my name, disguise myself, make up a fake background run away as far as possible? All sorts of options.

Of course I have far more ideas of hooks than I have time to play. On the other hand I always need another NPC for when I DM. :unsure:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Yup, I'm in the same boat. Concept first all the way. I might pay attention to not building a crap character, but I don't really care about optimization in the least. Some people do, and I know I used to, but it's not my cuppa anymore. I'm still trying to wrangle my sons out of the 'everything is a joke' phase of character creation. No, son, you can't name your Loxodon Alchemist Jizzy Gillespe... That's also a phase I went through, many moons ago, but now they aren't brand new anymore I find it makes me heave deep sighs of at least mock annoyance. We'll get there.

R_J_K75

Legend
No, son, you can't name your Loxodon Alchemist Jizzy Gillespe... That's also a phase I went through, many moons ago,

Hell my players still do this, so if you cant beat, them, join them. I've stopped trying to make up respectful NPC names because A) they just don't care, and B) they'll just twist it into something perverted anyway. At least if I beat them at their own game the original NPC name sticks...sometimes. Regardless its become so passé at this point that none of the names are very memorable or funny and it really does take away from the fun and immersion for me at least.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Add me to the list of concept first, not worried about optimization or the risk of...gasp...having one less +1 bonus to something as another player has. To me, characters are characters. They have personalities. Not just stat blocks. And what inspires me are the roleplaying aspects and features, not necessarily the mechanics. There is overlap, sure, like if I want to play a weapon master, it helps achieve that in the game if the character has abilities or bonuses to weapon attacks. But IMO, the math is there to support the concept, not be the primary focus and end all, be all.

I am much more inspired to play a shadow sorcerer with flavorful abilities and personality than a "name-doesn't-matter" sorcerer who has the highest DPR. Sorlocks? Only if the fluff supports it in an interesting and cool way.

*edit as an aside, my path matches the OP almost exactly. Started in basic in 1981, then did a mix of that with AD&D, then in the late 90s/2000s didn't play hardly at all for the same reasons (and we still played AD&D when we did), but with 5e, my gaming has increased.

Stormonu

Legend
Been a rocky road since 80' for me, been through the various editions, burnout and return.

Sometimes you have to step away from the game - burnout, life or whatever. I've found playing with new (younger) players generally invigorates me, getting to watch them makes those discoveries in wonder that I'm so jaded about from years of play and getting to see it with fresh eyes and appreciation again.

My brother and I joke I had a family because if I couldn't recruit gamers, I'd grow them myself. The kids are 19 & 16 respectively, and have been playing D&D and like since the oldest was about 10 - and now he DMs his own group.

One of my oldest, 2nd longest running campaign had characters named Link, Mordor, Diamond, Emerald and Bavarian. And, the latest character I'm about to start is the centaur named ... Enourmuus.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Add me to the list of concept first, not worried about optimization or the risk of...gasp...having one less +1 bonus to something as another player has. To me, characters are characters. They have personalities. Not just stat blocks. And what inspires me are the roleplaying aspects and features, not necessarily the mechanics. There is overlap, sure, like if I want to play a weapon master, it helps achieve that in the game if the character has abilities or bonuses to weapon attacks. But IMO, the math is there to support the concept, not be the primary focus and end all, be all.

I am much more inspired to play a shadow sorcerer with flavorful abilities and personality than a "name-doesn't-matter" sorcerer who has the highest DPR. Sorlocks? Only if the fluff supports it in an interesting and cool way.

*edit as an aside, my path matches the OP almost exactly. Started in basic in 1981, then did a mix of that with AD&D, then in the late 90s/2000s didn't play hardly at all for the same reasons (and we still played AD&D when we did), but with 5e, my gaming has increased.

how funny! Very similar path! A lot of times your posts resonate with me and it could be a part of the reason

the Jester

Legend
I go even older-school than concept first- I roll my stats in order before I even begin to think about concept. Well, that isn't quite true; I have half a dozen concepts or more squirreled away in my mind for future characters if the stats support them. But I love rolling stats and then seeing what I can make from it! The first 5e pc I got to play was pretty stat-poor, with his high stat being Con, of all things- so I made a gnome wizard called Friendo the Mediocre Mage. OMG he was so much fun!

Yeah, I'm gaming more than I have in ages, probably since I was a kid and had the time. And not just D&D (though, yeah, I primarily play D&D). 5e has really opened the floodgates for many other games.

And then 5e. Wow. A Renaissance, a rebirth. And yet subject to some of the same old woes. Things have gotten better in a lot of ways.

When players do this is one of my big pet peeves. With an unnamed monster, sure, go for it. But if I've given a name out and they just make up whatever jokey name they want, that gets on my nerves. To me, it feels like they're just not investing in the world we're all trying to bring to life. I've been known to say things like "I'm sorry, there's no Lord Beardy MacBeardface here. Who did you want to talk to?"

I've stopped trying to make up respectful NPC names because A) they just don't care, and B) they'll just twist it into something perverted anyway.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Yeah, I'm gaming more than I have in ages, probably since I was a kid and had the time. And not just D&D (though, yeah, I primarily play D&D). 5e has really opened the floodgates for many other games.

When players do this is one of my big pet peeves. With an unnamed monster, sure, go for it. But if I've given a name out and they just make up whatever jokey name they want, that gets on my nerves. To me, it feels like they're just not investing in the world we're all trying to bring to life. I've been known to say things like "I'm sorry, there's no Lord Beardy MacBeardface here. Who did you want to talk to?"

I am with you. Silly names sort of messes with my immersion. The comedy I enjoy is usually organic. Like a halfling pushing someone off a bridge in a fight or whatever usually gets some laughs.

Remove ads