• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Lessons learned

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
There are quite a few systems where I love to just make fun, off-the-wall characters and don't give a darn about the mechanics; Fate, several versions of PbtA games, even some OSR games.

But for proper D&D, I love to find some novel, interesting mechanical hook (a druid who can only use fire spells, a battle commander who never unsheathes their weapon), find the best way to express that mechanically (usually through homebrewing) and then marry that onto some quirky yet grounded concept that will fun to play over multiple sessions. That's where the game really shines to me. But ultimately, every player has to find their own bliss.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I am with you. Silly names sort of messes with my immersion.
She's recently become my longest-serving character overall, in terms of number of adventures played, and still goes by the very simple name she started with: X.

Sure, she has a much longer name with an x in it somewhere; but she's always just been X in play.

Crazy thing is, other than the name she's turned out to be one of the more serious characters I've had.

Of course, 'X' is also our DM's shorthand for 'dead' or 'died', leading to occasional confusing notations that read "X-X"... :)

D&D is funny and absurd enough on its own without someone trying too hard and re-naming every single NPC and legendary item something dumb.

I am with you. Silly names sort of messes with my immersion. The comedy I enjoy is usually organic. Like a halfling pushing someone off a bridge in a fight or whatever usually gets some laughs.

Oofta

Legend
She's recently become my longest-serving character overall, in terms of number of adventures played, and still goes by the very simple name she started with: X.

Sure, she has a much longer name with an x in it somewhere; but she's always just been X in play.

Crazy thing is, other than the name she's turned out to be one of the more serious characters I've had.

Of course, 'X' is also our DM's shorthand for 'dead' or 'died', leading to occasional confusing notations that read "X-X"... :)

I once had a dwarf (more-or-less named using a generator) called Kilzim. Lead to a bit of confusion now and then. :)

R_J_K75

Legend
When players do this is one of my big pet peeves. With an unnamed monster, sure, go for it. But if I've given a name out and they just make up whatever jokey name they want, that gets on my nerves. To me, it feels like they're just not investing in the world we're all trying to bring to life. I've been known to say things like "I'm sorry, there's no Lord Beardy MacBeardface here. Who did you want to talk to?"

I've done the same at times, but mostly found that the people I've played with over the years play for escapism and the social comradery over a few beers. They don't take the game too seriously and we tend to deviate to side conversations from time to time as well. The lesson I've learned is the more I try to get players to maintain immersion the less people want to play. So I take the approach as long as we're all having fun and people are coming back week to week, its all good.

Warpiglet

Adventurer

That’s not a silly name!

Once a sig other Of a player went with something like Sir Tomato nose poopy face.

My friend, the DM should have nixed that.

Big difference :)

Warpiglet

Adventurer
So it happened again!

In another thread I talked about the power of war domain clerics and was leaning toward playing one.

But I just could not get a mental picture of him...I knew I wanted to leverage great weapon master. I knew I wanted to be in melee. I liked the damage etc. but it did not click. So I waited.

And then it came to me. I will play Kylin, apostate of pelor...dark priest of Wee Jas!

I think he has a personality issue that did not let him get along with the order of Pelor. Insecure, proud at times...a temper. But why?

Something bad happened in his earlier life. Urchin? He was adopted by Pelorites but could not conform.

He grew a little plump with their care...his cherubic face can turn from jovial to angry swiftly if insulted.

In any event he ended up expelled. It did not sit well with him.

Wee Jas offered power with discipline. And his drive to make something of himself helped him succeed.

No longer a skinny whelp, he relished learning to fight instead of run. He focused on melee as much as his arcana study.

He can do well with friends who respect him. He can be kind to children, but is unlikely to risk his life for any stranger or mission of mercy unless the aims of wee Jas are furthered (magic to gain or stopping a lawless spellcaster).

I think I get my melee cleric this way:

Variant human, LN.

Heavily armored feat. Fights with mace. Str, Wis and con primary. Average dex and Int. Low score in Chr.

Probably GFB and BB though acid splash would be interesting. I imagine a dark miracle of him vomiting the acid like a dragon! I might have to take it.

My alt build would have lower con and 12 dex...with medium armor...and resilient? Maybe he did not get THAT pudgy?

Anyway, I can see him, his temperamental attitude, his round face.

Glad I did not just pick the war domain and gwm for hack and slash. I liked the mechanics but was not inspired.

I think this conflicted priest will be fun to role play. A better choice for me long term...

And importantly, he will do well in melee. The desire to fight as cleric started this whole thing afterall!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
That’s not a silly name!
It was at the time.

As a spindly mage type I expected her lifespan to be just as short if not shorter than the somewhat-tougher one-hit wonder she was replacing, meaning she'd be referred to as 'X' soon enough anyway. I just named her X up front to get it over with.

And of course, she then lasted for ages. :)

Once a sig other Of a player went with something like Sir Tomato nose poopy face.
I've seen some awful names over the years, but if nothing else they're always memorable - often more so than the characters who bore them.

Yeah, a certain amount of joking is to be expected, and a mean DM will only drive players away. Once in a while, I can deal with the joke re-naming, but when the same player does it over and over again, it really gets to me.

I've done the same at times, but mostly found that the people I've played with over the years play for escapism and the social comradery over a few beers. They don't take the game too seriously and we tend to deviate to side conversations from time to time as well. The lesson I've learned is the more I try to get players to maintain immersion the less people want to play. So I take the approach as long as we're all having fun and people are coming back week to week, its all good.

Remove ads