Let's Not Save The World...Again

It used to take a lot less to make us feel heroic. Guns and ships and criminals used to be good enough, as in the stories of Rudyard Kipling, Arthur Conan Doyle, Robert Louis Stevenson, and even James Bond as written by Ian Fleming, not as he's known from movies. In pulps, it was enough to defeat a gang or an unusual villain. The "science fiction" adventure of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne is surprisingly tame by contemporary standards. Now we want everything in movies to be flashy and completely unrealistic, approaching the ridiculous, as in most comic book movies and other action movies (Indiana Jones IV, anyone?).

It used to take a lot less to make us feel heroic. Guns and ships and criminals used to be good enough, as in the stories of Rudyard Kipling, Arthur Conan Doyle, Robert Louis Stevenson, and even James Bond as written by Ian Fleming, not as he's known from movies. In pulps, it was enough to defeat a gang or an unusual villain. The "science fiction" adventure of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne is surprisingly tame by contemporary standards. Now we want everything in movies to be flashy and completely unrealistic, approaching the ridiculous, as in most comic book movies and other action movies (Indiana Jones IV, anyone?).
Jaded: "tired, bored, or lacking enthusiasm, typically after having had too much of something;"
"feeling or showing a lack of interest and excitement caused by having done or experienced too much of something"

We see it in video games: "save the world (or galaxy)" is a pretty common, almost mundane, motivation. It's not enough any more to rescue the kidnapped person or prevent a dastardly deed.

"Saving the world" creates a cheap sense of grandeur. It's the Age of Inflation, everything has to be "stunning" or "awesome," everybody is "saving the world." I call that jaded.

I played in a campaign where, invariably, we faced such waves of monsters that few of us (sometimes only my character) were left standing. The GM evidently manipulated numbers so that this would happen. But it became almost tedious rather than exciting.

We lose impact when it's always "save the world", or always any particular outcome/objective. Pacing is vital both in games and on the screen, and good pacing requires alternate tension and relaxation. If every story is “epic”, epic becomes normal, not extraordinary. If we always save the world, that becomes mundane. Games (like life) benefit from variation in tension/relaxation. The contrast makes them both more intense and more enjoyable. Good pacing would mean alternating the Save the World objectives with others at a lesser scale. (For an under-3-minutes explanation of pacing see https://youtu.be/QAPkcr4b0EE.)

What can a GM do? Set expectations from the campaign beginning. Choose players (and adventures) wisely. Make "Great Objectives" the purpose of an entire campaign, not of each adventure. The threat of death, or of losing all their stuff, should be enough to thrill adventurers without resort to saving the world.

In my campaigns, stretching back more than 40 years, we've never saved the world; an entire campaign might be about saving a city or country, but that didn't happen in every adventure (nor any particular adventure, really). Saving the world calls for really experienced (high-level) characters, and few get that high.

If it isn't enough to risk death, regardless of objective, then there may not be much you can do about jaded players. Or maybe there's no risk of death in your campaign? That could lead to boredom: no extreme lows.

References:
Extra Credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LScL4CWe5E
Gamasutra: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4032/beyond_pacing_games_arent_.php

contributed by Lewis Pulispher

S'mon

Legend
I think this is not a weakness of "save the world" but rather a weakness of the GM! A prioritising of the setting over the play of the game.

I'm happy to accept "pemertonian"! - I think [MENTION=463]S'mon[/MENTION] coined it a few years ago now, for relatively lowbrow, D&D-fantasy scene-framing GMing.

Well I'm not criticising your Dusk War 'save the universe' campaign :) - clearly that is the scope & stakes of the campaign. But Buffy-style save-the-world-this-week plots can feel cheap and cheesy. And failure which allows continued play in the failure-state is very valuable for making stakes feel real, I find. So potential loss of a town or nation generally I find is a better stake, for most games.

Yes, 'twas I came up with "Pemertonian Scene-Framing" as a description for your GMing style. :)

S'mon

Legend
Oh, gee, it must be Friday again.

Hrm, world or universe spanning fiction - Moorcock, Tolkien, the aforementioned Lensmen series, heck, even Conan saves the world from this or that god a few times.

I don't recall Conan ever saving the world? Do you have any examples? Maybe he did in some Marvel comic I haven't read. In the REH stories it seems doubtful the gods even exist and I doubt Conan ever met any or even experienced any sort of divine intervention, far less saved the world from them. I can imagine Marvel-Superhero-Conan beating up Set, though. :D

Hussar

Legend
[MENTION=463]S'mon[/MENTION] - It may have been in the Marvel comics. Fair enough. I'll admit, my Conan experiences is far more De Camp. I didn't read the original Howard stories until much later.

The problem I have with the article is the same as I have with the other articles. These articles take a very, very narrow view of the genre and then try to make broad claims. And, I gotta think that its deliberate.

I mean, the article talks about how back in the day,

It used to take a lot less to make us feel heroic. Guns and ships and criminals used to be good enough, as in the stories of Rudyard Kipling, Arthur Conan Doyle, Robert Louis Stevenson, and even James Bond as written by Ian Fleming, not as he's known from movies. In pulps, it was enough to defeat a gang or an unusual villain.

But, that's not even true. We've got Burroughs and "A Princess of Mars" and subsequent stories being published in 1912. World spanning plot. Hardly a local story about "guns and ships and criminals". Never minding traditions like Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers. Or H. Beam Piper. And, of course, there's the grand daddy of fantasy, Tolkien, banging out The Lord of the Rings in 1954.

How can we argue that there has been this idea that "it used to take a lot less to make us feel heroic" when there have been these big, sweeping stories as part of the genre since pretty much day 1?

Shock and surprise, yet again, we've got another non-trend. Broad, sweeping, epic style speculative fiction has been a part of the genre since the beginning.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I think there is a place for both incredibly high stakes goals and lower stakes goals in most RPG campaigns. Neither is absolutely required, but I would say that having at least a bit of both is a smart thing. Especially if the protagonists are saving the world on a weekly basis; if that's the case, then dialing things back and making it about saving a town or maybe just one person is probably a good idea.

But saving the world is not inherently bad for stories, or for an RPG campaign. My campaign has saving the world as the likely goal of the whole campaign. Actually, saving the multiverse, most likely. It's a crazy multiversal campaign with multiple worlds in peril. But that's kind of the end game.....the campaign is designed around many short term goals which are much smaller in scope.

It all depends on the tone you want, and the style you're going for. I don't always make the stakes so high. But I can say that the last time I had an "end of the world" scenario in a campaign, the PCs ultimately failed to a large extent....and it became about how many people could they save and evacuate before the world died. And my players would likely say that's the most memorable campaign we've ever run.

S'mon

Legend
[MENTION=463]S'mon[/MENTION] - It may have been in the Marvel comics. Fair enough. I'll admit, my Conan experiences is far more De Camp. I didn't read the original Howard stories until much later.

The problem I have with the article is the same as I have with the other articles. These articles take a very, very narrow view of the genre and then try to make broad claims. And, I gotta think that its deliberate.

I mean, the article talks about how back in the day,

But, that's not even true. We've got Burroughs and "A Princess of Mars" and subsequent stories being published in 1912. World spanning plot. Hardly a local story about "guns and ships and criminals". Never minding traditions like Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers. Or H. Beam Piper. And, of course, there's the grand daddy of fantasy, Tolkien, banging out The Lord of the Rings in 1954.

How can we argue that there has been this idea that "it used to take a lot less to make us feel heroic" when there have been these big, sweeping stories as part of the genre since pretty much day 1?

Shock and surprise, yet again, we've got another non-trend. Broad, sweeping, epic style speculative fiction has been a part of the genre since the beginning.

I agree, and I run a bunch of broad epic sweeping stuff. But I get a bit burned out on WoTC "Save the World from Demon Cult #6078".

Just thinking about this earlier, I think the key is that what's to be saved should match the scope of the setting. It's ok for John Carter to save princess, city, even planet, or for Luke to save the Rebellion. But it would look odd for Sherlock Holmes to save the planet. I remember this criticism directed against League of Extraordinary Gentlemen #2 - it seemed wrong for Mina Harker & Alan Quatermain, Jekyll/Hyde etc to be fighting off a full scale War of the Worlds Martian invasion, whereas fighting Fu Manchu in #1 was fine. The latter seemed within the appropriate scope for these characters, the former didn't.

Likewise Buffy saving a friend felt a lot more real than Buffy saving The World for the umpteenth time.

With D&D there's a natural progression of scope - saving the world feels a lot more natural at 17th
level than at 3rd.

pemerton

Legend
I get a bit burned out on WoTC "Save the World from Demon Cult #6078".
I tend to avoid that stuff. It seems pretty ordinary, as far as storytelling goes! (And part of that is that it's all meant to be happening in about the same place at about the same time.)

I think the key is that what's to be saved should match the scope of the setting.

<snip>

With D&D there's a natural progression of scope - saving the world feels a lot more natural at 17th level than at 3rd.
Agree with that.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads