• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Let's run a module: The Whispering Cairns (spoiler discussion)

IronWolf

blank
Crothian said:
Cool, can you bring it Thursday then? And I hope you haven'ty read it, but if you have I'll just have to kill you or just make things a bit different and keep you off your feet..... :lol:

Yep, I can bring it. I have skimmed it but no where near to the point of knowing everything about it. Probably just adapting it to your homebrew a bit would be enough to keep me from knowing too much. You may want to see how much 'BC' knows about it, I think he has considered running it at some point (I think he considered it for the Origins one-shot).

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
We just started going through it last week and it is a pretty good adventure. The only problem I can foresee is keeping the PCs interested when they get a little discouraged because the Cairn can cause that. If they continue on, it really picks up steam. Btw, the Age of Worms Overload is available on the paizo website and it really helps to set the campaign up.

Steel_Wind

Legend
I will be running the module as a break from my current campaign.

Whether or not that becomes a permanent break remains to be seen.

It is my intention to run the mod more or less as is, drawing upon "Worm Food" in Dragon and Overload as well as other posts on the Age of Worms forum at Paizo and here on ENworld. I will use the RAW to the letter.

The declaration of my running a mod "more or less as is" is throwing down the gauntlet on my part. I have never run a module "more or less as is" in 27 years of gaming.

The stated intention of refusing to tinker with the mod or the RAW is a HUGE departure for me. It's intended to be a grand experiment to see if my players have fun with their D&D, served without a side dish and straight-up.

"We'll See".

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

derbacher

Explorer
delericho said:
Well, I'll run it one day, but not until I'm ready to tackle the Age of Worms as a whole.

Ditto. Which may be a while, as I'm currently running on-going campaigns that are low to mid-level.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Since I've finished the module already, should I share my thoughts and experiences with it now, or should I wait until more people have a chance to play it?

Demiurge out.

Steel_Wind

Legend
demiurge1138 said:
Since I've finished the module already, should I share my thoughts and experiences with it now, or should I wait until more people have a chance to play it?

I'd be interested in your thoughts now.

In particular:

1 - size of party
2- classes of PCs
3 - areas too easy/ too hard - any deaths?
4- XP at end of module
5- Did you change things - if so - what?
6 - Hooks used
7- Did you use Worm Food's suggested Mining office map as a home base? Did you set up encounters there to clear it out?
8- swarms - ok or too much?
9- puzzles - ok or too much?
10- favorite part
11- least fave
12 - setting used and any conversion recommendations?
13- did you find it fun? did your players find it fun?
14- effective strategies
15- big mistakes

Overall Opinion?

Crothian

First Post
demiurge1138 said:

Demiurge out.

THe idea is to talk about the module, so talk away. To be safe I'm going to place a spoiler warning in the title

ltclnlbrain

First Post
I've been running in as a PbP game for the past two months now. The party has nearly finished their exploration of the Cairn, and they are now heading into town to look for the Land family's skeletons. You can find the game here.

1 - Size of party:
8 PCs

2- Classes of PCs:
Barbarian, cleric (Pelor), cleric (Wee Jas), monk, paladin, rogue, wizard, illusionist

3 - Areas too easy/ too hard - any deaths?
So far the group hasn't had too many problems with the module. This is probably because I haven't done any scaling, and there are eight party members. The acid beetle swarms have the potential to cause serious problems for unprepared PCs, though, and the underwater combats with the elemental and ghoul can be very dangerous. The most dangerous encounter so far has been with the owlbear, because the party split up (always a bad idea) and only the barbarian, illusionist, and cleric of Wee Jas fought it. Due to a series of bad rolls, the barbarian and illusionist nearly died in the encounter (and would have without a bit of fudging).

4- XP at end of module
Well, they're not at the end yet, but so far the PCs have amassed 1069 XP each.

5- Did you change things - if so - what?
I didn't make any real changes in the module. I did have the party encounter the rival adventurers suggested in the "Backdrop: Diamond Lake" article.

6 - Hooks used
I used the suggested hook in the adventure. I typed up a short background for each of the PCs and had the paladin and the cleric of Wee Jas find the map for the Whispering Cairn and invite their friends to join.

7- Did you use Worm Food's suggested Mining office map as a home base? Did you set up encounters there to clear it out?
I got the issue of Dragon with Worm Food after the party had already started exploring the Cairn, and so far they haven't shown any interest whatsoever in the mining office. They sleep in the tomb. :(

8- swarms - ok or too much?
Ok, as long as the party is prepared.

9- puzzles - ok or too much?
Ok; the party enjoyed figuring them out. It's a welcome change from mindless dungeon crawling.

10- favorite part
The part the group hasn't got to yet--the encounter with Filge in the observatory.

11- least fave
Um, I don't know. The fact that at first the party basically ignored the fact that the Land family ignored the open graves and missing bones kind of irked me. >< But that has nothing to do with the module, just the players.

12 - setting used and any conversion recommendations?
Kept it in Greyhawk. I think it fits best there.

13- did you find it fun? did your players find it fun?
I'm enjoying running it, and the players say they're enjoying playing it, so yes :)

14- effective strategies
Tying a rope around a PC when she went to explore underwater. Color spray vs. the first encounter with wolves, and igniting flasks of oil to use against the swarms. Searching everything for traps. :)

15- big mistakes
Touching the stone "egg" in the Lair of the Architects. Splitting up and getting mauled by an owlbear. :)

Remove ads