• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Let's run a module: The Whispering Cairns (spoiler discussion)

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Alright, Steel Wind, that's a good place to start. Let's dance.

1. The party was of four players.

2. The four characters were a dwarf fighter/wizard, a dwarf fighter/cleric, a dwarf fighter/rogue, and a dwarf ranger. Notice a pattern? The group decided that they wanted to do an all dwarves game, and they did.

3. Too easy/too hard? The fight with the acid beetle swarms was difficult, because they were only level one, and the fighter/wizard's first level was in... fighter. So no AoE spells, and nobody packed any alchemist's fire. They ended up beating that one by opening the coffin and triggering the burning hands on themselves and on the swarm.

The wind tunnel trap nearly killed everybody. The only reason they survived was because, noticing the dagger marks in the tunnel and the broken body below it, the dwarves used their rope and pitons to make a net at the tunnel's mouth. Eventually, it gave way, but was enough of a cushion to keep them alive (barely).

The fight with the wounded owlbear was almost a total disaster, with three players in negative hit points by the end of it. Likewise, the battle with Filge was nearly a disaster; only a lucky critical it on Filge and the fact that, as dwarves, they all had good armor, kept them alive (those zombies are very, very effective meat shields).

The only death was during the final fight with the wind warriors. The fighter-mage killed himself, on a critical miss gone horribly wrong, due to homebrew crit-failure rules. This, combined with the fact that the PCs were rolling very poorly, nearly doomed them all. I know I pulled a few punches and turned a few hits into misses to keep them alive.

Nothing, as far as I know, was "too easy". There are some jobber fights (the skeletons in Filge's observatory, for instance), but those are good for pace.

4. By the end, they were somewhere in the middle of 3rd level.

5. I changed little of the module. Some character interactions went a bit differently than they did in the module, due to roleplaying. For instance, when the PCs were trying to find the Land's bones, they contacted Merrovin Bask specifically, then fought with Kullen and his cronies when they got upset that they didn't get part of the deal (and killed Bask for the PCs, incidentally). In addition, the party's relationship with Allustan is a lot more distant than the module assumes, as a few lucky 20s told the party a good deal about the Cairn's history and the nature of the Wind Dukes.

The only actual battle change I made in the module was cutting the second bombadier beetle; the one that's in the room with the animated statue.

6. The hook I used was profit, straight up. All the dwarves were disillusioned workers for the Greysmere Covenant. One of them, the rogue, had stolen an old map from the company detailing the location of the Whispering Cairn, which no longer appears on the offical maps of the area. During their exploration of the Cairn, they realized (well, the fighter-mage realized, as an economic expert) realized that it would be worth a fortune as a tourist attraction, and thus were the Adventure Capitalists created. They intend to buy the land rights to the parcel where the Whispering Cairn sits from the Free City of Greyhawk and turn it into a museum. Little do they know, of course, how much trouble this will be...

7. I didn't have that issue of Dragon until after they'd already cleared out the Cairn, but I did use it, as it is described very briefly in the module itself. Instead of playing out the restoration of the abandoned office, I used its state of decrepitness as a source of comedy (this is a fairly light game, if you couldn't tell).

8. The swarms were a bit too much, as I described above. A party that has a few flasks of alchemist's fire, a mage with burning hands, or even carrying a few torches (dwarves need no torches!) would have a much easier time of it than the Adventure Capitalists did.

9. The puzzles went smoothly. Everyone seemed to pretty much enjoy them, and they were solved with little difficulty.

10. The most fun they had was probably in Filge's dining room, sadly enough. In the module, the necromancer Filge has a dinner table holding the zombified corpses of all his old enemies. When somebody sits at the head of the table, the zombies come to life, miming a meal and spouting programmed sycophantic comments.

Now, one of the characters accidentally sat in the chair while casing the table for silverware (rolled a 1 on a Search check). Once the zombies started talking, everyone was very briefly freaked out, then were delighted. They intended to find out how to reprogram the zombies, then travel the countryside with the Zombie Tiki Jamboree Show, as it was quickly dubbed. It took me telling them out of character that they'd be attacked with pitchforks and the defeated Filge's in character begging to be left with something that convinced them to drop it.

11. Least fun part? The final fight and its aftermath. The ascent into the True Tomb and the getting of the talisman of the sphere fell a tad bit flat. Although they did freak out in a most delightful way once Allustan told them what they had found.

12. I set it in "Greyhawk". In other words, I played it as-is, with the Greyhawk gods and a tad bit of backstory despite the fact that I know very little of the setting.

13. Everyone had fun. In fact, one of my players was the girlfriend of a regular, who had previously given up on D&D and tagged along because her boyfriend was going. I am proud to say that she enjoyed herself and I brought her back into the gaming fold.

14. Effective strategies? Dwarf it up. This involves taking 20 often, searching in 5ft intervals when taking 20 isn't effective, and teaming up on opponents. Leave no stone unturned, and take advantage of the dungeon's own amenities. Also, tying a rope around everyone's chest so as to not get lost when exploring underwater (dwarves hold their breath and walk on the bottom!)

15. Big mistakes? Diving for shelter from the beetle swarm into the crushing elevator trap (the cleric only barely survived that). Trying to pass through the wind tunnel without finding and lighting all the lanterns. Not bringing alchemist's fire, or even torches. Leaving Filge alive ;)

I love this module and look forward to running the next 11. I can honestly say that some parts of it rank high in my list of DMing experiences.

Demiurge out.

Last edited:

Pants

First Post
I'm curious to see how the encounter with the ghost turned out. That's always struck me as one of the 'weaker links' in the story.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Thanks for the detailed replies guys.

I expect to be running Whispering Cairn for a group of 5 or 6 PCs and so I will have to increase the CRs a little to compensate.

The swarms were my largest concern, given the level of the party.

One neat tie-in that perhaps some people here did not see: there is a post on Paizo's site on how a DM tied in Mad God's Key as the prelude to AoW. Essentially, the key recovered from that adventutre is a key to the Whispering Cairn. A reward to the PCs from the library for a partly destroyed book is a map to a nearby temple (part of the map to Diamond Lake showing where the Cairn is).

There is more to it in terms of cults and temples and who's who - but it seemed a reasonably elegant attempt to tie-in with Jason Buhlman's strong first level adventure from Dungeon #114 - Mad God's Key.

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Oh, I like the Mad God's Key tie-in. That's pretty clever.

Also, Pants, the ghost didn't strike me as that big of a problem. It possessed the unconcious body of our rogue (he went in solo with a rope tied around him to find the trap they suspected was there, he got hit by an iron sphere, knocking him straight into the mouth of the waiting grick). He gave his spiel and, although the party was dubious, realized they'd be better off helping the ghost than fighting him, as they only had one magic weapon and no magic missile spells (a little metagamey, yes, but logically so). Although there was a slight push to just ignore the ghost, catch a coach to the Free City and buy a scroll of knock, it didn't come to pass.

Demiurge out.

Jaws

First Post
The ghost is a cool opportunity to role-play while within a dungeon. It's horrific gaze messed up the sorcerer but wasn't able to malevolence inside his body. The time it took the sorcerer to rest and regain ability points, that is when the other PCs cleaned up the old mine office.

Whenever there was down time (like when PCs did something in Diamond Lake or recovering from ability point loss), thats when they worked on the mine office. They have completed the work on it. All they need now is some furniture.

They just defeated Kullen and the gang and will be going after Filge next.

The players and I are having a great time.

Peace and smiles :)

j.

Crothian

First Post
Sounds like people have been having fun with it. So, anyone go out and get the magazine to hopefully be able to run it? I am getting it Thursday night and will hopefully have it run within the next few session if I can snare the PCs to go the right direction. My goal is to fit it into my campaign and just lead the party to it with some bread crumbs, but without having read it I have no idea how that will work.

Steel_Wind

Legend
1 - Size of party

I ran the adventure for a varying group pf players depending on how many showed up. This actually worked out fairly well, as I started the campaign in media res with a fight outside the abandoned mine office. I also created a mini-adventure for it. You can find it attached to this post.

The upshot of the abandonded mine office is that it became home base for the players to which they returned (very often) to rest. Every session was ended there – more or less – so any missing players stayed behind to “heal up” If the did not make the next session.

I ran it for no less than four and no more than seven PCs.

2- Classes of PCs

The main four:
  • Human fighter
  • Human war mage
  • Human cleric
  • Human rogue

Others who participated:
  • Human wizard
  • Halfling rogue (deceased)
  • Human Psion
  • Half-elven Scout

3 - Areas too easy/ too hard - any deaths?

My impression was that the observatory was too easy. The warmage is particularly effective at lower level and with a high charisma cleric as well – the observatory was little of a challenge.

I ended up spicing up Filge’s Bedroom with an encounter situation I made up on the fly. The blow-by-blow of the Fight with the Vampire is available here for reading.

There were deaths. The Halfling rogue died against the brown mold after just an incredible series of rolls of “1” to get him out. It was the worst luck with dice I have ever seen at a RPG session – ever.

The party’s cleric died against the swarm and slasher.

A number of other near misses – probably over a half-dozen down and dying incidences. But that’s low level for you.

4- XP at end of module

All players made it to third level in the main group. One leveled up to third after the skeletons in Area 2 in the observatory; the others leveled up just after Filge was defeated.

5- Did you change things - if so - what?

Yes. I changed the abandoned mining office and added an entire encounter zone there. The adventure is attached here below.

I changed Filge’s tactics by having him create an illusionary vampire to intimidate the PCs. The link to that is also within this message.

6 - Hooks used

I began the session in media res. The backstory was that the party had been hunting an infestation of stirges in the Cairn Hills. As payment for this, they received their starting equipment from Tolliver Trask.

Their bonus payment for defeating the goblins holed up in the mining office was the deed to the mining office itself. Trask’s best friend in the garrison is also the man in charge of the Registry Office. 

7- Did you use Worm Food's suggested Mining office map as a home base? Did you set up encounters there to clear it out?

Yes and yes. The entire mini-adventure in the mining office is attached to this post in .doc format.

8- Swarms - ok or too much?

It was okay – though the party lost a PC to the encounter. I attribute this loss to a lack of dungeoneering preparation. Oil and alchemist’s fire would have handled this nicely – but they didn’t have enough.

Ultimately, this was a dramatic fight. I added an extra Mad Slasher to face what was then a party of five. As it turns out – this was too much and the party was either dead (cleric) or down and dying (rogue, warmage and psion). The fighter was the last one up against BOTH Mad Slashers and it was pure luck it was not a TPK.

9- Puzzles - ok or too much?

The puzzles were just enough in my opinion. Very enjoyable part of the module.

10- Favorite part

The fight with the ghoul in the shower area; the "Fight with The Vampire” in the observatory. The encounter with the owlbear was also memorable.

11- Least favorite

Second swarm and bombardier beetles was boring.

12 - Setting used and any conversion recommendations?

Greyhawk. Apart from the modifications noted above, I ran it straight up and out of the book, as it were.

13- Did you find it fun? Did your players find it fun?

I thought it was the best 1st level module I’ve ever had the privilege to run. The players seemed to enjoy it a lot too. We took slightly over 4 sessions to complete it.

14- Effective strategies

Warmages with 17 Int and Cha? Makes even a cantrip attack worthwhile.

The best strategy is simple: pull back out and rest until fully healed when injured. The module can be deadly enough without courting risk by not taking things on at your best.

15- Big mistakes?

Not running from the swarm and slashers with no oil and only one burning hands spell prepared.

Attachments

• The Ruined Mine Office.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Remove ads