• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Let's speculate about the future of gaming with the iPad.

Janx

Hero
re: nedjer, mix-n-max rules/campaigns via web apps

I don't think so. The barrier to entry for a web-app is still quite high. You have to know how to code to make an app, and have a hosting service that supports server side scripting (in most cases).

That's not the same as using a few hyperlinks to different tools that don't interoperate (like we do now) for individual tools. having sites that you can truly mix and match functionality is virtually impossible from a practical stance.

I think tablet users are going to be at the mercy of whatever software is available. Just as they are today, and have been since the advent of software. There's an old saw in my industry, when you buy a piece of software, you are buying an opinion on how to run your business. Because all software no matter how "flexible" still has assumptions about the process being modeled.

I do think that more tablets on the market will open up ideas and usages. If left alone, Apple's product will always be $500 and you'll always want the newer one because it's better in some "gotta have" kind of way that buying a used old one will be insufficient.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads